As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spaceship games, but mostly X

Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
x3_reunion-148446.jpg

Playing FTL over the last couple of weeks has inspired in me a sort of nostalgia-fueled space frenzy. Since that little Rogue-like graced my hard drive, I've since installed Independence War 2, Freespace 2, Nexus: The Jupiter Incident (On sale on gog.com for $3.99 currently), and have even been thinking a bit about what the hell happened to Homeworld.

Basically, this has all culminated in me once again downloading my copy of X3: Reunion via digital distribution. This is kind of an exercise in masochism if I remember correctly. The game features an 87-page manual and a complete lack of in-game tutorial. I believe the last time I had this game installed, years ago, I had a notepad sitting in my lap with multiple pages of commands, command trees and tool tips written down. The download is currently at 21%...and I'm wondering if I'm not better off just seeking out a copy of Freelancer or something (The first time I got into X3, I played for several days before realizing there was a fast-forward button).

So, what's up space people? Anyone playing X right now? Space sims in general? I'm on a huge fucking space kick right now, right down to Battlestar Galactica in my instant cue, so I want to talk some goddamned space with you people.

Edit: Also, hey. I haven't really been around much the last few years. How's it going...

Drew-B on

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    If you're playing Reunion, look for the location of some of the abandoned ships. They'll give you a decent leg up at the start.

t9migZb.jpg
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I have the latest installment of X

I love the game dearly but it DEMANDS a certain amount of time that I simply can't devote to it

I've been itching to play Star Wars Galaxies but alas its dead, along with the brilliant Jump to Lightspeed expansion which was the only reason to play the game in my opinion

space games are a massively underserved genre

eve sucks

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    someone hide this thread from tube

• Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    @Silmaril That's pretty much the one thing I remember about early game. That alone is like a 12-step process, right down to exiting your ship via your spacesuit to capture the derelict ship, plus remembering all of the commands to command said ship so it's semi-independent (assuming you go for that big cargo freighter, not that that's the only one available off the bat).

I guess that's where I'll start.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Oh no.

Drew, what have you done?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
    edited September 2012
    Oh no.

Drew, what have you done?

Sorry, I'm recently unemployed

Drew-B on
    Once you've got a couple of freighters with the trade systems installed, just fly out to the edge of Home of Light or something, and leave it on 10x speed overnight.

Loadsa money.

t9migZb.jpg
    It's so nice interacting with people online again wherein they can't like, downvote, or +1 the shit I'm saying.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I love Nexus: The Jupiter Incident so fucking much

somebody gimme a list of games like that (I have not played the X series, for the record)

Reunion is the X where all the abandoned ships are static and identical between games. Easy to find.

If you get TC or others, the easiest way to get up and running, other than picking a character with tons of crap is

1) Get a jumpdrive by doing simple combat missions
    2) With your jumpdrive, do a ton of "Seek and Destroy" missions which give stupidly high payouts for no reason, but require a jump drive
    3) Troll OTAS HQ and immediately surrounding systems for people selling their freighters on the cheap
    4) ???
    5) Profit

That will work on any character that starts with a gun.

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    It's so nice interacting with people online again wherein they can't like, downvote, or +1 the shit I'm saying.

Super hard to not click agree.

Willpower stay strong

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan

Super hard to not click agree.

Willpower stay strong

Oh shit, what? Everything be different.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I hate to point it out so late, but Terran conflict is a lot more accessible.

• ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    The guy who created Wing Commander has a new thing going on maybe? Could be interesting.

I hate to point it out so late, but Terran conflict is a lot more accessible.

it's like riding a unicycle with a 4% thicker wheel

edited September 2012
    @Hullis I just bought it today. A few missions in. I'm liking it so far, but with this kind of genre it's sometimes rough to sit down and learn all of the mechanics when I have so much other stuff in front of me. Shit was different when I was younger and not buying several games at the drop of a hat. I like to think I enjoyed and invested in games a lot more when I was buying maybe one or two every few months. Usually with games like this, I can see the 16-year-old me getting totally sucked in for weeks and months on end. Ah to have that kind of free time again. Edit: Have you tried the GalCiv games, or Sins of a Solar Empire? What about Homeworld 2?

Oh, and in case anyone is wondering, Freespace and Freespace 2 are still mad-fucking-awesome

Drew-B on
  • BogeyBogey I'm back, baby! Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
    Zandracon wrote: »
    The guy who created Wing Commander has a new thing going on maybe? Could be interesting.
    Yeah, I'm really really hyped about this!

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
    XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
    PSN: Bogestrom
    The last GalCiv expansion is pretty great

Sins is good but I found the sequel-spansion to be lacking

• BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    This thread reminded me of the I've Found Her Babylon 5 fan game and I went to check to see if, 10 years later, they were done yet and, well, no, they're not, but the prequel campaign they put out a while back was good fun.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
    Bogey wrote: »

I just signed up.

I lost so much time to Privateer.

t9migZb.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    To today's teen gamers realize that space sims used to be a thing? Do they realize they're missing out on one of the coolest genres out there?

Do they realize that once I had to call a 1-900 number to find out the solution to a specific dungeon in a Zelda game?

I miss gaming when we were all pretty much of the same generation.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    To today's teen gamers realize that space sims used to be a thing? Do they realize they're missing out on one of the coolest genres out there?

Do they realize that once I had to call a 1-900 number to find out the solution to a specific dungeon in a Zelda game?

I miss gaming when we were all pretty much of the same generation.

I can remember reading my copy of Nintendo Power (to which I was a subscriber...ladies) and finally learning what the fuck that magic whistle was for in the original Legend of Zelda.

• MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Isn't X getting a new game? Game's a bit too grindy for my tastes.

• RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    Bogey wrote: »

So hyped... original Privateer is one of my favorite games of all time. OF ALL TIME people.

Meiz wrote: »

Yes, Rebirth.

And it looks pretty. I just hope it comes out before I have to find a new job.

t9migZb.jpg
    Silmaril wrote: »

Yes, Rebirth.

Why, what's going on with your current job?

The point of X is not to grind

it's to build a fleet to grind for you

Yes, Rebirth.

I'm quitting because it sucks and I hate it.

12 working days left until I'm unemployed.

t9migZb.jpg

Yes, Rebirth.

Hope you're cozy enough to be able to do that without spring boarding to another job.

Yes, Rebirth.

Hope you're cozy enough to be able to do that without spring boarding to another job.

Its an experiment to see how long my other half's patience lasts. :)

I am please XCOM is released here on my first weekend of Freedom.

t9migZb.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I just did that. I'm 2 months unemployed at the moment. My stuff is all at my girlfriend's parents house in the Chicago suburbs where she's staying, while I'm shacked up in the spare bedroom of a woman who's pushing 40 in the city. We can't find a place together (we've lived together up until this point) until there's more financial security up in the mix and can sign a new lease. (we both left our jobs in a small city of 90,000 people to take a shot at Chicago)

Finding a job is a lot harder when you're out of college and have several years of professional work experience, ironically.

My situation really fucking sucks right now, but hey, I had to do this at some point. It's basically my big power play to end my life of arrested development that I've lived since graduating college. Mostly, though, I'm just terrified.

Drew-B on
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    The point of X is not to grind

it's to build a fleet to grind for you

I think I have 1100 hours into my X3:Reunion save. It would probably be twice that if my graphics driver didn't crash overnight while I was parked in a station.

I never even started the storyline, I don't think...

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    i really enjoy galciv2

fuck you space squirrels

also the stick figure battles crack me up

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    I have Galaxy on Fire 2 on my phone, haven't tried the PC version yet.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I tried playing X: Albion Prelude because I can only play Freespace 2 so many times in a row.

I died horribly within five minutes.

That game is not kind to new players.

IKknkhU.gif
    Weaver wrote: »
    I have Galaxy on Fire 2 on my phone, haven't tried the PC version yet.

I was set to buy it on Steam but the more I read the more I was turned off. I don't think anyone said it was bad, necessarily. Just that it's a bit hollow for a PC space sim experience, and that there are much better alternatives that you might as well play instead if you're going to be on a PC anyway.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    I just got gifted Endless Space so I'm looking forward to plowing through that. I love a good spaceship game

A few friends and I had a LAN game of Freelancer going for about 3 months. At its most popular, we had about 18 dudes playing at the same time. The meta game started getting fuckin intense

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    i couldn't penetrate any of the X games, just couldn't get into them

what was that great space RTS from like 2004? homespace? fuck. it's such a rad 4x, i wish i could remember it's name

but to me the best space game will always be Escape Velocity

reposig.jpg
  • LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i couldn't penetrate any of the X games, just couldn't get into them

what was that great space RTS from like 2004? homespace? fuck. it's such a rad 4x, i wish i could remember it's name

but to me the best space game will always be Escape Velocity

Homeworld (or Cataclysm or 2)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNQNeLDg5s

Why do I not have Homeworld 3?

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys