As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Moving!

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    normally i wouldnt be excited with moving all of her stuff up from ohio but fuck living in her apartment complex

it's near campus while she finishes her masters/teaches

it's constantly loud until 4am every night and theres fuckinh smashed glass everywhere and people door ding your car left and right and ugh

immolate undergrads

• Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    I really hope Annie and I can move next June. It'd be nice to get a bigger space, if not just for a bigger kitchen.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    normally i wouldnt be excited with moving all of her stuff up from ohio but fuck living in her apartment complex

it's near campus while she finishes her masters/teaches

it's constantly loud until 4am every night and theres fuckinh smashed glass everywhere and people door ding your car left and right and ugh

immolate undergrads

yes but have you considered WHOOOOOOO OHIO STATE WHOOOOOOOO FUCK YEAH BUCKEYES FUCK MICHIGAN IN THE ASS

• Options
    SquallSquall hap cloud Registered User regular
    i have all these glass bottles but i dont know how to get rid of them

toss them against the side of the dumpster i guess???/

lmao time to go back to trying to play the opening riff to Tank! over and over again at 2am

• Options
    scarlet blvd.scarlet blvd. Bebop Cola Goooood!Registered User regular
    Squall wrote: »
    i have all these glass bottles but i dont know how to get rid of them

toss them against the side of the dumpster i guess???/

lmao time to go back to trying to play the opening riff to Tank! over and over again at 2am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLMbu8y8xAE

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like our place, it's in a great location. And for the size, our kitchen is laid out pretty well. But the kitchen is also compact enough that Jess trying to help me while cooking usually just means she's getting in my way. :P

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Our kitchen sucks, not nearly enough counter space or floor space (there's around 1 foot of counter on one side of the stove, and 2-1/2 feet worth of a corner on the other side). It's a chore for 1 person to do more than 1 thing at a time, 2 people in there at the same time is just out of the question. Not the worst we've been in, but could be a lot better.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    I am living out of boxes for the foreseeable future. Kitchen is filled nearly to the ceiling with boxes and we have maybe six cabinets and one (currently missing for repair) drawer. Negligible counter space.

Begun the process of unpacking. Electronics are about 75% hooked up to tv, which still needs wall mounting. Half of the books are put away. Clothes are still in bags and boxes.

Doing a lot of the "ok here is the coffee maker, the coffee should be here but there's no filters and where is the grinder?" game. Lots and lots of stuff going to Goodwill soon. Glad to be in the new house, but exhausted as all hell after this weekend. Just glad we had friends to help the process, we would have been lost without them.

Really not looking forward to this coming weekend when we get the last of the items left behind and do the cleaning pass. That's always the worst.

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    The longest I've lived somewhere is 6 years (I've lived in the same places a few times). I will probably be moving around this time next year but I don't know where yet.

My mom found moving from Delaware - Idaho more stressful/difficult than moving from the Philippines to Delaware - I guess our moving company in the states sucked? They did lose the entire contents of my closet.

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    The longest I've lived somewhere is 6 years (I've lived in the same places a few times). I will probably be moving around this time next year but I don't know where yet.

My mom found moving from Delaware - Idaho more stressful/difficult than moving from the Philippines to Delaware - I guess our moving company in the states sucked? They did lose the entire contents of my closet.

@neville

8406wWN.png
  • Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    Oh I don't think it was nearly as bad as neville's experience!

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Druhim wrote: »
    I like our place, it's in a great location. And for the size, our kitchen is laid out pretty well. But the kitchen is also compact enough that Jess trying to help me while cooking usually just means she's getting in my way. :P

I totally didn't plan that or anything :whistle:

e: WTF forum, double quotes for no reason?

Usagi on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I am living out of boxes for the foreseeable future. Kitchen is filled nearly to the ceiling with boxes and we have maybe six cabinets and one (currently missing for repair) drawer. Negligible counter space.

Begun the process of unpacking. Electronics are about 75% hooked up to tv, which still needs wall mounting. Half of the books are put away. Clothes are still in bags and boxes.

Doing a lot of the "ok here is the coffee maker, the coffee should be here but there's no filters and where is the grinder?" game. Lots and lots of stuff going to Goodwill soon. Glad to be in the new house, but exhausted as all hell after this weekend. Just glad we had friends to help the process, we would have been lost without them.

Really not looking forward to this coming weekend when we get the last of the items left behind and do the cleaning pass. That's always the worst.

We just moved into our first house from a small apartment back in mid-may, and I had a hell of a time unpacking the kitchen. It's probably twice the size of our old one, with 3 times the cupboard space and a pantry. The problem wasn't "where can we fit everything" but "we've got space to do this right, where is the best place to put everything?"

Which is the best problem to have

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    I was VERY lucky with where I've moved to. Got the place three days before my new job was to start, for a reduced rent all inclusive, a nice sized room and rest of flat is nice too. AND its two minutes to my job, literally, and in one of the poshest places I ever did see.

I lucked out big style.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I moved back home after being laid off. It's nice to have people cooking for me again and I try and help out by doing washing and trying to keep the place clean.

I do miss living in my own place though.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Dronus86Dronus86 Now with cheese!Registered User regular
    I just moved! I went from not knowing I was moving to entirely moved in two weeks, while only borrowing a friends truck for a day.

The key is to just fucking do it. I started in one room and packed everything I didn't need in the foreseeable future, and repeated that throughout the house. Another suggestion is to pack all your bare necessities in one box, so when you get moved in you can just unpack that box and be ready for sleep/work/everything else. Just don't lose that damn box.

Also, I want a pile of awesome electronics to dabble with :(

Look at me. Look at me. Look at how large the monster inside me has become.
    Crunch Crunch! Munch Munch! Chomp Chomp! Gulp!
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2012
    yeah, problem is I can't really transport a box. I'll be living out of a suitcase for at least a few weeks and storing everything else until I find an apartment. Which is basically the same thing.

edit: most of those were scavanged from discarded radios and computers I picked up for a buck or two from the local second-hand/charity shops. It's easy!

tynic on
  • Options
    I supposed I first should figure out wtf I'm doing before I start just gathering bits of electronics
    :rotate:

• Options
    LarlarLarlar consecutive normal brunches Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Liiya wrote: »
    I was VERY lucky with where I've moved to. Got the place three days before my new job was to start, for a reduced rent all inclusive, a nice sized room and rest of flat is nice too. AND its two minutes to my job, literally, and in one of the poshest places I ever did see.

I lucked out big style.

Both my partner and I live about a 7-minute walk from where we work (with two different employers). We lucked the fuck out. We basically walk a few blocks to a major street every morning, then she turns left and I go right.

Not having to commute, to pay for public transit, or to deal with traffic...it's the greatest luxury in the world.

iwantanswers3.png
  • Options
    It must be pleasant to stroll and chat with your lady in the morning, too, if only for a while.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I have to find a new place to live, too. Going out apartment-hunting in a few minutes, actually.

If anyone wants to buy some unbuilt Gundam models I will cut you a deal because I think I'm done with Gunpla and that shit takes up a lot of space to move.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    Moving is the worst and I never want to do it again. It's not even like I have a load of stuff to move around, but the volume of the objects doesn't really lend itself to moving easily.
    So thankful and appreciative of my parents for helping me out so much moving in to this apartment, I literally could not have gotten it done without them.

• Options
    Larlar wrote: »

I lucked out big style.

Both my partner and I live about a 7-minute walk from where we work (with two different employers). We lucked the fuck out. We basically walk a few blocks to a major street every morning, then she turns left and I go right.

Not having to commute, to pay for public transit, or to deal with traffic...it's the greatest luxury in the world.

That's pretty brilliant.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I think the really frustrating thing about moving at this time is that I actually know a dude who is a landlord and is cool but he isn't going to have any openings at his place for at least six months.

So, like, I want to find a nice place but at the back of my mind I'm also looking for a place that isn't so awesome that I wouldn't want to leave it for the aforementioned dude's places, but that would require moving yet again in a relatively short amount of time and - well I'm making things into a bigger deal than they need to be, is what I think.

• Options
    George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    I'm still trying to figure out what do to for more color in my place. I have some posters that I want to throw up when I eventually get some cheap frames, but 2 of the walls in my livingroom are cement, so that kind of limits my ability to pretty them up. I was thinking maybe using those Command Strip things, since a friend from the dorms used those on our cement walls last year and they worked pretty well. I remember them being annoying to actually remove though.

• Options
    Can't you paint the walls? Oh wait, you mean hanging stuff. Yeah, that is a butt.

Our walls are a combo of cracked cement, grit and old plaster. Either you blunt masonry drill bits trying to get a hole going, or the whole wall just crumbles when you touch it. I'm gonna be glad to see the back of this place.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I moved in early June. I still haven't put up a lot of wall arts. I am dumb. I hate moving.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    I prooobably could paint if I asked nicely, but I really don't want to deal with repainting it before moving out.

• Options
    I prooobably could paint if I asked nicely, but I really don't want to deal with repainting it before moving out.

Oh, so they're unpainted? Or just an ugly colour?
    man I don't know what the rental laws in your region are like, but even if you can't do it off your own bat you'd think the landlords would be happy to have a tenant do a paint job/refresh the walls (as long as the colour wasn't obnoxious) because it can only increase the property value.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    When I move to Canada all I'm bringing is a suitcase full of clothes, a laptop, a kindle and probably my iPad.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Larlar wrote: »

I lucked out big style.

that is pooping on the clock at work

• Options
    So I got two replies already from the moving companies, neither of which were completely helpful. I got a quote for removal based on cubic footage, including indefinite storage. I then asked them if they would supply packing materials (as firms in other countries often do, or even require you to use their standard box size) and what would happen if the volume turned out to be less or more than my estimate.

first company: "If you need packing materials, we'll bring them ourselves" (Ok not sure what this means. Is this before or on the moving date? do you mean you'll pack for me? I'm happy to pack myself but morning-of is gonna be leaving it late and I don't want to pay you guys to pack up my shit. I just wanted to know if you had boxes i could use)
    "If the volume is a little less, the price will go down" (Ok well I assumed but ... nice to know how much by. Also, how much I can increase the volume by before blowing my budget)

second company: "If you send me a list of the furniture and is approximate number of boxes, then I will recalculate the amount. Disassembly and reassembly of large items must be done, so they do not break when carrying or during transport. Small items do not need to be disassembled. If you need us to pack and supply materials then this will cost 8Euro per box."

My takeaway from this is that they do not supply packing materials and do not really understand the question.

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Going this week to take a look at this

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Stale wrote: »

i am motherfucking seething at the cost of that

fucking christ
    fucking
    fucking housing market
    fucking
    god damnit
    i have to pay half a million for a little apartment and
    RRGGHHHH

• Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    Jesus christ $110k

That would be upwards of a half mil here

• Options
    BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Stale wrote: »
    That looks awesome!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
  • Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Don't old buildings like that usually have a lot of problems with plumbing, heating, etc after being converted into lofts?
    This is me being jealous because that would cost my first-born son in NYC.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Stale, that is baller as hell.

Also, Moving licks dirty buttholes.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    That's a smaller and more expensive unit than I've been looking at previously.

You can seriously find short-sales for 75k for comparable places in Atlanta.

YAY Bankrupt Hipsters!

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    If only it weren't a southern climate.

belruelotterav-1.jpg