As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bears of War (boobs, blood, suicide)

2»

• NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Actually, I thought the Eeyore one was funny... Just because Eeyore is *always* depressed and very little is ever done about it... I did find calling him 'Donkey' a little disconcerting, though.

NakedElf on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NakedElf wrote: »
    Actually, I thought the Eeyore one was funny... Just because Eeyore is *always* depressed and very little is ever done about it... I did find calling him 'Donkey' a little disconcerting, though.

He is a donkey, also using his name directly when not parodying that particular work could get you in trouble(Strawberry shortcake anyone?)

teamquiggan on
  • NakedElfNakedElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    NakedElf wrote: »

He is a donkey, also using his name directly when not parodying that particular work could get you in trouble(Strawberry shortcake anyone?)

Actually, if Disney/the Milne estate decided to sue, not having used the name probably wouldn't make an ounce of difference. Eeyore isn't just any donkey, he's very specifically *that* donkey, with those colors and that depressed personality. In fact, the entire joke rests on the known character of Eeyore--it doesn't *work* if it's not Eeyore. It's Eeyore, and you wouldn't have a chance in heck of convincing a jury otherwise.

That said, there is a strong case to be made that it *is* a work of satire. He's making fun of the fact that Eeyore is always depressed and no one does anything about it. But even Eeyore's suicide attempt doesn't work and goes completely unnoticed.

The problem with the Strawberry Shortcake comic was that they were using Hallmark's copyrighted character to make fun of Alice McGee's game. They *weren't* making fun of Strawberry Shortcake herself. This comic, by contrast, is specifically making fun of the way Eeyore is depicted and treated in Milne/Disney's works. It isn't using Eeyore to make fun of something else.

Therefore, this case is not comparable to the Strawberry Shortcake case, but does in fact fall reasonably under the protective umbrella of 'satire'.

Of course, Disney could sue *anyway*, just because they want to protect their brand image and they can afford to pay for frivolous lawsuits. But they can do that no matter what you call the donkey.

NakedElf on
  • Mr HerringMr Herring Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Let them sue me, they wan' t find me, I' m living in Poland (or Nowhere, like few of us like to say) :D

Ok. Like I said before, I want to take Bears in a different direction, I don' t know now - where, so I need few more days to think about it, huh. Meanwhile, when I was thinking about "the direction" I started to work on a short animation (well, kind of...) with Bears, so I drawn few concepts.

bow1qn5.jpg
    bow2hz8.jpg
    bow3cl3.jpg
    bow4hu6.jpg

I don' t like to waste time, so HERE you have this... ekhm... animation. It' s 2:33 minutes long with a good use of a classic "Golden brown" tune performed by The Stranglers. Enjoy!

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy shit.

Mayday on
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That was really cool. I love your style. I also laughed at the 'Holy Shit' on the T-shirt.

I liked it a lot.

Chop Logic on
  • AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That was amazering.

Really! I love that style x 1000000000 great jorb.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
    edited August 2007
    Thanks! I' m just starting to learn Adobe After Effect (it' s my third "animation", the first one sucks soooo bad, that I have to eat my hard drive), but I' m really enjoying doing all this shit, like editing (cutting two frames here, 5 frames here), mixing it with music... It' s something new for me and probably I' ll do few movies more.

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • lilchingch0nglilchingch0ng Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    that was pretty good, i just wish there was more animation in it O_o

...and thats not a passive aggresive insult either, i mean i was somewhat (relatively speaking) dissapointed because your style looks like it would be crazy cool if it were dynamically animated, and the animatic i saw didn't rly have that.

do i just sound like a hater? i'm rly not trying to hate, i like, but i'm just dissapointed.

lilchingch0ng on
  • Chop LogicChop Logic Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah I do agree a little bit. Is there anyway you can make it more 'animated'? I don't know anything about after effect.

Chop Logic on
    edited August 2007
    I can promise, that my next movie will be more animated. This one took me five days (12 hours of work for a day). And it was just drawing artworks, backgrounds and few frames of a basic animation (dust, blows, my nickname[over 200 frames]) with few hours spend on editing all of this. So, I just need more time and that' s a problem, I 'm f***ing busy right now.

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm sorry to ask this here, but I'm not really in any AE groups of any sort and I read these forums the most.

Anyway, I've been thinking about rotoscoping for quite a while for a project and basically I'm looking around for an application which has decent onion skinning tools. Photoshop, for me, is just annoying to work with if I want to actually do rotoscoping. (Yes I know it has an animation panel but frankly I don't really enjoy working with it because I have to keep changing layer settings all the time.)

So I'd like to ask about your methodology doing this movie. Did you just draw your comps in PS or something and then bring them into AE for animation? Or did you actually paint the stuff in AE? Because if your process involved the latter, I'd really like to know your view of AE's animation tools. (E.g. Not involving Vector Paint, just the conventional Paint tool.)

I know AE wasn't built for painters, and more complicated, detailed work SHOULD be done in PS and then brought over to AE, but I'd really like constant visual feedback tools like onion skinning and maybe some simple shape interpolation(?), and basically, does After Effects offer this out-of-the-box w/o plugins that cost an arm and a leg?

Or should I be looking at other solutions?

Any advice you can offer as an animator would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the vid is similar to what I'm trying to achieve, static images and backgrounds which exult life and character through parallax scrolling, w/o substantial frame-by-frame animation. Think MGS Portable Ops cutscenes/ MGS Digital Graphic Novel, Company of Heroes cutscenes, and the like.

I like your animation, though I found sometimes the repeated sequences would get rather stale, but overall the artwork was refreshing. Though I have no idea what message the video's trying to convey at the end, flying bodies always = win.

sonictk on
  • MoonmanMoonman Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That's a great animatic. Really nice animatic. Animatic...

NOT animation.

Still win'd for Golden Brown.

Moonman on
    banner02.gif
    edited August 2007
    sonictk - well, I' m not an animator at all. I' m just a drawer, who sometimes is playing with animatics (yep, you are right Moonman, I have forget about that word). And as a drawer I have drawn everything on paper, then colored it in PS, then tryed to make it move, somehow. This animatic was a lesson and good fun, nothing more. I don' t know AE at all, it was all based on not to make a mistake or something, hitting buttons and a knownlegde about Adobe programms. Can' t help ya, sorry :(

Now, something new, a little bit funnier, then my last works... I hope so. Enjoy!

bowwallp3pd2.jpg

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    K to sum up this thread so no one needs to post ever again.

"YAH, I LIK THA ART"

"BUT, DEY NOT DAT FUNNAY"

Forbe! on
    bv2ylq8pac8s.png
    edited August 2007
    Thank you in the name of that ones, who don' t know this thread. Short, bullseye, brillant.

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • InzignaInzigna Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I'm not an artist, and I can't really talk about your writing. But I really like your art, so yeah, hope you keep updating, good stuff to look forward to.

Inzigna on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited September 2007
    Something new. Enjoy yourself!

bowtobatsij5.jpg

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    Hahahaha yes!

I love that book.

bombardier on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I like how he randomly capsized Link's boat on the way back.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    that's awesome.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • mullymully Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    God, the art. I love it. I've always been so intrigued by artists who were able to pull off the 'not quite inside the lines' colouring and still have it look clean and professional.

Good on you.

mully on
  • NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    This is all on some stupid awesome level I'm just not equipped to comprehend.

NotASenator on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited September 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    This is all on some stupid awesome level I'm just not equipped to comprehend.
    Have you read The Old Man and the Sea and heard of Bioshock? That's all you need to know.

bombardier on
    edited September 2007
    Thanks! One more, enjoy!

bowstrip12uk2.jpg

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • djFindusdjFindus Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Me like, me like loooooong time!

your drawings kick ass, jokes need work.

djFindus on
  • NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    The art is really really good, it all looks like it was done so fast!

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    holy shit that stuff is funny. I love it.

Seriously, fuck the writing though, you dont need it. I'd just let the your art tell the the story (ala happy tree friends, which your stuff reminds me of...which is a good thing.)

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited September 2007
    So... Another joke that need work, Mykonos - thanks, I appreciate it. Enjoy!

bowstrip13cy9.jpg

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Very nice art but you need to work on your jokes.

Peas on
  • teamquigganteamquiggan Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    I dunno, Seeing mastercheif Pop a boner, quite impossibly with the Spartan suit on got me to laugh, also "Fucking old gross pervert can." Is a brilliant insault

teamquiggan on
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    "you heard about that the" is wrong.

It should be something like "I hope you heard that the greatest soldier of all time"

Johannen on
    edited November 2007
    Long time, no see. Something new. Enjoy (or not)!

bowstrip15qg9.jpg
    bowthewitchestkd6.jpg

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HAHA.

Brilliant... I love the Kane & Lynch.

Welcome back.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    "Shit... what's now?"

Do you mean "Shit... what is IT now?" or "Shit... what's IT now?"

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Kewop - yep! Something wrong, is it too short? My english is very basic, you know.

And something new.

bowstrip16vg3.jpg

Mr Herring on
    fakesignaturejh6.jpg
    fakesignaturejh6qh0.jpg
  • ScrumtrulescentScrumtrulescent Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haha, that one's great. As it's been said a million times, I love your art style.

Scrumtrulescent on
  • Disturbed_1Disturbed_1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That was great!:lol:

Disturbed_1 on
    captain_america.gif