As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Starcraft 2] East coast: Heart of the storm

• fatalspoonsfatalspoons Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I just like it cause it's peppy.

And there's definitely worse music they could play between matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unfzfe8f9NI

fatalspoons on
    edited September 2012
    oops. Ignore please.

fatalspoons on
  • AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    I'm not a fan of kpop either. Pop in general is rarely my thing; too much of it ends up being about personality rather than the actual music.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    I dunno, I watch most tournaments, and it's pretty much the worst music I hear regularly. DreamHack seems to use like modern rock, which I am down with (they used Chevelle's entire Hats Off to the Bull one tournament, and that was awesome). NASL and IPL use dubstep, which I am fine with, since I mix dubstep and drum and bass as a DJ (or did, when I was younger). Day9 uses Blue Sky, Black Death.

Nope, really kpop is the worst of the filler musics I hear in SC2 tournaments.

And of course my opinion is always fact (tm).

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • mEEksamEEksa Registered User regular
    I think most people in this thread like Kpop more as a joke than actually enjoying it, Seguer aside.

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    mEEksa wrote: »
    I think most people in this thread like Kpop more as a joke than actually enjoying it, Seguer aside.

I dunno. There are some real wackjobs that post in this thread.

edited September 2012
    @crucialityfactor: I have a picture for you, if I can actually e-mail it to myself form work where I have shit cell coverage. If not, I'll put it up in like two hours when I get home. It's a surprise!*

No it's not a dick pic.
    Or is it :winky:

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    Hey, it actually sent.

@crucialityfactor
    wmQAJ.jpg

:)

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I dislike kpop as much as the rock they play at gsl and some other tournaments

I think dreamhack starts tonight (or early tomorrow) but I'm not completely sure.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/2012_DreamHack_Open/Valencia

no idea how they're gonna finish this in 2 days. damn.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    Well, GSL plays really horrible Korean power rock...so yeah. It's like Kpop rock style.

Dreamhack uses good rock music.

• BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    starts tommorow, at 11 cest/5 edt/2pdt

also yeah

two group stages (ro.64 and ro.32) + championship bracket is a looooot of games

i think the last dh open event was 2 days and seemed to work out well however so

oh I'm sure they've got it all planned out

both group stages are round robin BO3 as well, not even just bo1. I guess like one group stage one day, then the second and the championship brackets the second day... I mean, there's gonna be a lot of great starcraft to watch so no complaints it's just surprising.

also this just in, stephano to take entire tournament

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Well, GSL plays really horrible Korean power rock...so yeah. It's like Kpop rock style.

Dreamhack uses good rock music.

GSL isn't even korean power rock. Its just terrible American rock.

Although I think the GSL music has been getting slowly but steadily better over the last few seasons. They've stopped just picking random songs, it feels like, and started trying to be vaguely thematic about it. The map intro music is decent, and the jazzy stuff they play during a break is pretty good.

There are a couple of Kpop songs I think are pretty good, but on the whole its a pretty boring genre. Korean music to me feels pretty formulaic and repetitive. DnB and House and Dubstep do feel a lot more appropriate for a starcraft tournament. Its what I like to listen to when playing.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    No, some of it is definitely Korean power rock. Sure there is bad American rock...but a lot of it is Korean power rock. Very occasionally they play an American rock song from a band some of us have actually heard of, and would consider good...that's rare.

What qualifies as a good american rock band?

edited September 2012
    Hey, it actually sent.

@crucialityfactor
    wmQAJ.jpg

That is pretty rad. Looks like the 75th Anniversary of him writing there just passed. Did they do anything special for it? That partnership ended up being pretty big for both sides.

Edit: Nevermind, 75 years since the BPA opened. 71 since he wrote.

crucialityfactor on
    edited September 2012
    Modern or classic? I'll go with modern because it's what I listen to most:

Tool, Rage Against the Machine, A Perfect Circle, System of a Down, Chevelle, Deftones

That's just from glancing at my iPhone. I would consider those "top tier" American modern rock bands.

e: And this relates to SC2 because we've heard all of these bands played as filler music between matches!

GnomeTank on
    Modern or classic? I'll go with modern because it's what I listen to most:

Tool, Rage Against the Machine, A Perfect Circle, System of a Down, Chevelle, Deftones

That's just from glancing at my iPhone. I would consider those "top tier" American modern rock bands.

e: And this relates to SC2 because we've heard all of these bands played as filler music between matches!

All great bands, but those are all 90's bands.

None of them are 90's bands, unless you count Tool. The rest are all post 2000, post grunge. Even Tool has released more of it's albums in the 2000's than the 90's. Their break out hit came out in 2001 (Aenima).

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Tool put out an album in 2006 (and 2001, and '96...), is working on a new one, and I've seen them 3 times in the past 5 years...not really a 90's band xD

gsl plays music that sounds like Nickeblack which, I don't care where it comes from, sounds like shit. either it's american music trying to sound like them or korean. either way I hate it.

dubstep/D&B is at least usually not offensive even if it's not my favorite music.

the euro tournaments have, overall, had the best music imo. discounting TLO's epic stream music and stephano's classic rock.

Stephano and TLO have the two best soundtracks while streaming, hands down.

I prefer Machine and Idra, but we know my feelings about dubstep. I am actually listening to a Nero mix as we speak.

Clearly you don't watch apollo stream.

GSL plays Sum 41 and Rise Against too.

None of them are 90's bands, unless you count Tool. The rest are all post 2000, post grunge. Even Tool has released more of it's albums in the 2000's than the 90's. Their break out hit came out in 2001 (Aenima).

Meh. Well, they are good bands regardless. I wouldn't mind hearing them between breaks. But their music might be a little too preachy or moody for tournaments. I'm guessing tournament organizers are probably looking for lighter stuff. Hence Kpop.

Hey, it actually sent.

@crucialityfactor
    wmQAJ.jpg

That is pretty rad. Looks like the 75th Anniversary of him writing there just passed. Did they do anything special for it? That partnership ended up being pretty big for both sides.

Yeah, I have the little 75th anniversary key chain thingy. Yes, we had a little party thing.

I have no idea if we'll celebrate 75 years of Roll On Columbia, but I would guess we would, since Woody is mentioned EVERYWHERE around here. Literally everywhere. Half the artwork in this building has to do with his music somehow.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Aenima was '96. Lateralus was 2001, then 10,000 Days in 2006. Undertow came out in '93. So they're like, half and half, but are also actively working on a new album? Iunno. I'd love to see GSL/every tournament ever use Tool as their between games music.

I think my least favorite is actually MLG's shitty generic nu-metal.

3cl1ps3 on
    On the 2 year anniversary GSL show they played a "Best of" medley of the songs from the past 2 years throughout the broadcast. It pretty great. Its just that GSL music is very hit and miss, and when they miss, boy do they miss.

3clipse wrote: »

Aenima was '96. Lateralus was 2001, then 10,000 Days in 2006. Undertow came out in '93. So they're like, half and half, but are also actively working on a new album? Iunno. I'd love to see GSL/every tournament ever use Tool as their between games music.

I think my least favorite is actually MLG's shitty generic nu-metal.

Hmm, could have sworn Aenima was 2001, but I just checked wikipedia, you're right. I guess I think of it because that's the year I discovered it, and the band, and became a huge fan.

I have since seen them six times live, once at the Crystal Ballroom in Houston with only 4500 people in attendance. Yes, it was as awesome as it sounds.

What do they listen to?

I listen to electronica and classical when playing when I don't have a tv show/movie/podcast going

edited September 2012

Meh. Well, they are good bands regardless. I wouldn't mind hearing them between breaks. But their music might be a little too preachy or moody for tournaments. I'm guessing tournament organizers are probably looking for lighter stuff. Hence Kpop.

I'll agree, especially bands like Rage and System, are too preachy and political. Can you imagine Bulls on Parade being okay with a tournaments sponsors? I can't, at least not if they know what it's about.

e: Or Pocket Full of Shells, or Prison Sex, or Chop Sui.

GnomeTank on

Plus in theory you have to pay to be able to play most music at events like that. I feel like SC2 tournies are not at a stage yet where they can shell out for major record label artists.

Hey, it actually sent.

@crucialityfactor
    wmQAJ.jpg

Yeah, I have the little 75th anniversary key chain thingy. Yes, we had a little party thing.

I have no idea if we'll celebrate 75 years of Roll On Columbia, but I would guess we would, since Woody is mentioned EVERYWHERE around here. Literally everywhere. Half the artwork in this building has to do with his music somehow.

That's awesome. I'd love to work at a place that has such historical events tied to it. Hope you enjoy working there! :)

What do they listen to?

Stephano listens to classic rock, TLO listens to epic orchestral music, usually stuff from movie soundtracks.

Plus in theory you have to pay to be able to play most music at events like that. I feel like SC2 tournies are not at a stage yet where they can shell out for major record label artists.

Then you see Dreamhack uhh, Spring I think? Using Chevelle's Hat's Off to the Bull as the entire weekends soundtrack...so either they just did it illegal, or they paid good money for the rights to the entire album.

Hey, it actually sent.

@crucialityfactor
    wmQAJ.jpg

That's awesome. I'd love to work at a place that has such historical events tied to it. Hope you enjoy working there! :)

Well, it's the federal government...so I mean, if you can handle that sort of work environment, and you don't get bored...yeah, it's pretty awesome :)

edited September 2012

That awkward stage where you're big enough that you can't just use music willy nilly without caring about licensing issues, but you also can't afford to actually pay for any decent music.

jaziek on
    edited September 2012
    this tear vs byul game from gstl last night was crazy. game 6. one of the longest last battles I've ever seen... immo/sentry all in that lasts for seriously like 10 minutes just fightingfightingfighting

edit - 43 kill immortal

Variable on
This discussion has been closed.