As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles] Picked up through season 3 already!

CenoCeno pizza timeRegistered User regular
edited February 2013 in Social Entropy++
nick-logo.png

nick.com/shows/ninja-turtles/

A while back, Nickelodeon bought up the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles lock, stock, and barrel. They've rebooted the franchise and the one-hour series premiere airs Saturday morning, September 29, at 11 AM EST. There was a preview of the first half hour that aired on 9/28. It was actually really good. It had some genuinely very funny comic beats and it's not insultingly dumbed down, even if it's aimed at a younger crowd. The art style is CG animated, with a distinctive Teen Titans-esque anime wink every now and again. Overall, it's very smooth and the stylized art style works. The voice acting is very solid, with the cast being as follows:

Leonardo - Jason Biggs
Raphael - Sean Astin
Donatello - Rob Paulsen
Michelangelo - Greg Cipes

Opening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYrkWRzJ4QU

Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XK8EOD9buLc

I urge you to give it a try. Lots of nods to previous incarnations. And, yes, Rob Paulsen was the voice of Raphael in the original cartoon.

Ceno on

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Haven't seen this yet, but I know that they're portraying April as a teenager and that is just a great and obvious idea that I can't believe no one ever thought of it before.

Also I like the white eyes look on them a lot better, I wish they looked like that all the time.

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Can we talk about Young Justice in here because I am so pumped for that to come back tomorrow

Season 2 is so much better than 1 it's unreal

I do not understand the detractors at all

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    His name is Robert Paulsen.

• LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    hm

hmmmmmmm

oh woah I just watched the opening

that animation looks...

not good and really cheaply done

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Sean Astin?

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    yeah I dunno about this

that opening and trailer did not give me a lot of hope for the animation or voice actors

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, seems low budget.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Yep. All the things that you guys are saying I said too, before I saw the full thing tonight.

It was quite entertaining. I'm really looking forward to checking out the full premiere tomorrow morning.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    I really liked the other reboot that happen'd in the early 00's but this one doesn't seem too hot. I have hazy memories now of the original cartoon and I am scared to watch it again.

Actually don't mind the intro song to this though.

steam_sig.png
    the original cartoon is very much a children's program from the nineties. It's not too watchable, but it isn't horrible.

Like, I'll have fun watching it with my son, but it isn't like Adventure Time, where I'm gonna watch that with or without him.

They definitely suffer from not being able to show any sort of fighting in the show. 90% of the time they use their weapons is to throw them at a machine.

I kind of just wish the whole show was done in the style of the freeze shots for the turtles

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    I got a weird mix of vibes from that trailer.

Mostly it looked just pretty bad, but some of the shots looked really stylized, and I'm wondering if maybe it's just a really terrible trailer.

I mean, the 2007 movie was actually pretty decent, but the advertising made it look terrible.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

Yeah the trailer is much worse than the actual show. Give it a whirl this morning and see if you like it.

I'll get around to it.

It would help if I had television.

• BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Watching Green Lantern right now.

God I love Guy Gardner

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    Kevin Michael Richardson is Shredder. Nolan North plays all the Kraang.

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    I really liked this premier. I wasn't a big fan of the anime eye stuff they would do, but I like the look of the show, and I'm glad they put in some robot bad guys so that Leo and Raph can really use their weapons to do stuff.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I like the anime eye stuff

This show is okay, gonna DVR it from now on

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Is CGI just really cheaper than cell animation, or do TV executives just feel compelled to force it in to everything because it's newer?

I see the hand-drawn parts in the opening for character names, and it looks way better than the CGI stuff.

YL9WnCY.png
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Is CGI just really cheaper than cell animation, or do TV executives just feel compelled to force it in to everything because it's newer?

as far as I'm aware it has a higher initial cost to make models and environments and such, but once that's done it's way cheaper than traditional animation

0BnD8l3.gif
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    i have fucking oodles of friends working on this

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    dang, neither the original or the 2003 Turtles series are available on Instant Watch

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    2003 series can not be topped

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Kochikens wrote: »

This sounds like an endorsement

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    Kochikens wrote: »

This sounds like an endorsement

i endorse
    the lighting

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Watching Green Lantern right now.

God I love Guy Gardner

Guy Gardner is the greatest Green Lantern

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    I think I can live with this show. Initial misgivings mostly unfounded. Only remembered to watch it because I was skimming the TV guide.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Shit, I was gonna watch this morning but woke up too late

Ah well

Anyways, yeah, the 2003 series was fucking amazing and it'll be hard to top

Also, why do the theme songs of TMNT get considerably worse with each iteration?

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Also, something interesting I found out while watching the 1987 series

Chuck Lorre, besides being the shitbag that created Two and a Half Men, composed the theme song for the original TMNT series

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    Shit, I was gonna watch this morning but woke up too late

Ah well

Anyways, yeah, the 2003 series was fucking amazing and it'll be hard to top

Also, why do the theme songs of TMNT get considerably worse with each iteration?

You can watch it on the web:
    http://www.nick.com/videos/ninja-turtles-videos

Click "Full Episodes"

Dichotomy wrote: »
    Rorus Raz wrote: »

as far as I'm aware it has a higher initial cost to make models and environments and such, but once that's done it's way cheaper than traditional animation

Pretty much! Making a 3D model definitely takes more time than a standard drawing, but once they've finished the model and give it all of the various animations (Walking, talking, interacting with things, etc) it can be reused for whatever they need it for and it costs next to nothing.

It's definitely the "new thing" that many networks are doing, as well.

There are a bunch of really crappy looking CG cartoons based on older franchises.

It's like another era of Hannah Barbera, where it's just one really cheap cartoon after another coming out.

I've seen Winnie the Pooh, Garfield, Mickey Mouse, and others, and to be blunt they all look like utter shit compared to the older cartoons.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I watched TMNT when I was in kindergarten and first grade

the orignal will always have a special place in my heart

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Ok this new show ain't bad at all. Liking how each of the turtles are portrayed in this one. The Naruto style is kinda outta place though but the anime stuff is pretty sparse.

The Dontello voice is really throwing me for a loop since its the original Raph voice.

steam_sig.png
  • GoldenSeducerGoldenSeducer AAAAAUGH!! Registered User regular
    You know, I went into this kinda expecting something kinda dumb. But, they've written the characters in such a way that there will likely be very good character development. As I recall, in the older shows, Leonardo was already established as a leader. Now I get to see him grow into the role, and that'll be fun to see.

• CorporateRedCorporateRed Wooooooo! Registered User regular
    I loved the original cartoon when I was a kid. I was actually reading the original Mirage series recently, which I dig a whole lot.

Steam ID: Corporate Red
    steam_sig.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    I like the little nod to the first TMNT cover at the end of the opening:

teenagemutantninjaturtles1.jpg

• agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Splinter's daughter is totally Karai.

ujav5b9gwj1s.png