As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[CHAT] now with single artists near you ($0.99/minute)

• NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Huh. Didn't know those existed.

I'm trying to avoid spending that kind of money nowadays, but I guess if I continue to lose work on a regular basis, I might try that.

I've at least learned that the outlet in the bathroom can't be used...and if my roommate is at home at all, and upstairs, be cautious and save often. Also if there's a storm outside even if it seems not that bad.

It's usually not this consistent, and we actually had 2 months with no outtages at all, so I think we almost forgot about them.

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    Looper was pretty excellent. I'd see it again.

Can somebody please just kill that guy's thread already

it hurtsss usss

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Well, he's not really breaking any rules, so much as just being a bit of an idiot and posting lots of shitty artwork.

• WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what you mean by that...? My desktop can't run off a battery, and I've already backed up the most important parts of this computer on an external HD...the issue is that when the power goes out in the middle of my working, I lose a lot of work. And then it takes forever for my computer to reboot, because it'll spend 5 minutes on the desktop reading the harddisk furiously and being completely unusable during that entire time. Augh.

Yeah, as Mango said, thats what a 'battery backup' is for. They work wonders.

• GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited October 2012
    Grifter on
    F87 wrote: »
    I want to write a short story. A science fiction short story about a crew of space scavengers!

I need some good sci-fi books or shows to help inspire me. Any suggestions?

Check out 'The Quantum Thief'. It sits in a really good place between Charles Stross' singularity mind fuckery and Edgar Rice Burroughs 'John Carter' series.

Grifter wrote: »
    Well, he's not really breaking any rules, so much as just being a bit of an idiot and posting lots of shitty artwork.

I actually thought he was, more or less. He's also already said that the shitty artwork is intentional, so I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish here, except act like a borderline troll.

(not trying to police stuff here, I just thought his thread was meant to be closed anyhow)
    I'm not sure what you mean by that...? My desktop can't run off a battery, and I've already backed up the most important parts of this computer on an external HD...the issue is that when the power goes out in the middle of my working, I lose a lot of work. And then it takes forever for my computer to reboot, because it'll spend 5 minutes on the desktop reading the harddisk furiously and being completely unusable during that entire time. Augh.

Yep - I looked at his link and became learnéd. Cool piece o' tech.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Flay wrote: »
    I saw Looper the other night... perfect example of a movie that was awesome and didn't ruin it by putting too much in the trailer. So good, and I had no idea that the movie was going to go in that direction.

It's actually good? I saw Bruce Willis doing that one grimace he does and assumed it was a generic action movie.

I have to stop dismissing movies based on their poster designs, that's why I missed Source Code.

it's by the guy who made Brick and Brother's Bloom... and did two (?) episodes of Breaking Bad. That alone should get you to look past bad poster designs :P

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited October 2012

Yep - I looked at his link and became learnéd. Cool piece o' tech.

Huh, thats weird. The 5 posts before mine were not there when I posted :O I had even refreshed and everything.

Wassermelone on
    Huh, thats weird. The 5 posts before mine were not there when I posted :O I had even refreshed and everything.

This happens to me too! :C

• MangoesMangoes Registered User regular
    Grifter wrote: »
    If I'd said that, she would've been even more confused.

"I don't see what the brown delivery company has to do with computers."

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    It's actually good? I saw Bruce Willis doing that one grimace he does and assumed it was a generic action movie.

I have to stop dismissing movies based on their poster designs, that's why I missed Source Code.

Yeah, you do need to stop doing that. I wouldn't even call it an action flick.

Also Napp - why does no one talk about brother's bloom? That movie was fantastic!

Prospicience on
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    I want to write a short story. A science fiction short story about a crew of space scavengers!

space scavengers? hmm. Please wait here while I search the plastic milk crate that is my portable archives.

*periodic rustling*

So uh, I really wish Asimov's had better summaries of the stuff in each issue. I know there's a short story I want to reference in here somewhere, but I don't want to look through a year's worth of issues to find it.

I think what you're looking for depends on your tone and setting. Ragtag misfit crew, or science-y clean-cut crew? Starship Troopers crew, or 2001 a space odyssey crew? You can tell a cool story with either one.

try Jack McDevvit?

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Mostly I go see a movie when someone I know tells me it's good.

It's probably even better this way because I have absolutely no idea what Looper is about, so I can go in without any preconceptions.

I thought it was an extremely well thought out movie/concept. But I really liked Brick, so I'd see anything made by the writer/director. The way he's dabbling in different genres and actually pulling them off with aplomb is impressive.

Damn, I hurt my lower back playing whiffleball yesterday. I knew I was old but, ouch. Works gonna suck today.

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

It's probably even better this way because I have absolutely no idea what Looper is about, so I can go in without any preconceptions.

This method has burned me far more than any other. I mean, I fucking went to see The DaVinci Code on a friend's good word.

Also Napp - why does no one talk about brother's bloom? That movie was fantastic!

I'm not sure... but I also still need to see it so maybe I am part of the problem?

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    I got Borderlands2, otherwise known as "hey man get on we need a fourth!"

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    Feeling refreshed today! It looks like I'm slipping into one of those phases where nighttime makes me insanely depressed again. Which is also sad because (like always) night is where I feel most creative.

BUH

But I have a "new" book to read (actually, one I bought a year or two ago at a book fair and haven't gotten a chance to read yet :P ) so that will make my nights less emo.

In better news, I think that my calling about that dog down the street was successful. Although they have a backyard (and it's actually kinda nice from what I can see, and if they *had* put the dog there, it would still be an improvement), I haven't been able to see the dog at all from any side of the street though, including most of their backyard, so I think they're keeping him inside now. Yay!

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular

Dan Simmon's Hyperion was fantastic!

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Mannnn...why even make me come in if there's nothing for me to do yet. Aside from a team meeting, I've spent the first 2 hours doing nothing but reading news and listening to podcasts. :/

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Happy Spocktober!
    spocktober.jpg

• Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    I'm glad I'm seeing good things about Looper, I've been wanting to see it since I've seen trailers for it. As far as I can tell it's the first original movie in a while that looks really good.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    NibCrom wrote: »
    Happy Spocktober!
    spocktober.jpg

Needs more Zachary Quinto

are YOU on the beer list?
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    hnnnghh
    ZQ

• Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Nappuccino wrote: »

This method has burned me far more than any other. I mean, I fucking went to see The DaVinci Code on a friend's good word.

I'm not sure... but I also still need to see it so maybe I am part of the problem?

Fire all of your friends and accept me as your only friend because I have impeccable taste.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    natcowrimobox.png

Who's going to do it with me, Huh? Who?

You can contribute to my tumblr, we can do this together:
    http://natcowrimo.tumblr.com/

@Mynt I'm looking at you pretty hard right now.

• MyntMynt Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Iruka wrote: »
    @Mynt I'm looking at you pretty hard right now.

So THAT'S why I felt a sudden sense of panic when I woke up this morning... hahahaha...

I was gonna ask you if you were still down to "host" it... Just finished reading the details... I'm sooo ready to do this! Thanks @Iruka!

Mynt on
    i might perhaps want to get in on that, Iruka

i need a kick in the pants

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I want to do NatCoWriMo, but I feel like it shouldn't follow Inktober because that's ass backwards : )

Fucking do it, dude. Just PM me your email addresses and I'll ad you as contributors on Tumblr. We can also make a forum thread.

edited October 2012
    Dooo it.... DOOOOOO IT...

I will kick all of your pants... Just send them to me.

Or a photo of them... I will kick a photo of your pants too. All of them!

Mynt on
    I'll do it. I planned on starting on my sci-fi graphic novel in November anyway to get 6-8 pages done by January to launch it.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    Ohh that's tempting as hell.

edited October 2012
    m3nace wrote: »
    Ohh that's tempting as hell.

If you're even considering doing it, that means you probably should! Otherwise, it's just yet another excuse for why something goes unfinished. I don't know about you, but sometimes the most powerful piece of motivation is a deadline :D

Mynt on
    I mostly ignored inktober because its about a pretty specific part of comicing, and I want people to take advantage of the resources and widespread enthusiasm of NaNoWriMo. There are ALOT of writing tips, support groups, and other things that spring up for NaNo. I'm going to be doing this alongside my sister, anyway, so what better way to take part.

30 Pages in 30 days is not that bad. Its a challenge, yes, but you get to pick the degree at which a page counts as "finished". Or you can do the layout pages which, though is more by volume is substantially easier because you can just submit roughs and scripts.

• Agent ColemanAgent Coleman Registered User regular
    What are the odds that I find out about Inktober the same day I get some new brushes...NaNoWriMo sounds pretty good too...especially if I'm still jobless or partially jobless.

• MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    I talked to a man on the phone called Abel. That name is so retro it's cool.

• MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    I talked to a man on the phone called Abel. That name is so retro it's cool.

"Hey some people say the first man ever murdered was named Abel!" You totally have a lot to live up to!

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Finally got around to buying Mass Effect 3, finished it on the weekend. I didn't love the ending, but I'm not really getting the amount of butt hurt that went on.
    A cheesy star wars type ending was what I was hoping for, but I had a feeling Sheperd was going to die all along. The real dissapointment was the Mass Relays getting destroyed, which essentially means the ME universe is now completely fucked for any future story lines.

Mustang on
This discussion has been closed.