As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Earth Defense Force 2025: Out Now!

• UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    I enjoyed IA, but the scale definitely felt more limited. Fewer enemies to fight at once, bit less weapon variety, smaller environments with less variety there as well. I liked the armor classes (Jet all the way - it's not terribly useful to be up in the air but it is fun) but I missed the (useless) vehicles.

Long story short I find myself still going back to 2017 more than IA.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    Honestly I thought IA was better than the original. >,>

Original had the same weapons, sound effects, and zero progression or classes or story or humor....well, anything other than shooting at giant bugs. IA has that plus the other stuff.

3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Masume wrote: »

Original had the same weapons, sound effects, and zero progression or classes or story or humor....well, anything other than shooting at giant bugs. IA has that plus the other stuff.

Yea... idk. I hate to say it but to me part of me really just feels like people* are more amenable to massively grindy and repetitive games with absurd/campy/cheesy plots when they're done by Japanese developers as opposed to American developers, even if the developers are following the directives of a Japanese company.

There was progression in EDF 2017, as it was mathematically impossible to clear the later stages without grinding enough armor to take at least two hits, or survive barely dodging a spider web blast.

Now they unquestionably should have included more environments, even though 2017 took place in more or less the same city, beach/hills and cave system, but the rest of the stuff in the game feels exactly like 2017 only shifted laterally in most cases. To survive some maps on inferno I found that it was better to use turrets, other cases moar rockets and grenades... the only thing that there really isn't a gameplay change to kind of match up in 2017 from IA is the jet dude.

I do like 2017's music more too, but that's just because it's campier. :P

edit: btw, I'm not just including this conversation in that assessment.

edit2: in 2017 you could kind of forego a lot of the grinding if you were lucky with your drops (but you'd still need to get more HP. IA's tiers for weapon use kind of force that same grind, since you also simply can't beat levels in any realistic time without being able to churn out a certain amount of DPS.)

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Only the achievements in IA were a grind. Progression was much more improved. It didn't take too much grind to become viable in higher difficulties. Hell, my buddy and I beat the game on Inferno with Tactical and Trooper at level 7. It was hard as fuck to do but really satisfying when it all came together.

Shady3011 on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Masume wrote: »

I wouldn't go as far as better universally, but there was a lot of good about IA that 2017 didn't match.

Ignoring the new classes and the twice as many guns (And before you complain about "less variety", remember the early level flamethrowers and all grenades in 2017. Lot of useless or dull guns in that game along with the fun ones.), there's a lot less irritation in IA. The spiders don't freeze you in place, piloting a tank or a mech is fun now instead of a chore, and the health pickup system is one of the most elegant I've seen in a co-op shooter.

Plus, it's hard to do intentionally campy well. The game managed, which is a feat.

edited September 2012
    Wasp is still a shitty new enemy and needs to go away. I wish there were more Hector and other robot alien battles in the game. They felt really underused in favor of mech ants and spiders late game. Then again, having a weak point was hella lame though I was never sure if that was truly the case. Most of the improvements seem natural, so I feel giving them a ton of credit is overstating a game developed in 2011 that was a "sequel" to a 5 year old game.

Shady3011 on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Shady3011 wrote: »
    Wasp is still a shitty new enemy and needs to go away. I wish there were more Hector and other robot alien battles in the game. They felt really underused in favor of mech ants and spiders late game. Then again, having a weak point was hella lame though I was never sure if that was truly the case.

Hectors technically have a weak spot, but for the Mark 1s, any decent explosive weapon has enough splash to damage them no matter where it hits.

chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Wasp is still a shitty new enemy and needs to go away. I wish there were more Hector and other robot alien battles in the game. They felt really underused in favor of mech ants and spiders late game. Then again, having a weak point was hella lame though I was never sure if that was truly the case.

Hectors technically have a weak spot, but for the Mark 1s, any decent explosive weapon has enough splash to damage them no matter where it hits.

Mark 1s weren't bad since being far away was always the best approach as the AOE was instant death on Inferno. With Hectors, it felt that you always had to shoot the chest to deal damage. Maybe that wasn't the case in 2017? It was easier as they had stiff-ass animation, so red parts were easy to hit.

edited September 2012

Mark 1s weren't bad since being far away was always the best approach as the AOE was instant death on Inferno. With Hectors, it felt that you always had to shoot the chest to deal damage. Maybe that wasn't the case in 2017? It was easier as they had stiff-ass animation, so red parts were easy to hit.

Wait. We talking Hectors in IA or 2017?

Because the Mark II in IA has only one small weakspot, and the Mark I has a larger one. Don't think the 2017 version has the weakspot thing.

chiasaur11 on
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    The only thing IA lacked over 2017 was the hold the line mission near the end of the original. Where you are basically told all is doomed and you and a squad of rocket troopers face down a wave of ants and spiders. Survive 3 waves and all of a sudden troops come in from outside the arena with laser rifles and start blasting the horde to pieces. Hardest damn mission in the game but After the first wave there were no other troops alive and you are just staring down infinite bugs with your weapons of choice.

Wait. We talking Hectors in IA or 2017?

Because the Mark II in IA has only one small weakspot, and the Mark I has a larger one. Don't think the 2017 version has the weakspot thing.

Yeah. I was talking about IA. I got the Mark I and II mixed up.
    The only thing IA lacked over 2017 was the hold the line mission near the end of the original. Where you are basically told all is doomed and you and a squad of rocket troopers face down a wave of ants and spiders. Survive 3 waves and all of a sudden troops come in from outside the arena with laser rifles and start blasting the horde to pieces. Hardest damn mission in the game but After the first wave there were no other troops alive and you are just staring down infinite bugs with your weapons of choice.

That's what disappointed me about IA. It could have had crazy, huge scale battles but never did. It opted for local, fast ones. Like I said before, the last mission was a real waste of that mothership.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I really missed that one mission in 2017 where you have to take down a single enormous godzilla monster with laser beams when playing IA.

• ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    What?! No WiiU release?

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    pigeonking wrote: »
    @miscellaneousinsanity

happy birthday

GREATEST BIRTHDAY PRESENT I COULD EVER DREAM OF

uc3ufTB.png
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    IA is to 2017 what Broderick Godzilla is to original Godzilla. Its basically the poorer american remake. Its even true in the enemy design where the Hectors went from 60's B-movie robots to any robot from an American movie of the last 10 years (Read Bay Transformers, whatever the hell they were in skyline, battleship e.t.c)

• XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    So, since 2017 was a remake of the original EDF, we're finally getting a remake of Global Defence Force/EDF2?
    About damned time.
    Most of you had no idea what you were missing. EDF2 had city-sized enemies going on, and underground levels, and robot centipedes, and war of the worlds walkers the size of skyscrapers.

If people really wanted to, they could import the enhanced PSP port of EDF2. It even has 4 player co-op via ad-hoc.

I've been playing through the PSP port of EDF2, and I have to say it is exactly what I wanted from a sequel and then some.

• AgentGeejAgentGeej Bullet Sponge U.K MidlandsRegistered User regular
    No PC?

Damn it, IA is a staple of my family units co-op fun time.

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    EDF! EDF! EDF!

Gorram love shooting bugs man.

IA was pretty cool, but I want 2-4 player online in the vein of 2017.

B-movie stylee.

fragglefart.jpg
    Why does EDF2 get ridiculously hard at certain points? I mean, it's like you're enjoying the game and everything is fine and then BAM! All of a sudden this one level feels impossible. Then, you get past it and everything is hunky-dory until you hit another proverbial wall. They really stick out when you're playing the game on normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXhm8_jgllU

It doesn't show much off, but it is looking good.

• gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    An actual jetpack this time. Should be cool

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Seems these guys haven't learned you don't center a guy in a third person shooter now a days. Or since 2005 at least.

steam_sig.png
    gunwarrior wrote: »

Am I missing something?

We kinda had one in Insect Armageddon. And before that we had one in GDF.

Also, that Ant chewtoy attack, unless it only hits NPCs, is going to be a pain in the ass. Stunlocks were the worst part of 2017.

• gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular

Am I missing something?

Also, that Ant chewtoy attack, unless it only hits NPCs, is going to be a pain in the ass. Stunlocks were the worst part of 2017.
    Its just that the IA jet had a really low max height and I've never played any of the other ones aside from EDF2017.

edited September 2012
    Seems these guys haven't learned you don't center a guy in a third person shooter now a days. Or since 2005 at least.

I don't think an over the shoulder camera would be a good idea with this series. You need to be able to see as much as possible as the enemies move pretty erratically. Hitting them isn't a problem anyway since they are huge targets.

Shady3011 on
    edited September 2012

Am I missing something?

Its just that the IA jet had a really low max height and I've never played any of the other ones aside from EDF2017.

True, but I can't really think of a scenario in IA where being able to fly a jillion feet into the air would have been practical. Half the time you land on a building and somebody blows it up anyway. Where half means every time. Remaining airborne really didn't have any major advantages either, unless you wanted to try and cheese the AI's range out, which is hardly any fun at all.

Stunlocks I'm ambivalent about...

tastydonuts on
  • XagarathXagarath Registered User regular

Am I missing something?

True, but I can't really think of a scenario in IA where being able to fly a jillion feet into the air would have been practical. Half the time you land on a building and somebody blows it up anyway. Where half means every time. Remaining airborne really didn't have any major advantages either, unless you wanted to try and cheese the AI's range out, which is hardly any fun at all.

In GDF, it didn't cheese anything out, but it did let you land on top of flying saucers.

Looks like we're getting EDF 2017 Portable next year.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/27/earth-defense-force-2017-portable-flying-to-north-america/

Let's celebrate with a live action commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aX_WfWD_5Eg

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Oh man that video fucking rules!

I wish I knew what was being said...

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
    Why didn't any of you jerks let me know that EDF 2017 Portable comes out tomorrow?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/01/06/the-drop-new-releases-for-the-week-of-january-8th-2013/

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    I was really excited about this at first but at $40? I think I'll just wait for a sale.

That's steep for a digital only release. You'd think D3 would realize this game thrives on its budget price.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I'm all for the digital only releases if it means things actually come out in the US, but this for $40 and DJMax for $45? The Vita market needs a wee bit of adjustment.

I'll be all over this at $20.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
    That's steep for a digital only release. You'd think D3 would realize this game thrives on its budget price.

IDK... If I had a Vita then I would buy it, bringing the number of games that I'd theoretically buy on a Vita to two.I didn't buy the other games for their price; I bought it for the content... but this is probably another one of those areas where I'm out of the norm for hardcore gamers.

• RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    SightTDW wrote: »
    I'm all for the digital only releases if it means things actually come out in the US, but this for $40 and DJMax for $45? The Vita market needs a wee bit of adjustment.

DJ Max's price actually makes a lot of sense. It's an extremely niche game (music game full of Korean music) so it's best to price it high since there aren't going to be many people on the fence about it. And they can always drop the price in 6 months after all they've sold it to all the hardcore fans. BTW, if you're interested in it, it's fantastic and well worth the price.

EDF on the other hand has plenty of mainstream appeal potential - it's a shooter about shooting big guns at big aliens - AND it's (mostly) a rerelease of an older game that sold at a budget price AND it's a digital only release. Pricing it at $40 makes no sense.

• SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    The only thing that's actually kept me from downloading DJ Max is the file size since I have the dinkiest of memory sticks. Loved the original PC game and imported the first PSP one. This one looks like insanity, but very fun. I'd be more okay with it if it didn't go over the standard Vita game price.

If anyone does grab EDF tomorrow I'd like to hear what it has in store trophy wise. There's lots of room for fun side challenges that the 360 version didn't exactly utilize.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr

IDK... If I had a Vita then I would buy it, bringing the number of games that I'd theoretically buy on a Vita to two.I didn't buy the other games for their price; I bought it for the content... but this is probably another one of those areas where I'm out of the norm for hardcore gamers.

That sounds like what a hardcore gamer would do. I look of it as a cost-value thing. As much as I like EDF, $40 is a hard sell for this game. You could say that about a lot of games, honestly. What doesn't help here is that it's a digital only release. I mean, look at Tokyo Jungle. That was the right way to do a digital only release.