As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The [Youtube Thread]: Now Easier to Browse Than the Real Youtube

• DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    @Tonkka smooches!

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    Since we're talking about interesting things done by anime, if you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend "Interstella 5555" (Even if you think anime is for jerks)

It's an entire movie that's like a music video set to Daft Punk's 'Discovery' album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAjR4_CbPpQ

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Here's my weekend project.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xco7dD1pmzM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yh3otmiXALk

I wrote the dialogue, and recruited the voice actors.

I think they did a damn good job, all told. More to come.

wVEsyIc.png
  • KadithKadith Registered User regular
    here's a soldier getting shot at in Afghanistan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g

I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety.

A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless.

This is way more interesting than all this anime bullshit

zkHcp.jpg
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    jesus that video

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    The soldier said he "went out into the open to drawn the enemies fire" so his buddies could move out somewhere.

Which, I don't know if that's standard procedure, but it seems like kind of a bad idea.

Btw, he was shot several times but luckily his body armor stopped the rounds. A part of his helmet was shot off, and his weapon itself was shot too.

dude don't criticize the guy

BahamutZERO.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    The soldier said he "went out into the open to drawn the enemies fire" so his buddies could move out somewhere.

Which, I don't know if that's standard procedure, but it seems like kind of a bad idea.

For him, yes. For the rest of his squad, no.

It's better for one individual to draw fire than the entire squad.

edited September 2012

Come on, don't be so touchy. I hardly criticized him.

If you want to read criticism of the guy, it's out there, and it's scathing, and it's coming from other veterans. There are lessons to learn from this video, that's the important thing. There's no value is just taking the, "Aw don't say anything bad!" road.

Drew-B on
    Yeah I mean the guy and his squad are lucky to be alive, and that's all well and good.

And we don't know the whole picture etc.

But they did have access to tools and training that could've made that situation less risky and achieved similar or better results.

zkHcp.jpg
    I guess I'm just too empathic, because all I can think when I watch that is how fucking terrifying that must have been.

BahamutZERO.gif
    Yeah, don't get me wrong. Dude is brave as fuck and what he did is certainly, you know, not something you want to go and be all, "OMG what a dumbass!" about.

I was just saying that from what I've read about the incident, a lot of training was ignored and a lot of danger could have been avoided and was needlessly invited. Honestly, the most scathing criticism from veterans I've read basically falls upon the army and this squad's NCOs for not training some of these guys properly.

Come on, don't be so touchy. I hardly criticized him.

If you want to read criticism of the guy, it's out there, and it's scathing, and it's coming from other veterans. There are lessons to learn from this video, that's the important thing. There's no value is just taking the, "Aw don't say anything bad!" road.

I think the bigger issue is that you're completely lacking in the training and experience to be able to intelligently critique what he did right or wrong. As am I. The difference being, I have the sense to not put my foot in my mouth by pretending I know better than he does.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2012
    All I did was point out that the response from those who have been in this guys shoes have been rather critical. I mentioned this because I was just conveying the point that the position this guy found himself in isn't exactly standard procedure. I'm just relaying hindsight analysis from other veterans, not my own. I never said I know better than him or what was going through his mind at the time of the incident. You can stop your strawman bullshit, now.

Drew-B on
    It's easy to find people in a community that agree with a particular point of view, just as it would be easy I'm sure to find other veterans that would agree with his decisions. I'm not saying that the veterans that are critical of his actions are wrong, as I'm not qualified at all to speak on such a matter (as I pointed out clearly before). It is however misleading to only refer to the responses that take a particular stance on his actions. Like I said, I'm sure you could find other vets that defend his actions/decisions. It's really not your place to be calling him out by proxy saying, "well these other vets think he was unwise so yeah, what he did was kind of dumb." But go ahead and mumble something about strawmen again. The point remains, neither of us is in a position to judge what he did or cherry pick the critiques of those that do have similar experience.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • KanaKana Registered User regular
    Kadith wrote: »
    here's a soldier getting shot at in Afghanistan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLHU-_OhT8g

I got a hit a total of 4 times. My helmet cam died and i made it down the mountain on my own. I was also hit in the side of my helmet and my eye pro was shot off of my face. We were doing overwatch on the village to recon and gather intel. I was point heading down the face of the hill with the LT. when we got hit. the rest of the squad was pinned down by machine gun fire. I didn't start the video until a few mins into the firefight for obvious reasons. I came out into the open to draw fire so my squad could get to safety.

A round struck the tube by my hand of the 203 grenade launcher which knocked it out of my hands. When I picked the rifle back up it was still functional but the grenade launcher tube had a nice sized 7.62 cal bullet hole in it and was rendered useless.

This is way more interesting than all this anime bullshit

Yeah man, this is a way better conversation, thank goodness we stopped talking about 80s cartoons

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    We went from anime to arguing about criticizing the tactical fortitude of a US soldier in Afghanistan in about a page.

SE++ BUSINESS AS USUAL 2012

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    Uhh I don't think Drew said anything the soldier did was dumb.

It's pretty clear he's in a situation that he should not be in and whose fault that is we don't know.

But if you think that sending a guy out from cover into the open as bait is a smart tactic, well hate to tell you, but it's not.

zkHcp.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Considering secondhand analysis is a thing you do constantly, that we do constantly as a society. It's the only way we can make any kind of sense about the world around us, whether we're talking about politics, foreign policy, municipal affairs and so on. If we only form opinions for things we are able to validate based on firsthand experience, we might as well live in our own little bubbles.

As an aside, It has been my job for the last five years, as a reporter and subsequently an editor, to allow people to make good judgement calls based on things they are not privy to experience firsthand. Just because there might be two sides to any argument (I've only seen one common sentiment expressed in the case of this video) doesn't mean we can't pick one or the other because, hey, "we just don't know" and "It's not our place." That's literally the Fox News ethos for how they convey their news. It doesn't matter if there are 99 experts saying one thing and 1 expert saying the opposite...they'll give five minutes to each side as if both sides are of equal merit, and then encourage their viewers to 'make the call.' It's this exact logic that leads so many people in the U.S. to believe evolution is a crock, ignore evidence of global warming, and so on.

Drew-B on
  • FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    i like it when dru white knights for the most powerful military force in the history of mankind. good stuff. please sir may I have some more?

Foolproof on
    Yeah, no. There's a huge difference between analyzing someone's homeopathic claims and analyzing a dude out in the field getting shot at. There's not really much equivalence between the two situations. Unless the scientist was being shot at while he was doing his research.

belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited September 2012
    Druhim wrote: »
    Yeah, no. There's a huge difference between analyzing someone's homeopathic claims and analyzing a dude out in the field getting shot at. There's not really much equivalence between the two situations. Unless the scientist was being shot at while he was doing his research.

Fortunately for him he was getting shot at with homeopathic bullets, so he just got wet.

The homeopathic soldiers are still confused about how he could've survived that extremely potent 1 part in a million dilution of bullet

Kana on
    A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
    It's just that, in the case of the latter, you feel that analysis from others who know what the hell they're talking about is dubious based on your hunch that I've cherry picked sources to fit a narrative? There's not some raging debate going on about what the guy did in that video. From everything I've read, the video is a cut and dried example of 'lessons to be learned.' It might not be tactful for me to say that given my position, but I think it's even sillier to just throw our hands up in the air and say, "Hey, it's not our place to say. Who knows?"

I feel bad for that guy, but that was also pretty funny.

edited September 2012
    It's got nothing to do with white knighting the military. Maybe he had a good idea and realized too late that he couldn't actually make it down the hillside, considering you can see it starts getting steeper w/ looser rocks as he started heading down, it looks like originally he wanted to head down to the building. Maybe he did something boneheaded from the beginning. Maybe he freaked out by the 2nd or 3rd time he got shot and just tried to grab whatever small cover he could and forgot his original plan. Nobody watching that video really knows, at least none of us in this thread. The thing is there's no utility towards us asking, "Well, did he mess up or what?" What difference does it make if he did? Why are we asking the question at all, except to second-guess a guy who still knows more about his job than we do. We're not learning any lessons from it either way, because we've never been in that dude's shoes and have no frame of reference to compare it to, so it just comes across as ego-stroking.

Dude was in a tough position, he did the best he could, and happily he survived. That's really all that needs to be said.

Kana on
    Man I've already had a cigarette and I'm at that point where I feel filthy for arguing on the internet. I'm just going to say, good points, fair enough, well said.

Whether or not the guy made good or bad choices is so far removed from the abstract points that were being made in the argument, anyway.

I just went to tinychat for the first time and what the hell is this

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Kana wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »

Fortunately for him he was getting shot at with homeopathic bullets, so he just got wet.

The homeopathic soldiers are still confused about how he could've survived that extremely potent 1 part in a million dilution of bullet

That's not how homeopathy works. You dilute something that CAUSES the condition you are trying to cure, and THAT is used as medicine. So, in this case, you are trying to cure somebody of life, and living is usually caused by consuming water (among other things), so you'd be diluting water. Obviously.

Also: 1 in a million is not the sort of dilutions they use. Try 1 in 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000. Or ten duodecillion, if you prefer.

Garthor on
    Hey, I was saying the bullet dilution was incredibly strong. It's a miracle he survived that squirt of water.

But you're right, diluted bullet would CURE bullet. Maybe a dilution of water and body armor, for armor-piercing death bullets.

Man I've already had a cigarette and I'm at that point where I feel filthy for arguing on the internet. I'm just going to say, good points, fair enough, well said.

Whether or not the guy made good or bad choices is so far removed from the abstract points that were being made in the argument, anyway.

You know you like it

You dirty, dirty girl and/or boy

let's go back to talking about radical/terrible 80s anime

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Let's just talk about animation in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECxctv3Un5s

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
    hahaha samurai jack at 0:44

BahamutZERO.gif
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    You're mistaking memes for a classic masterpiece >=O

or vice versa

HugmasterGeneral on
    all your base are belong to us is still a great song

BahamutZERO.gif
This discussion has been closed.