As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    Anyone who goes to a Pho place and doesn't buy Pho deserves to be strung up and beaten.

and not in the fun, sexy way. In the lynch-mob hurty way.

Oh please.

Pho is amazing, I agree, but every now and then when me and my coworkers go to one of the Vietnamese restaurants in the area I want something different. Bo Luc Lac is pretty damn tasty too!

But yeah they should at least get a Vietnamese dish. Teriyaki Chicken? Come on!

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Yeah, there are plenty of other very tasty things to get at a Vietnamese restaurant than pho.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Skeith wrote: »
    I'm going to get a big greasy hamburger right now

And you know what

It's going to have an egg on it

Because

Sounds like you'd appreciate this.

At the bottom of the page

See also: Garbage Plate

yep

I appreciate it

I would like to try this dish someday.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    We went to a Pho place this week

and I had some amazing lemongrass chicken and chopped up spring rolls on rice.

I like pho, I just have to be in the right mood to eat soup.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, there are plenty of other very tasty things to get at a Vietnamese restaurant than pho.

tumblr_lydl5qQIcc1r1m7pho1_500.gif

easysig2.jpg
    me irl

tumblr_m5czbaGH7f1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

easysig2.jpg
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    So you're saying that Pho is the exception to the rule that Vietnamese food is bad?

no, but if pho is an option

eat pho

easysig2.jpg
    me irl

tumblr_m5czbaGH7f1rwcc6bo1_500.gif

8->

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    I really like pho

and I'm right

easysig2.jpg
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I really like vietnamese food. In general.

• DessartDessart Registered User regular

And you know what

Because

At the bottom of the page

See also: Garbage Plate

yep

I appreciate it

Oh god garbage plates are the best. Had a friend who worked at a place making them all day so I'd get them for free. Got so fat from that

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Pho is pretty awesome. However the last time I went to get some with my sisters family, my nephew ordered some kind of chicken platter. He was 10, so I cut him some slack and only stole half his food. (he was already done, btw) However, I wouldn't know what to order at a Pho place, if I couldn't get Pho.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »

And you know what

Because

Why is this not inside of me right now

It is one of the most simple things in the world to put together. The only thing that's even close to complex is the gravy.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Pho is pretty awesome. However the last time I went to get some with my sisters family, my nephew ordered some kind of chicken platter. He was 10, so I cut him some slack and only stole half his food. (he was already done, btw) However, I wouldn't know what to order at a Pho place, if I couldn't get Pho.

Well, it's not like everything else on the menu is made of exotic ingredients you've never heard of before. Lemongrass chicken, pork, or beef on rice or rice noodles? Shrimp skewers? Spring rolls with pork and shrimp? It's pretty straightforward stuff.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    So I decided to try a pan seared steak this time

http://i.imgur.com/JgkFA.jpg

It turned out pretty tasty.

Tallahasseeriel on
    edited September 2012
    turn up your heat, and dry off the meat before it hits the pan

Stale on
    easysig2.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Yeah I figured as much.

Should probably be more dark brown.

But at least it tasted okay.

I actually had the stove top at max heat, so I'm not sure what is up with that, maybe I should have given longer but was worried it might stick since I just re-seasoned the skillet the other day.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Pho is delicioussss

Other Vietnamese food is probably fantastic as well but I will never know for sure because I will be ordering the pho

Well, it's a ribeye. It shouldn't taste ok. It should taste bloody brilliant.

Tasting ok is fine for top sirloin.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Well, it's a ribeye. It shouldn't taste ok. It should taste bloody brilliant.

Tasting ok is fine for top sirloin.

Oh yeah. It tasted pretty great.

I just was underselling it since I posted a picture and you all would probably think it looks underwhelming at best.

I enjoyed it though.

make sure it's dry and at room temp before it hits the pan.

if it's wet and cold, you steam your steak instead of searing your steak.

and judging by the mostly-grey exterior, thats probably what happened. If I recall, you like your steak cooked to death. In which case nothing you do will save it.

easysig2.jpg
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I can't wait until the farm nearby finally opens up for butchering season again. Soon I will have delicious meats right off the cow. Hearts and livers! And perhaps I'll get me some venison as well.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Yes, I do keep a mental rolodex of people who like over-cooked food

don't you?

easysig2.jpg
    Actually I like mine medium rare. I.e. The only good way. So this was a little well done for me.

And yeah I didn't give out enough time to dry and reach room temperature. Thanks for the advice. I've got 2 more that were not thawed enough. I'll try those tomorrow.

I love medium rare beef. :( I just suck at cooking it.

It's not that hard. You just need to practice until you get the temperature hot enough that it gets a good sear on while being practiced enough to know when it's at the right doneness. Don't fiddle with your meat. Don't poke it, don't cut it to see how done it is. Learn to recognize how done it is by looking at it and listening to it. Or do the thumb test:
    http://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/03/12/how-to-tell-when-a-steak-is-done/

But don't flip that steak around multiple times. My brother did this recently when I brought over some marinated thighs to grill and I felt like slapping him because he's supposed to be a good cook and should know better. Those thighs took fucking forever because he couldn't just let them be.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    Know what's better than pho?

Boat noodles with beef and tripe. Try finding a good hole-in-the-wall Thai place and get some. Broth is crack in liquid form. So fucking good.

• nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    It's not that hard. You just need to practice until you get the temperature hot enough that it gets a good sear on while being practiced enough to know when it's at the right doneness. Don't fiddle with your meat. Don't poke it, don't cut it to see how done it is. Learn to recognize how done it is by looking at it and listening to it. Or do the thumb test:
    http://grillinfools.com/blog/2009/03/12/how-to-tell-when-a-steak-is-done/

But don't flip that steak around multiple times. My brother did this recently when I brought over some marinated thighs to grill and I felt like slapping him because he's supposed to be a good cook and should know better. Those thighs took fucking forever because he couldn't just let them be.

Agree.
    I prefer the 5-5-5-5 method.
    But this only works if you know your oven is to temp.

nevillexmassig1.png
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I have gotten pretty good at cooking thighs, especially the part about not fiddling with them to see how they're doing

It really is hard not to do a little flip check, but that screws it up, so

Gotta distract myself with stuff like making sides or getting wine

cook with confidence

easysig2.jpg
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Wine confidence

The best kind

Quoth on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    picked up some rice vermicelli the other day.

going to see what kinds of exciting things I can make them do!

should be good for my diet too! since I can't have white flour products, but I still find myself craving noodles at times. This should work out well for me!

I hope.

• SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Wheat allergy? Maybe give rice noodles a shot if you can find some.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Yes, I do keep a mental rolodex of people who like over-cooked food

don't you?

I just shoot them.

So, kind of....?

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I've been brought to trial over a dozen time.

No jury in the world has the balls to convict me.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Wheat allergy? Maybe give rice noodles a shot if you can find some.

nope.

weight-loss plan.

it's working, so i try to not complain. and yeah, these are rice vermicelli.

thinking about rice paper wraps too.

Made some tasty Manhattan clam chowder for dinner last night.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Who's eating pork buns?

It's bart me.

[img][/img]C423BAD0-3D47-4344-AC94-F882A168291F-692-0000004E69B7F6D7_zpsced288b5.jpg

This discussion has been closed.