As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

musique d’ameublement [Furnishings! Interior and Exterior Design!]

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    pooka wrote: »
    pipe, i have seen multiple Eames chairs around town -- it drives me crazy. and, one of 'em is in the window of the really nice vintage place, so odds are on it being authentic and mega-costly. i'm not even a fan of the design, i think it's just being that near to a Design Classic makes me covet it a little. but i'm also a bit obsessed with chairs.

Oh yeah I like the look of them fine, but that's not why I want one

I want one because I sat in a real one once

and it was like waking up after an incredible night's sleep after getting a full body massage the day before.

It was the most comfortable thing I have every experienced.

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    okay, as loosely promised, some pictures. nothing fancy or impressive, but i'm still pleased with them enough to keep 'em. all the fabric -- window treatments and on the chair -- are samples from when my dad was working at Lowe's.
    pretty sure i literally fished this one out of a dumpster; i think all my best things are underappreciated. i actually bought this shade from Target, since it is almost exactly what i had in mind.
    dsc01750nx.jpg

detail:
    dsc01754kx.jpg

this is my prize. the color of the vinyl is actually a bright teal, and while the arms are scratched all over (thanks, kitties and previous owners!), i love the contours on it. it's solid wood, and the back still looks great. the cushion's off because the foam completely rotted to bits and was raining on the floor, so i recently vacuumed out what i could and bagged it until i figure out how to reupholster it; the top has splits in it, so foam was poofing out the top of it for awhile, as well.

any time you feel bad about delaying a project (cough, @SporkAndrew), know that you are not alone. i slapped a flat pillow on top of that cushion to control the foam puffs and left it for a few years.

i have some floor cushions on it for now, so it's still usable. i found the chair sitting next to a dumpster on the way to work. god forbid someone else take it home, i hauled this puppy to the coffee shop with me; only about a mile from home to work, but still. i'm trying to remember if i got both chairs that night, but it's been too long.
    dsc01735rv.jpg

this is really a cheap, shitty chair (it has cardboard in the arms, and some kinda steel boning and wonky brads keeping the wrapped fabric taut, so re-upholstering is basically out of the question at my skill/budget level), but it's slick for what it is -- rescued from the trash. the cushion is part of the chair, so i just cleaned out all the foam i could, and replaced the cloth covering the springs to catch any leftovers. there's that sample fabric i mentioned -- those would be some ornate curtains, man. works great to class up the chair a little, though.
    dsc01736s.jpg

i love this lamp. one of the perks of being occasional shopgirl at the jumble store, it was free. the groovy shade lived on the other lamp for a long time and was also, you guessed it, rescued. you can see the arm of the couch, which i hate because it is scratchy and saggy. its colors do tie nicely with the stuff near the window, at least.
    dsc01738c.jpg

view from the couch. the curtains are tied back to discourage these ones from climbing; i like the ombre effect i've got going, though the camphoto is not great at conveying that. the extremely classy blue drawers on the right have most of my natural fiber skeins and some spinning stuff; the projects and acrylics hide elsewhere. i plan to put the cat tree in that spot, once i get my shit together and make it.
    dsc01740m.jpg

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    Arang wrote: »
    someone once told me my room looked like I had "bought all the cheapest stuff at IKEA"

it may even have been you, @pooka

but I like it anyway

@Arang, i don't know you well enough to be that mean to you. also, if i ever said that, it would likely be meant as a compliment, or grudging admiration; i mean, it's cheap stuff, but i appreciate the simple aesthetic and price point.

lfchwLd.jpg
    t-t-triple post!

@Quoth, i suggest getting a plank of some pretty lumber, sand, stain/paint it, and put some legs, finials, doorknobs, corbels/brackets, candlesticks, whatever on it. i've seen people use books as table legs, which could be permanent or temporary.

you could also make one out of a pallet, but that's a bit more involved. example: http://www.between3sisters.com/2011/11/diy-pallet-shoe-storage-bench-3215.html. or pay someone to do it fancy for you, ooh: http://www.etsy.com/listing/92648648/reclaimed-chevron-herringbone-pallet

cEw6l.jpg

i'm going to stop procrastinating, but i'll try to find more stuff for you later. what style and budget are you looking at?

lfchwLd.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2012
    pooka, those are some rad lamps.

This is ... some kind of lamp. Thought about buying it but I'm moving soon ...

tumblr_mapxi8Qxbo1qffewio1_500.jpg

tynic on
  • George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    1xMH7.jpg

The One True Desk. IKEA GALANT LEFT-CORNER WITH T-LEGS.

It's so spacious and minimal. I might try and add some shelves to mine for books, but for right now the record player is where I'd put shelves, so that ain't happenin'

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I would never be able to find the time to make such a thing!

Right now I'm leaning toward an Ikea Expedit shelf in black-brown

My couches are light beige, my tables are black, my entertainment unit is black, accent pillows have red and gray and brown as well

And my walls are a nice light green, the kind you see in like every magazine and a lot of Asian restaurants

edited September 2012
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    @Quoth
    You could also consider some media furniture, a lot of media consoles are low enough for what you want. Plus they're more likely to have doors and drawers, if that's useful. Or a bench you could put storage baskets under and use for display and storage most of the time, but extra seating when entertaining (I like multipurpose furniture, and benches under windows are nice).

From Ikea there's BESTÅ stuff and the BJURSTA bench in the black-brown color. West Elm and cb2 have some interesting options, but they're all above the $100 range.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
    Bjursta apparently doesn't make benches anymore, just a sideboard that's too tall

I was looking at the Besta stuff, too, and it might work! I think I'd need to do a toy inventory to see exactly what is be storing, because the shelves might be too narrow in height for baby stuff

I definitely want to use some kind of baskets or cloth drawers, easy for a baby to pull out but not slam fingers in

That's too bad on the bench; I'd found Bjursta Bench and thought that looked like a good fit.

For sure, with a baby 'there's never enough storage' becomes even more true. I had some friends do a toy wall with baskets and storage shelves in their living room, it worked out pretty nicely. Easy access & no finger slamming, but things looked nice for company. Of course, then you have to find both the shelves and the baskets you like.

That's the good thing about Ikea, they have both

But I'm not super in love with black-brown since my other furniture is black

At the same time, all black might be too matchy matchy

• interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    all black is always a solid decision

Summa Cum Laude, Hot Topic school of design.

Summa Cum Laude, Hot Topic school of design.

s c o f f

My dining room stuff is brown so there's that? It's all in the same big room really

But enough about that, who loves fancy libraries

i completely forgot this thing existed

http://www.milk.dk/products.php

:) Back on the furniture, there are a few Besta options in black (like the Burs) but the ones that work seem to be a lot more scratch. If Ikea has veneer samples available, it might be good to grab a few of those and check them out in the room.

I actually have an Expedit shelf in the color, I could drag it over and check, might not be a bad idea... Thanks!

edited September 2012
    so, i have the opportunity to get a similar desk off of craigslist for 40 bucks.

e4S6D.jpg
    from the measurements, it seems like it might fit my space well, and it's certainly classier than the folding table i'm currently using. but again, i think i'm longing for the cachet of a pristine vintage, for cheap, instead of really liking the design and bleached mahogany; it is beautiful, i just need to leave it for someone who will appreciate it fully.

vmCyc.jpg

i really need to figure out my damn style. light-looking (no plinth), medium stain, long legs, i think...

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    @Pooka: Agree with your feelings on the piece, it looks nice but it seems a lot visually heavier than the other stuff you have pictures of. Maybe hunt for something like 50s/60s danish modern style? Finding the right desk at the right price is hard, only thing I found trickier was hunting for a sideboard.

On the subject of those pictures, really like the lamp with the blue shade. Mod patterns are great, lots of impact.

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    TtStn.jpg

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    octopus-chair-20110113-1212321.jpg

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh my
    oh
    oh I want a house large enough that I could plonk that in there
    wood floors, all other furnishings elegant but normal

and then that chair just sitting there unobtrusively
    yes
    this is what I want.

U4k3I.jpg

i want to sleep on this

xdKhv.jpg

yes please

• Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    it looks so small!

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »
    U4k3I.jpg

i want to sleep on this

yeah it'd be so enjoyable to wake up in the morning and instantly shit myself

god that'd be freaky as fuck

Kochikens wrote: »
    Yeah but small can be lovely

not all of us can be pocket sized, kochi

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    Man, I would love to sleep on a be like that

I spent the ages of 5 to about 10 sleeping in a hammock kinda thing and it was awesome.

Nothing quite as relaxing as a hammock

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    edited October 2012
    the desk we have in my dad's old study. It's not really in use and has accrued the various detritus that come from Being A Family, but it's apparently made from actual spanish oak. From spain! So I think it's nifty. Also got a few neat stone busts he got on his trips to Africa. Also a terribly tacky lamp. I'd like to think he bought it ironically.

hMfw7.jpg

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • TefTef Registered User regular
    That's a nice desk

I really like that rug too

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    One of the min reasons I want my own place.

Decorate the shit out if it.

Blake T wrote: »
    One of the min reasons I want my own place.

Decorate the shit out if it.

saaaammmee

• tastypastrytastypastry Can somebody please remove these cutleries from my knees?Registered User regular
    Our current landlord is fine with us painting any walls and stuff and we have painted a few rooms but it will be nice to be able to make more permanent changes when we eventually own a home. One day!

• SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Kochi your appreciation of tiny houses pleases me.

Here are videos of two of my favourites:
    I still can't decide which one I want more.

Probably the one in Barcelona actually, the view is much nicer.

ImWcN1I.png?3
    oh yes
    i fucking love both those videos!!

the guy who did the second one sold it though : (

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Dang I love architectural design! I have strongly conflicting tastes though. I love Art Deco best of all, but also classical gothicism (gimme flying buttresses or give me death) and brutalism. As for interiors, once again two different non-co.patible schools of thought. Minimalism on one hand, and on the other Victorian opulence and luxury....