As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looper is the best movie this year, and you need to go see it.

Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Social Entropy++
Looper-Movie-poster.jpg?timestamp=1348468150304

just saw this

seriously blown away by how good it was, and i was already expecting the world considered the talent behind it.

go watch it! then come here! and we'll talk about it! about how good it is!

Vann Diras on

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    I looked up the plot on wikipedia does that count

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    Great movie.

Missed the post credits scene, though. Could someone describe it and the implications in a spoiler?

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    i gotta get out and see this

"Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Bruce Willis team up to fight the mafia through time" is basically the greatest movie pitch I've ever heard

• DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    dude up top there has kind of a kramerface going on

0BnD8l3.gif
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Seeing this tomorrow night, and am expecting the world of it

Did I mention how JGL has become my favorite?

Because he has

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    Great movie.

Missed the post credits scene, though. Could someone describe it and the implications in a spoiler?

welp i had no clue it had a post credits scene. was gonna go see it again anyway, guess i'll have to stick around next time

BugBoy wrote: »
    I looked up the plot on wikipedia does that count

no that makes you the worst

bugboy, my mortal enemy

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    as BugBoy's twin

I concur with Vann Diras. BugBoy, you are the worst

• BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    look if it was going to be a big problem my future self would go back in time and stop me from reading it

or something

I said when I saw trailers for this that it was either going to be mind-blowingly amazing or a sick dull thud. There'd be no in-between.

Glad it apparently is the former.

Dichotomy wrote: »

it's worth mentioning that it is almost creepy how good JGL pulls off a young bruce willis

like yeah the makeup is great, but he also has all of bruce's little facial twitches and mannerism down. it's crazy

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    Great movie.

welp i had no clue it had a post credits scene. was gonna go see it again anyway, guess i'll have to stick around next time

aftercredits.com says there's no post-credits scene.

I loved this movie a lot. And I'll second whoever said that JGL does a spot on Bruce WIllis impression; I loved watching him do it for the first quarter of the movie, then the scene between the two of them was pure magic.

• QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    This easily became my favorite movie of the year, but I haven't seen the Master yet so that may change. I really loved the economic editing, especially in the first third with all of the setup. Some really nice pacing in there.

I wonder if I will like this more than The Dark Knight Rises

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i wonder if i'll like this more than expendables 2

I wonder if I will like this more than

Rock of Ages

• GorkGork Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Great movie.

aftercredits.com says there's no post-credits scene.

I saw a few discussions online that said there is one. Also, when I checked the plot on Wikipedia, it described one. Now it's gone. Weird.

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote: »

it's worth mentioning that it is almost creepy how good JGL pulls off a young bruce willis

like yeah the makeup is great, but he also has all of bruce's little facial twitches and mannerism down. it's crazy
    It took me a while to figure out that was what he was doing. There was one scene where the impression was good, but it didn't really fit the scene. Seemed off.
    That said, loved the movie.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    Someone looped the aftercredits

Looped it right up

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I like the premise a lot but I didn't find the actual nitty gritty bits of the story to be interesting.
    Whoa, a precocious kid. Awesome

• MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    I Joseph Gordon-Love-it

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    in a world where ghost rider: spirit of vengeance exists, this movie is nothing. NOTHING

in a world where ghost rider: spirit of vengeance exists, this movie is nothing. NOTHING

what is this here even

what are you doing

come on

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i was disappointed by ghost rider: spirit of vengeance

it was pretty good but drive angry was better

wish i saw them in an opposite order

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    MY god, this was just a great movie.
    I was not expecting to like this movie as much as I did.

• BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    This movie is awesome. My second favorite movie of the year right below avengers bar none

• Devlin_DragonusDevlin_Dragonus Gorgeous Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    Saw this, Loved it. Top 3 movies easily Looper, End of Watch and Avengers, very different movies, all amazing.

I got nothing for you now. Try again later.

• BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    so bruce willis and jgl

be still my beating heart

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I really want to see this

but I don't really have the time

but when I do I will watch it intently

clocks

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I like the premise a lot but I didn't find the actual nitty gritty bits of the story to be interesting.
    Yeah fair enough.

Also.
    The implication is that the rain maker is killing all the loopers because one killed his mother.

That is the "Unadulterated" original timeline that Bruce WIllis lived.

But he wasn't there to kill his mother. So that's a paradox.

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I really want to see this

but I don't really have the time

but when I do I will watch it intently

clocks

puns tick me off

suck my tock, H Jack

• ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    I thought the whole
    telepathy thing was... unnecessary, an extra burden on the suspension of disbelief. There was enough going on just with time travel existing. I felt like they could have had the rainmaker kid just be a straight-up genius - maybe the inventor of time travel technology, or someone who improved on it significantly and used it to take over the criminal syndicates by being literally everywhere at once.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough.

Also.
    The implication is that the rain maker is killing all the loopers because one killed his mother.

The original unadulterated timeline was the one including the stable time loop in which Bruce Willis lived and went back, tried to kill the Rainmaker, failed, killed Sarah, JGL grows up to be Bruce, goes back in time, etc. The timeline only becomes adulterated at the very end when JGL realizes this and changes the repeating loop by killing himself.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    sending people back in time to have them killed seems weird

why not just kill them and skip a step

• darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    Yeah fair enough.

Also.

The original unadulterated timeline was the one including the stable time loop in which Bruce Willis lived and went back, tried to kill the Rainmaker, failed, killed Sarah, JGL grows up to be Bruce, goes back in time, etc. The timeline only becomes adulterated at the very end when JGL realizes this and changes the repeating loop by killing himself.
    Except the unadultered timeline starts with JGL killing Bruce to close the loop. Thus sparking his retirement by going to China

pHWHd2G.jpg
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I can't think of this movie without thinking of loopback.jpg

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    My friends didn't really like this but I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought it was a really smart movie (self-aware comedy, good twist, etc).

JGL still looked really weird.

darunia106 wrote: »
    Yeah fair enough.

Also.

Except the unadultered timeline starts with JGL killing Bruce to close the loop. Thus sparking his retirement by going to China

Oh yeah.

• ScudoScudo Registered User regular
    my two favorite movies this year both have Bruce Willis in them

this and Expendables 2
    actually this and Moonrise Kingdom

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    sending people back in time to have them killed seems weird

why not just kill them and skip a step

this is also the part of the premise I don't understand

why even mess with time travel

PNk1Ml4.png