As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looper is the best movie this year, and you need to go see it.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Less chance of finding the body

Just another John Doe

• -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote: »

Just another John Doe

there are lots of ways of getting rid of the body that don't involve time travel

are the police not going to be worried that these people are mysteriously missing

is it really worth the risk of destroying the space time continuum

PNk1Ml4.png
    Have you ever seen the wire

Hint: the police don't care too hard about missing hoodlums

but Bruce Willis is white

plus if they find him it's not a John Doe, it's JGL

PNk1Ml4.png
    Shut uuuuuup

furthermore

is it even illegal to kill yourself??

PNk1Ml4.png
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    you mean Bruce Willis is not a cute white girl

that's when the police start caring

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Butler wrote: »
    I thought the whole
    telepathy thing was... unnecessary, an extra burden on the suspension of disbelief. There was enough going on just with time travel existing. I felt like they could have had the rainmaker kid just be a straight-up genius - maybe the inventor of time travel technology, or someone who improved on it significantly and used it to take over the criminal syndicates by being literally everywhere at once.
    This was also my only problem with the movie, but the rest of the movie was good enough that it didn't ruin it for me.

• QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Antimatter wrote: »

Just another John Doe

there are lots of ways of getting rid of the body that don't involve time travel

are the police not going to be worried that these people are mysteriously missing

is it really worth the risk of destroying the space time continuum
    They explain it in the movie. People are ID'd and tagged in such a way in the future that killing someone without leaving a trace is nearly impossible.

oh well okay that makes sense

PNk1Ml4.png
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Although they do
    just up and shoot Bruce Willis' wife dead by accident, it's not that clear how they dealt with that.

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Although they do
    just up and shoot Bruce Willis' wife dead by accident, it's not that clear how they dealt with that.
    Probably sent the hit squad back too.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    i can forgive this movie for not perfectly relating how its instances of time travel work out because it's working in a lot more than that. i love all the themes this movie plays with
    "men fighting to protect what's theirs. the only kind of man their is" sums up the main idea of the movie pretty dang well, and watching it through that lens makes it really interesting. it is a very masculine movie, but it also doesn't mind wearing its blade runner/neo noir influences on its sleeve so that fits

heck the blunderbuss is such a great little metaphor for jgl's character all on its own, i love it

love dis movie

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    premise was cool, first half was pretty sweet, but then the movie introduced
    angry, potentially dangerous telekinesis kid-a really worn out trope found in a bunch of cartoons and anime. why? the whole TK thing was just completely unnecessary and shifted the movie tonally in such a total way that it was jarring.

was overall a fun movie to watch, but it was far from movie of the year. faaaaar from it.

balerbower on
  • DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Although they do
    The director answered that here, along with some other stuff
    The film mentions briefly mentions that, in the future, tracking technology stops murders from happening. But we explicitly see Joe’s wife murdered in the future. Johnson said this was one of several things he worked out in his head but didn’t put in the movie because it felt superfluous to the story. He instead explained it to us.

“Everybody in the movie has this nano technology tracking in their body and whenever there’s a death, a location tag is sent to the authorities from this tracking material. So they can’t kill people in the future. But if they send them back, that is not triggered.” He continues, “The material is powered off the body’s heat and it has a two year life after the person dies.” As for the wife, that was a big mistake made by the mobsters and the reason we see the shot of the village burning is that’s their half-assed attempt to cover it up.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I am so goddamn excited to see this

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    Although they do
    The director answered that here, along with some other stuff
    The film mentions briefly mentions that, in the future, tracking technology stops murders from happening. But we explicitly see Joe’s wife murdered in the future. Johnson said this was one of several things he worked out in his head but didn’t put in the movie because it felt superfluous to the story. He instead explained it to us.

“Everybody in the movie has this nano technology tracking in their body and whenever there’s a death, a location tag is sent to the authorities from this tracking material. So they can’t kill people in the future. But if they send them back, that is not triggered.” He continues, “The material is powered off the body’s heat and it has a two year life after the person dies.” As for the wife, that was a big mistake made by the mobsters and the reason we see the shot of the village burning is that’s their half-assed attempt to cover it up.

I actually remember talking about that possibility with someone on this forum, I forget where. It was essentially "So the future in Looper is like the future in Minority Report, and they send live victims back in time so the pre-cogs can't see the murder."

sci-fi concept slashfic

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    there were some nice tits in this movie too, that was pretty cool

• DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You should go to China

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    that was probably my favorite part of the movie. i feel like they could have done a lot more with the jeff daniels character

There were a lot of people in this that I had no clue about

Jeff Daniels, Paul dano, the skeezy rat kid from Brick

Jeff Daniels in particular was a treat though

• SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    I looked up the plot on wikipedia does that count

i just did this and ohhh man

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    I would buy a shirt that says "I'm from the future, you should go to China."

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    there were some nice tits in this movie too, that was pretty cool
    Coyote Ugly's tits

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    A Tibetan Caddy?

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • ScribbleScrabbleScribbleScrabble Registered User regular
    I wonder if I will like this more than

Rock of Ages

Are you kidding? That's just impossible.

• ScribbleScrabbleScribbleScrabble Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »
    sending people back in time to have them killed seems weird

why not just kill them and skip a step

this is also the part of the premise I don't understand

why even mess with time travel

Apparently it is really hard to kill people in the future. They also send them to the past so the future mob has no ties leading to the body, according to one of the OVs in the beginning.

yeah the use of time travel is explained at the very beginning of the movie

it works fine

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    If someone else killed your future self, don't you think maybe you'd want to kill them? If, however, you upfront tell folks part of the deal is you kill your future self when they're old and busted, then they don't have anyone to blame but themselves.

Did they do some makeup trickery on JGL?

Haven't seen the movie yet but his face looks different in some stills, in a way I can't quite put my finger on

yes

his makeup/mannerisms are all to make him look like a young bruce willis

and it is uncanny how well it works

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    Did they do some makeup trickery on JGL?

Haven't seen the movie yet but his face looks different in some stills, in a way I can't quite put my finger on

...Are you joking?

They did extensive makeup trickery to make him look like a young Bruce Willis

Quiet you
    I've only seen the one trailer and a couple of stills so I wasn't sure

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sorry

Just I had a tough time even recognizing him as JGL at times

So unless they did something stupid like CG his face (hello Green Lantern) I was just like "well of course they did crazy makeup shit"

Whooooaaaaa I just watched that clip of them in the diner
    That is fucking uncanny

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Going to see this Friday. Been looking forward to it ever since it was announced.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    Think I am seeing this on Wednesday. Was totally unaware of it until a few days ago, and don't really care much about the premise as I understand it, but... JGL and Willis.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    This was excellent as fuck.

• YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    this was really really really good

one thing I'm wondering about
    so would Jeff Daniels and the rest of the gang be alive again at the end if Bruce-Joe never existed

Also Bruce-Joe and Joe-Joe should be how we differentiate

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    YaYa wrote: »
    this was really really really good

one thing I'm wondering about
    so would Jeff Daniels and the rest of the gang be alive again at the end if Bruce-Joe never existed

Also Bruce-Joe and Joe-Joe should be how we differentiate
    No because this is now the post-Bruce-Joe canonical timeline. Provided there's no future timey-wimey, those guys stay dead.

Which is why I'm glad they didn't
    Somehow make the fuck-up Gat Man be a time traveler too. They kept things simple (as far as time travel goes) by only focusing on Joe's Journey

Abracadaniel on