As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

we're living in the cyberpunk future

• KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »
    are those shields made outta wicker

Pretty much everything about that picture is great.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    No lie, I went to a seminar on flying car (well, flying personal transport vehicle) research a few months ago.

Pretty much the only serious objection developers are having trouble getting around is "People drive like butts."

• HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I just can't call it the future until we have consumer-grade flying cars or teleporters or both

After seeing the way people drive, I constantly wonder why people don't cross their fingers and hope fervently that the flying car is never invented.

Yeah, people still can't handle 2 dimensions for traveling.

Don't throw them a Z axis before they have a handle on X and Y.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Flying cars are the dumbest fucking idea. Look, the reason we don't have flying cars isn't because the technology of flight has so far eluded our simple minds but because it's a fundamentally idiotic idea.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Flying cars are the dumbest fucking idea. Look, the reason we don't have flying cars isn't because the technology of flight has so far eluded our simple minds but because it's a fundamentally idiotic idea.

What? No I just don't want a simple fender bender to end up crashing through my roof.

• Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    And really if you wanna get technical

We're in the post-cyberpunk future. Post-cyberpunk being the nebulous literary genre that basically happened when the guys who actually started cyberpunk moved on. Neal Stephenson's The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon get in to this in two different ways: Diamond Age has the future moving on from Snow Crash *punk, and Cryptonomicon (Reamde as well) has guys who act the punk role within the new future relative to the 80s.

*punk authors have realized the "we live in the post-cyberpunk future" thing for years now.
    Valuable reading: http://motherboard.vice.com/2012/6/6/it-evolved-into-birds-ten-science-fictional-thinkers-on-the-past-and-future-of-cyberpunk

No actually we don't want to be more technical; we want to be more fun!

And dream about cybernetic arms with retractable spurs

• SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Proof we are living in a Cyberpunk future?

Cyber-Racism

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    yo where's my jetpack

PNk1Ml4.png
    also hoverboard

PNk1Ml4.png
    I wrote this little piece on the genre aspect a while back, called "A Difficult Truth of Genre Nomenclature", specifically dealing with the fact that a lot of people consider any gritty futuristic art cyberpunk. But it also gets into a few deeper thoughts.
    Sorry to break it to some of you, but not everything grittily futuristic is cyberpunk. And not everything that looks to be between 1850 and 1910 is steampunk - if “steampunk” was ever truly a genre to begin with and not just an overblown retro-nerd-pop-art movement stemming from Gibson and Sterling’s The Difference Engine. And don’t ever forget that the “punk” part needs to be in there to count, and far more than just aesthetically - a cyberpunk and steampunk alike must be gritty, intelligent, and strive against the system.

But within the literary world, and thus the *punk genres themselves, it’s far more complicated than that. The truth is, categorizing things strictly as cyberpunk is both inaccurate and limiting; most post-Snow Crash *punk-y stuff (and even a good bit of pre-Snow Crash stuff - see the original Ghost in the Shell manga for a shining example) created by forward-thinking authors is actually outside of the original cyberpunk bubble, and for a reason - that original ideal concept of the characters like the hacker kid and the razorgirl fighting in a corporate future, once revolutionary, has become overly codified. The once edgy imagery of that future has become pop media standard. And the futures involved become less commentary, warning, or meditation, and more box office tickets and video game sales. Commentary is still viable in this frame, when written well, but it’s become all too identifiable in the three decades since the first “Cyberpunk” short story emerged. In the minds of some, if not most, thinkers crucial to building the original cyberpunk genre, that ideal of the imperfect future even came true in some form. These same authors have moved on with their works, still considering the present and its implications for the future, but from new vantage points.

Consider the opening of Neal Stephenson’s The Diamond Age, in which a classic cyberpunk-esque character, gritty and ruthless,is destroyed by the justice system of his society; the novel is implied to be in the same universe as Stephenson’s prior Snow Crash, but the world has moved on to better, smarter things. In the same sense, while cyberpunk is still a valid genre, tying oneself to the tropes therein really limits oneself to a past’s view of the future. What a narrow mindset to address the world from.

• JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    jetboard

hoverpack

I dunno, jetpacks always seemed more of a vision of atomic age science fiction.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    but what about jet boards

reposig.jpg
    Those are just silly and a result of 80s/90s "xtreme" fetishism by the media because skateboards and snowboards are totally radical.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    To be fair, snowboarding is pretty fucking rad.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    i still think skateboarding is cool

don't even care

I don't want to live in a future where my children and grandchildren don't get to participate in xtreme hoverboarding

PNk1Ml4.png
    Man have you seen my downhill boards
    skateboards are radical as fuck

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    Both Neuromancer and Snow Crash are on their way to become movies. Neuromancer has been in limbo for a long time, but it seems to be moving along again.

I am looking forward to Snow Crash way more.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I don't want flying cars. Hovercars, on the other hand...

b1ehrMM.gif
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I have had the weirdest urge to pick up skateboarding again

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Snowboarding is awesome.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i am skeptical about hollywood's capacity to bring snow crash to the big screen

reposig.jpg
  • crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular

don't even care
    http://i.imgur.com/5U7i3.gif

EzUAYcn.png
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Is optical camouflage a real thing yet?

Short answer: Kinda!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7FZr98MleU

Not quite Cyberpunk but the mohawked and goggled rebels need something to fight-against.

I really want to pop-in Ghost in the Shell again.

TrippyJing wrote: »
    I don't want flying cars. Hovercars, on the other hand...

The problem is that propping a car up on wheels is a much more elegant and energy efficient solution to the problem of keeping the bottom side of a car off the ground.

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    There ain't nothing I love more then standing on a piece of wood with either wheels or my feets strapped in then going down a moutain

ok that's a lie I might love chocolate more

icGJy2C.png
    img]

My boards are the most radical. The most.

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    AkfkK.png?1

ETqXK.png
    crwth wrote: »

don't even care
    http://i.imgur.com/5U7i3.gif

the entire video this is from is awesome

clark hassler rules

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPLxQDo4PYk

Y'know, if you want evidence that the future has come
    It's that there are multiple and evolving distinct forms of skateboarding of all goddamn things

Futore wrote: »
    AkfkK.png?1

Know what'll get a polar bear laid? When the ladies see Him ridin around on his sweet hoverboard. Bam! Two birds!

hoverbears

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    hoverbears

What has science done?!

b1ehrMM.gif
    hoverbears

What has science done?!

Hoverbears! He just told you!

hoverbears

What has science done?!

Hoverbears! He just told you!

seriously this shit ain't complicated

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    "At least six people were hurt and 20 arrests were made as rioters vandalised and looted shops, setting a car on fire and damaging street signs and lamp-posts, according to Reuters news agency.

Some revellers accused the police of over-reacting."

BahamutZERO.gif
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    This Cyberpunk enough for you?

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/13/137029208/heart-with-no-beat-offers-hope-of-new-lease-on-life

You have no pulse.

Probably in the next generation or so, we're likely to start hitting some early transhuman ethical concerns.

• WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    I am making this post from the future in the future we can time-travel the internet it's pretty cool here in the future