As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spaceship games, but mostly X

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Everyone keeps talking about the X games like playing them is akin to deciphering ancient hieroglyphics. The shit ain't hard, people. The menus are dumb and there's a lot of shortcuts and stuff to learn but it took me only a few days to have a grasp on most of it.

This thread does remind me that I really enjoyed X3:TC though and I should get back into it, or perhaps start anew with Albion Prelude that came out sometime last year.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    Darmak wrote: »
    Everyone keeps talking about the X games like playing them is akin to deciphering ancient hieroglyphics. The shit ain't hard, people. The menus are dumb and there's a lot of shortcuts and stuff to learn but it took me only a few days to have a grasp on most of it.

Yeah, but these days I have a pile of something like 20 games at any given time that I haven't even played (Steam sales) looming over me, and on top of that, I don't have the time to play them because I'm not in college anymore, not to mention I live with my significant other (save these past few weeks as we're between apartments), so shit aint like it was. My gaming time is precious, so a game like X seems even more daunting than it would have when I had more free time/less responsibility. My life these past few years since graduating college has kind of been, 'go to work, get home, make some dinner, maybe watch a movie or have a beer with the misses, *maybe* game a bit, go to sleep'

Sort of mindblowing how much has changed since I signed up for these forums a decade ago.

On another note, why is it that space games seem to be the worst offenders when it comes to horribly done human faces? Dudes always look all emaciated and skeletal.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I haven't played a good space game since EV Nova

not that I've played many space games

...guess I'll toss a few on the WTB list

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Just grab Freespace 2 on gog.com. It's like, a few dollars.

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    i couldn't penetrate any of the X games, just couldn't get into them

what was that great space RTS from like 2004? homespace? fuck. it's such a rad 4x, i wish i could remember it's name

but to me the best space game will always be Escape Velocity

Homeworld (or Cataclysm or 2)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXNQNeLDg5s

Why do I not have Homeworld 3?

shit yes, homeworld was so good

also @dubh hell yeah escape velocity is the bomb diggity. i only had macs growing up so that was my primary game for years.

reposig.jpg
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    sometimes I get the hankering for another round of it, Fandy

such a good game

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    It probably doesn't count but Star Control 2 is pretty boss.

@Fishman back me up on this.

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Sins of a Solar World is a pretty solid space RTS that sadly no one I know plays any more.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Star Control 2 may be my favourite game of all time.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    The dialogue is so good.

It makes me sad I don't think we'll ever see a proper sequel.

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Druhim wrote: »
    Sins of a Solar World is a pretty solid space RTS that sadly no one I know plays any more.
    I got to play it exactly one time. It was a blast. Especially after getting the space missiles and blasting my enemies home world to dust.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    That's supposed to be Empire not World right?

I bought that and only played it once because I had no one to play it with.

it seemed pretty cool.

zkHcp.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Alright, I'm going to have a smoke and then start a fresh game of X3. We'll see how this goes.

I wish I still had my notes from last time.

I will post updates, whether you like it or not...mostly because it helps vindicate some of the time I'm throwing into this game with nothing really to show for it.

Drew-B on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Going right back to Elite.

Or Oolite.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    Reunion is the X where all the abandoned ships are static and identical between games. Easy to find.

If you get TC or others, the easiest way to get up and running, other than picking a character with tons of crap is

1) Get a jumpdrive by doing simple combat missions
    2) With your jumpdrive, do a ton of "Seek and Destroy" missions which give stupidly high payouts for no reason, but require a jump drive
    3) Troll OTAS HQ and immediately surrounding systems for people selling their freighters on the cheap
    4) ???
    5) Profit

That will work on any character that starts with a gun.

The best TC start I can think of is:

1) Get jumpdrive
    2) Grab the Advanced Barracuda free ship (M3+) and use that. You can now stand up to any M6 or less, or a Xenon swarm (can outrun them too!)
    3) Load it out with HEPT/PAC and PBE
    4) Do the terran plot and get your Vidar
    5) Load it out and get 3 million a pop combat missions to take out M7s

Do the treasure plot at some point to get the shuttle, which is by far the best tooling around the galaxy ship, rediculously fast and powerful for an M3. I usually jump my vidar in for combat missions and swap back when I'm done

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular

I'm waiting for some sort of expansion pack steam sale to catch up on expansions.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Oh, yeah I don't know why I typed World instead of Empire. I want to get Rebellion, but only when it's on sale. I can appreciate that they made it a standalone for people new to the series so they didn't have to buy the base game and all the expansions, but $40 is way too much for me to pay when I have the base game and most of the other expansions.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Alright, I just played for about 90 minutes.

I completed a patrol. That's about it.

I love games where I have no idea what I'm doing. No, really.

I docked at a couple of stations and was all, "What up, bros?" but nobody had much for me in the way of tasks or anything.

edit: I think I'm going to play through the campaign a bit. I guess you get a free jump drive fairly early on? I know I could go off and snag up the abandoned vessels and such for a quick million bucks but I think I'm going to bumble around for a while before resorting to that. If anyone has any tips, that'd be cool. Although, if you say, "You should go to X and buy Y to trade at Z" keep in mind that I still don't even have the slightest idea how trading works, re: supply/demand, etc.

Drew-B on
    Did anyone ever run into mouse issues with X3:R? The mouse control seems very odd, and there's no way to adjust sensitivity. It takes about three full swoops of the mouse to do a 180 degree turn, and on top of that, the faster I move the mouse, the less it turns my ship. E.g., a medium swipe makes about a 60 degree turn, while a fast swipe turns my ship about an inch.

I don't remember this being the case when I last played this game years ago, and I know it is not reflecting the actual turning capability of my ship (using the arrow keys to turn instead is very snappy, quick and much more accurate to what I remember the mouse feeling like. The only problem is it's incredibly hard to aim when using these instead of a mouse.

I cranked up my mouse's speed in my OS control panel to no effect.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Darmak wrote: »

Yeah, but these days I have a pile of something like 20 games at any given time that I haven't even played (Steam sales) looming over me, and on top of that, I don't have the time to play them because I'm not in college anymore, not to mention I live with my significant other (save these past few weeks as we're between apartments), so shit aint like it was. My gaming time is precious, so a game like X seems even more daunting than it would have when I had more free time/less responsibility. My life these past few years since graduating college has kind of been, 'go to work, get home, make some dinner, maybe watch a movie or have a beer with the misses, *maybe* game a bit, go to sleep'

Sort of mindblowing how much has changed since I signed up for these forums a decade ago.

Oh I totally understand not having the time or willingness to dedicate to learning all the stuff required to play. That reason alone is why I try to limit the number of games I play at the same time to a somewhat reasonable number. I was just talking about how people talk like X is impossible to learn how to play when it just takes a little time to figure out the menus and such, especially when there are so many helpful tutorials available on Youtube.

JtgVX0H.png
  • SkylarkSkylark o7 Vile Rat o7 o7 Photon Torpedo o7Registered User regular
    I have the latest installment of X
    I've been itching to play Star Wars Galaxies but alas its dead

There are a few communities that are addressing this, and that's all I can say without breaking the rules.
    eve sucks

I already used up my yearly quota of indignant, opinionated ranting about other people's taste in the Worst of Fiction thread, so I'll just say I disagree with you.
    Privateer was a great game, as were the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games, or at least some of them.

Holy shit this game is glitchy. Usually I hear about glitchy games and I just shrug it off because I never seem to hit any of the snags people rail on about, but yeah...I've lost about an hour of time thus far due to glitches alone.

• HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    I love space

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Homeworld 3 is coming.

jkZziGc.png
    There have been some hints that Relic might be working on it, but no confirmation.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2012
    I think it's safe to say we'll see a Homeworld again someday, but I didn't realize they've been hinting at it recently. I really need to read a game blog or something every once in a while.

I googled some stuff on this a few minutes ago and, oddly enough, stumbled on a Kotaku article from 2008 about Relic hinting at a new Homeworld. Great games seem to be in development for many years, so these recent hints could be in reference to the very same build for all we know. The 2008 article basically just quoted them as saying they're "Very excited" about showing the world Homeworld again, someday. Wouldn't be surprised to find out the game was in pre-production at that time.

Drew-B on
  • SoralinSoralin Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    The dialogue is so good.

It makes me sad I don't think we'll ever see a proper sequel.
    Well, the original creators have apparently expressed interest in making another one. I did see this back in April http://forum.uqm.stack.nl/index.php?topic=5222.0 , where someone emailed them about a star control kickstarter, and got this reply:
    Hi Anthony,

Fred and I have definitely talked about the Kickstarter phenomenon and, while it's super awesome to be riding the Skylanders Express Train to Mega-Hit-town, it's also driving us bonkers to know how successful a Star Control kickstarter project would be, but know that we can't pursue it simultaneously. I am literally holding my hands up in the air, clenching and unclenching my fingers in frustration... and somehow, also typing -- it's a miraculous gesture!
    So, still potentially possible, other than being currently occupied with another project. :)

• SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    There have been some hints that Relic might be working on it, but no confirmation.

I would kill.

Literally kill everyone for Homeworld 3.

t9migZb.jpg
  • RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular

You're damn right it counts. Easily one of my top 3 favourite games of all time. Like without even blinking.

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Skylark wrote: »
    I have the latest installment of X
    I've been itching to play Star Wars Galaxies but alas its dead

There are a few communities that are addressing this, and that's all I can say without breaking the rules.
    eve sucks

I already used up my yearly quota of indignant, opinionated ranting about other people's taste in the Worst of Fiction thread, so I'll just say I disagree with you.
    Privateer was a great game, as were the X-Wing and Tie Fighter games, or at least some of them.

both the Xwing, Tie fighter, and then the X-wing Vs. tie fighter games were the best I played, combat-wise. I tried XvsT some years ago, but it was too old already. The X Terran Conflict game is also amazing, but I could never really control it, I get a couple of missions done, but then I take some damage, and I can never get the cash to repair, my ship goes slow, so I get killed or bored...

It pisses me off to no end, because I SEE what the game has, and I love it with all my heart, and I want to test everything in it, but I fall asleep playing it.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
    Man this really made me wanna play X-wing Vs Tie Fighter:

http://youtu.be/-tBM2ZfncoU

• TheidarTheidar Registered User regular

You're damn right it counts. Easily one offset my top 3 favourite games of all time. Like without even blinking.

Definitely, Star Control 2 is insanely good.

WE COME IN PEACE.

Gamertag: Theidar
    Wii Friend Code: 0072 4984 2399 2126
    PSN ID : Theidar
    Facebook
    Behold the annhilation of the extraterrestrial and the rise of the machines.
    Hail Satan!
    WISHLIST
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I played the hell out of Tie Fighter

I also played X-Wing Alliance a ton

Couldn't get into the original X-Wing

and I never had a computer (at the time) to run XWvTF (or internet to play it)

• BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »

holy fucking shit, if that's a one-man job it's one of the most impressive I've ever seen

he's not even rotoscoping the ships - pretty much every frame of that has a perspective shift that would require him to re-draw every frame

I love the Melnorme best myself.

Though all the races are good.

But especially the blobbies.

• RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    I still hold out hope for one day, being involved in a Star Wars dogfight of the size and scope of Return of the Jedi. Either real or virtual. Whatever works.

Man I loves me some Xwing and Tie Fighter.

It looks incredible too.

Apparently from the youtube comments the dude posted it on 4chan /m/

Which it's obviously got a macross vibe going.

but man I kinda have a distant hope lucasfilm options him to make an animated series.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Uriel wrote: »

holy fucking shit, if that's a one-man job it's one of the most impressive I've ever seen

he's not even rotoscoping the ships - pretty much every frame of that has a perspective shift that would require him to re-draw every frame

Empire

Fuck yeah.