As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Bring your boxing gloves!

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    So I'm gonna Origins it up.

Is there a particular origin that's super cool? I was thinking a female dwarf commoner who bashes the shit out of people with her hammer, but my wife played human noble about a year ago and really enjoyed it.

I've played Female Woodland Elf, Male Circle Mage, Female Human Noble, and Female Dwarf Noble. Mage was definitely the least enjoyable, with Woodland Elf not far behind. Human Noble and Dwarf Noble have both been a lot of fun.

I wouldn't choose rogue as a class though. I think it's the weakest of the three PC options in DAO (though a very good PC option in DA2), while the most entertaining party members (to me, anyway) are rogues, so you don't want to get too homogenized. I've found your party works best in DAO when your attacks are diverse.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Female City Elf is easily the best

however, it means you have to play a class that isn't mage

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    I thought Human Noble and Dalish Elf Origins were the worst.

Dwarf Noble is the best imo.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Human Noble isn't bad, just generic.

Dalish Elf is boring though.

• Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Dwarf noble is alright

Female city elf is best though

It's so completely fucked

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    If you've never played Origins, I suggest Dwarf Noble. In my opinion it meshes the best with the overall story, and really makes you invested in certain decisions.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

I didn't think it was bad per se. Just compared to others, I didn't find it as enticing. Granted you did have the connection to the Howe family which can be interesting later on and in Awakening.

That reminds me if you played the Dalish Origin do you get any special references in Morrigan's DLC (I didn't buy it)? I'm guessing no.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Egos wrote: »

I didn't think it was bad per se. Just compared to others, I didn't find it as enticing. Granted you did have the connection to the Howe family which can be interesting later on and in Awakening.

That reminds me if you played the Dalish Origin do you get any special references in Morrigan's DLC (I didn't buy it)? I'm guessing no.

I do like that if you do the Dalish origin in DA:O everything with Merrill and her Clan in DA2 has a slightly different feel to it.

• Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    I am beginning to want to replay this... hmmm. Do I want to buy DA II at some point?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BrocksMulletBrocksMullet Into the sunrise, on a jet-ski. Natch.Registered User regular
    stopgap wrote: »
    I am beginning to want to replay this... hmmm. Do I want to buy DA II at some point?

Might as well, it's usually 5 $ on sale.

I, for one, enjoyed the Mako.

Steam: BrocksMullet http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197972421669/

• Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited October 2012

Actually, you do get a lot of Dalish Origin-specific comments in Witch Hunt. That, and Merril showing up/being you biggest fan in DA2 pretty much make up for how little the Dalish Origin connected to any of the plots in the main story compared to the others.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So my wedding was crashed, my husband killed, my bridesmaid murdered, my maid of honor raped, somebody tried to rape me, and I had to kill a whole castle full of people

And the game made two separate references to the preposterous amount of blood I was just showered in

That's an opening there, buddy

Also I took a couple of feats in dual-weapon fighting, got a greatsword, and decided to go with two-handed weapons instead. Did I miss out on those points forever? I guess it doesn't matter too much.

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    So my wedding was crashed, my husband killed, my bridesmaid murdered, my maid of honor raped, somebody tried to rape me, and I had to kill a whole castle full of people

And the game made two separate references to the preposterous amount of blood I was just showered in

Also I took a couple of feats in dual-weapon fighting, got a greatsword, and decided to go with two-handed weapons instead. Did I miss out on those points forever? I guess it doesn't matter too much.

The best part: Mr. Rapist is Male Hawke :mrgreen:
    granted he also voiced the relatively cool Ser Bryant

Egos on
  • Options
    I gotta say I love how silly the game is with its violence

There's one bad-ass execution where you pop a guy in the chin with the hilt of your sword and then lay him open from stem to stern

But then there's the EXPLOSIVE DECAPITATION, and every conversation you have after battle having you as some kind of canvas for red-colored horror.

This is my first time playing through the game so you guys are going to be hearing all about it

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular

If you're on the PC you can use the respec mod to reset any points. Otherwise, yeah, you can't get those dual wield points back. But, it's not a huge deal really.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Oh yeah. Now that I think about there is something I want back from DA:O.

The finishing moves.

• Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    I don't mind the finishing moves for the smaller/human enemies, since they were pretty quick, but for things like Ogres I much preferred the cutscene style finishers DA2 used. I can't count how many times I or Wynne would be shanked because Alistair was too busy leaping all over an Ogre to actually tank things.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    ILMTitanILMTitan Registered User regular
    I love messy kills, especially on ogres. I actually use the more messy kills mod. There is nothing greater than watching an ethereal Wynne in ancient elven armor jump up and stab an ogre in the eye with Spellweaver.

• Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    I'd like it if finishing moves made a note of what kind of weapon you're wielding. Stabbing a dragon in its head loses a bit of its awesome charm when you're stabbing him with a blunt hammer.

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Any idiot can stab an ogre through the head with a sword.

It takes a real warrior to stab an ogre through the head with a hammer.

• Options
    OatsOats Registered User regular
    Orca wrote: »
    Any warrior can stab an ogre through the head with a sword.

It takes a real idiot to stab an ogre through the head with a hammer.

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I was giving Dragon Age 2 another shot, i'd only done one playthrough prior to this. Sarcastic femhawke is pretty fantastic, but then I met Anders and immediately lost all interest in continuing the experiment, remembering what was ahead of me.

I think i'll just leave it at one.

• Options
    I will say that I personally think Anders is one of the best worst characters in a game ever.

• Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    I thought Anders was great...

...in Awakening.

3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Yeah.

I love Anders in Awakening, he cracked me up with his banter. Even his little Easter Egg in Witch Hunt cracked me up.

I will never forgive what they did to his character.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Screw Anders, what about what they did to poor justice
    But for real, does anyone actually care about justice?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    It's not just the whole lying terrorist twat bit, either.

Anders in DA2 is a never ending series of character and system violations.

Anders in Awakening is a rogue, but he's cheery and reliable as a Grey Warden. And yet in DA2 he somehow has so much anger that he actually warps Justice with it into Vengeance. It wasn't something that was always going to happen, they specifically say Anders' rage made it happen. And he's also a super shitty Grey Warden in DA2 as well. He sees and learns so much important stuff on the Darkspawn in Awakening and suddenly they don't matter in DA2. It's all Templars all the time.

And then we get to the mechanics. Anders as he is in DA2 should be one of the strongest motherfuckers in Ferelden by FAR. He's the composite of two epic characters. He shoulda been able to single handedly fuck up Meredith's shit. And furthermore, the whole Vengeance thing is stressed in the story, but it's the wrong wrongy mcwrongest way to go from a mechanics standpoint. If you're not healing with Anders you're doing it wrong, and that is a direct contradiction to the story as it stands.

• Options
    Anders' character change is because he becomes an abomination

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    Anders' character change is because he becomes an abomination

Incorrect. As I mentioned, it is pointed out that Anders' rage that corrupts Justice, not the other way around.

That and Wynne pretty much state it would have gone fine if Anders had not inexplicably become a giant prick.

If they had stated that somehow the taint from the going Grey Warden had corrupted the process then that would have been fine and I don't think we'd be bitching as much. But they don't. They say flat out that it is all Anders' own goddamn fault.

And then of course he pretends to try and fix it while actually lying his ass off to you.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    it doesn't matter who corrupts who

he's an abomination

you can't have a spirit of vengeance living in your brain and be the same person, even if you're the one who created the spirit of vengeace

as a human Anders can suppress his anger, not so much when Justice is constantly going "so yeah we should probably go murder all the templars right"

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    You said his character changes because he becomes an abomination.

It isn't. It's the other way around.

Yes having Justice has some consequences. Mainly, that he sometimes loses control over his actions. But that's a reaction to him getting angry. He's not a fundamentally different person because of Justice.

And admittedly there are two different explanations for why Anders blows up the Chantey based on your relationship with him(he takes responsibility if you are friends and insists Vengeance did it if rival, though I imagine being a rival he's likely lying there).

• Options
    edited October 2012
    yes, he is a fundamentally different person because of being an abomination and says as much when you ask him about it, all that dialogue about how you couldn't tell where Anders ends and Justice begins

it's not just that Anders is so angry that he warps Justice, it's also that Justice as a fade spirit doesn't understand how human minds work and simplifies the conflict in Anders' head and makes it all about vengeance. it's a symbiosis that harms both parties.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    One thing that strikes me about this game so far, and this is kind of echoed in a different way in Mass Effect, is that BioWare is pretty good about addressing death and war and culture and hsit like that there, but they still seem kinda spooked about sex. Like, not even sex itself, but nudity, and sometimes words

The female city elf origin is basically fighting off a bunch of rapists, and rape is an undercurrent of everything going on from the second Vaughan walks onto the scene

But nobody ever uses the word "rape", it's always cutesy euphemisms or avoiding it openly, even when you're helping your cousin up off the floor after assuring her that yes, yes they're all dead, you've killed all of them, can she walk?

It's not as bad as showering in your bra but I can't help comparing it to the Witcher games, where a rape was just called a rape and if you flinched then good

Also I'm gonna do my level best to ignore all this talk about Anders, and make sure my wife doesn't come into this topic since she hasn't played DA2 yet

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Also I'm gonna do my level best to ignore all this talk about Anders, and make sure my wife doesn't come into this topic since she hasn't played DA2 yet

Don't worry about Anders. He's not in DA:O proper, just the DLC. He becomes a main companion in DA2.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Also, in my experience humans are terrible

Kill all humans

Wyborn on
    dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Shit Wyborn, I'm sorry bro. I forgot that you just started playing this. I'll spoiler my shit from now on.

I'll not spoiler this though, Tim Curry is a voice actor in DA1, try and guess who he plays.

Hint: It's one of the reasons I like Human Noble so much.

Gaider, from what books he's wrote, that I've read, lacks a certain mental maturity. He can't seem to write in a way that resonates with more mature themes. In his games, he never has to write dialog for things like "rape", "child murder", "horrible disfigurement", and "sex". It's all implied through the graphics, but it's not in the dialog. Gaider can get away with it in the games, but he tiptoes around it. The dialog will be something like, "<kids name> was just a boy, how could <name> do this?! /sob" but you will never hear someone say, "He murdered my wife and child."

It's not so obvious in the games, because the visuals tell part of the story, but Stolen Throne and other Gaider books I've read, it's glaringly obvious and the tone is so different, it's jarring.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular

Kill all humans

Could be worse.
    Could be Qunari. They're the worst.

• Options

Kill all humans

:|

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »

Kill all humans

:|

To be fair, if you're an Elf this kind of thinking is understandable.

• Options
    molefacemoleface Registered User regular

Hah yeah I tried to do that too. I completed the game for the first time just recently. Coming into the game I managed to keep my knowledge of the game as little as possible, and the only thing I really knew was "fuck Anders". Honestly playing the game I didn't have too much of a problem with Anders because I was busy hating on Fenris anyway
    Until it happened. Seriously, fuck Anders

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker