As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gamecube, Wii and my HDTVs

reddogreddog The MountainBrooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Well you guys have always been more than helpful in the past with problems so I'm turning to you guys again for help!

Finally after years of having regular SDTVs in my apartment, my wife and I upgraded to two sexy HDTV flat screens (one Samsung and one Insignia). Gaming on my 360 now is so amazing I don't know why I waited so long...oh yeah...there was that wedding I had to save for. LOL.

Anyways, both the Wii and the Gamecube have the AV cords/plugs (red/white/yellow plugs). Both worked on my old SDTVs with no problems. I plugged the Gamecube in the Insignia and the Wii in the Samsung using the AV plugs. They turn on, I can hear the disk whirring but the screen says NO SIGNAL. Swapped them and I still get the NO SIGNAL.

Now, I know that the plugs work cause before I got an HDMI cable for my 360, I plugged into the TVs with the Xbox component cable (red,yellow,white,green,blue) and it worked fine.

Does this mean I need to get component cables for both my Gamecube and Wii to work?!?

reddog.png
reddog on

• Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    From the Is It Plugged In? file, are you switching the TV to the appropriate input selection?

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    My TV requires me to be at the setting (HDMI1/HDMI2/DVI/SVIDEO/COMP1/COMP2/VGA) before it powers that connection. My 360 won't turn on unless I have my TV set to HDMI2 so its powering the HDMI connection and the xbox can "see" that its hooked up.

• Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Also, if you're plugging in to component cable plugs (which should be red/white audio, red/green/blue video), try moving the yellow video cable between the three potential video inputs. I always get confused as to which is the right plug when I'm using composite.

On the other hand, you can get component cables that work for various different consoles for fairly cheap. Certainly there's one readily available for the Wii, and it shouldn't be that bad to get one of those, or at least an S-Video cable, for the Gamecube (and the SNES and the N64, because both of them used the same connection the GameCube does) either. Your picture will be much better with one of those too (yes, even though they're not HD consoles). Naturally, figuring out how to actually get things working with your current setup is free and a better idea right now.

• Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    From the Is It Plugged In? file, are you switching the TV to the appropriate input selection?

I think that's a given considering I've played my 360 through the AV & HDMI inputs.

reddog.png
  • Options
    shutzshutz Registered User regular
    The component cable for Gamecube is kind of rare and hard to find. But since you can play practically all Gamecube games on the Wii, you probably don't need to use the Gamecube at all (unless you're using the Gameboy Player or the Broadband adapter -- I can't think of anything else that wouldn't work on the Wii: it has all the controller ports and memory card slots the GC has.)

Creativity begets criticism.
    Check out my new blog: http://50wordstories.ca
    Also check out my old game design blog: http://stealmygamedesigns.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Essee wrote: »
    Also, if you're plugging in to component cable plugs (which should be red/white audio, red/green/blue video), try moving the yellow video cable between the three potential video inputs. I always get confused as to which is the right plug when I'm using composite.

On the other hand, you can get component cables that work for various different consoles for fairly cheap. Certainly there's one readily available for the Wii, and it shouldn't be that bad to get one of those, or at least an S-Video cable, for the Gamecube (and the SNES and the N64, because both of them used the same connection the GameCube does) either. Your picture will be much better with one of those too (yes, even though they're not HD consoles). Naturally, figuring out how to actually get things working with your current setup is free and a better idea right now.

I'll try moving the video cable between the other three inputs as well as try out setting the tv to the input before turning the consoles on. Fingers crossed!

reddog.png
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    What are the exact models of the TVs?
    "Now, I know that the plugs work cause before I got an HDMI cable for my 360, I plugged into the TVs with the Xbox component cable (red,yellow,white,green,blue) and it worked fine."

That doesn't describe a component input to me. A standard component input bank will have red, green, and blue for video, and white and another red for audio.

Composite inputs, which would ordinarily be in a completely separate bank on the back of the TV and require a separate input selection via the TV menu, are red, white, and yellow (or sometimes black). If you're trying to plug composite cables into a component bank, you're not going to get very far.

yurnamehere on
  • Options
    Jebus314Jebus314 Registered User regular
    "Now, I know that the plugs work cause before I got an HDMI cable for my 360, I plugged into the TVs with the Xbox component cable (red,yellow,white,green,blue) and it worked fine."

That doesn't describe a component input to me. A standard component input bank will have red, green, and blue for video, and white and another red for audio.

Composite inputs, which would ordinarily be in a completely separate bank on the back of the TV and require a separate input selection via the TV menu, are red, white, and yellow (or sometimes black). If you're trying to plug composite cables into a component bank, you're not going to get very far.

I think some inputs actually can handle both. Where to save space they made 1 component input capable of handling composite (the yellow video from composite goes into one of the component video inputs, as specified). It's going to be model specific though, so we would have to know the OP's tv to be sure. Also, on the back of the tv (if it has this capability) the component input will usually indicate which video input doubles as the composite input.

"The world is a mess, and I just need to rule it" - Dr Horrible
  • Options
    EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Jebus314 wrote: »

I think some inputs actually can handle both. Where to save space they made 1 component input capable of handling composite (the yellow video from composite goes into one of the component video inputs, as specified). It's going to be model specific though, so we would have to know the OP's tv to be sure. Also, on the back of the tv (if it has this capability) the component input will usually indicate which video input doubles as the composite input.

Correct, as in my case. But either way I'd be shocked if any component ports were yellow! I'm guessing the OP was slightly mistaken or their TV is weird.

Essee on
  • Options
    Well I got home plugged in the red and whites in their respective colors. Tried yellow with yellow and nothing butthen I put the yellow in with the green and bam it worked!

No idea why...but dont care. Thanks guys!

reddog.png