As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Challenge Coin - No more coins!

KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
edited March 2013 in PAX East
Update 3/29/2013: I have passed along the info on everyone left on the waiting list to Chirishman, who indicates that he will be looking into doing a final short-run minting for those of you who didn't make it off the waiting list. If you never signed up for the waiting list, please get in contact with Chirishman. I have removed the links to the Google doc, as I will no longer be monitoring it (but everyone who signed up prior to today, has in fact had his or her info passed along, except the one guy who asked me to take him off the list).

Update 3/17/2013: That's it, I'm out of coins! I'm afraid those on the waiting list who haven't been emailed yet are not going to get coins this go-around. If anyone from the waiting list steps forward to try to do a final reminting, I'd be happy to help pass along the necessary info, but I won't be involved in actually sending out any more coins myself. See you at PAX!

Update 2/1/2013: Orders are now officially closed, which means the waiting list is now open. To get on the waiting list, fill out the information on what you want using this form. I am ordering a very small surplus in case of mailing issues, so if no mailing issues arise, we should be able to take a few people off the waiting list. Also, the waiting list will get any coins which aren't paid for by the people who submitted orders before the cut-off. So, if you haven't submitted your order yet, don't despair! There's a very good chance that some people will get coins from the waiting list! Obviously, I will go through the waiting list in chronological order, so the sooner you enter a waiting list order, the better your odds. The cost per coin ended up being $4.12, plus $5.95 for domestic shipping, plus the PayPal fee of

If you got your order in before the cut-off, then expect to see your invoice shortly. I have a small supply of coins from the trial run (100 coins, to be precise), so the first orders paid for will get early shipping. Once those 100 coins run out, you'll have to wait for the second batch to come in (sometime around the end of February) at which point I will mail the rest. If you have not paid for your coins by the time I receive the second batch (again, around the end of February), then expect that your coins may be given away to people on the waiting list. Please do not make me do this! I am doing this at cost, and so if you don't pay for your order, and there's no one on the waiting list, I am out the money.

Update 1/3/2013: Wow, almost double where we were a week ago: 317 coins. That means the estimated per-cost coin should be around $4.67 (again, to emphasize, this is an estimated cost, based on Phoenix's earlier quotes, which may not be valid by the time we order). We're also tentatively looking at accepting orders for the PAX East 2012 coin (last year's coin). If you want to order those, use the same form, but mark "PAX East 2012" in the comments field. If there's enough interest, I'll go out to Phoenix for a quote on that.

Update 12/27/2012: Thanks to everyone's orders, we're up to 168 coins at the moment. That means the per-coin cost has dropped to $5.60 (plus shipping and Paypal fees, as described below). Everyone will pay the same price, so the first orders will get the price drop as well as new orders. Also, I've had some questions on shipping. As I understand it, the padded mailer is flat-rate, as long as everything fits in the envelope. I know that at least 5 coins will fit, but more than that, I can't definitively say until I've got coins in hand and try stuffing them in myself. So more information should be available next week.

Update 12/24/2012: Orders are now open! Please use this form to reserve the number of coins you want. Orders will be accepted until February 1st (orders received after February 1st will go to the waiting list). On February 2nd, I will submit a request to Phoenix to mint that number of coins, and will send out invoices to everyone who submitted an order. Please pay promptly, as unpaid orders may have their coins released to the waiting list after 2 weeks (i.e., on about February 16th). Also, orders will ship in the order in which payment is received.

How much does it cost? That depends on how many orders we get. I will bill everyone the exact amount needed to break even. Since we have certain fixed costs (such as the die cost), that means the more orders, the cheaper each coin will be. Also, fluctuations in metal costs could potentially increase (or decrease) coin costs. However, based on the prices Phoenix quoted me in December, I expect that if we get 100 orders (we're at 79 right now), each coin should cost about $6.50. One week before coin ordering ends, I will give a more precise quote, with the opportunity to back out, but this estimate should be good for now. I'll update estimated per coin costs as orders come in, but I will say that if we end up with 400, about the quantity of last year, then prices would be closer to $4.50/coin.

In addition to the base cost of the coins, US orders add $5.30 for a basic, priority mail flat rate envelope. If you want additional shipping features (delivery confirm, etc.) I'm happy to do that, and will add the cost of those features to your invoice (please see usps.gov for more info on services and rates). International orders would add whatever the cost is of shipping to their countries. I strongly advise giving me instructions on how you want it shipped to you if you are international. Note that there will be no will call pick-up at PAX, as that has proved to be too much of a logistical issue.

Also, PayPal takes a cut of $0.30 + 2.9%. So, if you ordered 5 coins at $4.67 each, your total cost would be: (5*4.67 + 5.30) * 1.029 + 0.30 = $29.78.

Last but not least, here are pictures of how it looks!
SAM_5688.JPGSAM_5684.JPG

Original post (with edits):
Yes, it's getting to be that time again. The Challenge Coin has a long and storied PAX history, and is frankly probably the most awesome swag that the show produces. The past coins are pictured below:
PAX Prime 2012
i4ihvn.jpg
PAX East 2012 (it looks yellow-ish in these pictures, but is in fact a matte nickel finish)
6782627662_335b64dd49.jpg6928747379_a69b9f2623.jpg
Earlier coins
IMG_20110906_134750.jpg
IMG_20110906_134838.jpg

This year is, as always, a volunteer, collaborative effort. The coin is "for" all PAX attendees, but we recognize that most of the people who end up participating in the project are forum-ers. Cost is generally about $5. Over the past couple of years, certain features have become standing traditions:
The size of the coin is 1.75"
The finish for the East coin is antique nickel (Prime sometimes uses the golden "antique brass finish")
The coin has smooth edges (this has changed from year to year, but this year the voting was for smooth).
The obverse features an image from the host city (along with a border featuring the date and location: "PAX East 2013" "Boston, MA" and "March 22 - 24") while the reverse features a gaming image (along with the Pac-Man border, featuring the Wheaton's Law and "Welcome Home")

Having spent several weeks brainstorming, discussing, and debating, we seem to have settled on the following ideas. The obverse (image from host city) will feature the Leonard P. Zakim Bunker Hill Memorial Bridge, while the reverse will feature linked Game Boys. The overall theme of the coin then (which arrived kind of by accident), is "making connections."

In order to get the designs to Phoenix Challenge Coins early enough so that we're not scrambling to ship them before PAX, we aim to follow this schedule:
Until October 20: Brainstorming/general discussion. Done! See agreed-upon themes above!
October 21-November 10: Submission of mock-ups and designs based on the agreed-upon theme. Done!
November 11-November 25: Current stage! Work with Phoenix to finalize designs. Close and tally voting for edge (smooth versus ridged). Done!
After November 25: Collect money, approve designs for Phoenix, take orders (the exact order of these steps is still open for debate, as I would like to avoid the situation we've had the last couple go-arounds where someone has to front the money for the order).

KoalaBro2 on

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    To get the ball rolling, the two biggest Boston landmarks that haven't been used yet for the Obverse are probably Faneuil Hall, an old public forum for speeches and the like, and Zakim Bridge. There's certainly plenty of history we haven't touched (like the Boston Tea Party). However, the obverse has always been presented straight, without gaming references (i.e., we didn't put warp pipes on the Seattle skyline, and we're not going to do a Boston Tea Party scene where they're throwing PS3s into the water or anything).

For the reverse, I feel like consoles have been getting short shrift, and so I think we should try to do something console-themed this time around.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I would like to see the classic Atari Joystiq on the gaming side. As for the Boston side, what about the Prudential Tower, the Cheers logo, the Bunker Hill monument, or Paul Revere's house. This will be my 4th Pax East, but the first time I will buy a coin. How much do they usually costs?

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    i like the joystick idea. it's simple, recognizable, and classic. for the obverse, i am a fan of the zakim bridge. it's unique-looking, a significant part of the skyline, and i just think it looks nice. also, as a local, i will cry sad sad tears if the cheers logo is used for anything ever. i liked the show as much as anyone but just... no.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I'd like to see the bridge on one side. On the other I don't mind the Atari, but I think it'd be funny to have something like Snake, which would represent classic gaming and the large lines in the expo floor/queue room.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    I like the bridge for the Boston side. The joystick sounds good, do we want to embellish it at all or just have it sitting front and center?

vru37z14gk5j.png

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    I do like the Zakim for the Boston side (hell, I pulled for it the first year we did East challenge coins), but I also like the idea of the BCEC for that side. The arch at the front top of the building is visually interesting and looks sort of like a space ship from the right angle.

HI3789R.png
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Zakim Bridge seems like a solid suggestion. The 2600 joystick seems like a good idea too, although I do think it might need some embellishment/accoutrement(s).

con_AtariJoystick.jpg
    ZakimBridge1-783417.jpg

PS - This is my annual plea to go back to smooth edges. Can't stand the reeded edge.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    I'm going to toss my support in for the joystick. I think we should give it space-invader style enemies around it as a sort of stylized wreath or such (Akin to the 2011 east dice wreath), since the joystick alone is on the simple side. As for the landmark, I actually prefer the Boston Light, a lighthouse site in boston older than the United States itself. The Bridge is cool, but I don't think it's characteristic of boston. I think the Boston Light or the Faneuil Hall are better for this. There's also the Bunker Hill Monument, to widen the variety of options.

Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    I'm going to toss my support in for the joystick. I think we should give it space-invader style enemies around it as a sort of stylized wreath or such (Akin to the 2011 east dice wreath), since the joystick alone is on the simple side. As for the landmark, I actually prefer the Boston Light, a lighthouse site in boston older than the United States itself. The Bridge is cool, but I don't think it's characteristic of boston. I think the Boston Light or the Faneuil Hall are better for this. There's also the Bunker Hill Monument, to widen the variety of options.

Faneuil Hall wouldn't be too bad, but on a coin I'm afraid Bunker Hill would just look like the Washington Monument.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Can we get a Redcoat being tea bagged as an image with "Boston Tea Party" above it of course

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    definitely want a coin again for 2013 - love our 2012 :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    As long as Bill Belichick or Tom Brady isn't on the Boston side, I'm in!

This space for rent
  • The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    The ideas so far sound great. I will likely be in for a coin this year. Thanks for starting this one early this year @KoalaBro2

PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • KorvasKorvas Registered User regular
    I'm def up for another challenge coin this year! the joystick is a great idea, but didn't we go classic last year? what with the arcade machine and the invader characters on the side? maybe a board game theme, or something more modern this year?

• purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    What about something representing card games? Would go well with the trading cards as well. For the Boston side I want to say Dunkin' Donuts but I know that will never fly.

pureval wrote: »
    What about something representing card games? Would go well with the trading cards as well.

There are cards on the East 2011 coins. They are below the dice (last pic in the spoiler in the OP).

HI3789R.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    What about something representing card games? Would go well with the trading cards as well. For the Boston side I want to say Dunkin' Donuts but I know that will never fly.

lol Dunkin Donuts are in loads of east coast places though, not just boston :)

• KomiKomi Registered User regular
    Missed out on getting a coin for Prime 2012 and regret it brutally, but I'm definitely not missing out on this one.

I really like the idea of the bridge, and as for the gaming side... To be honest I'd love to see some kind of PC gaming related thing on it but since that was done for prime's coin, it probably wouldn't fly.

Some kind of controller seems cool to me though. Maybe a Dreamcast controller? I've always held that system pretty dearly in my mind.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Badge (HOLYCRAPIGOTA4DAY!)
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
    edited September 2012
    Missed out on getting a coin for Prime 2012 and regret it brutally, but I'm definitely not missing out on this one.

I really like the idea of the bridge, and as for the gaming side... To be honest I'd love to see some kind of PC gaming related thing on it but since that was done for prime's coin, it probably wouldn't fly.

Some kind of controller seems cool to me though. Maybe a Dreamcast controller? I've always held that system pretty dearly in my mind.

EDIT: CRAP. Somehow this double posted on me. Can I get this one deleted? =/

Komi on
    -PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]In awe that my 30 minute badge window prediction was pretty close to accurate.
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    punzie wrote: »
    What about something representing card games? Would go well with the trading cards as well.

There are cards on the East 2011 coins. They are below the dice (last pic in the spoiler in the OP).

Whoops. Thought those were tablets. Sorry.

Considering we've hit, in this order, handheld, tabletop, console, arcade, pc... it seems like it's time for handheld again to me (yes, the d-pad and the power symbol were for console). I don't have a specific objection to doing something console related, but handheld has had the longest absence.

Also while we did "tabletop" including cards and dice, we never really touched on board games or minis. Those could be a new space to explore.

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Fenway Park is a pretty recognizable landmark as well. As for the flip side, cards and tablets/handhelds could represent the line waiting / awesomeness of playing with strangers of PAX nicely :)

zerzhul wrote: »

lol Dunkin Donuts are in loads of east coast places though, not just boston :)

perhaps it could be a dunkin donuts directly across the street from another dunkin donuts? lol.
    Considering we've hit, in this order, handheld, tabletop, console, arcade, pc... it seems like it's time for handheld again to me (yes, the d-pad and the power symbol were for console). I don't have a specific objection to doing something console related, but handheld has had the longest absence.

while i still like the atari joystick idea, i'm curious; how can we represent handheld in a way that is unique from the previous handheld design? mainly i'm curious because i can't come up with anything myself. thoughts?

7YIpfE5.png
    Maybe we can depart from the using the gaming aspects of PAX and include another facet? I know the original handheld design also paid homage to the concerts, but we could still revisit the concerts as well as jamspace, panels, lines/queue room, cookie brigade, getting pranked, etc. Maybe make some sort of crest-style design using the different animal names of the theaters?

HI3789R.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    Maybe we can depart from the using the gaming aspects of PAX and include another facet? I know the original handheld design also paid homage to the concerts, but we could still revisit the concerts as well as jamspace, panels, lines/queue room, cookie brigade, getting pranked, etc. Maybe make some sort of crest-style design using the different animal names of the theaters?

Or best of all worlds, a drawing that is a 3/4 top down view of a queue line that wraps snake style back and forth either from bottom to top or left to right, and in the line are all of the various aspects of PAX - person playing hand-held, people getting pranked, cookie brigade, cards, enforcers.. almost a where's waldo. I know there's not a lot of space, and this would require an artist's touch to do, but it could be all things.. and therefore epic :)

edited September 2012
    vttym wrote: »

Or best of all worlds, a drawing that is a 3/4 top down view of a queue line that wraps snake style back and forth either from bottom to top or left to right, and in the line are all of the various aspects of PAX - person playing hand-held, people getting pranked, cookie brigade, cards, enforcers.. almost a where's waldo. I know there's not a lot of space, and this would require an artist's touch to do, but it could be all things.. and therefore epic :)

Points for creativity, but I can't see that ever working on a 1.75" coin. We can't even put the official Forum Crest on the coin because it's too intricate/detailed to be legible.

flatline on
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I'd second using the BCEC at the Boston side at some point, if not this year. The Zakim is certainly visually interesting and iconic. I don't think I've seen meeple being used for boardgaming yet, so that's something to keep in mind going forward. How about a 3DS cartridge with PAX East 2013 on it, like we did the header on the arcade cab?

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Yeah I'm not sure why we haven't used the BCEC before, it would work pretty well.

I love this idea! for one main reason... it will give us a chance to rotate between pax east and prime. one year prime will have hand held, the next we do... that way those (like myself) who can only attend one event get to have their favorite game of choice, without repeating things....

as far as handheld goes, if we do indeed use that concept, I would like to try and venture away from the (3)ds... and don't get me wrong... as of right now its the only hand held I own, there are others out there...maybe involve the vita?

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    If we're doing hand-held I'd suggest trying to find a way to also involve the community in the picture. Maybe two Gameboys link-cabled together, or something to do with the handheld lounge?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    If we're doing hand-held I'd suggest trying to find a way to also involve the community in the picture. Maybe two Gameboys link-cabled together, or something to do with the handheld lounge?

I completely second this idea, the two Gameboys link-cabled, that is, I think that's an excellent idea.

-PAX Prime 2014-
    [x]Hotel
    [ ]Airfare
    [ ]Buttoneering Buttons
    [ ]Challenge Coin
  • Josh5890Josh5890 ChicagoRegistered User regular
    if we are going the handheld route, how about the virtual boy? ;)

This space for rent
    Josh5890 wrote: »

that's about as hand-held as a gamegear plus all 80 battery packs you had to take with you.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Josh5890 wrote: »

that's about as hand-held as a gamegear plus all 80 battery packs you had to take with you.
    So you're saying there's a chance...?

But if we wanna keep it retro for handhelds, maybe throwing a Game and Watch of Tiger Electronics device on that side of the coin?

Traitorious on
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    I don't know a whole lot about retro handhelds. I can only say I like the idea of two Gameboys link-cabled together.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
    a definitely agree on the linked gameboys. nice and classic, and really represents the community atmosphere that pax is all about.

7YIpfE5.png
  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    Hi All! This will be my first time getting a coin, but I was thinking...

I really like using the BCEC in the coin, especially if we draw it from this angle: http://www.massconvention.com/newsletter/0411/images/Marquee.jpg or http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/wiki/images/thumb/b/ba/BCEC-Exterior_Night.jpg/400px-BCEC-Exterior_Night.jpg I like the one with the Marquee because the Marquee could have the PAX logo on it. :)

I think the flip side should be a board game - something recognizable like Catan or Ticket. Or maybe even a Catan road bleeding into a ticket to ride train... something like that! It hasn't been done before and the Board Game area keeps getting bigger and bigger every year.

Who is going to PAX South?
    edited September 2012
    Hi All! This will be my first time getting a coin, but I was thinking...

I really like using the BCEC in the coin, especially if we draw it from this angle: http://www.massconvention.com/newsletter/0411/images/Marquee.jpg or http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/wiki/images/thumb/b/ba/BCEC-Exterior_Night.jpg/400px-BCEC-Exterior_Night.jpg I like the one with the Marquee because the Marquee could have the PAX logo on it. :)

I think the flip side should be a board game - something recognizable like Catan or Ticket. Or maybe even a Catan road bleeding into a ticket to ride train... something like that! It hasn't been done before and the Board Game area keeps getting bigger and bigger every year.

I think we should shelve the BCEC and use it for the 5th anniversary East (next year). I think the bridge would be a good choice this year, and next year we use the BCEC and a PAX V or something on the marquee.

Also, I kind of like the Settlers' board idea - it would probably translate better than a standard rectangle board like Monopoly. Everyone has to keep in mind that we are putting this on to a coin that's less than 2 inches across, so detail is a bit hard to come by.
    Settlers%20setup.jpeg

flatline on
    so many great ideas! can't wait to see the final product... and to LadyAmalthea that pic got me so excited for pax... I love the walk to the bcec thursday night seeing that image and a giant welcome home banner... brings tears of joy to my eyes lol

This discussion has been closed.