As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spaceship games, but mostly X

• Options
    FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    am I the onlyone fantasizing about flying a Tie interceptor again, and crushing all rebels in their stupid, cumbersome-but-shielded x-wings ?

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    ...yeah

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I like the Y wing.

Flies like a brick shed.

But it's damned reliable.

• Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    FANTOMAS wrote: »
    am I the onlyone fantasizing about flying a Tie interceptor again, and crushing all rebels in their stupid, cumbersome-but-shielded x-wings ?

Interceptors are always the cheat code in every Star Wars game. They are just so fucking good at fighter combat.

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    LTM wrote: »

Interceptors are always the cheat code in every Star Wars game. They are just so fucking good at fighter combat.

The Tie/In is what disillusioned me on the prospect of XWvTF being fun

because when the first time I ever fired up X-Wing Alliance online, it turned out to just be 7 dudes flying in a perfect circle at 70% throttle in an interceptor until someone lagged into a line of fire

Jasconius on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »

The Tie/In is what disillusioned me on the prospect of XWvTF being fun

because when the first time I ever fired up X-Wing Alliance online, it turned out to just be 7 dudes flying in a perfect circle at 70% throttle in an interceptor until someone lagged into a line of fire

pvp multiplayer in these kinds of games always seemed problematic

there's one optimal strategy that you use in pretty much every dogfight, and everyone else knows it too, so you all just do that constantly

• Options
    I haven't ever played anything SW online, thank god.

The game I played most was the Rebllion RTS. Was so insanely unbalanced in favor of the Empire it was silly.

• Options
    I haven't ever played anything SW online, thank god.

The game I played most was the Rebllion RTS. Was so insanely unbalanced in favor of the Empire it was silly.

Star Wars Rebellion?

I disagree

The Alliance has huge early game advantages if you know how to work your agents

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular

The Interceptor was far and away my favorite thing to fly in TIE Fighter; I wasn't really much of a fan of the higher-end stuff (and the Defender was just silly).

• Options
    Homeworld (or Cataclysm or 2)?

Cataclysm doesn't get nearly enough love. Sure, zombies-in-spaaaace for the most part, but the missile-armed Acolytes were pretty much my favorite RTS unit ever. Made carriers feel like, well, carriers, instead of big-gunships-that-happen-to-launch-annoying-gnats.

(I might be a sucker for Pacific War-esque torpedo runs in wargames.)

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cataclysm was fucking awesome.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Dammit.

Now I need to find my homeworld discs.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    The engine/cockpit noise was great, you really got the impression that you were sitting in an airless coffin screaming around at god only knows how fast velocities with nothing between you and certain death but some giant view occluding fins, superior speed and a few inches of plate steel.

Man I miss playing that game.

• Options
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »

The Interceptor was far and away my favorite thing to fly in TIE Fighter; I wasn't really much of a fan of the higher-end stuff (and the Defender was just silly).

the CD-ROM version of the game included some pretty ridiculous crap

like a high speed missile boat that had something like 60 torpedos on it

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    All you gentlemen who loved Homeworld as much as I did certainly know the score.

I truly hope Relic has it in production, but I have my doubts given THQ's financial situation.

LuvTheMonkey on
    Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    SilmarilSilmaril Mr Ha Ha Hapless. Registered User regular
    Everything’s gone...Kharak is burning is probably one of the most powerful things I've ever seen in a video game.

t9migZb.jpg
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    No love for the Elite-style games?

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    People have been talking about THQs financial situation for something like a year. What the hell is going on over there? I'm not going to pretend I understand the business of game development, but it boggles my mind that they're struggling so hard when they have/had a ton of massive franchises.

• Options
    the CD-ROM version of the game included some pretty ridiculous crap

like a high speed missile boat that had something like 60 torpedos on it

I had one of the older versions of the game and mainly just tried to pretend the missile boat never existed.

• Options
    those regular missile boat missions were the worst

although I commend any Star Wars game that tries to do something other than rehash what was on the big screen over and over and over again

therefore I only commend Star Wars games that came out prior to, oh, about 2002 or 3

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    People have been talking about THQs financial situation for something like a year. What the hell is going on over there? I'm not going to pretend I understand the business of game development, but it boggles my mind that they're struggling so hard when they have/had a ton of massive franchises.

I'm guessing their overhead costs are INSANE. I saw some headlines a couple months ago where a THQ guy said that the break-even point for WH40k: Space Marine was 2 MILLION sales.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

although I commend any Star Wars game that tries to do something other than rehash what was on the big screen over and over and over again

therefore I only commend Star Wars games that came out prior to, oh, about 2002 or 3

Empire at War was like Rebellion except playable

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Hullis wrote: »

Empire at War was like Rebellion except playable

faaaaaaaalse

Empire at War was like Force Commander and Battlefront except (arguably) playable

Rebellion is essentially a TCG or board game with Star Wars pieces in it, with incidental and badly conceived space combat that could have been left out

A more appropriate homage to it would have been closer to GalCiv

which is actually what I have been working on the past month in my spare time

EaW gets an A for effort but is not an acceptable substitute for Rebellion

Jasconius on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    EaW had all the piece moving of Rebellion and the combat of Force Commander

but was a vast improvement on both products

• Options
    edited September 2012
    except it has way fewer pieces, no diplomacy, and turned agents (the best feature of Rebellion) into nothing more than an elite RTS unit

It's Force Commander with a forgettable macro-management component

It's the best RTS they put out, but that's not exactly saying much

Jasconius on
  • Options
    Yeah, I could never get into EaW, most for what Jasc said about the named/agent/elites being kinda boring.

I played Rebellion a lot like the board game Diplomacy. I tried to avoid ship combat unless I vastly overpowered the enemy, and stuck to agents and invasion.

Vader usually ended up being unstoppable by the end of my games, and he didn't have to disappear to go train with Yoda like Luke.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Moon Breakers is a neat little space dogfighting F2P game on Steam. It doesn't have a whole lot of depth, but it's fun to just jump into some of the starter ships and pvp for a bit.

• Options
    I want a REAL spaceship.

Also I really Like Sword of the Stars 1.

It's a 4x spacegame with slightly easier mechanics and a decent interface!

• Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    Did anyone play Star Trek: Bridge Commander back in the day? I remember it getting decent scores.

• Options
    I still wanna play this:

http://www.artemis.eochu.com/

• Options
    Actually did try the demo.

Being a Space Captain is fucking AWESOME.

• Options
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Did anyone play Star Trek: Bridge Commander back in the day? I remember it getting decent scores.

I vaguely remember that

it also reminds me of possibly the best but also nerdiest thing ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq5M4mboDVM&feature=player_embedded

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2010/11/artemis-spaceship-bridge/
    It’s amateur hour on the bridge of the HMSS Wired. We’re careening toward an interstellar minefield at warp 3, our chief engineer has accidentally diverted all the energy to the photon torpedoes so we’ve got no power for the main viewscreen, and our science officer has popped off to the loo just as we pass through an unexplored nebula that could be full of enemy cruisers. It’s not going well.

We’re playing Artemis: Spaceship Bridge Simulator, an independently developed videogame that asks you to assemble a crew of between three and six people and defend a sector of space from attack by alien hordes. It’s a whole lot like being on the bridge of the starship Enterprise, but without any of the thorny intellectual property issues that would cause.

Each player is assigned a role — helmsman, weapons, communications, engineering or science — and equipped with a laptop. Everyone except the captain, that is, who instead dishes out orders to the rest of the crew. Orders like, “Set a bearing of 320 degrees, warp 3. Engage” or “Open a channel to the enemy vessel; ask them to surrender.” If that doesn’t get you even a little bit excited, then Artemis really isn’t for you. This is geekery of the highest order, but it’s a whole heap of fun.

None of the jobs is particularly difficult, but the trick comes in getting people to successfully communicate. It’s about giving each person a few, fairly specialized tasks, and it’s crucial that none of them messes up. Artemis is actually a game about social interaction — about getting five of your friends in a room and asking them to do exactly what you say.

• Options
    Uriel wrote: »
    I want a REAL spaceship.

Also I really Like Sword of the Stars 1.

It's a 4x spacegame with slightly easier mechanics and a decent interface!

I loved SotS; the larger ships actually felt like Large Ships instead of disintegrating slightly less swiftly than most other units like with a lot of RTSes, and being able to knock out individual components was fun.

I always wished the fleet sizes could be a tad bigger for it though..

• Options
    I never played Bridge Commander

but Starfleet Command is a game I always wanted to play but never got a chance

• Options
    also

i role played too many Starfleet scenarios in AOL chatrooms back in AOL 3.0

• Options
    Beat you to it @Rolo

It really is a fun game but I don't know enough people who'd have time to really make the full version worth it.

• Options
    Beat you to it @Rolo

It really is a fun game but I don't know enough people who'd have time to really make the full version worth it.

yeah, it requires a bit too much setup and coordination to ever really work

and it's not the sort of game that would ever really work with randoms from the internet

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Beat you to it @Rolo

I have it and it's badass and I would love to play with you guys but the latest version doesn't seem to play well with my computer. I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling minus the newest patch and see if I can play again.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Yeah.

It's not that it doesn't work so much as finding 6 interested people that also have the time for a lan party type get together.

• Options
    It could work via skype, one would think, if you couldn't get everyone in the same physical room.

That could be the sequel/expansion: Armada Commander. Add an admiral who control the controllers and plays everyone like an RTS.