As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[iPhone/iPod/iPad] Thread - When this thread started phones had headphone jacks

minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying fieldnjRegistered User regular
This thread is for discussing all of our wonderful little iDevices. Let's chit chat about new hardware, new software updates, cases, styluses, screen protectors, docks, speakers, etc.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
minor incident on

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    elevature wrote: »
    I know what you're saying, but if both were available, that would do no good. The purpose is to get people using the new app and collect usage data and take in their bug reports. If they just left the old app around, that would minimize the number of people actually using the new one.

That's just it. It won't get more polished until everyone starts using it. Just like Gmaps started getting phenomenally better after 2007 when iPhones and Android phones started shipping with it.

But it's so bad that people aren't going to use it. I'm not. If I can't trust it to give me the right directions, I'm not using it. I'll use the browser version of Google Maps until they release an app.

I sincerely doubt that most people aren't using it. My entire family is fucking bananas over the turn-by-turn stuff, as a small-sample-size counterpoint.

True, I forget about turn by turn because I don't drive. I walk, bike, and take transit, and Apple maps is pretty useless for me.

It's a pretty clear case of not being able to please everybody. I drive a lot for work, and for far turn-by-turn has proven immensely useful for me (and aside from being about one block off one time, the directions have been nearly perfect so far). At the moment, I'd absolutely take the new app in its current state over the old Google-backed maps app without turn-by-turn. Obviously that's not true for everyone, and I'm not trying to claim it is, just that it's the first step in a long process that has to be taken at some point, otherwise it's just another year of further lagging behind what Google allows Maps on Android to do, while losing another year of real user-feedback on their own app.

Most people I know use the directions for cars secondary. Public transit is a huge fricking deal.

Like, that is not an excuse.

I live in the NJ/NYC metro area and spend a fair amount of time in Boston. I use public transit directions all the time. Just not Google's. Even Google Maps was shitty for transit directions compared to specialized apps like iTrans or Embark. I mean, you can't even see individual train lines, and bus directions are even worse. It's okay in a pinch, but if you live somewhere with public transit, it'd be silly to not have a local transit app.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I know what you're saying, but if both were available, that would do no good. The purpose is to get people using the new app and collect usage data and take in their bug reports. If they just left the old app around, that would minimize the number of people actually using the new one.

That's just it. It won't get more polished until everyone starts using it. Just like Gmaps started getting phenomenally better after 2007 when iPhones and Android phones started shipping with it.

But it's so bad that people aren't going to use it. I'm not. If I can't trust it to give me the right directions, I'm not using it. I'll use the browser version of Google Maps until they release an app.

I sincerely doubt that most people aren't using it. My entire family is fucking bananas over the turn-by-turn stuff, as a small-sample-size counterpoint.

True, I forget about turn by turn because I don't drive. I walk, bike, and take transit, and Apple maps is pretty useless for me.

It's a pretty clear case of not being able to please everybody. I drive a lot for work, and for far turn-by-turn has proven immensely useful for me (and aside from being about one block off one time, the directions have been nearly perfect so far). At the moment, I'd absolutely take the new app in its current state over the old Google-backed maps app without turn-by-turn. Obviously that's not true for everyone, and I'm not trying to claim it is, just that it's the first step in a long process that has to be taken at some point, otherwise it's just another year of further lagging behind what Google allows Maps on Android to do, while losing another year of real user-feedback on their own app.

Most people I know use the directions for cars secondary. Public transit is a huge fricking deal.

I live in the NJ/NYC metro area and spend a fair amount of time in Boston. I use public transit directions all the time. Just not Google's. Even Google Maps was shitty for transit directions compared to specialized apps like iTrans or Embark. I mean, you can't even see individual train lines, and bus directions are even worse. It's okay in a pinch, but if you live somewhere with public transit, it'd be silly to not have a local transit app.

Crossposting this over to the new thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/167550/iphoneipodipad-thread-the-headphone-jack-is-going-to-be-on-the-bottom-pow

That is not the fault of google maps.

Google just had a template that any public transport company could fill in and their transport data would be integrated into maps. That's purely an issue of your transport providers.

Isn't that what Apple is doing now?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

Crossposting this over to the new thread: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/167550/iphoneipodipad-thread-the-headphone-jack-is-going-to-be-on-the-bottom-pow

Google just had a template that any public transport company could fill in and their transport data would be integrated into maps. That's purely an issue of your transport providers.

See, that's my issue with this. Google's transit stuff was shitty. No way around that. They didn't have maps of subway lines, their bus stops were often inaccurate, and directions were shoddy, often having you swap between busses and trains where no sane commuter would do so.

Local transit apps are MUCH better about all this stuff. That's why I don't think it's a big deal that Apple doesn't _try_ to include them. They'd probably suck at it. Meeting the needs of MTA commuters in NYC/NJ is totally different from building an app for BART travelers in California. This is a situation where specialized apps are the way to go.

• GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I will agree with that to a point, though working in technology, it wouldn't be difficulty to come up with a common web service standard that would allow a single app to communicate with any transit authority in the country using the same language, because basically all transit authorities ask the same basic set of questions about the same basic set of objects.

The problem is that no one likes to use the other guys idea, so we have local apps....I use PDX Bus myself in the Portland area.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    I will agree with that to a point, though working in technology, it wouldn't be difficulty to come up with a common web service standard that would allow a single app to communicate with any transit authority in the country using the same language, because basically all transit authorities ask the same basic set of questions about the same basic set of objects.

The problem is that no one likes to use the other guys idea, so we have local apps....I use PDX Bus myself in the Portland area.

Exactly, yeah. And my god, getting all the transit operators in the country to do anything the same way would be an wonderful exercise in futility.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

See, that's my issue with this. Google's transit stuff was shitty. No way around that. They didn't have maps of subway lines, their bus stops were often inaccurate, and directions were shoddy, often having you swap between busses and trains where no sane commuter would do so.

Local transit apps are MUCH better about all this stuff. That's why I don't think it's a big deal that Apple doesn't _try_ to include them. They'd probably suck at it. Meeting the needs of MTA commuters in NYC/NJ is totally different from building an app for BART travelers in California. This is a situation where specialized apps are the way to go.

It's not shitty. That's purely from your local transit authority not using the service correctly. When the data is there it works fucking perfectly and I do not want to be without it.

Apple's competitive solution is shit. Their solution is use another goddamn app. Google maps would give you turn by turn instructions down to leaving now of arrive by times.

And for the record. I have never said the apples data set for maps is unacceptable. I would like it to be better obviously but I am ok with it. What I am not ok with is a reduction in a feature list.

edited September 2012
    If that's the case, then I don't think ANY local transit authority is "using the service correctly." Or at least, every major metro area I've ever visited, from New York, to Boston, to Houston, to San Francisco, to London, to Paris.

If a public transit app doesn't have full train map routes (and, ideally, bus line routes) and the ability to limit your route to only busses or only trains, it's shit. I've never seen route info or train tunnel maps in Gmaps for ANY city. Ever. Only little blue dots indicating stations. In NYC, for example, it would often have you going out of the subway to go find a goddamn bus that never fucking runs, rather than just taking another train that's a block farther away. Google may have had directions, but without these things, that's barely half of a decent app.

That's like a turn-by-turn GPS that doesn't actually include any street maps. It just tells you when and where to turn. And maybe it shows you an intersection here and there.

It's shit. I'm sorry it's shit, but it is. Shit.
    Shit.

Edit: Now, I'd totally understand if you were pissed about their iffy data set, like @GnomeTank. That makes sense, because it IS iffy and incomplete, and not yet totally accurate. But being this upset over losing shitty transit directions when there are dozens of apps that do it dramatically better that even Gmaps ever did for a couple bucks just strikes me as weird, especially when the tradeoff is great turn-by-turn directions, which is actually a feature Apple WAS lagging behind Google on.

Edit 2: Seriously, go download Embark or something for your city. If you've gotten by this long on Gmaps, you don't know what you're missing.

minor incident on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Why do you need the tunnel mapping if its plotting the route for you? It tells you the stop, you get off at the stop.

I didn't use it in NYC because the map system is clear enough to not need it but it worked fine when we were in Boston a month and took us exactly where we needed to go.

Every major city in Australia now has google maps fully integrated in with bus and train services.. Ive never had a bad experience with it unless the data hasnt been uploaded by the transit authority. And I know plenty of friends in Europe who also fully rely on it.

I really don't know what to tell you other than you are using it in places that don't support it well.

Lets put it this way.

If you drop a pin in google maps. And you ask it for directions to this place. And you can specify the arrive by or leave by time. And it will tell you where to walk to, what platform number, what bus or train number to catch (and what time it arrives) and the stop to get off, (also with a time) and then how far you need to walk. (Along with a blue GPS dot telling you where you are at any time) would you be happy?

Because that is exactly what it can do.

It's why so many people are upset by the loss of that feature. If you don't use it, that doesn't matter sure. But a lot of people do. I know people who travelled Europe this way. It's why a lot of cities lobby their transit authorities to invest in it. Its great!

By that logic, why do you need street maps when you can get turn-by-turn directions? That's just silly. A lot of the times, especially in cities like NYC and London with complex train routes, it's a lot easier to plot your own route based on the maps and locations of your destinations, especially if you have a couple of stops in mind. When I'm in NYC, a lot of my travel is based more on "what's close to the blue line that we can stop at on the way back to the bus station?" or "what restaurant is along the yellow line that we can hit before the show?" Being able to read an actual map is useful less linear planning.

Maybe I'm weird, but I grew up reading paper maps.

Also, who knows, maybe Australia is a Google Maps Transit wonderland.

Lets put it this way.

If you drop a pin in google maps. And you ask it for directions to this place. And you can specify the arrive by or leave by time. And it will tell you where to walk to, what platform number, what bus or train number to catch (and what time it arrives) and the stop to get off, (also with a time) and then how far you need to walk. (Along with a blue GPS dot telling you where you are at any time) would you be happy?

Because that is exactly what it can do.

Personally, no. Unless I can exclude busses, or particular lines, and get a map of the subway system. It's great that it works really well for you (seriously, I'm actually not being sarcastic), but it's not so great here. Especially in NYC, as I've mentioned. Also, in lots of cities like Chicago (and, I think, Portland), there are local transit apps that give you detailed info, like GPS bus tracking and notifications of closed/changed routes (a BIG issue in NYC where every weekend at least 3 or 4 trains are closed or rerouted) with automatic compensation on your route. That's the sort of stuff Google doesn't get. At least not here.

And my point is, when its correctly set up it is quite literally a transit wonderland. Which means it should be blatantly obvious why leaving it out is such a big deal.

I know that's its fully integrated into seattles public transit too.

edited September 2012
    Okay, I understand your position on this a bit better now, I think. But if Apple tried to do that sans-Google, they'd be horrid. Especially considering it took Google years and it's only _good_ in a handful of places. Which is my point: If they're going to ditch Google (and whether they should have or not is a whole other debate), the better customer experience is to just send people towards good, local third party apps with better hooks into local transit systems, rather than do a shitty implementation on their own.

minor incident on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I had no idea embark was a thing until iOS6.

I really wish I had known about it sooner. It is pretty damn awesome. And soooo much better at using the NYC public transit stuff than google is.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited September 2012
    syndalis wrote: »
    I had no idea embark was a thing until iOS6.

I really wish I had known about it sooner. It is pretty damn awesome. And soooo much better at using the NYC public transit stuff than google is.

Embark is fucking rad.

Since this is a big sticking point for a lot of people, I'm going to list a bunch of the best local transit apps for various cities in the OP tomorrow. Embark covers a bunch, but if anyone from other cities has any favorites, please chime in. A nice, forumer-recommended list will be super handy for iOS 6 newbies.

minor incident on
    Saying a small amount of places is incorrect though. Even internationally transit maps are pretty common.

Well, I think our main difference is that we have different standards for what makes a transit app good. And that's okay because we're both still special snowflakes.

Also, it's hard to stay civil with you because I read every word you type in a Dalek voice.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Embark is good and all, I agree, but I've never had a problem with Google maps transit directions for the most part. Like, I've used them a tonnn in NYC, and used them a bit in Tokyo and Boston. And even to go to Long Island or NJ or upstate NY.

Usually any weirdness with transferring to busses or whatever could be avoided by seeing the multiple route options and picking one that looked best (since it usually picked whichever left the soonest first).

(@syndalis an old standby of hopstop - their recent app is really good actually!, at least for NYC, and covers a few major US cities. Apple still needs to fix the addresses in NYC though, but luckily hopstop has pulldown options for boroughs so even though apple maps is f'd up there, it works fine!)

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
    oops @minor incident is who i meant to batsignal

poo
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    What about the plug in the botton? huh?

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    What about the plug in the botton? huh?

5 seconds in:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=relmfu&v=nf5-Prx19ZM

Someone needs to get me a captioned animated gif of this dude.

edited September 2012
    Embark is good and all, I agree, but I've never had a problem with Google maps transit directions for the most part. Like, I've used them a tonnn in NYC, and used them a bit in Tokyo and Boston. And even to go to Long Island or NJ or upstate NY.

Usually any weirdness with transferring to busses or whatever could be avoided by seeing the multiple route options and picking one that looked best (since it usually picked whichever left the soonest first).

(@syndalis an old standby of hopstop - their recent app is really good actually!, at least for NYC, and covers a few major US cities. Apple still needs to fix the addresses in NYC though, but luckily hopstop has pulldown options for boroughs so even though apple maps is f'd up there, it works fine!)

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding how a lot of people use transit maps/directions. I, and a lot of the people I know, prefer a map-like approach rather than "turn-by-turn" for transit directions, at least in NYC. That's why I really can't abide a transit direction app that doesn't include an actual map that includes train routes an bus lines and such. For me, I got by happily for years with a simple hi-res JPG on my phone of the NYC subway map.

Apparently more people that I thought just prefer the point-A-to-point-B approach, which is cool. I apologize for projecting my own opinions so much, but I still firmly believe that in most (US, at least) cities, there are cheap local transit apps that are better all around than Gmaps ever was.

minor incident on
    i pretty much supplemented google maps with exit strategy / nextstop

poo
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Ugh, just got screen garbage flicker while looking at an app in the app store.

Originally, I was thinking that the shaking was no biggie, but this sounds like something important is loose and I'm none to happy about that.

Guess I'm scheduling a genius bar visit tomorrow.

• centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    You're within 15 days, you should be able to just exchange it, right?

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I'm trying to use Siri on my iPad with iOS6. Some of it works really well but other times I have exchanges like this:
    Me:Remind me to call John Doe at 9 AM tomorrow morning

Siri:I don't see John Doe in your contacts did you mean John Rogers?

Me:No, I mean John Doe.

Siri:I don't see John Doe in your contacts did you mean John Rogers?

So i guess i can only do ohone reminders for my contacts? She also won't lookup phone numbers for me since it isn't an iPhone. Work in progress I guess- I can't be too hard on it- a computer is understanding my voice. This is the future 11 year old me dreamed of- minus hover boards.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    The transit directions for Google Maps was good enough, but after looking at Embark which lets me see the routes I'm taking and also shows each stop between my current location and my destination there is a lot less chance of me getting lost. Giving me extra knowledge of the route lets me make better decisions when something happens that the app can't help me with. I have gotten off of a train too early, at times because I wasn't sure about the route Google Maps was giving me.

edited September 2012
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The transit directions for Google Maps was good enough, but after looking at Embark which lets me see the routes I'm taking and also shows each stop between my current location and my destination there is a lot less chance of me getting lost. Giving me extra knowledge of the route lets me make better decisions when something happens that the app can't help me with. I have gotten off of a train too early, at times because I wasn't sure about the route Google Maps was giving me.

Exactly this. Also, there's the MTA's habit of randomly turning the train you're on from a local to an express with no warning. Having a better map of your route and all the stations helps to keep that from being a disaster.

minor incident on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

I've got AppleCare - they'll fix it, I'm sure.

They've replaced my 4 for less.

Imperfect wrote: »

I've got AppleCare - they'll fix it, I'm sure.

They've replaced my 4 for less.

Yeah, they absolutely will. Since you're within the return period they'll most likely just swap it for a brand new one.

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »

I'll admit that third party apps do provide better transit directions. I'm using an app called Transit now and it's great, but I like how Google Maps also incorporates walking to/from stops when giving a route. So if I plan a trip somewhere, and my destination is 20 minutes from the nearest bus stop, which can happen at the edges of the city, it'll include that 20 minutes as well as the 5 minute walk from my house to the subway into the trip. So if the actual time on transit is 30 minutes, Google gives me a total time of 55 minutes. Transit would give me 30 minutes, as far as I'm aware. Which is a pretty big difference. If it's somewhere I've been and I know how far my destination is from the bus stop that's no big deal, but if it's somewhere new and I'm not expecting that, I'd be pretty upset.

• IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    So like anyone that wants to use Google map data can just use http://maps.google.com right? So this IO6 Maps hubbub is a bit over blown right?

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    As long as the web-site has all the features of and works as well as the native-app version, sure.

Pretty sure that's not the case though, but I'm up for being shown I'm wrong.

Are you asking because Tim Cook told us all that that's what we could do if we wanted to keep whining? (mostly tounge-in-cheek, but there was a little twinge of "fuck right off, whiners" in this one, but not nearly as much as in the antenna-gate open-letter)

• elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »
    So like anyone that wants to use Google map data can just use http://maps.google.com right? So this IO6 Maps hubbub is a bit over blown right?

Yes, but it's pretty slow and clunky, and doesn't have street view. So it's not ideal, but still better than Apple maps.

Incindium wrote: »

Yes, but it's pretty slow and clunky, and doesn't have street view. So it's not ideal, but still better than Apple maps.

It will have Street View shortly, according to Google.

• InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    As long as the web-site has all the features of and works as well as the native-app version, sure.

Pretty sure that's not the case though, but I'm up for being shown I'm wrong.

Are you asking because Tim Cook told us all that that's what we could do if we wanted to keep whining? (mostly tounge-in-cheek, but there was a little twinge of "fuck right off, whiners" in this one, but not nearly as much as in the antenna-gate open-letter)

Wait, what? The statement I read was him apologizing and admitting they totally botched the launch. How is that a "fuck right off, whiners" in any sense?

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, I think you have to be pretty cynical to think Tim Cook was telling anyone to fuck off. I guess that's the cynical world we live in. The statement sounded genuine to me, and I thought the recommendations of competing products was a nice touch.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Yeah, I think you have to be pretty cynical to think Tim Cook was telling anyone to fuck off. I guess that's the cynical world we live in. The statement sounded genuine to me, and I thought the recommendations of competing products was a nice touch.

I thought it was well-handled. The few times I ever met Tim in work settings, he always came across as a very genuine, snark-free guy. I'd be perfectly willing to take what he says on this matter at face value.

• iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    The statement I read was him saying "sorry we made the decision to go through with what we figured would be a botched Maps launch, but you know how much we hate those pricks at Google; guess you'll have to deal with it, won't you? Or I guess you could use these mapping apps, or go use these websites that I hear have maps on them."

I think what I'm getting a bit bored with is people/Apple acting like it's a surprise that Apple's mapping data is pretty shitty in its current form. It's not a surprise. They got rid of a mature data-set with some issues and replaced it with a younger, incomplete data-set with a lot of issues. Surprise, there are problems. No way did Apple not expect this, so saying "sorry" about it is a little confusing/frustrating.

[ed] So wait, we are going with "Apple didn't know the data they switched to was gonna suck this bad?" I dunno... for a company that wants me to think they're all about the details I find that tough to believe.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited September 2012
    Sure they expected it. Any of us who knew it was coming expected it...but I don't think many of us expected how comically bad it would be in some cases.

The backlash has been mostly from people who don't follow the tech news, and didn't know it was coming, and people like me who knew it was coming, but didn't think it would be the comedy of errors it's been.

e: I also think you're letting your emotions taint your perspective a bit iTunes. You want to be mad, rightly so, so you're just assuming Tim Cook is being a prick. I was pretty mad a few days ago too, so I get it...but I think if you come back and read that statement in a week, you'll soften on it.

GnomeTank on