As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good Food, Good Friends and.... actually, no, just [Food Thread]

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Good pho is a hell of a dish, no doubt. But if I hit a pho place that I know is using a nice crusty bread and good meats then I'm just as likely to opt for banh mi.

My wife just invited some friends over to watch the Emmy Awards on Sunday. She's going to make some Indian food, and I'm going to smoke a couple of chickens and make some hazelnut financiers and macaroons I think. Need to double check on the hazelnut ingredients, may need to audible to a sorbet or fruit pudding. If I have enough time tomorrow I'll also temper some chocolate and make some molded chocolates with a fresh mint ganache filling.

Has anybody ever done anything with calamansi limes? I know the juice is delicious, to the point that my wife bought two calamansi lime trees. They're looking good and flowering a bit, so I ned to think about what I can do with them other than amazing drinks.

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    those aren't buns
    those are little asian tacos

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Don't argue with what David Chang calls them.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Good pho is a hell of a dish, no doubt. But if I hit a pho place that I know is using a nice crusty bread and good meats then I'm just as likely to opt for banh mi.

My wife just invited some friends over to watch the Emmy Awards on Sunday. She's going to make some Indian food, and I'm going to smoke a couple of chickens and make some hazelnut financiers and macaroons I think. Need to double check on the hazelnut ingredients, may need to audible to a sorbet or fruit pudding. If I have enough time tomorrow I'll also temper some chocolate and make some molded chocolates with a fresh mint ganache filling.

Has anybody ever done anything with calamansi limes? I know the juice is delicious, to the point that my wife bought two calamansi lime trees. They're looking good and flowering a bit, so I ned to think about what I can do with them other than amazing drinks.

They're used as a souring agent in Filipino food, so make some pancit?

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Hey

Hey Blake

Guess who's going to Hong Kong next weekend

:smugface:
    Actually this smugface is a general smugface to everyone who isn't going to Hong Kong next weekend

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Is it Bart Sandra?

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    No.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I bought two kilo of pork ribs today. Lets see what happens.

• Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Druhim wrote: »
    Krieghund wrote: »
    Pho is pretty awesome. However the last time I went to get some with my sisters family, my nephew ordered some kind of chicken platter. He was 10, so I cut him some slack and only stole half his food. (he was already done, btw) However, I wouldn't know what to order at a Pho place, if I couldn't get Pho.

Well, it's not like everything else on the menu is made of exotic ingredients you've never heard of before. Lemongrass chicken, pork, or beef on rice or rice noodles? Shrimp skewers? Spring rolls with pork and shrimp? It's pretty straightforward stuff.

Oh, I'm sure it is. But the place I normally go to has it's menu 100% in Vietnamese. And while I recognise and can point at the picture of Pho, I haven't got the slightest idea what else they sell, lol. It's not that big a deal, and I know I could ask the server, but really, I go for Pho. Buuuut, a friend of mine wants to take me to get some Indian food, and I've never had that so I'm looking forward to that.

• Options
    Mmmm now I want saag paneer.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    chidonachidona Registered User regular
    Going to make falafel today! Following this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2589/spicy-falafels?pager.offset=20
    Got some sweet lettuce and houmous at the ready for wraps.

• Options
    update: pork has now been cooking for three hours.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I roasted a chicken yesterday, mostly as per the instructions from earlier in the thread except I had it inside a dutch oven. It was looking a bit pale when it finished cooking, so I gave it a bit of a brown under the broiler. The chicken itself is damn tasty, but the potatoes, carrots and onions that were in there with it are to die for.

• Options
    whoops, nearly six hours. I should probably get that out now-ish.

• Options
    uummmmmm holy shit that is soo fucking good

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    uummmmmm holy shit that is soo fucking good

8->

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    For those with access to BBC 4, Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course is actually pretty damn good for teaching the basics.

It is not on BBC America. But is available for acquisition through other means. I highly suggest it.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ohman.

I just made great lunch!

Steamed leftover chicken breast (from my roast earlier this week), sauteed veg with thai spices, and some bean vermicelli. I thought it was rice, but it was actually green bean based! Topped with a normal soy based sauce.

nom nom nom.

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    For those with access to BBC 4, Gordon Ramsay's Ultimate Cookery Course is actually pretty damn good for teaching the basics.

It is not on BBC America. But is available for acquisition through other means. I highly suggest it.

I'm catching a flight as we speak.
    (if only)

nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Got myself a cast iron skillet and Dutch oven

Excited

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    For Washingtonians, I am having a difficult time finding a decent restaurant between Olympia and Seattle.

I commute between these two locations and would like to stop for dinner sometime, rather than sit on I-5 in traffic.

• Options
    KFC, man

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Arbys, get yourself a roast beef sandwich.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Don't listen to those guys.

What you want to do is get Arbys AND KFC, put the KFC inside the Arbys bun and go to town.

• Options
    Don't forget to drown everything in Horsey sauce and get a 64 oz soda to wash it down.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    082509-dbldkunwchsnd.jpg

• Options
    Blargh. After getting food poisoning last month, I would like to avoid all fast food.

I'm looking for local gems, not corporate chains.

Speaking of that, have you tried Tat's Delicatessen in Pioneer Square? I'm not really a fan. For some reason, I prefer Royal Grinders in Fremont.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote: »
    082509-dbldkunwchsnd.jpg

I have a friend, who is a rather small girl, that absolutely loves the Double Down. She just raves about them.

• Options
    As a person who loves hot dogs, how have I not heard of this place!?

...and they're open until 11 PM on Sundays!? Truly awesome.

• Options
    ok so as mentioned yesterday, I bought and slow-cooked 2kg of pork ribs last night. They were intended to be taken to my friend's house as an ingredient in 'fake tamales' (don't ask). But apparently she and her whole family came down sick with something, so now I have a ridiculous* quantity of delicious pork sitting around. Over the next few days, I'm going to be documenting my attempts to eat it**.

Meal #1: just the pork, ma'am
    served plain, fresh out of the oven with red chimichurri and a fennel and parsley salad

jWT3A.jpg

*well, ridiculous for one person.

** yeah i'm definitely gonna end up giving some away.

• Options
    also, calling @Stale - should I shred it all now, or will it stay soft if I leave it on the bone? I'm worried if I take it apart now it will dry out too much overnight, but I'm not sure what will happen if I leave it.

• Options
    I always shred it immediately and then keep it airtight.

then again it never sticks around much longer than 24 hours.

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    yeah good idea. I'll see if I can find something airtight big enough to fit. I'm going to make wraps with a bunch of it asap, and I have some ideas for the rest which hopefully should work even if it dries out a bit.

• Options
    watching pig skin render is ridiculously addictive and soothing

someone should make it a screensaver or something

bxC7t.jpg

• Options
    BorommakotBorommakot Registered User regular
    Somehow I made my chicken and dumplings sweet. Incredibly so.

This is puzzling and annoying since sweet is not a flavor I want with my chicken and dumplings.

• Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    watching pig skin render is ridiculously addictive and soothing

someone should make it a screensaver or something

bxC7t.jpg

Oh my god.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    it's like the ur-Bacon

• Options
    Tynic, I hope this is not too forward

but I want to make wild passionate love to you

and your chicharones

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    Stale wrote: »
    Tynic, I hope this is not too forward

but I want to make wild passionate love to you

and your chicharones

Acceptable.

• Options
    Slacker71Slacker71 subgenius RentonRegistered User regular
    I spent three weeks commuting from Renton to Olympia. I usually ended up at Koko's Teriyaki in Dupont http://www.kokoteriyaki.com/

This discussion has been closed.