As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Champions Online] Psychic zombies, robot pirates, and Killdozer. 'Nuff said.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    A quick report on Massively about CO's third anniversary celebration has an interesting piece of info on what's to come.
    Starting next week, players can enjoy rewards such as legacy gear and vanity pets, as well as an upcoming concert starring Sapphire. Don't get too complacent with the festivities, however, as rampaging robots will be trying to crash the party. These machines are part of Dr. Destroyer's army from 1992, and are building up to a full-on invasion of Millennium City later this month.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Destroyer robo-invasion was the first anniversary, the Sapphire concert was the 2nd anniversary.

This year they appear to have combined the two, which makes sense. The devs informed us rather apologetically that since they were working on Nighthawk right up to the wire they didn't have time to plan a new anniversary event.

Which is fine. We get water balloons and had a double exp weekend and a giant cake. It's good enough.

If nothing else it means people can focus on collecting the anniversary perks from the past two years, since there are only a few new ones this time.

• ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    Yeah. They did add a couple of costume pieces. I can verify that mathematically speaking, three pieces--the shoes, mask, and pants--seem to have a drop rate of less than 1%.

...on the bright side, when I can get a new character slot I now have the complete costume for a character named Mister Fancy Pants. And my main made some progress towards getting the "kill 5000 Dogz", "kill 5000 Sovereign Sons", and "kill 5000 New Shadows" perks.

Also, I was able to take a character from 23 to 34 while hardly trying, thanks to the double XP boost and the XP booster item. So that was nice.

Next couple of days, I think I'll see if I can get all eight characters I have to max out their daily questionite acquisition.

• ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    There is a daily cap on the amount of questionite you can get?

Also, in the alerts(which were amazing for leveling this weekend) why is it sometimes the boss drops an item or box of questionite or both and MOST times, it drops nothing?

• Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    There is a daily cap on the amount of questionite you can get?
    No, just a refine cap of 8000.

steam_sig.png
    And they started an hour late so I'm out 6k for an hour's work.

Shadowen wrote: »
    Yeah. They did add a couple of costume pieces.

What costume pieces? Not to dismiss your claim, but...

Shoes/mask/hat are definitely not new.

edited September 2012
    Ah, yes, I see, you're right. I had only counted the difference between 1st and 3rd (the 2nd added five pieces).

There are a couple new perks though. (Just for 100 presents and 40 water balloons, but...)

Almost managed to get all my characters their maximum allotment of refined Q for the day. Only being stupid and deciding not to start before the event stopped me.

Shadowen on
  • DacDac Registered User regular
    Wow.

So the last time I played this game was two years ago. Back then, everything seemed like it was broken. Powers were terrible, stats were borked, content suddenly dropped at 30, forcing you to grind mobs (uguaguguggh) for a few levels, nerfs were way overboard, etc.

Check back in today because I'm exploring options if/when CoH goes down, and wow! This game feels brand new! I'm definitely leaning in this game's direction over DCUO at the moment.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
    edited September 2012
    Yeah, there's still lots of little bugs--and some larger ones--and some power combinations are just not fair at all, but for the most part they all work, it's got a fair amount of polish, and they've added more higher-level content since I started about a year ago, when there was already a decent amount.

But while DCUO, in the short time I palyed it, seemed to have more polish, there's one thing that pushes Champions over the top for me.

Above all other things, they are both, obviously, superhero games. When you decide on your look, you want to stick with it until you decide to change it, and even then you might just want an alternate, like you have your own range of all-weather action figures. I don't know if they changed it (and to be honest I will be shocked if they haven't at least added the option), but back when I tried DCUO after it went F2P, whenever you added new equipment it would change your costume.

Congratu-fucking-lations on missing the whole goddamned point, Sony Austin.

Shadowen on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    You can lock your costume down if you get the look you want. It only changes the costume appearance if that slot is unlocked.

Which it is by default.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Glad to hear it. Might try it again sometime, actually. As I said, that was the dealbreaker for me, and I couldn't find an option to change it at the time.

Glad to hear it. Might try it again sometime, actually. As I said, that was the dealbreaker for me, and I couldn't find an option to change it at the time.

They seem to take some sick pleasure in it. The vets can spot nubs because they have mish-mash costumes.

For me the lack of body sliders in DCUO is annoying.

What power combinations are not fair?

I plan to use these things.

edited September 2012
    Well, it's more overall builds that brutal. I've only got four freeform characters, and three of them mimic premium archetypes for simplicity's sake (and also for expediency's sake, as mimicking DPS makes leveling and acquiring Q much faster), the third taking a basic archetype and modifying it for survivability, so I don't have enough experience to really tell you. I can tell you that you can, at least in theory, build someone who can suck up damage like a tank but do single-target and area of effect damage almost as good as a DPS.

But I can bear witness to one build from personal experience. This was back before the On Alert! update, so whatever the used might have been nerfed by now. However, I recall during more than one match of Zombie Apocalypse, there was one guy who would ensure the heroes won. This was because he was pretty much unkillable. In the Zombie Apocalypse PVP matchups, all the heroes (usually five, but I've seen more) start on one team, against, of course, waves of zombies gradually increasing in strength. Each time a hero dies, though, rather than respawn on the hero team, he spawns as a zombie, with all his powers. At the end of at least three matches I recall, every other hero had been turned, and for the last minute or two this motherfucker was just trundling about the snow, blocking, not fighting back at all, while every enemy and all the turned heroes wailed on him, and his hit points never dropped below half--and when they did, which happened maybe twice, he had a quick heal set up. Guy was probably a total prick to fight in duels. :D

Shadowen on
    Well, it's more overall builds that brutal. I've only got four freeform characters, and three of them mimic premium archetypes for simplicity's sake (and also for expediency's sake, as mimicking DPS makes leveling and acquiring Q much faster), the third taking a basic archetype and modifying it for survivability, so I don't have enough experience to really tell you. I can tell you that you can, at least in theory, build someone who can suck up damage like a tank but do single-target and area of effect damage almost as good as a DPS.

But I can bear witness to one build from personal experience. This was back before the On Alert! update, so whatever the used might have been nerfed by now. However, I recall during more than one match of Zombie Apocalypse, there was one guy who would ensure the heroes won. This was because he was pretty much unkillable. In the Zombie Apocalypse PVP matchups, all the heroes (usually five, but I've seen more) start on one team, against, of course, waves of zombies gradually increasing in strength. Each time a hero dies, though, rather than respawn on the hero team, he spawns as a zombie, with all his powers. At the end of at least three matches I recall, every other hero had been turned, and for the last minute or two this motherfucker was just trundling about the snow, blocking, not fighting back at all, while every enemy and all the turned heroes wailed on him, and his hit points never dropped below half--and when they did, which happened maybe twice, he had a quick heal set up. Guy was probably a total prick to fight in duels. :D

Er, crippling challenge disables blocking.

The current PvP metagame involves superstat Con > Force Geyser > Imbue > Force Cascade

If someone is blocking you tag them with crippling challenge before geysering and one-shotting them.

Basically PvP involves hiding in teleport until you can snipe someone with a cascade.

The most broken PvP builds are not really anything like the broken PvE builds.

It's really easy to make a broken PvE build. Just take Hurricane or Epidemic, Aura of Primal Majesty, some self-heals and bubbles and then enjoy your petty godhood.

• Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular

It's not super hard to get a tankmage thing going with a melee build. A combination of single/dual blade, or bestial attacks, along with Defiance/Invulnerability, and you're set. Add in Constitution as a primary super-stat, and you will be mega-tanky while doing great damage. You'll want a few heals, too.

The defensive things can be done just as easily on a ranged build, but getting equivalent sustained DPS to a meleer is pretty much impossible. You can probably come closest by using multiple Power Armor attacks simultaneously, as this will almost always out-dps a character that's using one non-PA attack at a time, provided you can handle the energy drain. Last time I checked, there were some shenanigans involving Infernal/poison mechanics that allowed for enormous damage, but those will probably get nerfed in the future.

edited September 2012
    Epidemic does have a pretty sweet graphic.

Now, when you guys say bubbles, what powers exactly are you referring to? Like Bionic Shielding?

Also, I am really digging this costume creator over CoH's. However, I would love CoH's faces(if you can fucking believe that!) over this slidable face we have here. I usually end up putting a full mask or helmet or some such over the face because the face slider only goes so far and I have gone far enough with that, thank you very much.

Shawnasee on
  • DalantiaDalantia Registered User regular
    Yeah, the faces are the only problem I have with CO's costuming.

steam_sig.png
    DS Friend code: 3840-6605-3406
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Don't know why Cryptic doesn't just use the ones from Star Trek Online. They're much better.

steam_sig.png
  • Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Don't know why Cryptic doesn't just use the ones from Star Trek Online. They're much better.

The cartoony look of CO characters fits with the setting, and the sliders can produce a wide variety of faces. The STO ones are more realistic, but I've found it to be very difficult to create humans who don't look like they're directly related to the generic default while still looking human.

edited September 2012
    Cryptic's released a new Flight-alternative travel power in the form of the Cape Glide. Now all not-Batmans, not-Nighthawks and anyone more original that has a cape but no actual flying ability can glide through the air with the greatest of ease. It's 525 Zen if you want to add it to your available travel power selection. Also, anyone that are actual subscribers to the game can get some sweet gifts today thanks to the Anniversary Celebration.
    CO.com wrote:
    If you first logged in on your account six months ago – before 3/20/2012 – you’ll be getting the title “The Courageous” and a Nighthawk action figure.

If you first logged in a year ago – before 9/20/2011 – you’ll get some bonuses on top of the six-month tier. You’ll get a Hawkwing Interceptor action figure, the title of “The Undeterred”, and a three-pack of chance boxes.

If you first logged in two years ago – before 920/2010 – you’re getting the top tier of prizes. In addition to the two lower tiers, you’ll get a Hawkwing Command Jet action figure, the title of “The Indomitable,” and a set of Vanguard Heirloom Gear. This gear befits someone with your legacy of supporting Champions Online.

Owenashi on
    Oh shit, heirloom gear?

*starts up CO*

• flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    Wow.

So the last time I played this game was two years ago. Back then, everything seemed like it was broken. Powers were terrible, stats were borked, content suddenly dropped at 30, forcing you to grind mobs (uguaguguggh) for a few levels, nerfs were way overboard, etc.

Check back in today because I'm exploring options if/when CoH goes down, and wow! This game feels brand new! I'm definitely leaning in this game's direction over DCUO at the moment.

I did the same over the weekend, and so far I've noticed it runs better, doesn't melt my video card, and is actually much more polished. That being said, were there any must-purchase items? I wasn't expecting cryptic to actually honor the lifetime perks, but I logged into a significant chunk of zen in my CO account.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
    edited September 2012
    "Must-purchase" depends on what you're looking to do.

Since I see it as more of a specialized CAD program than anything else, for me, "must-purchase" consists entirely of character design options (travel powers, costumes, hideouts) that you don't get with a subscription.

Shadowen on
    If you're not a subscriber and don't plan to be one, you can spend some cash on unlocking an Archetype. They just released the Night Avenger based around new hero Nighthawk. As you can probably guess, both Nighthawk and the Night Avenger are CO's take on Batman. If you played CoH as well, it may remind you of the Stalker as it has a Stealth ability attached to it. Of course, I don't remember any of the Stalker sets getting a bombing run via your remote-controlled one-person jet as their final power. If you REALLY want to Batman-expy it up, they released the Cape Glide travel-power today too, letting you fly about via hang-gliding with your cape. You'd probably want to invest in more character slots too as non-subscribers only get two free.

Ah, I think the lifetime stuff unlocked all the archetypes, so I think it's just bank space, slots, and costumes. It was difficult to tell what were good bundle deals from the creator though, just that there was quite a selection of new paid pieces I don't remember seeing at launch.

Also, my L40 char was filled with old crafting materials which I just assume is vendor trash now, probably along with all the old-itemized equipment I had. Probably for the better, as the old crafting system was a pretty lame grind.

flammiebc wrote: »
    Ah, I think the lifetime stuff unlocked all the archetypes, so I think it's just bank space, slots, and costumes. It was difficult to tell what were good bundle deals from the creator though, just that there was quite a selection of new paid pieces I don't remember seeing at launch.

Also, my L40 char was filled with old crafting materials which I just assume is vendor trash now, probably along with all the old-itemized equipment I had. Probably for the better, as the old crafting system was a pretty lame grind.

If you control+right click on old crafting mats it changes them all into rank 1 mods.

Now, a huge pile of rank 1 mods is a tedious waste of time to combine them all into higher ranked mods.

However you will get some of the good catalysts out of a large pile of old mats, so it is worth converting them and then vendoring all the rank 1 mods if you don't feel like slowly combining them all 5 by 5 as opposed to just straight vendoring the old mats.

Legacy gear is vendor trash unless it's something special like teliosaurus pheremones or some shit like that. ie: old broken super rares.

AHAHAHAHA, flammiebc.

The old crafting system was a lame grind?

Oh lawd, I am dyin' over here.

Well, the new one looks like nothing but typical P2W gambling conversions, but I expect that from any PW mmo now :)

And it was pretty bad; I had 400 mysticism, and grinding the amount of purple mats at launch to make any useful top-end stuff was mind-numbingly bad. I think I had two pieces from it crafted before I stopped playing? Thanks for the conversion tip, I don't think I saw that indicated anywhere.

All I know is they went from a simpler yet more flexible WoW-style crafting system to one that compares unfavorably with goddamn Diablo II.

I am so incredibly happy that I managed to max out two characters' crafting skill well before the On Alert update dropped, because otherwise I'd have no chance at all of getting them over 50 on any character.

I just emptied out the sg bank of all the old legacy gear (gear without slots) and vendored them. That took a little bit of time.
    However, I came across SHIT tons of gear with costume unlocks(swords, pistols, smg's and the like) and that is fetching me some really nice coin.

Also, the heirloom gear, gives like 3% xp boost but I'm not sure if it's cumulative for all three items. It would seem it should be.

Vibora crisis bug: fuck you.

I need a tank build.

What active defense is awesome? I have been using Invuln with Inertial Dampening Field but is there something better for the tanking? Are there tanking powers that all tanks should have?
    I'm taking the fire energy builder with Fireball/Flashfire/Firebreath but that's not putting out a lot of damage.
    I would like to get a couple Earth/Heavy Weapon attacks into the rotation but I'm not sure what's viable.
    What about stats? Con as primary then strength and what else?

Not going to be doing pvp with this guy so there is that.
    Just alerts and such.

It's not so much dealing a lot of damage to be a good tank, especially if you're going in groups a lot (though of course if you're doing single-player PVE stuff it's a lot less aggravating to be able to bring down mooks down in a timely fashion). That can help, of course, but more important is to look for powers that have Challenging Strikes (which increases threat and debuffs an enemy's damage when they're not attacking you) or Crippling Challenge (which debuffs an enemy's damage unless they're attacking you, forces AI enemies to attack you, and breaks the target's ability to block for 10 seconds) as an advantage. Fire Breath has Challenging Strikes; neither Flashfire nor Fireball have either of those advantages. Good idea thinking Heavy Weapons and/or Earth, though; both sets have a large number of powers with either of the Challenging Challenge duo.

For a damage-soak tank, Invulnerability is probably your best bet for your innate passive. I've seen it bring even master villains down to 1 damage per tick on maintained powers without blocking (at least on normal). IDF sounds like a good form choice; I have a tank build that could probably benefit from that, both mechanically and flavor wise... With your active defense, well, Field Surge is clearly best if you have Personal Force Field, which you might seeing as how you have IDF; Resurgence works best if you already have Regeneration; Masterful Dodge is meant for dodge-tanks (and if you're using Invuln I'm going to assume you aren't one). Unbreakable throws a regenerating damage shield on you, although it doesn't refresh as fast if you're attacking.

As for stats, there's rarely a reason not to pick Intelligence. If you picked a healing power for yourself, Presence affects the efficacy of most healing powers. Supposedly Int, Con, and Pre are the most powerful of the stats.

Yeah, I wanna be a super soaker.

I have heard Field Surge and PFF are a good combination but PFF is a Slotted Passive as is Invuln so I can't have both. And with a toon named Fire Mountain bubbles won't be aesthetically pleasing to mine eye.

But if I was to take PFF you're saying IDF and Field Surge would go well with it?

And no Recovery or Endurance? But...but...that means I'll actually have to use my EB.

edited September 2012

I have heard Field Surge and PFF are a good combination but PFF is a Slotted Passive as is Invuln so I can't have both. And with a toon named Fire Mountain bubbles won't be aesthetically pleasing to mine eye.

But if I was to take PFF you're saying IDF and Field Surge would go well with it?

And no Recovery or Endurance? But...but...that means I'll actually have to use my EB.

Along with Shadowen's suggestions, don't forget to gear up properly with purple Unity stuff. You can get a very substantial amount of mitigation from dodging, even if you have no related powers, by grabbing the dodge severity (or whatever it's called) Primary Defense and slotting with the Core that boosts dodge chance.

You can also try super-statting Constitution. There's some extra tankiness to be achieved via Resilient, Adrenaline Rush, and Armored. Fuel My Fire will help with energy issues a bit, too.

edit: haha. looks like Imbue received a love-tap from the nerf bat on the test server. It got turned into an active offense that boosts crit chance/severity based on how much health you have left. The whining in the patch thread is glorious.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
    edited September 2012

I have heard Field Surge and PFF are a good combination but PFF is a Slotted Passive as is Invuln so I can't have both.

Ah, right, forgot that part.

They're intended to, at least. They're from the same power set, after all, and Field Surge is directly affected by PFF.

It probably won't do as well with tanks as it does with, say, DPS, but you would be shocked at just how much the Int power-cost discount can mean for not using your energy builder, though naturally it's better if you have an energy unlock or an energy-giving form. At the very least, as a tank you will want Con as a super-stat. You don't have to get Presence unless you get a power like Empathic Healing or some such, so you can easily swap it out for Recovery or Endurance if you prefer. (I recommend Recovery over Endurance, myself.)

Shadowen on
    edited September 2012
    So, tear this apart.

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Presence (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Grimoire
    Level 6: Enduring
    Level 9: Brilliant
    Level 12: Intimidating
    Level 15: Healthy Mind
    Level 18: Shrug It Off
    Level 21: Diplomatic

Powers:
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fireball (Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 6: Heat Wave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Immolation
    Level 11: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 17: Land Slide (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 20: Tremor (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 23: Aura of Primal Majesty (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 26: Palliate (Rank 2)
    Level 29: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 32: Aggressor
    Level 35: Flashfire
    Level 38: Bountiful Chi Resurgence

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Superjump
    Level 35: Mach Speed

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)
    Constitution: Deflection (1/3)
    Constitution: Adrenaline Rush (2/2)
    Constitution: Armored (2/2)
    Protector: Fortified Gear (1/3)
    Protector: Unrelenting (2/2)
    Protector: Bulwark (2/2)
    Protector: Exhausting Strikes (2/2)
    Protector: Resolute (3/3)
    Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
    Warden: Elusive (2/2)
    Warden: Tenacious (2/2)
    Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
    Mastery: Constitution Mastery (1/1)

edit: Building this on test shows me that Aura of Primal Majesty is a Slotted Passive...so take that out.

Shawnasee on
    That's a decent build. You should note, however, that there is a lot of power discount and cooldown reduction available from Utility slot items, so you could always grab something else in place of Int if you wanted.

I think this is a better build. Swapped out presence for Recovery.
    Land Slide has both Crippling Challenge and Nailed to the Ground in it.
    Do I need to have more than Tremor slotted for Crippling Challenge? Also, Tremor has a very satisfying animation.

Am I missing anything?

PowerHouse (Link to this build)

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
    Level 6: Constitution (Primary)
    Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
    Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Talents:
    Level 1: The Scourge
    Level 6: Enduring
    Level 9: Brilliant
    Level 12: Tireless
    Level 15: Negotiator
    Level 18: Quick Recovery
    Level 21: Healthy Mind

Powers:
    Level 1: Throw Fire
    Level 1: Fireball (Unstable Accelerant)
    Level 6: Heat Wave (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 8: Ebon Void (Rank 2, Rank 3, Voracious Darkness)
    Level 11: Invulnerability (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 14: Land Slide (Crippling Challenge, Nailed to the Ground)
    Level 17: Tremor (Rank 2, Rank 3, Challenging Strikes)
    Level 20: Inertial Dampening Field (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 23: Palliate (Rank 2)
    Level 26: Flashfire (Rank 2, Rank 3)
    Level 29: Immolation
    Level 32: Aggressor
    Level 35: Thermal Reverberation
    Level 38: Unleashed Rage

Travel Powers:
    Level 6: Superjump (Rank 2)
    Level 35: Mach Speed

Specializations:
    Constitution: Fuel My Fire (3/3)
    Constitution: Resilient (2/2)