As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old STEAM Thread

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited October 2012 in Games and Technology
DNfgD.png

vmtdB.gif

wB8BA.jpg

NYkZ8.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png
XsRkA.jpg

facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping with Steam: Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
n6r4F.jpg

tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

indiegala.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

steamgifting.jpg

neverfinish.jpg

coupons.jpg

P9CBk.jpg

fpota.jpg

steamprayer.jpg

trainsj.jpg

contestvd.jpg

LHrXd.png

l4W8s.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?
Steam Sales is great for current sales and for the history of each game (when it has been on sale before, etc).
SteamGameSales.com is good for what's on sale now.

2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious, right?

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster. Valve games are typically the only packs that let you do this, and even then it sometimes doesn't work.

4. Why isn't {Insert Game Here} available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game. This very thread is a great place to ask!

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite. Just as a word of advice, we tend to prefer that you be a regular contributor to get an invite to the group. The rule of thumb is 6 months of activity on the forums. We are well known for our generosity, and like to make sure any new additions are here for the good of the community, and not to leech during sales. That said, we're a friendly group, so make yourself at home and start posting and you'll be there in no time!

6. As a Classy Person I am giving away a game on SteamGifts. How do I get the pretty picture to post in the thread?
wCby7.png?1

7. My Steam Chat Font is Too Small!

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. This is not optional. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.

A few things to remember as a giftee:
1. Make it possible to track you from PA Forums to Steam. A link directly to your steam ID is usually the most convenient. Remember, your Steam ID is different than your steam name. If you just include text to your steam name, we have to search and scroll through 5 pages to find you (and we may not find you if you're not using the same name/avatar combo!).

2. Make it possible to track you from Steam to PA Forums. Best bet is using similar avatar/name. Understandably, some people don't want to do that. In that case, you should have "I'm ______ on Penny Arcade Forums!" in your profile blurb.

Generally speaking, if you're selected for a gift from a stranger on here it will be, usually, one of two ways:

You will either post in the thread (so they will go to your profile to friend you and then to the store to send a gift.
—or—
Someone will want to gift a certain game and go to the store page where you can see everyone who has it on their wishlist.

Also, remember that a gifter can see when you added a game to your wishlist. If you add it on the day of the sale, you might have a smaller chance of being gifted it than someone who has been interested in it since release. Gifters should also make sure they are identifiable from Steam to PA Forums. Some people are shy and are too nervous to message a gifter and say "hey thanks, I have no idea who you are on forums!"

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not. Hint: you probably do.

Aussies
You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.

Also: Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

I've also been told you Aussies might want to try Angus Wolfcastle's SteamManager. Setting it up is easy is you follow the instructions here. If you find you're still being charged for your steam downloads, try changing the setting like in this link here.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner is a handy little tool to remove all those .NET installers and DirectX installers and so on that every Steam game downloads because it's apparently 1927 in computer years and nobody has figured out how to let you install a Steam game without going through a 12 step process to reinstall a bunch of stuff you installed yesterday when you played another Steam game.

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

fzsT8.pngWhat's All This About "Serving the Newell?"tErbf.png
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

Oh, and remember:
RPSCB.jpg

And also remember...
lJ0tJ.png
Nobody expects the PA Inquisition!

TychoCelchuuu on

• CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    That fresh new thread smell, mmmm mmm.

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I just realized I haven't looked at a Steam thread OP in a long time. Remember when there were LewieP comic edits? Ah, those were the days.

• Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I... I think I'm in trouble. I was playing Civ V for the first time last night and looked over and suddenly it was 4AM.

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    I... I think I'm in trouble. I was playing Civ V for the first time last night and looked over and suddenly it was 4AM.

ONE OF US! ONE OF US!

But seriously, Civ V is a fantastic game. If you like it give Gods & Kings a try (it's almost always on sale over at GreenManGaming).

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    REPOAST!

So Left 4 Dead 2 is getting Steam Workshop support on PC, Mac and Linux.

No, that wasn't a typo. Linux support for Steam and L4D2 is coming sometime in the middle of next month: Source
    The Steam Workshop website will allow you to browse, rate, and discuss thousands of community created add-ons and even install them directly to your game with just one click of the mouse. We are also going to try an experiment with the L4D2 Workshop that will allow content to appear in the L4D2 world even more seamlessly based on the community’s response.

To compliment the new access to maps, weapons, and items, we are also creating an expanded scripting tool to allow deeper and more varied experiences inside of Left 4 Dead 2. Similar to the current Mutations, these experiences can be laid on top of existing maps or included with brand new maps. These new style Mutations will also be available from the Steam Workshop.

All of this will also be available not just on the PC and Mac, but also for Linux users as well starting in the middle of next month and rolling out from there. We will have more details as we get closer to launch.

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder for the Friday night crowd:
    signature.png

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    So..Saints Row 3 huh? Based on all the praise, I need to give it another shot. I didn't put much time into it even though I got it on release.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    So Steam on Linux is basically just going to be Source Engine and a few indie games for a while, right?

If they continue with Steamplay it would be pretty cool to buy a game and then have copies of it for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    My boxed copy of BL2 came in the mail but I bought it on GMG to play at launch so I got a spare key. I also got a second Premiere Club code in an email to go with it. I don't need either so I am looking to trade them for TL2 and a BL2 Season Pass.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • bobwocobobwoco Registered User regular
    So Steam on Linux is basically just going to be Source Engine and a few indie games for a while, right?

If they continue with Steamplay it would be pretty cool to buy a game and then have copies of it for Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Among other things, I know all the Humble Indie Bundle games can be put on Linux Steam.

Steam ID: wocobob
    steam_sig.png
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Hm. What is this Kung Fu Strike thing? Is it worth it?

Steam ID: Right here.
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    My dream with the whole Steam on Linux thing right now is that Valve is doing some internal WINE development to make it work on everything in the Valve catalog that doesn't have Linux ports available.

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Drascin wrote: »
    Hm. What is this Kung Fu Strike thing? Is it worth it?

Martial Arts beat 'em up, good fighting system.

Try the demo and see for yourself. I had a blast with it, but the fact that it's not online multiplayer plus the current backlog doesn't help.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Okay, new giveaway time.

As some of you may know, I won a copy of Far Cry 2 from a Steamgifts giveaway. Well, that game is awesome.

So I went and picked up this:

1893.jpg

So now I am stuck with a dilemma. What kind of contest should I hold to give people a chance to enter my Steamgifts Far Cry Complete (meaning Far Cry 1 and 2 in a single package) giveaway?

Then it occurred to me. The computer in every game cheats. That what computers do. They cheat because they can. In Puzzle Quest, they know which three matches will grant them that (supposedly 5% chance) extra turn and they'll pick it over a 4-match. In Tekken, Jinpachi once hit me with an unblockable stun move, then a super for half my health, then the same unblockable stun, then the super again. I want you to PM me your best stories about Cheating AI.

I'm talking Geese Howard in King of Fighters bad, I'm talking Black Bull in F-Zero GX bad. Bring your worst.

Ends tomorrow at Midnight!

• ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    what is going on with the chat servers? I got booted and now it wont show any info in the friends panel, or let me join the rooms

• citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    what is going on with the chat servers? I got booted and now it wont show any info in the friends panel, or let me join the rooms

Might be a server-side issue with Steam.

My son's account can't even log in right now - he was trying to play Spiral Knights and it was telling him his account was invalid, and suggested we log out and back in. Tried to do so and it said it didn't recognize the password.

Tried to reset the password, says the Steam servers aren't available.

My account works fine though. And nobody should have his account - I haven't gotten an email about it being accessed on another PC.

citizen059 on
  • MassenaMassena Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yeah me and the wife can't keep a steady game of Borderlands going, it's something Steam side I think, as our connection to Steam keeps popping in and out, but connectivity overall is fine.

Massena on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Its cool, will be fixed shortly. Just preparing for Half-Life3.

They've been having server issues since yesterday. Probably the same issue just more pronounced as the user load increases on a Friday night.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    New thread means new opportunity to shill my giveaway.

it's a boring steamgifts giveaway, but i'm proud of it.

signature.png

So enter, you fools.

• StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

Civ V is essentially one-way time travel, as I understand it.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
    So far Saints Row seems like they got a bunch of guys together and continuously asked "What would be completely awesome balls!?"

And it is awesome balls.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

The only games that have done that to me are the original Dead Space and Crusader Kings II. It just happened the once with Dead Space; I looked at the clock, saw it was past three and decided I wasn't going to get any worthwhile sleep, finished the game in one sitting). With Crusader Kings II, I start playing at 9pm or so and an hour later it's 2am. That happens on a regular basis.

I got Saints Row the Third today. Going to start that one shortly.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • LavaKnightLavaKnight Registered User regular
    Oh man, Red Orchestra 2 for $7.00? I feel kind of bad for Tripwire seeing that.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    LavaKnight wrote: »
    It's Tripwires fault for shitting that game up. It's not a bad game, but it's so much worse than it could be because they've spent basically the entire time since release trying to make it more appealing to casual players who are just going to play BF3 and CoD because those are much better generic shooters, and meanwhile they largely neglected the hardcore realism fanbase that made Red Orchestra a success in the first place.

It's Tripwires fault for shitting that game up. It's not a bad game, but it's so much worse than it could be because they've spent basically the entire time since release trying to make it more appealing to casual players who are just going to play BF3 and CoD because those are much better generic shooters, and meanwhile they largely neglected the hardcore realism fanbase that made Red Orchestra a success in the first place.

Seriously? I haven't come back since a bit after release, so I don't know exactly what went up. Did people abandon it altogether?

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    It's not so bad as that. They also added a new mode that's pretty much like Ostfront in terms of heavy realism. As far as a player base goes, I'm not so sure how that's doing.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »

Seriously? I haven't come back since a bit after release, so I don't know exactly what went up. Did people abandon it altogether?
    Like @Drake mentioned, they did add a more realistic mode which is what the game should've been from the beginning, but the patch where they added that was also the patch where they added a much more arcadey mode at the same time, presumably because they think they can defeat BF3 and CoD at the multiplayer shooter game. Right now they're working on the campaign instead of adding the vehicles that everyone wants, and in general it has been hemorrhaging players because people who enjoyed Red Orchestra have realized that the original is still a better game in a lot of ways because the maps are better, it actually has more than two vehicles, and because it has had years of developer tuning to make the realism fun rather than months of developer tuning to add casual game modes and other silly stuff.

I really agree with that. I never did understand why they were trying to appeal to players who've already settled into favorite franchises for the most part.

Another issue is they bit off more than they could chew in attempting to model tanks down to crazy details. Sure the interior textures are immersive, but I think their actual playerbase would have been happier to see a few more vehicles.

It's just a wildly uneven, schizophrenic game. I wish Tripwire had just acknowledged that their player base are the guys who drool over TOE charts and scrutinize photographs of obscure WW II era weaponry to try and divine what factory it was issued from.

I do really like a lot of the things they did and updated with RO2 but the missteps that they made are the kind that are difficult to recover from. I and a few other people I know were really interested in the Co-Op campaign that the game was supposed to have for instance, but that's basically vanished at this point and I don't know if it'll ever resurface.

At least the game may make a base for some incredible total conversions that aren't afraid to cater to the games actual player base.

Oh man, To The Moon...

... oh man.
    :cry:
    Holy shit that was... perfect.
    :cry:

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • RoyceX7RoyceX7 Registered User regular
    Thanks to @38thDoe for the Crysis giveaway. I was out of town for a while and just released this incredible gift in my pocket. Cheers!

Steam: RoyceX7

steam_sig.png
  • MisterMMisterM UKRegistered User regular
    Could I please get an invite to the PA Steam Group?

...purdy please?

SCII-EU: MisterM.868 // LoL-EU-West: MisterM868 // Diablo3: MisterM#2476
    steam_sig.png
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular

As far as I know, L4D2 will be the only Valve game on Linux at first. I'd guess others will come after that, but L4D2 is the only one they've talked about publicly.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I couldn't resist SR3 when I saw it on sale yesterday. Now to see if System Requirements Lab was telling me the truth or not about being able to run it.

camo_sig2.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Gamefly has a good sale on Warner Bros games.

http://www.gamefly.com/download-games/search/?kw=WBWeekend&pf=1100

Notables are FEAR 3 and Lord of the Rings War in the North for 5 bucks that are Steam redeemable. Rest are not, but some good deals in there.

This code will also save another 20 percent 1GFT82012 supposedly.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    SR3 is pretty damn worth it.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    So!

I had some great submissions for my BL2 competition and it was a pretty tough choice but it the end I had to go with @Vamen and his painful, failed attempt at winning over his first high school crush

Congrats man! Get in touch and We'll sort out getting you the game!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    signature.png

Murray commands you to play Tales of Monkey Island while he strides with your head on a pike! Fine! Rolls! Rolls through the gates of hell! Muahahahaha!

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    God I wish Arkham City was Steamworks.

I also kinda wish the War in the North sale was for the 360 since I really only want it as a coop game and apparently the PC version lacks local coop.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Tef wrote: »
    So!

I had some great submissions for my BL2 competition and it was a pretty tough choice but it the end I had to go with @Vamen and his painful, failed attempt at winning over his first high school crush

Congrats man! Get in touch and We'll sort out getting you the game!

Haha WOO! Finally that dreadful evening can have a little positive light.

You're the man, awesome contest. Thanks so much =)

This discussion has been closed.