As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Presidential Election 2012: Let's Debate.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Kodos
    Isn't it more of a "dishonor" to get the guy's rank wrong? I doubt General Custer would cotton to be called a common "Colonel."

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Either way, he was a vain, arrogant moron who got a whole bunch of people killed.

• Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Before we all dogpile on this guy, i think maybe he was talking about people reading books and magazines for entertainment at work? Like 50 shades or something? That is something generally frowned upon in basically any work place
    Yes, because if anything, Republican Congressmen have proven to us that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Especially when it comes to women's issues or anti-intellectualism.

I'm not sure why "deserving the benefit of the doubt" is even a relevant argument here, given what he says. If he had just said "those guys were reading magazines!!!" would it have mattered as much?

yeah because many scientific publications are put out in magazine form and since he doesn't name the things being read in the office it comes across as, stated before, a hollow complaint meant to rile people up and justify cutting funding to one of the most scientifically productive branches of government

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Either way, he was a vain, arrogant moron who got a whole bunch of people killed.

he was also at the very bottom of his West Point graduating class so it's not like nobody recognized the fact that he was awful

• Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    well hey now it's not fair to just assume the guy is outright lying

I really, really don't think it's unfair

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

why is that

does David Rouzer have a history of outright lying?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Shorty wrote: »

why is that

does David Rouzer have a history of outright lying?

he's a politician

everything he says is suspect

• Options
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    he says that the decline of education in the US happened once the federal government started getting involved in it

I actually assumed that the DoED was older than it was, and assumed that it was involved in things it wasn't involved with. However, I did know that they don't do education curricula, except for No Child Left Behind, so that guy is still full of shit.

Also, that isn't Fox News. That is a Senator.

Rouzer says he would have voted against No Child Left Behind so that very well may be one of his main beefs with the Department of Education

wanting to dismantle the Department of Education in favor of greater state and local control over education may be a problematic position, but that is not an anti-intellectual position

what he said is "we're paying people six figures to read books all day??", which is very dumb in its own right but not the same thing as "I don't trust no fancy book learnin"

the Examiner article trying to conflate one with the other is sensationalism and bad journalism, much like Fox News, and Geebs' point is that people here seem less likely to call out that sensationalism if it's against a guy they don't like in the first place

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Kodos

what he said is "we're paying people six figures to read books all day??", which is very dumb in its own right but not the same thing as "I don't trust no fancy book learnin"

If we can agree that they were likely reading journals or studies, the likelihood is that it meant something more along the lines of "I don't understand what they're doing and I'm not going to find out", something that is just as dangerous in the hands of someone with power.

• Options

If we can agree that they were likely reading journals or studies, the likelihood is that it meant something more along the lines of "I don't understand what they're doing and I'm not going to find out", something that is just as dangerous in the hands of someone with power.

absolutely

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Before we all dogpile on this guy, i think maybe he was talking about people reading books and magazines for entertainment at work? Like 50 shades or something? That is something generally frowned upon in basically any work place
    Yes, because if anything, Republican Congressmen have proven to us that they deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Especially when it comes to women's issues or anti-intellectualism.

I'm not sure why "deserving the benefit of the doubt" is even a relevant argument here, given what he says. If he had just said "those guys were reading magazines!!!" would it have mattered as much?

Aren't most journals printed on glossy?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Kodos
    Rorus, could we update Mitt's nick to Money Boo Boo?

• Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Ross Perot
    We should have a talent portion of the presidential debates. Obama could sing, Biden can show everyone how to make pruno...

• Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    romney would try that thing where it looks like you're pulling off your finger but he'd be really bad at it

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ross Perot
    He would probably just have his maids and other household staff do some traditional Latin folk dancing or somethin.

And then have them all deported six hours before payday. Tadaaaaaaa!

Metzger Meister on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kang
    Romney would just stand there for 10 minutes and then go

'I just made more money than the average person makes in two weeks'

8-)

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Kang
    Biden shows how to properly shotgun a beer.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57517160/senate-gop-blocks-veterans-jobs-bill/

The GOP seems hell-bent on shitting on just about any socio-economic group these days. As a veteran, this will probably have interesting implications for how many of my veteran friends will vote. Almost all of them are staunch Romney supporters (or at least Obama haters), and I have to wonder if at least a few might reconsider that position between now and election day. In any case, blocking a $1 billion jobs bill under the auspices of budget control seems pretty dumb in an election year.

• Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Ross Perot
    Emporium wrote: »
    http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57517160/senate-gop-blocks-veterans-jobs-bill/

The GOP seems hell-bent on shitting on just about any socio-economic group these days. As a veteran, this will probably have interesting implications for how many of my veteran friends will vote. Almost all of them are staunch Romney supporters (or at least Obama haters), and I have to wonder if at least a few might reconsider that position between now and election day. In any case, blocking a $1 billion jobs bill under the auspices of budget control seems pretty dumb in an election year.
    Worrying about budget control during a recession is like wondering if you should give a starving man food for fear that he might not have any a few years down the road. It's irrelevant if he starves now.

Admittedly, you should cut taxes (which IS spending, granted), but we decided to lower taxes during the bubbly boom of the early 2000s. Our taxes are also goofy in general.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    So have they gone totally insane, or is the information age finally catching up with them?

Was this Al Gore's plan all along?

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    if you're going to spend money on something

giving people jobs is a pretty decent thing to spend it on

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    FavlaudFavlaud just straight up awful Registered User regular
    what, you think we just have jobs waiting, tal? the reason there's so many people out of work is because we've reached the logical extreme of every industry, we have a gross surplus of top-notch infrastructure and our standard of living is beyond the comprehension of anyone

create jobs, don't be absurd

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Ross Perot
    build two more hoover dams imo

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Kodos
    Fandyien wrote: »
    build another two hoover dams imo

Right on top of the old one.

Build 'em straight to the sky.

• Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Kodos
    dams on dams on dams

lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Kodos
    Don't blame me

I voted for Kodos

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ross Perot
    I'm hoping we don't have another white president for another five terms or so. Around the tenth year of a person of color in the White House, we can expect to see the racists just start dying of strokes or mass suicides will break out.

A win for us either way.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    I'll be honest

I am very surprised no one's actually shot at Obama by now

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Kodos
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'll be honest

Cannot echo this enough

Especially since I seem to see a lot less pro-Romney people and much more anti-Obama folks

• Options
    Ross Perot
    Hey, we have still have a possible second term!

Although, besides the obvious "attempt on a person's life" part, the shitty thing would be how the paranoid fringe of the right would spin it. Once they groused about Obama being killed, I got past the point of thinking there isn't anything they won't throw a tantrum over.

I'm thinking they'd say Obama intentionally had himself shot to get some political capital to make gay Muslim marriage legal.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    okay secret service if you're reading this please don't come to my house I'm not going to shoot anybody

but if somebody shot Obama I feel like he'd Roosevelt it

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    WhytherWhyther Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

Although, besides the obvious "attempt on a person's life" part, the shitty thing would be how the paranoid fringe of the right would spin it. Once they groused about Obama being killed, I got past the point of thinking there isn't anything they won't throw a tantrum over.

I'm thinking they'd say Obama intentionally had himself shot to get some political capital to make gay Muslim marriage legal.

The term is "false flag operation" and when literally anything bad happens all the crazies talk about Obama orchestrating it to take away our guns.

• Options
    Ross Perot
    false flag false flag

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Scooter wrote: »
    I'll be honest

Quite a few have tried. They didn't come close, thankfully.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Ross Perot
    Whyther wrote: »

The term is "false flag operation" and when literally anything bad happens all the crazies talk about Obama orchestrating it to take away our guns.
    My roommate watches Youtube videos about BARRY SOETORO, THE WORLD'S MOST EVIL NI MAN.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    what if Obama personally went to their houses and delivered them M16s

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I went to a Seven Eleven today for an icee but the machine said that the cherry flavor part was broken. I believe that the owner of the store has purposefully broken the machine in a FALSE FLAG OPERATION in order to say that no-one is buying cherry icees and then get the flavor replaced with something stupid like Coke.

• Options
    Ross Perot
    Whyther wrote: »

or when anything good (to them) happens, like obama not pursuing any gun legislation at all

it's like you can't please 'em ever!

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    My cat caught and killed a small lizard today. As long as you don't listen to what the mainstream media propaganda says, it's obvious that this is a FALSE FLAG OPERATION by the lizard conglomerate to garner sympathy and get me to be mad with my cat.

This discussion has been closed.