As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Here's a video about a terrible game I found that's about...RAW DANGER (dun dun duunn)

ScribbleScrabbleScribbleScrabble Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Artist's Corner
I made this channel with a few friends. It's pretty much the best thing ever*. Critiques appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlYaMLG0Nhw&list=UUFsTPpKDUTDjucUXf1pGVLA&index=2&feature=plcp

*results may vary.

ScribbleScrabble on

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Okay, so. I watched the whole thing.

It seems like you're trying to do a sort of Spoony/Plinkett/Extra Credits thing? And you had a lot of footage that certainly made the game look bad. But the three reviewers I mentioned at the beginning of this paragraph usually have some sort of biting, incisive, straight to the heart of the matter thing to say. They're also usually very informative, both about what's going on and why what's going on is terrible/good/whatever. I didn't get that from this review. You sort of put the cart before the horse; the game is bad -- so explain to us why it's bad, what exactly the game is about and why that sucks, and the humor will come as a result. Once you start digging in to the game, you sort of just skip around to a bunch of unconnected scenes and mutter about things.

The other thing I feel should be addressed is the use of Google Images. There's nothing wrong with a Google Image joke every once in a while. But it seems like it's relied upon pretty much constantly. By the end of the video I kind of had to wonder what, besides the sort of nonsensical commentary and bizarre opening 3 minutes, was original about this. I didn't count how many times a Google image had been copied and pasted into the video, but it happened a lot.

Basically, if a game frustrates you, explain what is happening, show us why it's frustrating and then make jokes about it.

I feel like the strong point of the video is when you tell us that there are options to be a douche in the game and it doesn't really make sense to act like that. That's good material to work with in a review. I wish you had done more than show those things happening and then put some text on the screen that reads exactly what you're saying at the time, a la "Um... pssshhhh OKAY".

If I sound harsh, I'm not trying to be. There were some parts that elicited some chuckles from me. You've got to really refine things if this is something you want to keep doing though; there are already a lot of well-established "I review bad games" people on the Internet. I'm not going to tell you that you need to do exactly what one of those people does, but it might help if you do go check them out and see what they do that would inspire you to find your own voice. The Angry Video Game Nerd (James Rolfe), Spoony, Nostalgia Critic, Yahtzee, etc. get ridiculous amounts of internet traffic for a reason -- they're good at what they do and broadly entertaining (some will argue differently but these people actually make their living off of game reviews, so they're clearly doing something right).

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Are you looking for critique or are you just posting for self promotional purposes?

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It's his first post ever and it's a new thread with a link to his stuff, but hey. I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt and tell him what I thought.

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    It's his first post ever and it's a new thread with a link to his stuff, but hey. I chose to give him the benefit of the doubt and tell him what I thought.

In this times of crisis, I cant just spulrge and give the benefit of the doubt around to any stranger. I have to agree with grifter´s accute whoring-detection senses.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    ScribbleScrabbleScribbleScrabble Registered User regular
    Okay, so. I watched the whole thing.

It seems like you're trying to do a sort of Spoony/Plinkett/Extra Credits thing?

Not trying to do anything as in-depth as that, not really going for a review aspect either. I'm just trying to make entertaining videos. However, that does not mean that I don't value the criticism. I happen to like the images that pop up, but if it will enhance the entire experience to tone it down a bit, then I will look into doing so. All this being said, it doesn't mean I don't wish to do informative videos, juts simply getting the basics down so when I do want to actually say something, I can do it right, I'm looking at you, Silent Hill series.

Like I said, though, not really meant to inform, just entertain, but if I can do both, I don't see why I shouldn't at least try to do so. Thank you for the feedback (and the benefit of the doubt).