As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Blank Card Adventures: The Reckoning

WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Critical Failures
BLANK CARD ADVENTURES: THE RECKONING

I finished doing Strip Search Adventures and in the course of doing so I ended up chancing upon my old Blank Card Adventures thread. It occurred to me that it was totally rad and fun to run so I'm going to do it again.
Here’s the premise. Each player only has one goal: absolute victory. However, the road to utter domination will not be smooth. You must properly utilize the powers of your cards in order achieve victory!

Each player exists as an avatar in my poorly-drawn comic world. These avatars have stats, attributes, and exist in a defined space. They exist on a map, predefined before the game. Each time an action is taken or the game world changes, I will draw a new panel in order to update it.

How do you play? Play a card. The game is played with a hand of seven cards, some of them blank and some of them prewritten. A card manipulates the game world. It can make your avatar perform some action, it may alter the game world around you, summon entities, shatter the fabric of time and space, what have you. Each player takes turns playing a card in a predefined pattern (decided by myself). At the end of each round of playing, they are PMed a new card. If a player has a blank card, they can edit this blank card (using photoshop or mspaint or what have you) in order to make it do whatever they wish.

There is one rule about what may be on these cards: They must have a cost. Now, what is a cost? That’s up to you to decide. It could be MP, or money, or dignity. I don’t care, but it must have some sort of cost in order to play. It is also important, however, that you all know that any card is up to interpretation by me as to how it will go into effect, and if I can turn a card against you I will.

There’s one other thing: once per game a player may choose to play a foil blank card. A foil blank card must be really really epic, and have a suitably enormous cost. Playing such a card will manifest a super awesome cutscene.

The end result ended up being something like this:
2rdw6eu.jpg

Blank Card Adventures: The Reckoning is a prequel-sequel to the original Blank Card Adventures. It takes place thousands of hundreds of years in the future-past. Both new and returning characters are welcome, and it should be expected that the game will cover the same basic themes and motifs as the original. I'm probably going to have 4-5 players this time around. Every player will be expected to play their turn within 24-hours of me declaring it is their turn, players who do not do so will be subject to humiliating consequences. Every player is also expected to have read and memorized every line of the 6-volume Blank Card Adventures Rulebook series, which can be purchased in e-book form on Amazon for ~$200. The game will end when I wander away because I have literally just completely forgotten about it. At this point in time I may or may not name a winner.

In order to join this game, you must PM me with the following information:

Your avatar’s stats: Your 5 basic attributes must add up to 50 points total between:

Swole (SWL)

Swag (SWG)

Sprightliness (SPR)

Sexterity (SEX)

Sphagnology (SPH)

In addition each player must come up with (1) Flaw and (1) Feat.

Your avatar’s physical appearance: You must give me some description or picture.

Five cards that you have invented yourself: I will give preference to people who make up some really good cards. I will select primarily for cards that manipulate the game world in clever ways, utilize attributes, have clever costs, have stats, gems, and webs, and can online with friends...or your enemies. Keep in mind: I'm going to take the cards that you make, add them to the deck, and then redistribute them later, so don't just make cards that you want for yourself. Cards should be 300x400px.

AUDIENCE:
Even if you don't want to/don't have time to be a player, you can PM me cards that you've made and I'll add them to the deck.

I mean, if they're good, obviously.

Winky on

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I was going to suggest something sexual, but then I noticed you already said "Sexterity"

EGO is probably a good one.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    "Swole" is clearly superior to "strength" however gramatically incorrect the usage will end up as.

Also I do surely regret that I cannot participate. Because this seems like it will be glorious.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2012
    SWAGGER?

Who needs Charisma when you can have SWAG!

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    I was going to suggest Charisma, because people need at least one dump stat.

However, that's cliche, so instead the stat should be called Attentiveness. Because people tend to have trouble sticking to things, and should at least be rewarded with extra points to spend on Sexterity because of it.

• MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I'm going to build off of Kilnaga's suggestion and propose a Five S system. The five "S"es in this case are Strength, Sprightliness, Smarts, Swagger, and Serendipity.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    These are all good so far but I need at least one of them to be absurdly specific.

edited September 2012
    OK then, let's chuck Strength and add in Selenomorphology, the study of the lunar surface and landscape. Or Selenology if you want to be more generous with lunar science in general. Or Splanchnology, the study of internal organs. Or Sphagnology, the study of peat mosses. Sphygmology, the study of the pulse.

... Scientology?

EDIT: Feel free to switch in Sagacity instead of Smarts. I was on the fence about that one.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    Hey now, if you're gonna use other big words you might as well. Made sense to me. :P

- Terence McKenna
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    I second the inclusion of Sphagnology

Alright, OP updated with how to sign up for the game.

I hope it's not too stuffy of me to request that some context for the player attributes be re-added to the opening post, so that the initial posts in the thread don't just look like crazy ramblings? (Interesting choice of including all of Swag, Sprightliness, and Sexterity. You'd think that Sexterity would be derived from the other two, but I suppose it's important enough to make it its own dedicated attribute.) Also, should we assume some unlisted secondary stats that'll come up as necessary as the story progresses? Vital stats like Stamina and Spirit, for example. Thirdly, are there any guidelines you want for blank cards in terms of size and proportion? Standard 300x400 size used in the 1kBWC forum games, perhaps? Any card templates to follow?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I hope it's not too stuffy of me to request that some context for the player attributes be re-added to the opening post, so that the initial posts in the thread don't just look like crazy ramblings? (Interesting choice of including all of Swag, Sprightliness, and Sexterity. You'd think that Sexterity would be derived from the other two, but I suppose it's important enough to make it its own dedicated attribute.) Also, should we assume some unlisted secondary stats that'll come up as necessary as the story progresses? Vital stats like Stamina and Spirit, for example. Thirdly, are there any guidelines you want for blank cards in terms of size and proportion? Standard 300x400 size used in the 1kBWC forum games, perhaps? Any card templates to follow?

1. No, if anything my explicit goal in this thread is to make your posts look like crazy ramblings.

2. I differentiate the stats as so:
    Swole: How swole you are
    Swag: 'nuf said
    Sprightliness: Literally how much you are like a spright
    Sexterity: Like dexterity, but for your genitals
    Sphagnology: Works basically exactly like it does in every other RPG

3. All secondary, tertiary, and quaternary stats are listed at length in the well-defined official rulebook, any player may reference it as necessary during the course of card creation.

4. Yes I absolutely should've put that in the OP. 300x400 sounds good to me. Otherwise there's no template outside of requiring a cost. I'll like you better if you put a picture on it, though.

Winky wrote: »

What other RPGs have Sphagnology? o_O

- Terence McKenna
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

What other RPGs have Sphagnology? o_O

Oh you know, the common ones.

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2012
    EDIT: Whoops.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I always like In Memoriam

it's not really on the same level as Dulce et Decorum Est, but being as true as poems can be does mean it strikes a chord in me.
    So you were David’s father,
    And he was your only son,
    And the new-cut peats are rotting
    And the work is left undone,
    Because of an old man weeping,
    Just an old man in pain,
    For David, his son David,
    That will not come again.

Oh, the letters he wrote you,
    And I can see them still,
    Not a word of the fighting,
    But just the sheep on the hill
    And how you should get the crops in
    Ere the year get stormier,
    And the Bosches have got his body,
    And I was his officer.

You were only David’s father,
    But I had fifty sons
    When we went up in the evening
    Under the arch of the guns,
    And we came back at twilight -
    O God! I heard them call
    To me for help and pity
    That could not help at all.

Oh, never will I forget you,
    My men that trusted me,
    More my sons than your fathers’,
    For they could only see
    The little helpless babies
    And the young men in their pride.
    They could not see you dying,
    And hold you while you died.

Happy and young and gallant,
    They saw their first-born go,
    But not the strong limbs broken
    And the beautiful men brought low,
    The piteous writhing bodies,
    They screamed “Don’t leave me, sir”,
    For they were only your fathers
    But I was your officer.

Quoted for posterity.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Someone make me a card. When you play it, all the money in the game gets redistributed evenly, except that the player who used the card keeps all their money and gets half the total pool before redistribution.

Someone make me a card. When you play it, all the money in the game gets redistributed evenly, except that the player who used the card keeps all their money and gets half the total pool before redistribution.

To counter this appalling display of decadent capitalism I made this

wr1e8p.jpg

ftOqU21.png
    oh damnit, forgot a cost

ftOqU21.png
    edited September 2012
    1zd4wu0.jpg

EDIT: These should possibly not be posted, should they.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
    Posting them ruins a tiny bit of the fun, but I will use them anyway.

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I am going to thoroughly enjoy watching this.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    Times like this make me wish I could draw pictures on the internet.