As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands 2: Mechromancer dropping today (Oct. 9)

• Options
    BartinyouBartinyou Registered User regular
    My copy for the 360 arrives tomorrow. Does Axton get a augmented reality visor/helmet a la Ghost Recon or a ghillie suit.

Tell me there is a beret somewhere.

I have yet to see a beret, but with the right selection of head and skin, you can look like russian black ops. . . or a rainbow punk.

• Options
    The_TuninatorThe_Tuninator Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've seen some Axtons who look very modern military.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

So

You would say they're the very in-game model of a modern major-general

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I'm just saying that's ridiculous hyperbole. If your skill isn't doing jack in a boss fight, you still have 4 of 87bazillion guns to contribute.

Really the skills in borderlands matter, but not to the extent that I think some people think they do.

Also I'm level 25 right now, and >700,000 health on a level 30 badass just sounds ridiculous. Am I crazy?

Foolish Chaos on
  • Options
    I'm just saying that's ridiculous hyperbole. If your skill isn't doing jack in a boss fight, you still have 4 of 87bazillion guns to contribute.

Really the skills in borderlands matter, but not to the extent that I think some people think they do.

Also I'm level 25 right now, and >700,000 health on a level 30 badass just sounds ridiculous. Am I crazy?

Yes, I can still shoot bosses in a fight.

Why, though, should I be denied the skills I have invested hard-earned points into? There's no reason for it, and my shooting will be much less effective than people who are shooting and getting benefit from their skills.

Also, all I'm telling you is that I Phaselock bosses and the HP bar isn't moving appreciably at all. Take that as you will. For an action skill, I expect more satisfaction than a minor tick of an HP bar.

All I ask is that the abilities I've skilled actually work. I don't think that is unreasonable.

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular

So

Borderlands 3 is gonna have a commando with a british accent and sing A British Tar after a killstreak. Calling it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-Ky0v_0w0E

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    I'm all kinds of OK with this.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular

So

Boo this man!

• Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    My Maya->
    Using the Suave head and the Vladof Sickle uniform:
    Callisto_zps21e5856d.png

If you don't feel that Sub-Sequence is a sufficiently good skill, you don't have a sufficiently powerful shotgun.
    People complain about stalkers? I Phaselock one, and then the combined effect of Converge and Sub-Sequence means that by the time I've unloaded my high-capacity fire-shotty those stalkers are a non-problem.

Fiendishrabbit on
    "The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Helios seem weak to anyone? I have 5/5 now and am thinking of switching to Foresight. OTOH, more fire = better, so.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    They do work though. In fact they built in work around via Mayas slag skills so that you can still use phaselock in a boss fight and not simply deal damage. It sucks when you get a ton of badass spawns but it sucks for any character honestly.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    They do work though. In fact they built in work around via Mayas slag skills so that you can still use phaselock in a boss fight and not simply deal damage. It sucks when you get a ton of badass spawns but it sucks for any character honestly.

Wreck, Elated, Sweet Release, Convergence and Suspension objectively do not work when there is nothing to Phaselock but Phaselock-immune enemies. They do absolutely nothing.

I'm fine with Sweet Release not working as no kill skill is particularly efficacious against bosses, and Convergence is situational anyways, but Wreck and Elated really should proc. There's absolutely no reason for them not to.
    My Maya->
    Using the Suave head and the Vladof Sickle uniform:
    Callisto_zps21e5856d.png

If you don't feel that Sub-Sequence is a sufficiently good skill, you don't have a sufficiently powerful shotgun.
    People complain about stalkers? I Phaselock one, and then the combined effect of Converge and Sub-Sequence means that by the time I've unloaded my high-capacity fire-shotty those stalkers are a non-problem.

Stalkers have displaced cazadores as my most hated video game enemy, I think. Nasty things.

The_Tuninator on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Yeah I hate stalkers too. Not so much because they are heavy hitters that can kill me, thankfully they are not, no I hate them because each fight drags out far longer than it should.

So I just Shock AoE the area with grenades now. :P

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    As a Zer0 that specs heavily into critting stuff, stalkers and their very tiny fast moving heads can be kinda annoying, yeah.

Thats when I bring out the singularity grenades/1 shot them with my bazooka

• Options
    Yeah, phaselocking a stalker and pounding the hell out of it has grown even more satisfying than phaselocking rakks. The damn things are just so evasive.

• Options
    SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    My friend's double barreled sniper rifle with a god damned sword attached to it.

157EF1FD0ACDD813E7AE2440793875FF5AFABE83

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Jesus Christ it's been like fifteen levels already, Borderlands. You can give me a melee upgrade, already. Or just a better gun with the same +100% melee damage! My 219 damage revolver isn't really cutting it anymore.

Do melee upgrades even go above +100%?

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    FiendishrabbitFiendishrabbit Registered User regular
    So far the three fastest ways of "destalkifying" an area that I've found are:

1. Maya with the Motion tree (Converge or, even better, converge+sub-sequence) and a powerful shotgun.
    2. A very powerful shock singularity grenade.
    3. Zer0 with Many Must Fall.

"The western world sips from a poisonous cocktail: Polarisation, populism, protectionism and post-truth"
    -Antje Jackelén, Archbishop of the Church of Sweden
  • Options
    SoulGate wrote: »
    My friend's double barreled sniper rifle with a god damned sword attached to it.

This seems...counter-intuitive. But awesome.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    SoulGate wrote: »

I think I'm in love.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Speaking of game-breaking things, just found my first "x2" SMG.
    Welp, there goes the neighborhood!

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    In a less whiny note, I absolutely adore everything about Maliwan guns this time around. They look like somebody crossed regular SMGs with Eridian weapons from the first game. I love the sci-fi aesthetic on them, and the scops on every Maliwan I've found look neat without distracting me, too (unlike, say, the green-tinged TV scopes in BL1).

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular

Yes, I can still shoot bosses in a fight.

Why, though, should I be denied the skills I have invested hard-earned points into? There's no reason for it, and my shooting will be much less effective than people who are shooting and getting benefit from their skills.

Also, all I'm telling you is that I Phaselock bosses and the HP bar isn't moving appreciably at all. Take that as you will. For an action skill, I expect more satisfaction than a minor tick of an HP bar.

All I ask is that the abilities I've skilled actually work. I don't think that is unreasonable.

The skills should definitely be contributing powerhouse sort of things. Axton's turret is a wrecking machine, with a selection of abilities that either activate when the turret is out or when damage is dealt to an enemy; his ability is awesome regardless of what you're fighting, but without even deploying it you can have something like a +60-70% damage boost and health regen. Then if you do end up deploying it, your DPS goes way up and you can get another 30-40% damage boost.

Definitely seems to me like Phaselock has the problems of both the Bloodwing and Turret abilities from BL1. On a big boss, it apparently does basically no damage (like the turret), plus you can't activate your skill-related bonuses because your skill isn't doing anything (like with Bloodwing). At the very least, Phaselock should be dealing a fairly hefty amount of damage on-hit for boss characters and activating the Phaselock-related bonuses, if it doesn't pick up or lock down the boss or anything.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Anyone who is past the ah... spoilers... if anyone can obtain a low level corrosive weapon and trade it to me in game I would love them forever. My Maya is level 13 and needs some acid damage for the part coming up. You know the part. Yeah, that one.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    i found a neat tediore eridian tech corrosive SMG

that i can't use because it has a 62-round mag, and i'm a compulsive reloader

i was inadvertently blowing through half my ammo stock every few minutes while i was using it

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I haven't found a Tediore that I like yet because, even if there are tons of other enemies around, I instinctively reload after killing a thing. Maybe if I find one of the homing ones I'll spend more time with them.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    It is for that reason that I try to avoid Tediore, but for the part coming up I will take what I can get.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    jclast wrote: »
    I haven't found a Tediore that I like yet because, even if there are tons of other enemies around, I instinctively reload after killing a thing. Maybe if I find one of the homing ones I'll spend more time with them.
    i was rolling with a tediore shotgun for a while and i was really pleased with it

it only had a mag size of three, so i didn't even notice the ammo loss when reloading prematurely

when you're losing fifty shots at a time though...

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The quest to kill the giant skag later on gave me an extremely effective sniper rifle. Hello 2200 base damage, hello unknown redtext bonuses, hello 16k+ crits. I don't even have ascenci0n yet, but when I do.... dear god.

Also, fuck goliath's and their impossible to crit and then very hard to crit asses. A sniper that only works by one shotting people isn't effective when you can't actually crit.

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

Go to the fridge.
    There's a path called rats nest at the end you'll find a dude who drops a teidore you may like.
    And there's a few goliaths you can make super badass for good loot.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tediores explode for damage of their element. So I don't even bother firing my gun at shielded enemies. One bullet and toss the gun at them. Generally wipes their shield out, and from there I switch to fire or corrosive and seal the deal.

Though one missed opportunity was a shield that turned your HP to armor. Corrosive damage, to a player, isn't as scary as fire or electric.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Speaking as an Axton

Hearing about how Maya's skill works, or doesn't work, on certain enemy types makes me glad to have my turret of kill everything

I mean I have literally no stake in this, so it's not like I want my character to be super duper awesome or anything by buffing phaselock

It should probably just sit out for its normal duration and do DoT damage, even if it can't "lock" the enemy, that way at least all the "while phaselock is active blah blah blah" skills wouldn't be meaningless against certain enemies

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    I have to say I love Hyperion Shotguns. I'm always sad when they become obsolete and I have to switch up.

Hope I find another one soon.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Oh my god

My daughter's name is Eliana

We call her Ellie most of the time

And her nickname is Ellie Belly

She's not fat like the Ellie in this, but

It hits a little close to home

• Options
    i'm extremely happy with phaselock so far

maybe the shine will wear off later; i'm only level 19 at the moment

but for the time being it seems like an extremely satisfying mix of damage (cataclysm) and crowd control

• Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Once you reach full cataclysm tree phaselock really shines. Groups of enemies just die, and the slag makes it really useful in either solo or group.

Now in new game plus I'm trying to get to converge on the motion tree so more people can die.

Helps that I have a mod that gives +2 to helios, +3 to reaper and +3 to blight phoenix. Soo good.

Then I have a skill cooldown relic that makes getting constant phaselock really easy...

Gotta say, gunzerking is fun but I really need to learn not to die so much. :P

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    one thing i found funny was that as we started running into crystal guys, i was finding my damage output completely insufficient

i mostly rely on DoTs

after a while, i'm just hanging back and reviving and locking, and my friend says "or you could melee them"

and i was skeptical

but sure enough

phaselock, punch, punch punch

i became a crystal-monster-slaying-machine

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    So has anyone found out what Laser Sight does for Axton's turret? I put a point into it and it seems to lock onto guys faster, but I honestly can't tell. It was already killing guys so well before but if it helps make my turret into even more of a murdering machine, then I'm all for it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    You liked my idea for the thread title!

<3

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    JMan711 wrote: »
    JMan711 wrote: »
    So has anyone found out what Laser Sight does for Axton's turret? I put a point into it and it seems to lock onto guys faster, but I honestly can't tell. It was already killing guys so well before but if it helps make my turret into even more of a murdering machine, then I'm all for it.

Just does what the label says, which is +10% accuracy. Dunno if it matters, but I guess I could try respeccing and see if not having it matter at all.