As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX EAST 2013 Information and FAQ (READ THIS FIRST, THEN ASK ALL QUESTIONS HERE)

• RayzeRayze Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    gerafin wrote: »
    Driving:
    Pros: -Works no matter where you're staying -You don't have to interact with anyone until you get to PAX. -On par with taxi-speed if you have a GPS or a decent head for maps (and what gamer doesn't?)
    Cons: -Parking is expensive at the BCEC (I've never done it, so check the forums for exact amounts) -Driving in Boston can be terrifying if you're not used to city driving -The chances of getting lost if you don't have a GPS are higher than you'd think.

For the past two years, parking at the BCEC has been $10-12 per day. I don't know what it'll be like for next year but it's not a horrible option, especially for those who want to be on-site

Gerafin, each PAX East there is something called the Pre-Pax Bar Crawl (here's a link to last PAX East thread): Link

I have never done it nor do I know if it'll even be done next year but I've heard it's a great way to meet new people and get drunk at once

Rayze on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Rayze wrote: »
    Driving:
    Pros: -Works no matter where you're staying -You don't have to interact with anyone until you get to PAX. -On par with taxi-speed if you have a GPS or a decent head for maps (and what gamer doesn't?)
    Cons: -Parking is expensive at the BCEC (I've never done it, so check the forums for exact amounts) -Driving in Boston can be terrifying if you're not used to city driving -The chances of getting lost if you don't have a GPS are higher than you'd think.

For the past two years, parking at the BCEC has been $10-12 per day. I don't know what it'll be like for next year but it's not a horrible option, especially for those who want to be on-site

Gerafin, each PAX East there is something called the Pre-Pax Bar (here's a link to last PAX East thread): Link

I have never done it nor do I know if it'll even be done next year but I've heard it's a great way to meet new people and get drunk at once

So you can get a weekend pass at the convention center? Hmm, I might do that this year just so I can stay late at the end...

And I can vouch for the pub crawl being fun as shit, I did the one at PAX Prime this year and I had a blast.

• JerkfishJerkfish NYCRegistered User regular
    And now to ask a question of my own: this will be my first PAX since I turned 21. What new geeky/alcoholic options does this open to me?

Every year there's the Pokecrawl, a barcrawl. I've gone two years now and it's honestly one of the most exciting parts of PAX for me. The whole massive group is split into four teams and each team has different drink based challenges to complete at each bar. Of course you don't HAVE to do the challenges but it makes it all the more fun. Keep an eye out for the thread when March rolls around though because it does fill up.

• DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOC Pittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
    I asked about this a bit late last year and figured this would be a btter time to ask: I have over 2yrs experience organizing local, regional, and national tournaments for multiple game genres. Who should I contact to run, help run, or offer assistance for tournaments being held at PAX2013?

yx1i87m92tky.png

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Tournaments are run either by exhibitors or Enforcers. Best bet would be to apply to be an Enforcer should there a call for new ones this year (I'd be surprised if there wasn't one).

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    @Drogith
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Tournaments are run either by exhibitors or Enforcers. Best bet would be to apply to be an Enforcer should there a call for new ones this year (I'd be surprised if there wasn't one).
    Yes, this. Apply to be an Enforcer. I'm sure we'll need more Enforcers generally for this coming East and I know Console Tournament specifically is looking for more strong people to work with them. Pay attention to the @Official_PAX Twitter and this forum to know when the Enforcer application is available.

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOC Pittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
    @Drogith
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Yes, this. Apply to be an Enforcer. I'm sure we'll need more Enforcers generally for this coming East and I know Console Tournament specifically is looking for more strong people to work with them. Pay attention to the @Official_PAX Twitter and this forum to know when the Enforcer application is available.

Hmmm... That may create issues. i was just speaking with one of my friends who is a former associate. Though there is time when you are offshift to peruse the floors. I think that would create limited time for networking with the game companies and vendors. It's one of the primary reasons I go to PAX as it is a great opportunity to do just such. I've seen some tournaments that could have been run better in the past and just wanted to help out, but still do my normal thing.

I will, however, do as you say and maybe I'll get lucky shift-wise if hired.

yx1i87m92tky.png

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    It sounds like if you want to spend all day in Expo, you'd want the night shift (9PM-3AM). Starts after expo hall closes, but that would basically prevent you from attending any industry afterparties or late night panels.

If you want more info about Enforcer experiences, feel free to peruse this thread.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Drogith wrote: »
    I've seen some tournaments that could have been run better in the past and just wanted to help out, but still do my normal thing.

If you have any specific suggestions you could always throw them in this thread
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/166392/prime-2012-constructive-feedbacksuggestions-thread#latest
    Even if you do become an enforcer, making suggestions now could help for the planning of East, Aus, and Prime as the planing for those start way before new enforcers come on board.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • RicinRicin Registered User regular
    Any chance we can get extension of the trolleys that take people to lunch? I have yet to take those trolleys because it seems to end before anyone could grab lunch and get back.

• SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    Ricin wrote: »
    Any chance we can get extension of the trolleys that take people to lunch? I have yet to take those trolleys because it seems to end before anyone could grab lunch and get back.

That's a service provided by the BCEC, so you'd have to ask them. :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • JonoseelJonoseel Here Be Unicorns and Dragons Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Any news when the PAX East website is going to updated with countdown and dates? Also I'm not asking for exact dates but around what time will the tickets go on sale

Pax Eat Stuff: 3 Day Badges[]; BYOC Badge[]; A Roof to stay under[X]; A ride of some sort[].
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jonoseel wrote: »
    Any news when the PAX East website is going to updated with countdown and dates? Also I'm not asking for exact dates but around what time will the tickets go on sale

There's no way to tell on part 2, but last year it was in october.

As for the dates, they've already been announced. PAX East 2013 is March 22-24th, 2013.

• SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    I know not to ask when tickets are coming, but is the site going to magically spring up one day, or are we going to get an announcement of the time/date that tickets will go on sale, to be ready for them?

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    there is typically no advance notice about registration. usually there will be an announcement here and/or on twitter as soon as they go live, but not before. the most advance notice i've ever seen has been organizers who will occasionally hint on twitter that something is coming, but even that is usually just hours before reg goes up, so it's not really much notice. pax requires constant vigilance.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • SchmulkiSchmulki Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks. Time to keep refreshing twitter for the next.....couple of hours or weeks.

• RyakenRyaken Registered User regular
    When, normally, would you guys put out an open call for enforcers if it is needed. I really want to be an enforcer because I have been an attendee for two years and now I want to give back. My favorite part about PAX has always been the people and I loved the smiles on people faces from even the little things like talking to them in line, helping them figure out where to go, or just laughing about the happening of PAX itself. Any information would be wonderful. Thank you.

• jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    Ryaken wrote: »
    When, normally, would you guys put out an open call for enforcers if it is needed. I really want to be an enforcer because I have been an attendee for two years and now I want to give back. My favorite part about PAX has always been the people and I loved the smiles on people faces from even the little things like talking to them in line, helping them figure out where to go, or just laughing about the happening of PAX itself. Any information would be wonderful. Thank you.
    "The call" will probably not go out until early January, which is after badges and the closest hotels will probably be sold out. Book everything you would as a regular attendee (badge, hotel, airfare) and then apply when it goes out. If you get accepted to the Enforcers, you'll be able to get the badge you paid for refunded. Stay tuned to the Official_PAX twitter and this forum to know when applications are open.

"We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    I have a pretty random question regarding the process for acquiring a media badge: My Master's thesis (which I plan to publish next spring) is on education through gaming, con culture, and how young adults/Millennials utilize technology to enhance learning. I would really love to get a media pass in order to have a better chance to speak with exhibitors, panelists, and interview people at the convention. I will be working on behalf of the University of the Arts since this thesis will be published through the institution I am currently attending. How do I go about applying for a media badge? I would be happy to share my data/final report with the powers at be since this could be used for future research on gaming and con culture. I'm sorry to ask such a specific question on here, I'm just not sure where else to turn.

Thanks!

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
    edited September 2012
    You should probably email pax_media@paxsite.com and/or pax_questions@paxsite.com about that, as I know you don't fit under the requirements for a media badge and I'm not too sure if a media badge is even necessary for your situation. They would be the ones to tell you for sure.

whypick1 on
  • WolfieeWolfiee Web/Graphic Designer and Illustrator MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Jonoseel wrote: »

There's no way to tell on part 2, but last year it was in october.

As for the dates, they've already been announced. PAX East 2013 is March 22-24th, 2013.
    Is this definite? I know someone posted a link to the BCEC's site with those dates, but are they solid? I want to take the friday off from work as soon as possible so there is no funny business.

0CsmwYt.jpg
    Badges [ ] Hotel [ ] Complete Pixelist.net [x] Excitement [x]
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    @Wolfiee - definitely definite :)

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    edited September 2012
    I have heard people say that it is good to arrive on Thursday before PAX, as you do not miss anything and can have fun before the festivities start formally on Friday. In the past I have seen events like the Magical Mystery tour that start on Wednesday. From people's experience is it worth taking Wednesday off as well or should I come after work Thursday.

Ricin

Ricin on
    Ricin wrote: »
    I have heard people say that it is good to arrive on Thursday before PAX, as you do not miss anything and can have fun before the festivities start formally on Friday. In the past I have seen events like the Magical Mystery tour that start on Wednesday. From people's experience is it worth taking Wednesday off as well or should I come after work Thursday.

Ricin

I went from arriving late Thursday night to arriving early Thursday morning to arriving late Wednesday to arriving early Wednesday. I kept finding there was more stuff I wanted to do, so I kept arriving earlier to do so. Last east there was even a community event on Tuesday. I think it's just really up to how much time you want to take off for pax. There will probably be stuff to do.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    regarding the thursday, I have to say that even being local, going from showing up at pax friday morning to checking into the westin thursday afternoon was a world of difference. I was a lot less stressed and had so much fun at the pre-pax dinner and mezzanine gaming that I couldn't believe when I went to bed that night that pax hadn't even officially started yet. getting an early start is soooo worth it, although how early you do that is really up to you.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    Yeah arriving before Thursday night made a HUGE difference (more than going from Thursday to Wednesday) because I was SO less stressed out, like you say. I would definitely recommend everyone get there early Thursday if possible (and Wednesday isn't in the cards ;) ).

• LordBraska1999LordBraska1999 Bahston, MARegistered User regular
    And now to ask a question of my own: this will be my first PAX since I turned 21. What new geeky/alcoholic options does this open to me?

TBH alot....There are alot of great bars in boston and the surrounding areas easily accessable by both T and taxi. Cambridge (near Harvard) is an incredible place to drink and have fun with local college kids and even sometimes game creators from various companies that have their headquarters there (IE Harmonix) Near Quincy Market in Downtown there are ample "Irish" pubs and other fun spots that do nightly karaoke and other fun things. If your in the mood for clubbing and rubbing up against other people in a bar rather than at PAX, there are some really great dance clubs near Boston Common that are incredible athough every night is 10 dollar beer night, be warned now.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote: »
    regarding the thursday, I have to say that even being local, going from showing up at pax friday morning to checking into the westin thursday afternoon was a world of difference. I was a lot less stressed and had so much fun at the pre-pax dinner and mezzanine gaming that I couldn't believe when I went to bed that night that pax hadn't even officially started yet. getting an early start is soooo worth it, although how early you do that is really up to you.

I couldn't agree more, give yourself some time to unwind after checking in, grab some grub, and get ready to enjoy the Thursday night experience!

• RyakenRyaken Registered User regular
    Ryaken wrote: »
    "The call" will probably not go out until early January, which is after badges and the closest hotels will probably be sold out. Book everything you would as a regular attendee (badge, hotel, airfare) and then apply when it goes out. If you get accepted to the Enforcers, you'll be able to get the badge you paid for refunded. Stay tuned to the Official_PAX twitter and this forum to know when applications are open.

Tyvm for the response. I already have a friends place to stay at, so I'll purchase the badges I need and make sure I'm all ready to go in case I, sadly, do not get a position of Enforcer.

• GVOLTTGVOLTT Registered User new member
    I've already been to PAX East the past couple of years and am going next year, but my mind seems to have gone blank regarding this: Can you pay for badges, whenever they go on sale, using PayPal? Just wondering because of at least one other purchase I intend to make in the near future and the amount of money currently in my bank account, on top of not having a job at the moment. I can pay with or without PayPal, but using their Smart Connect service would help me out.

GVOLTT wrote: »
    I've already been to PAX East the past couple of years and am going next year, but my mind seems to have gone blank regarding this: Can you pay for badges, whenever they go on sale, using PayPal? Just wondering because of at least one other purchase I intend to make in the near future and the amount of money currently in my bank account, on top of not having a job at the moment. I can pay with or without PayPal, but using their Smart Connect service would help me out.

I don't remember PayPal ever being an option, but my memory may have holes.

I remember it being credit/debit card only.

• gljvdgljvd Registered User regular
    its credit or debit only from what i recall also.

• NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    I don't know if anyone on this thread has any power, but the 'Forums' link on east.paxsite.com needs to be updated to match the new forum setup.

edited October 2012
    NeuralLink wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone on this thread has any power, but the 'Forums' link on east.paxsite.com needs to be updated to match the new forum setup.

Yeah, we know, and no we don't have that power :) It's been communicated to the right folks. I expect it will be done today or tomorrow, but as I do not control it I won't guarantee that.

zerzhul on
  • SlyxSlyx Registered User regular
    3-day pass questions: Is there a limit on the amount of passes you can purchase? Can I purchase my own pass then if I find out someone else in my group can't make it to a computer, can I go in and purchase more?

Slyx wrote: »
    3-day pass questions: Is there a limit on the amount of passes you can purchase? Can I purchase my own pass then if I find out someone else in my group can't make it to a computer, can I go in and purchase more?

I know you can grab up to 5 (well up to now anyways), no idea if it's 5 per address or transaction or what though.

Slyx wrote: »
    The process you describe would be a second transaction. You are welcome to make as many transactions as you like. You can buy passes for your friends in this way. You can also make one transaction and buy a few passes at once (usually limit 5), but I think only one of the passes bought this way gets entered into the Omegathon drawing.

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Has there been any talk of the day pass only change starting at East '13 (or maybe Australia depending on if it's earlier than Prime), or will Prime '13 be the changeover date?

Has there been any talk of the day pass only change starting at East '13 (or maybe Australia depending on if it's earlier than Prime), or will Prime '13 be the changeover date?

As far as I know that change is for Prime 2013. I guess, though, we shall all find out together when registration goes live for East 2013 ;)

This discussion has been closed.