As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Phalla] The Phallacian Complex: Sign Ups Open

124»

• Options
    zalzal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The mafia games I've participated in disallowed lying, is that also enforced here as well (couldn't find an answer by searching the older threads)?

zal on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How the hell would that work?

Villager 1: "I'm a villager."
    Villager 2: "I'm also a villager."
    Mafioso: "...Dammit."

cheez on
  • Options
    zalzal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cheez wrote: »
    How the hell would that work?

Villager 1: "I'm a villager."
    Villager 2: "I'm also a villager."
    Mafioso: "...Dammit."

Well, the whole point of the game is not to reveal your identity, so if you play it by telling everyone who you are (thereby negating the mystery), then you may as well not be playing the game at all. I don't know, I guess it may sound strange to people that never play it that way, but it really makes observing your fellow players all that more important, because you need to be able to pick up clues to misdirect and accuse people with. However, for online play, since you can't visually see how everybody acts, I can understand why you can't disallow it, but I just wanted to make sure (I guess it seem like a silly question now I've thought more about it =P ).

zal on
  • Options
    cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Interesting. I assume you've only played this game in RL, then. I haven't, but even for RL play, it sounds weird to prohibit lying. It's a game of paranoia and facades.

Anyway, to answer your question, lies are quite profuse in these games. It's up to each person whether they want to announce what they are.

cheez on
  • Options
    ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The ability to lie or tell the truth in these games allows the mafia (bad guy group) more places to hide in.

Without the ability to announce anything, it gives thoughtful bad guys one less option of how they want to play the game.

We've had games where a bad guy would pretend to be a seer, vigilante, stonecutter or any other various roles in order to not only save themselves, but to buy the trust of others.

It mostly means that you can never trust someone 100% in what they say unless somehow they can be verified to everyone through a narration. That is a very rare thing to see as well.

Basically, it gives the villagers more they can try to do and more options to the bad guys.

Ardor on
  • Options
    BinkBink Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How often are there "village idiots" in the games run on these forums?

Bink on
    This post in no way reflects the views, opinions, thoughts or beliefs of anyone at all, and these forums take no responsibility for the actions or subsequent consequences of the author during his attempts to "Maek poast".
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2007
    Bink wrote: »

only when B:L plays.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Typically one or two people will exhibit characteristics you are probably referring to. They are usually active people, so it still makes things interesting.

The key is to not let any one or two people control a debate on any given day. In SS13 it allowed our bad guy group to take control of the voting to decimate innocents.

Ardor on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I always tell the truth in my roles. For I am everyones friend.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    There's typically two types of people in this game.

Precisionk
    Everyone else

I just thought I'd point that out. He's in his own class. That's not necessarily a good thing, no matter how you look at it.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ardor wrote: »
    Typically one or two people will exhibit characteristics you are probably referring to. They are usually active people, so it still makes things interesting.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the people whose victory condition is "get executed by the village". This is my first phalla, so I'm just curious about what is the same and what is different from the wiki article.

Bink on
    This post in no way reflects the views, opinions, thoughts or beliefs of anyone at all, and these forums take no responsibility for the actions or subsequent consequences of the author during his attempts to "Maek poast".
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the people whose victory condition is "get executed by the village". This is my first phalla, so I'm just curious about what is the same and what is different from the wiki article.

The typical games we have had in PA here had the following:

Villager (must eliminate the vampire/mafia/bad guys)
    Bad Guys (must eliminate the villagers to the point where they cannot win)
    Vigilante (Good guy villager who can kill someone every/every other night)
    Seer (Good guy villager who can target someone each night and find out what they are)
    Guardian (Good guy villager who can guard someone from all attacks other than the vote once per night)

Typically, these roles will exist, but the games have gone through themes now, which can include multiple factions or multiple bad guy groups, hidden rules/roles, etc.

If you have some time, go to Thorgot's sign up thread stickied at the top of this forum and look at the bottom of his first post, it has links to the games that have taken place in the ODaM forum. Check out some of those games or at least the rules and roles posts of each at the beginning to see what kinds of things we have gone through. You can also find some older games that were held in the D&D forum located in the archives section of the PA forum.

To you question of the village idiot, I don't think I've seen that role. Thorgot's latest game may have had someone like that and the D&D game that will start this weekend might also have something like that.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome, I love D&D. I shall have to hunt down this game. Thanks Ardor.

Bink on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Awesome, I love D&D. I shall have to hunt down this game. Thanks Ardor.

To clarify, D&D = Debate and Discourse. That's the forum where these games occur with two week breaks in between. Here in ODaM they are almost constantly in progress.

There are also some in the SE forum.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Heh yeah. That's precisely what I thought you meant... I so totally didn't just get excited because I thought someone was running a Dungeons and Dragons phalla. Not at all. Heh.

Bink on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    jdarksun wrote: »
    Hylianbunny (The Zodiac Phalla Story) - The one that started Zerinan's Day 2 death rule.

That was life3.
    Bink wrote:
    Heh yeah. That's precisely what I thought you meant... I so totally didn't just get excited because I thought someone was running a Dungeons and Dragons phalla. Not at all. Heh.

We did.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007

Actually, I ran a Dungeons & Dragons (The Cartoon) Mini-Phalla in ODaM.

Phallus and Phagons

Thorgot doesn't list Mini-Phallas.

edit Beat'n

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    life3 seer'd zerinan night 1, so he ended up dying night 2.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Vic wrote: »
    Last Son wrote: »
    Hurray, I finally got the role PMs written. I enjoy writing the background and the narrative but for some reason I just dreaded writing the role PMs.

I can't wait to see how this plays out. I've always enjoyed going back and reading through phallas once they're over and I know what role everyone is so it should be a trip watching it in real time.

Was my signup too late? Or did you just miss me?

I have you listed on my spreadsheet, I guess I just forgot to edit the OP.
    Signups will be closing in 55minutes, with roles being assigned shortly afterward.
    Ardor wrote:
    The typical games we have had in PA here had the following:

Villager (must eliminate the vampire/mafia/bad guys)
    Bad Guys (must eliminate the villagers to the point where they cannot win)
    Vigilante (Good guy villager who can kill someone every/every other night)
    Seer (Good guy villager who can target someone each night and find out what they are)
    Guardian (Good guy villager who can guard someone from all attacks other than the vote once per night)

Another common role is the stonecutter, a group of people(usually 2-4) that all know each other are innocent. A lot of recent games have been including new roles, or old roles with new rules though.
    Zal wrote:
    The mafia games I've participated in disallowed lying, is that also enforced here as well (couldn't find an answer by searching the older threads)?

Lying is allowed, just try to make it believable since people caught in obvious lies tend to be bandwagon'd hard.
    Bink wrote:
    I think Thorgot's recent game had one, I don't remember one other than that. I've never really figured out how that would work, since getting people to vote for you is much easier than getting people to not vote for you.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    robothero wrote: »
    life3 seer'd zerinan night 1, so he ended up dying night 2.

I think he died night 2 in V:tM game as well, he was my backup for the assamite deal, but he died before I did.

EDIT: Ahh, memory lane. Quoted from jdarksun with my roles for my own sake and memory.
    • Saburbia (Haunted House) - Stupid statues taking me away night 1 (villager).
    • PsychoLarry (Comic Book Style) - This was really fun to watch.
    • Hylianbunny (The Zodiac Phalla Story) - I got eaten night 3 because Plutonium sucks (Larg ninja).
    • Gnasty (The Kingdom of Phalla vol. 1: The Caves of Phalla) - I started with the shield item, which Shamus took. He then contacted me as Captain America. (Villager with item)
    • EvilBadman (Phallanoia) (35-40) - I was destroyed night 1 by phazer blasting. That was a lot of fun. I even took out athan with my blaster! (Villager)
    • CJ Iwakura (Vampire: Masquerade - Where I started my trend of making deals with my enemy. (Tremere stoncutter)
    • Rygar (Space Phalla) (50) - So it was written in the book of rage. Interesting to watch for sure.
    • RBB and VH (Soviet Phalla) - The one where Lady Eri quit (legendary). I was also put on the back of a milk carton thanks to the council abducting me. (villager)
    • ElJeffe (Phalliad) - Athan, I am jealous you had that chance. Yay resurrection staff! (Oracle - seer)
    • Visiblehowl (Kingdoms of Phallacia) - I didn't watch this one.

Ardor on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

Everyone will be receiving the villager PM, followed by myself sending out the special roles. The game thread will go up once I have sent out all of the role PMs.

Last Son on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    All roles PMs have been sent out and the game thread is up Here.

Last Son on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    By the way, my game didn't have any village idiots. I actually wrote up a role PM for one, but decided to leave the role for a later game.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thorgot wrote: »
    By the way, my game didn't have any village idiots.

Are you sure about that? :winky:

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar