As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Moving!

tynictynic PICNIC BADASSRegistered User, ClubPA regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
So, this time next month I'm going to be living in another country. I have about three and a half weeks to get my shit organised and get the hell out of here. Normally I just sell or throw out everything and skedaddle but this time I've got to do it properly - I have quotes from three shipping and storage companies, and a to-do list as long as my arm, which is freaking me the hell out! A small sample:

- getting a new renter for my apartment rooms
0pAxj.jpg

- deregistering at the citizen's bureau
- fighting tooth and nail to get my internet and phone companies to let me off their grasping tentacles
- desoldering and salvaging anything useful out of the towering pile of electronics junk I call my office
YKWH4.jpgfC7rO.jpg

- passing off ongoing projects to suitable people
- finishing old, overdue investigations that will never see the light of day if I don't do something about them now
- selling unwanted furniture and household items
- organising farewell drinks
- learning an entirely new research field in less than a month
- and, of course, packing.

Talk me through this, SE. Tell me about your moving experiences.

tynic on

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    The easiest way to move is via arson.

Burn your old place down and start somewhere fresh and new and ready for burning.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I want to move, but currently have no where to move to.

The latter is proving difficult.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    hell, luftig, praktisch

who do german words sound like dark majykks

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    i know it just means light, airy, practical but man if it doesnt sound like a thing one would chant in black robes

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    I know this feeling.

If I never return to Canada it is only because it is too much fucking effort.

edited September 2012
    Oh and in case anyone is going to be looking for apartments soon:

zU8tS.jpg

padmapper is pretty awesome

https://www.padmapper.com/

Brolo on
  • SwissLionSwissLion We are beside ourselves! Registered User regular
    Moving sucks.

At some point in my life I had seen more moves than Birthdays.

Glad that time in my life is over, kinda.

Looking to move out some time next year though I guess?

ImWcN1I.png?3
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I have moved around a lot.

The longest I have lived in any one place is five years.

Also my parents are moving to Russia in the next six months and I will also be moving (somewhere, who knows, maybe the moon).

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    Everyone move to Toronto.

It's stupid expensive and you don't get a lot for the money and honestly the weather from November to April can be pretty horrid but you know

I'll give you a hug if you c'mere.

• tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I nearly had a job near toronto, which was tempting location wise. It's a cool city.

oh yeah. I also need to find somewhere to live where I'm going. I should write that down.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I have moved a total of 37 times in my life. Covered 5 states, numerous cities, and countless apartments and roommates.

raijin I would not wish that upon my worst enemy

• KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    what I want to know is
    how the fuck are humans supposed to operate and survive when everyone wants you to move out on the 31st but you can't move in til the 1st

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    raijin I would not wish that upon my worst enemy

It sucked. I'm glad I'm mostly done moving at this point. While we aren't in our final house or anything, I don't foresee us ever leaving Brainerd/Baxter, Minnesota.

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Move halfway across the country at the end of November, will move halfway in a different direction again in the middle of January... hopefully that one will keep us in the same spot for a year or two.
    Moving starts to suck when you actually have things that need to move with you, when you need to rent a truck or hire actual movers, can't just load up a few bags and boxes and put them in the back of the car anymore.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Burn your old place down and start somewhere fresh and new and ready for burning.

Make sure you have insurance first

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Butters wrote: »

Make sure you have insurance first
    Yeah, doing that in reverse order is not going to work out in your favor.

"Hi...Prudential. Well, my house burned down "accidentally" and I was hoping I could insure the stuff I lost for $11 billion dollars."

"An Ektorp Ikea sofa, two - no, wait - three Mona Lisa's, and a Samsung D530 DVD player."

• jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Man, I haven't moved but once. The first year of college I Ieft home and ventured to Michigan's upper peninsula. It was cold and snowy and it was way cheaper and more practical for me to live with my parents and commute to a more local college.

Still living with my parents currently, but now I'm commuting to work which is a 45 minute drive north of home and then driving to school from work two days a week which is like 20 minutes south of home. So really, even if I moved out I wouldn't be saving anything on commuting. Oh well, I guess it will have to wait until after I graduate.

jgeis on
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    I just moved! It wasn't very far though and I didn't take any furniture except for my bed so it wasn't so bad.

Really wish I had gone whole hog and ripped out all the ugly installed stuff before I moved in but I can work with what I got

2x39jD4.jpg
    More than 75 per cent of 20- to 29-year-olds in GTA municipalities such as Richmond Hill, King City, Pickering, Vaughan and Caledon are still living with their parents, according to newly released census data.

That’s considerably more than the 56.3 per cent of 20-somethings who are still living at home in Toronto — and the 42.3 per cent across Canada — the 2011 census shows.

But the 905 nesting phenomenon appears to be far more cultural and financial than that old cliché of boomerang kids failing to launch.

Arian Saffarian, 26, and his 31-year-old brother are both still living at the Oakville home where they grew up after their parents emigrated here from Iran in 1996. Saffarian is in his final year at York University then has student loans to pay off. His brother is getting his feet on the ground in the working world.

[. . .]

Sales representative Diane Natalizio sees such old-world traditions and family dynamics playing out in the showroom of Expo City, one of the first major condo developments planned for the City of Vaughan.

“We see people in here who are 28 and nervous about being on their own for the first time. That’s the European background — you live at home until you get married,” says Natalizio, who did just that until she was 25.

[. . .]

University of British Columbia professor Mary Ann Murphy is more concerned about what she calls “delayed adulthood.” The 2011 census revealed just 30.8 per cent of young adults are likely to be part of a couple, compared to 51.8 per cent in 1981.

“We’ve got failure to launch, we’re delaying marriage, we’re delaying parenthood,” said Murphy, who specializes in issues around aging. “What are the future implications for these older parents who have young children. As they get into their senior years, they may be 70-something with children at home,” she said.

[. . .]

Mayor David Barrow was surprised to find out that 76.5 per cent of Richmond Hill’s young adults are still bunking with mom and dad, but suspects many are commuting by day to universities and colleges in the GTA.

As well, over 50 per cent of the city’s residents come from other countries, like China, where housing is so expensive it’s just expected that kids will stay at home until they marry.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1259537--census-data-shows-more-young-adults-opting-to-live-with-mom-and-dad-in-905-regions

I cannot imagine a life where I would have been living with my parents for the past decade. Of course moving out on my own means that I have essentially bankrupted myself and now live paycheque to paycheque and in perpetual fear of having my few assets seized in order to pay off my neglected student loans.

I would have gone totally nutso. But if I lived in a country where being a grad student wasn't a financially viable proposition then I can definitely see that being the way to go. I think a lot of the older generation really don't realise how much more difficult it has become for young and low-income people to live independently.

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    My last two moving experiences were just to other apartments in the same complex. A complex I will likely be leaving next year though.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular

like a phoenix rising from the ashes

behold, the splendor of my beginning!

campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    my wife and i will finally be living together by the end of the year!

we gotta fit all her stuff into my smallish apartment

looks like most of my furniture will get donated/hit the curb

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    More than 75 per cent of 20- to 29-year-olds in GTA municipalities such as Richmond Hill, King City, Pickering, Vaughan and Caledon are still living with their parents, according to newly released census data.

That’s considerably more than the 56.3 per cent of 20-somethings who are still living at home in Toronto — and the 42.3 per cent across Canada — the 2011 census shows.

But the 905 nesting phenomenon appears to be far more cultural and financial than that old cliché of boomerang kids failing to launch.

Arian Saffarian, 26, and his 31-year-old brother are both still living at the Oakville home where they grew up after their parents emigrated here from Iran in 1996. Saffarian is in his final year at York University then has student loans to pay off. His brother is getting his feet on the ground in the working world.

[. . .]

Sales representative Diane Natalizio sees such old-world traditions and family dynamics playing out in the showroom of Expo City, one of the first major condo developments planned for the City of Vaughan.

“We see people in here who are 28 and nervous about being on their own for the first time. That’s the European background — you live at home until you get married,” says Natalizio, who did just that until she was 25.

[. . .]

University of British Columbia professor Mary Ann Murphy is more concerned about what she calls “delayed adulthood.” The 2011 census revealed just 30.8 per cent of young adults are likely to be part of a couple, compared to 51.8 per cent in 1981.

“We’ve got failure to launch, we’re delaying marriage, we’re delaying parenthood,” said Murphy, who specializes in issues around aging. “What are the future implications for these older parents who have young children. As they get into their senior years, they may be 70-something with children at home,” she said.

[. . .]

Mayor David Barrow was surprised to find out that 76.5 per cent of Richmond Hill’s young adults are still bunking with mom and dad, but suspects many are commuting by day to universities and colleges in the GTA.

As well, over 50 per cent of the city’s residents come from other countries, like China, where housing is so expensive it’s just expected that kids will stay at home until they marry.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1259537--census-data-shows-more-young-adults-opting-to-live-with-mom-and-dad-in-905-regions

I'm just gonna give a big ol "fuck you" to Mary Murphy for defining "adulthood" as being in a relationship and having kids. Fuck that bullshit.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Squall wrote: »

It's pretty funny how much my mom has freaked out about me getting rid of old, cheap furniture when we replace it with something better. She'll be all, "We'll come get that $100 Ikea dresser that you got from Lori even though we don't need it and would have to put in storage. Just don't give it away!"

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Druhim wrote: »

[. . .]

[. . .]

[. . .]

I'm just gonna give a big ol "fuck you" to Mary Murphy for defining "adulthood" as being in a relationship and having kids. Fuck that bullshit.

I suspect the quote is missing a lot of context, just from the way it's phrased. But certainly I would define it as being more 'adult' and responsible to wait until you're financially stable before having children.

Fair enough. I probably should have read the article.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    Fair enough. I probably should have read the article.
    nah the article doesn't give any more than what rolo quoted. I'm just going by how journalists work and how academics talk - there is no way that's all she said on the matter, but they clip things down.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Tynic, I always love it when you describe your job, because to me, it's so crazy and unique, but yet to you, it's just so mundane.

Blake T on
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular

[. . .]

[. . .]

[. . .]

Yeah, I'm holding down a salaried job, have a committed relationship and am nearly finished with my bachelor's degree but because I'm 23 and living with my parents because it's the most financially viable option I am not an adult? Not buying that.

• FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    listen. just because a man wants to be the only one spanked next to a crib, or wearing diapers around the house does not make him ANY LESS OF A MAN.

ETqXK.png
  • SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular

It's pretty funny how much my mom has freaked out about me getting rid of old, cheap furniture when we replace it with something better. She'll be all, "We'll come get that $100 Ikea dresser that you got from Lori even though we don't need it and would have to put in storage. Just don't give it away!"

yeah i recently busted the bed frame (it was older than i am)

so now i have no use for the (equally old) headboard and i was gonna toss that too (we'll get a new frame and headboard eventually)

oh no son why would toss that

that's some good wood son dont you waste that wood

edited September 2012
    Exactly! I get if it's actually some nice, vintage furniture that just needs some TLC and a new finish, but it's not.

Now, Jess has this bigass table taking up a good chunk of our living room but it actually is a family heirloom and would be quite nice if it were sanded and refinished. We just don't have the room for it. But hopefully a family member will be willing to take it in because otherwise we're eventually going to have to donate it or something.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg

yeah i recently busted the bed frame (it was older than i am)

so now i have no use for the (equally old) headboard and i was gonna toss that too (we'll get a new frame and headboard eventually)

oh no son why would toss that

that's some good wood son dont you waste that wood

you take that wood home, throw it in a pot, add some broth, a potato

baby, you've got a stew going