As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starcraft 2] East coast: Heart of the storm

fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
Welcome to the Starcraft 2 thread

gangnamstyle.jpg
The PA Crane Kick program!

We here at PA are a nice, friendly, bunch that want to help each other get better at SC2, typically through light-hearted pokes and jabs. But some players require a little more hands-on training. So, I have decided to create a Karate Kid style teacher and student program known hence forth as the Crane Kick program. Basically, one of our higher league players will personally train a lower level one on some aspect of their game they want to improve.

Fill out this form to join in! After filling out the form, look at the list of players found here and simply PM the coach/player you are interested in working with. Set up a time/date, communication software, and discuss what you want to learn/teach. GLHF!

Please read the following details to help things go smoothly:
All games will include 4 PA players in a non-ladder 1v1, 2 high ranked Miyagis and 2 low ranked Daniel-sans. The mentors will be in a special chat room with their students in mumble/skype giving them advice in real-time. All four start in the same chat channel then go into 2 different channels when the game starts. The two higher ranked people are observers that only follow the vision of their "student". Sound like fun? Again, fill out this form to join in! Find players/coaches here!

Players should:
-specify to their coach what they want to learn (stutter step, macro, X build order)
-already understand the basics of hotkeys, assigning groups, map pings
-listen and follow the advice of the coach
-watch their replays!
-take what they've learned and practice on their own time
-be respectful of their coaches and opponents time

Coaches should:
-not look at full map vision (cheater!)
-don't yell or harass the student, especially in tense battle situations
-offer insight as to WHY you want to do things and certain times
-explain what to look for when scouting builds
-be available for more than one game if possible
-offer follow up sessions if needed
-focus on one to two things at a time (micro, macro, build order, etc)

Let's see if we can get this thing off the ground and really help each other out more!

I want to play SC2 awesome like everyone else!

So, the SC2 thread goes a million miles per hour and will leave you in the dust if you aren't prepared. All things are open to discussion here from build orders, practice partners, race match-ups, tournament talk, and general bizarre Korean stuff. In order to keep up, I highly recommend you check out the following resources:

OK that's all cool, but I want to play with some PA people.
1) Log into Battle.net and join channel PA (on the NA realm). We all hang out there. Chat, 1v1 lobbies, and team shenanigans are always going on!

2) Sign up for a replay site such as gamereplays.org or drop.sc. This is a site where you can upload your replays. The perfect way to share your replays with the thread and get advice on how to get better. Gamereplays lets you post the cool banner that you frequently see on the internets and drop.sc lets you upload replays without having to create a new account.

3) Register with the PA SC2 1v1 Ranking site. Sign up for this awesome site to see where you stand amongst fellow PA members. Remember, this is important in the nurturing and expanding of your e-peen. Add yourself by clicking on [Manage Characters] on the top right side.

4) Sign up for the PA mumble page. Sign up if you want to chat with fellow PA users during games or watching tournaments. Thanks to Exoplasm for hosting the service and providing the step-by-step process for installing mumble.

JK. I like watching Starcraft instead. Where can I watch some good games?
Major tournaments. Starcraft is e-sports. Follow these major tournaments and you will not be disappoint.
  • The GSL. The premiere korean starcraft 2 league. Where the best go to play. Casted by Tastosis, the casting archon.
  • The TSL. Team Liquid's major tournament where foreigners stomp koreans and everyone attributes it to lag.
  • Major League Gaming. North American e-sports powerhouse now features Starcraft 2 (as long as their stream is online). "tahts halo dont worry".
  • North American Star League. The upstart league headed by fan-favorites Incontrol and Gretorp. $400k up for grabs in the first season alone.
  • IGN Pro League. Everyone's getting into e-sports, even IGN! 16 of the top players from North America duking it out for fabulous prizes.

And those are only the major ones! Follow the Team Liquid Tournament Tracker for more competitive goodness.

Streams. Perhaps you prefer something more intimate. Maybe watching starcraft 2 like it's Being John Malkovich? Thanks to the power of the Internet, there are infinity streams available for your voyeuristic pleasure. Here are our favorites.

Want more streams? Check out Teamliquid's live video stream page for more goodness.

fatalspoons on

• Options
    Sorry Dover, you weren't around. Otherwise I would have waited. You're much better with thread titles than I am.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I will end you, spoons. I swear this.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    I was going to grade on OP, but you both just plagiarized Dover.

Shameful.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    3clipse wrote: »
    I will end you, spoons. I swear this.
    Honestly 3clipse, I would have let you have it. I hate getting so many notifications when owning a thread.

But I was afraid we were gonna go all day without a penny-arcade thread, and I just couldn't let that happen.

Some people might call me heroic. And I let them.

fatalspoons on
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    It's a tradition round these parts. I think that OP was written years ago.

also tradition:

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    So a Dreamhack something-or-other happening this weekend? Is this something I should care about, or a fake tournament that is going to disappoint?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    You can turn off notifications for threads you made.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I don't really craft stars, I just watch other people craft stars and try to combat ladder anxiety.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Options
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    You can turn off notifications for threads you made.

Ah. I was not aware of this, as I do not start many threads. Thanks much.

• Options
    I feel guilty crafting stars when I have other work I should be doing. So I put up a stream for some "background noise" and then end up watching that but since it is officially "work time" I don't feel guilty about it :D

Until later right before deadlines and then I hate myself...

Steam profile
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    So a Dreamhack something-or-other happening this weekend? Is this something I should care about, or a fake tournament that is going to disappoint?
    dreamhack is for real

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Variable wrote: »
    dreamhack is for real
    Eeeeexcellent

I asked because I think there was another Dreamhack thingie that wasn't the "real" Dreamhack tournament, but qualifiers or something? (I dunno.) And so I was super-excited for Dreamhack and then it was disappointing :(

Steam profile
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I actually had a new thread created and sitting in a separate tab waiting for page 100 to appear. Normally I get yelled at when I create it at page 99-100. Oh well. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I actually had a new thread created and sitting in a separate tab waiting for page 100 to appear. Normally I get yelled at when I create it at page 99-100. Oh well. :)

Sorry man. Was it just the same thread, or did you have something to add?

• Options
    narwhalnarwhal monodon monoceros Registered User regular
    Okay, so awesome story time. This DOES involve SC2, just bear with me.
    So, I have to walk up 7 flights of stairs to get to the top apartment where I live, and walk around a corner past a few other apartments in order to get to mine all the way in the back corner. As I was making the same tiring journey today (much later at night so it was dark for the first time), I walked by my neighbor's apartment, and his lights were on, so I could actually see in for a change. I just had a glimpse as I was walking past, but my eye saw enough color and I was like "is that manga?" And it totally was! In fact, there was a bookshelf with sci fi books including Magic the Gathering, D&D, and then board games including Starcraft the board game (??? I was unaware this was a thing?)!
    So, I plop my stuff off at my place, and go back and knock, and I have nerdy neighbors! The mousepad one of the guys had was even SC2 themed, and I discovered there was ANOTHER bookshelf with even more sci-fi novels (even though he was Hungarian, they were all printed in English. Like, he had the entire Sandman collection from Gaiman.) I was able to find out this guy and his roomie were in their 30's, and he's doing his PhD in Chinese or something and also organizes conventions in the area. And I have been invited to their game night next week, and if I ever manage to get an EU account I can kick his ass because he's only silver :P But maybe not since I haven't played much recently.
    So yeah, after 2 months I finally found the Hungarian nerds. Turns out they were about 5 meters from my door...

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

I even sent you a panic txt!

Hopefully it got the point across.
    ;)

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    narwhal wrote: »
    So, I have to walk up 7 flights of stairs to get to the top apartment where I live, and walk around a corner past a few other apartments in order to get to mine all the way in the back corner. As I was making the same tiring journey today (much later at night so it was dark for the first time), I walked by my neighbor's apartment, and his lights were on, so I could actually see in for a change. I just had a glimpse as I was walking past, but my eye saw enough color and I was like "is that manga?" And it totally was! In fact, there was a bookshelf with sci fi books including Magic the Gathering, D&D, and then board games including Starcraft the board game (??? I was unaware this was a thing?)!
    So, I plop my stuff off at my place, and go back and knock, and I have nerdy neighbors! The mousepad one of the guys had was even SC2 themed, and I discovered there was ANOTHER bookshelf with even more sci-fi novels (even though he was Hungarian, they were all printed in English. Like, he had the entire Sandman collection from Gaiman.) I was able to find out this guy and his roomie were in their 30's, and he's doing his PhD in Chinese or something and also organizes conventions in the area. And I have been invited to their game night next week, and if I ever manage to get an EU account I can kick his ass because he's only silver :P But maybe not since I haven't played much recently.
    So yeah, after 2 months I finally found the Hungarian nerds. Turns out they were about 5 meters from my door...

Get him to join our Friday Night Drunken Customs. I'm sure he won't mind waking up at 3AM

• Options
    narwhal wrote: »

Once you beat them and take away their ladder points, MAKE SURE to emphasize that you only have ONE kidney, and it's not in really good sale-able shape either.

you'll thank me later...

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    edited September 2012

Shameful.

ed: nevermind

the timestamps on my posts are all weird-like

I still stand by this statement though:
    There's going to be some Aussies waking up soon and they're already cranky as it is, what with having to walk around upside down and using carrier-pigeon internet.

OP link, nerf plz.

@fatalspoons
    get it? op link?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    Yeah, you know I do the thread a lot when both my phone and facebook page get blown up with "DOVER, MAKE THE NEW THREAD!" messages. :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I own Starcraft: The Board Game.

It is interesting, though unfortunately I haven't gotten a chance to play it much. It does a pretty good job replicating the mechanics of Starcraft.

• Options
    MMMig wrote: »

Shameful.

fatalspoons
    get it? op link?

I do not. I'm kinda slow.

• Options
    Yeah, you know I do the thread a lot when both my phone and facebook page get blown up with "DOVER, MAKE THE NEW THREAD!" messages. :D

I'll be more patient next time Dover. Promise.

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    gotta play and stream more hots beta

gotta get those viewer numbers

but dark souls is just too strong

Biosys on
  • Options

Shameful.
    @Rorus Raz
    Can you link the new thread in your last post in the old thread?
    There's going to be some Aussies waking up soon and they're already cranky as it is, what with having to walk around upside down and using carrier-pigeon internet.

OP link, nerf plz.

@fatalspoons
    get it? op link?
    I did it thirty minutes ago.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Yeah I have a tendency to jump up and down when I'm excited and overtired and was on a bus for 6 hours today to Vienna and back, but I wanted to post my story about the fact that I FOUND PEOPLE WHO PLAY SC2 IN HUNGARY!!!! THEY DO IN FACT EXIST and they live RIGHT NEXT TO ME AAAAAAUGH

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    I like to keep the community on its toes. Keep the reflexes sharp, you know?

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options

It's all good. I'll just be more vigilant and snatch up the next thread in 2-3 weeks, pending major tournaments. Besides, we REALLY need to overhaul the next OP.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

It's all good. I'll just be more vigilant and snatch up the next thread in 2-3 weeks, pending major tournaments. Besides, we REALLY need to overhaul the next OP.

Yeah. Could probably use a bit of HOTS info.

• Options
    Guys,
    I don't know if I will get up for customs tomorrow. I think this week really took a lot out of me, so kinda just want to sleep in tomorrow. I'm beyond tired T_T

Narwhal#1834
  • Options

You know what korean music video we REALLY don't need in the OP?

l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular

You know what korean music video we REALLY don't need in the OP?

It better not be what I think it is...

<shakes old man fist>

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Variable wrote: »
    dreamhack is for real
    Eeeeexcellent

I asked because I think there was another Dreamhack thingie that wasn't the "real" Dreamhack tournament, but qualifiers or something? (I dunno.) And so I was super-excited for Dreamhack and then it was disappointing :(

Yeah I'm a bit confused between Dreamhack and the Eizo Open.
    I THINK, this year, the Eizo Open is the official SC2 tourney... according to their page.
    From DH wrote:
    DreamHack presents the 2nd stop in DreamHack EIZO Open sponsored by EIZO, AMD Sapphire and Twitch.TV which will be the official StarCraft II tournament at DreamHack Summer 2012. Registration is now open and below you’ll find all information you need to participate in the tournament.

This Weekend (i.e. now), is the Valencia Spain tourney.

dhopen_overview002.jpg

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • Options
    mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    The OP should be nothing but Kpop videos, if we're going for the authentic SC2 experience.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I am probably the only SC2 player who Kpop has not woven it's spell on. I still find it vapid and terrible in 99.9999% of cases, and no, looking at too-thin Korean women in the videos shaking around doesn't make the music any better.

I have to mute or pause streams that have decided kpop is a great time filler music.

Gangnam Style is the only exception to this.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    also Dreamhack started today right? Is anyone watching it and is Scarlett doing well?

Narwhal#1834
  • Options
    jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    The OP should be nothing but Kpop videos, if we're going for the authentic SC2 experience.

Also hairstyles.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I am probably the only SC2 player who Kpop has not woven it's spell on. I still find it vapid and terrible in 99.9999% of cases, and no, looking at too-thin Korean women in the videos shaking around doesn't make the music any better.

I have to mute or pause streams that have decided kpop is a great time filler music.

Gangnam Style is the only exception to this.

Nah, I'm the same way. Gangnam Style is my jam but the rest I don't really like.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    That's because Gangnam Style is just a good song. It's catchy, funny and incredibly well done. It's not carried completely by the fact that cute Korean girls are "singing" it.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    No kpop for me either.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.