As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starfall: Ronin on iOS

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
SFRLogo.png
It is the year 930.685 KC. The Galactic Commonwealth has fallen, and, though the war has ended, the galaxy has never needed soldiers more. Once a member of the noble, galactic fleet, you are now a hired gun; the last true law in the Starfall Galaxy. As renegade factions battle for power and territory in the now shattered realm, you must use your experience and your fleet to maintain the balance of power.
In Starfall: Ronin, you command a fleet of up to 6 customized ships. Complete missions to gain resources which can be used to upgrade and buy new ships as well as equip your fleet with a wide array of unique abilities.

Starfall: Ronin is a turn-based strategy game of space combat. Issue your commands, out-maneuver and out-gun your opponents. Purchase new ships and abilities for your fleet, and upgrade their stats for improved speed, armor, maneuverability, and more!

Starfall: Ronin is currently available on the App Store and is compatible with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad.
  • Addictive, turn-based gameplay
  • Endless combat that scales to match your skill
  • 4 player ship types and 8 unique abilities for endless customization
  • Procedural missions against 6 enemy types and environmental hazards
  • Powered by Unity3d

Get Your Copy Today!
As a gift to the PA Community, please use these promo codes for your free copy!

Promo Codes
3AMYJ9H94PLH
LREN4A9ANWTL
EA7P4FLMEK79
9M6N4ATT4LJJ
R74A6TWXK7FM

Be sure to post a reply here to let us know which code you've used (so others know). And let us know what you think of the game!

Check out our website and join the forums for more info!

sfrCombat.png

sfrMission.png

sfrNebula.png

sfrBattleship.png

sfrDamaged.png

I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Legal Stuffs
Code expires on Sat Oct 27 17:54:49 PDT 2012. Requires an iTunes account, subject to prior acceptance of license and usage terms. To open an account you must be above the age of 13 and in United States. Compatible software and hardware, and internet access (fees may apply) required. Not for resale. Full terms apply; see www.apple.com/legal/itunes/ww/. For more information, see www.apple.com/support/. This app is provided to you by Pillar 4 Entertainment, LLC

Tube on

• Options
    khanstructkhanstruct Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I'm the developer, and this space is reserved for my updates!

UPDATE 1.0.2 (available now)
    * Archer Missiles will no longer freeze your missions
    * Battleships will no longer be free
    * Firing Arcs have been added to show your ship's weapon range
    * The game will now rotate to display properly on iPads

UPDATE 1.0.3 (available now!)
    * Save Game bugs fixed
    * Fixed a bug that caused "ghost lasers"
    * Randomized Enemy Ship Placement

khanstruct on
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I have used the first code and I will let you know my thoughts once I've had a chance to try it out.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I have used the first code and I will let you know my thoughts once I've had a chance to try it out.

Same with the second! Thanks for the code, khan

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    I used the third, thanks! I look forward to trying this out.

3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I used the fourth and downloading now.

Can't wait to try it out.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I gave it a quick go. I don't know if it's just me but I found the weapons to be a little unclear and just kind of figured out that they fire automatically when you get to a certain distance to an enemy at a certain angle. I don't know, maybe making it a bit more informative or interactive could be handy? Like a firing arc and maybe even an option to tell the ship when to fire and at which target, if there are multiple?
    I'm still yet to really explore the game but this is just something that I immediately noticed, and again it could just be me.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    First thought: it appears to not want to rotate the screen so that I can have my iPad the way I want it (it is landscape, but upside down :()

Steam profile
  • Options
    khanstruct wrote: »
    I'm the developer, and this space is reserved for my updates!

I'm aware of one bug/exploit in the game that was caught by a player. We've submitted a fix and it should be in an update later this week. Try not to abuse it ;)

Is it the price of a certain ship? :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Lost CanuckLost Canuck World's Greatest Escape Artist Doctor Vundabar's Murder MachineRegistered User regular
    I'm finding it very difficult to set courses for battleships. It can take me quite a while to find the sweet spot that lets me move the arrow.

QYW8SHm.jpg
    Nintendo Switch friend code: SW-4012-4821-3053
  • Options
    So, played it a bit more. I like the concept, think it's cool and such. Couple critiques though.

As @Lost Canuck said, the controls are sometimes a bit unstable. It's not always easy to point it where you want it. I've noticed this is especially an issue when parts of your ship are damaged and so your movement is limited (that's an awesome concept, btw); it makes the arrow really really wonky sometimes.

The progression of the game is off, for several reasons. There is no "feeling" of making progress, you just get a new setup of seemingly randomly distributed colored targets, and a new distribution of ships for each one. It honestly kind of feels like you set it up to go infinitely long (which is cool) with a few lines of code to randomly generate a few things. That's great for an extra mode, but if that is the core of the game, it needs to grab people a bit more. The strategy is nice and all, but it is not going to have a super-long retention as-is. My personal advise (after having thought on it for all of 30 seconds :P) would be to keep what you've got, since it's nice, but you need another game mode that actually shows progression. Something where I can see the previous levels I've done, preferably be able to replay them and get a better score, a story (even if it's really rudimentary) would be nice. It could be I'm unique in this, but I really like the concept and gameplay, but the way it is just feels almost incomplete. And it will get boring.

Even just a basic, randomly generated "mission description" or such with a log of past missions. Just something. You've got a story in the OP here, but as far as I can tell, that is no where in the actual game.

I am... concerned about the difficulty. You say it scales to our "skill," and if that is actually working, then cool. But if it isn't, there will be issues. I don't think I'm very good at the game, haha. So I've had issues sometimes with completing yellow/red missions, which is fine. I feel like it would be really easy to suddenly get screwed because I'm earning like 50% of what I should have been by a certain point. I already felt the need to cheat once :P. Also, I have no idea how my score is determined at the end of missions.

On that note, the general lack of a tutorial, how to, options menu, etc is noticeable and makes the game feel a bit less professional.

Oh, a very easy way to make the game a lot more appealing? So, you've got a small fleet of ships, each individually customized, etc. I want to give them names. And I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Overall, it's a cool game that just feels like you haven't fleshed it out as much as it deserves. But talking about it made me want to play more, so that's always a good sign :D

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Morblitz wrote: »
    I gave it a quick go. I don't know if it's just me but I found the weapons to be a little unclear and just kind of figured out that they fire automatically when you get to a certain distance to an enemy at a certain angle. I don't know, maybe making it a bit more informative or interactive could be handy? Like a firing arc and maybe even an option to tell the ship when to fire and at which target, if there are multiple?
    I'm still yet to really explore the game but this is just something that I immediately noticed, and again it could just be me.

Yes, the ships will automatically fire when they get within range of a target. You can increase their Range in the shop, which will allow them to fire a greater distance (do not underestimate the usefulness of this). I'll see what we can do about displaying a firing arc. That comes down to a design issue. (When do we display the firing arc, how do we do it without cluttering the play area, etc.)
    kime wrote: »
    Is it the price of a certain ship? :P
    ...maybe
    I'm finding it very difficult to set courses for battleships. It can take me quite a while to find the sweet spot that lets me move the arrow.

Yes, the larger ships are slower and have less maneuverability (turning radius). You can improve it by upgrading their Speed and Maneuverability in the shop, but the Fighters and Cruisers will always be easier to maneuver.
    EDIT: Re-reading this. You mean the arrow is difficult to click? That seems odd, but its possibly an overlap on the ship itself. I'll look into it. Thanks!
    First thought: it appears to not want to rotate the screen so that I can have my iPad the way I want it (it is landscape, but upside down :()

Ah. We had to lock the rotation while waiting for the Unity engine to release their latest update (compatibility with iOS6). I'll talk to the programmer about freeing this up in an update soon.

This is great feedback. Thank you very much!

If you have more thoughts, bugs, suggestions, etc. please let me know on our forum, or send an email to feedback@pillar4games.com.

One more Promo Code left!

khanstruct on
  • Options
    Oh yeah, something else I wanted to ask about. Are there any thoughts on multiplayer in the future? It seems like that would be a great option, particularly asynchronous play (of which I'm a fan :P). I dunno how much fun it would actually be, though, depends on how much is skill-based and how much depends on other factors, I'd think? I'd encourage you guys to look into that though :)

Steam profile
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Oh yeah, something else I wanted to ask about. Are there any thoughts on multiplayer in the future? It seems like that would be a great option, particularly asynchronous play (of which I'm a fan :P). I dunno how much fun it would actually be, though, depends on how much is skill-based and how much depends on other factors, I'd think? I'd encourage you guys to look into that though :)

It is an idea we've kicked around a bit, but will be further down the road if we decide to do it. We do, however, have another Starfall game in the pipeline that is multiplayer.

P.S. We have been made aware of a bug in the game which prevents the "mission phase" from resetting. This prevents you from taking another turn, and you're forced to exit the mission. We're still working on tracking down this bug, but we do know that it has something to do with using the Archer Missiles. It will be fixed soon.

Just giving everyone a heads up. We've submitted an update, which should be approved in the next few days. This update will fix several issues.
    * Archer Missiles will no longer freeze your missions (who says nuclear deterrents don't work)
    * Battleships will no longer be free (sorry guys)
    * Firing Arcs have been added to show your ship's weapon range
    * The game will now rotate to display properly on your iPads

Again, this update should be up later this week (early next week at the latest).

Thanks for your patience everyone! Please, keep the feedback coming. As you can see, it really helps to improve the game.

khanstruct on
  • Options
    WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I tried it out last night for a bit and it seems like a neat idea.

One issue I started to have a bit in though was that the arrow for movement wouldnt let me pick a direction. I was stuck only being able to turn left. Happened a few times but the next turn would be fine.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Options
    Weretaco wrote: »
    I tried it out last night for a bit and it seems like a neat idea.

One issue I started to have a bit in though was that the arrow for movement wouldnt let me pick a direction. I was stuck only being able to turn left. Happened a few times but the next turn would be fine.

Check the status of your ship. Chances are, that's a feature working as intended: your ship got damaged! I've noticed damage in the engines (lot less distance on the arrows), turning, guns, etc. They get repaired eventually.

Steam profile
  • Options
    Even just a basic, randomly generated "mission description" or such with a log of past missions. Just something. You've got a story in the OP here, but as far as I can tell, that is no where in the actual game.

This was something I wanted to do initially, but we were simply running short on time. I am, however, planning on putting more pre-built/storyline missions in a future update. These will be handcrafted missions that provide more resources as well as Achievements when completed. These missions will appear when the player has met specific criteria (earned X total resources, purchase X ship, etc.) So it is planned.
    I am... concerned about the difficulty. You say it scales to our "skill," and if that is actually working, then cool. But if it isn't, there will be issues. I don't think I'm very good at the game, haha. So I've had issues sometimes with completing yellow/red missions, which is fine. I feel like it would be really easy to suddenly get screwed because I'm earning like 50% of what I should have been by a certain point. I already felt the need to cheat once :P. Also, I have no idea how my score is determined at the end of missions.

Your score is determined by comparing the amount of damage you delivered to the enemy vs. the amount of damage you received. The "Threat Level 1" missions should generally remain easy to accomplish, so if you find you've made some fatal error and backed yourself into a corner, just complete a few of those to get your Resources back up and get you back in the fight. Typically, this shouldn't happen though... I'm glad you're nervous about it though :P
    Oh, a very easy way to make the game a lot more appealing? So, you've got a small fleet of ships, each individually customized, etc. I want to give them names. And I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Interesting idea...

• Options
    I just noticed an issue. When you exit from a fight, whatever lasers were currently already fired, will still be present in your next game.
    I just had a go at fighting an orange dreadnought, it sent a barrage of lasers at me from long range. I said 'fuck, no' and exited it, and tried a green fight. When I went in, the lasers were still on the way and obliterated me as soon as I started the fight.

• Options
    I just noticed an issue. When you exit from a fight, whatever lasers were currently already fired, will still be present in your next game.
    I just had a go at fighting an orange dreadnought, it sent a barrage of lasers at me from long range. I said 'fuck, no' and exited it, and tried a green fight. When I went in, the lasers were still on the way and obliterated me as soon as I started the fight.

Whoops. Thanks Morblitz. I'll be sure that gets fixed in the next update. My condolences to the families of your fleet. :(

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    I tried to use the fifth code, but someone grabbed it already.

From the screenshots it looks like ship movement is similar to Crimson: Steam Pirates. Is that the case? Once I got the hang of that control scheme, I really enjoyed it.

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    I tried to use the fifth code, but someone grabbed it already.

How rude.
    From the screenshots it looks like ship movement is similar to Crimson: Steam Pirates. Is that the case? Once I got the hang of that control scheme, I really enjoyed it.

It was influenced by Steambirds, as well as the ship combat from some fan-made X-Com clones. I'm actually not familiar with Crimson. I just checked out a video of it though, and I would say yes, it does look like it does use similar mechanics. Thanks!

• Options
    OminousLozengeOminousLozenge Registered User regular
    It was influenced by Steambirds, as well as the ship combat from some fan-made X-Com clones. I'm actually not familiar with Crimson. I just checked out a video of it though, and I would say yes, it does look like it does use similar mechanics. Thanks!

Very cool. I'll have to check this out when I get back to my iPad :)

Sometimes I have ideas for things.
  • Options
    edited October 2012

Whoops. Thanks Morblitz. I'll be sure that gets fixed in the next update. My condolences to the families of your fleet. :(

Many letters were sent that day.

I must say I am enjoying the game thus far. Despite the repetitive nature of the game- which I don't mind, It's a good thing you can just pick up and play for a bit if you feel like it, and you aren't committed to any serious time investment. Good for study breaks!

One thing I will say though is the enemy fleet is predictable 100% of the time. Whenever I have a fight with some battleships and a dreadnought, all I do is let one of my fighters get ahead of my fleet a little bit, and capture their attention. I then set the fighter on a course away from the fight and promptly forget about it entirely and focus the rest of my fleet on lazily coming up behind the big ships who are currently completely ignoring them, and blowing them to kingdom come. When I've killed the big ships, I tell my fighter to loop back around, and the fighters that are chasing him will run right into my battleships.

Every fight operates in basically the same manner. Except when there are environmental hazards like asteroids that spawn in my immediate vicinity at the start of the game that limits my initial fleet movements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun, I'm just noting that every fight appears to be subject to the same strategy without variation. I'm not really sure what could be done about it, either. So, sorry if the input isn't particularly useful.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    It's different enough for me. I'm really not good at this game :lol:

Steam profile
  • Options
    Every fight operates in basically the same manner. Except when there are environmental hazards like asteroids that spawn in my immediate vicinity at the start of the game that limits my initial fleet movements.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having fun, I'm just noting that every fight appears to be subject to the same strategy without variation. I'm not really sure what could be done about it, either. So, sorry if the input isn't particularly useful.

Thanks. Perhaps one thing we could do is randomize the placement of the enemy ships (some appearing behind you, to the left, right, etc.) Note taken!

• Options
    edited October 2012
    In that regard, do you think it might be a reasonable option to customise the layout of the fleet? As in, your fleet arrangement is solely predicted by the order in which you bought your ships. I don't want my dreadnought to be on the very right end of my fleet simply because it's the last ship I bought, I want it in the middle, so it isn't automatically face to face with the enemy dreadnought every time. I was disappointed that I couldn't go into the store, look at the fleet arrangement, and drag the ship over to the position I wanted. It just seems to me like you should be able to do that, you know?

Morblitz on
  • Options
    In that regard, do you think it might be a reasonable option to customise the layout of the fleet? As in, your fleet arrangement is solely predicted by the order in which you bought your ships. I don't want my dreadnought to be on the very right end of my fleet simply because it's the last ship I bought, I want it in the middle, so it isn't automatically face to face with the enemy dreadnought every time. I was disappointed that I couldn't go into the store, look at the fleet arrangement, and drag the ship over to the position I wanted. It just seems to me like you should be able to do that, you know?

Hmm, also an interesting idea. Actually positioning them in the field would require some significant work, but I think we could manage the arrangement within the shop. I'll have to discuss that with the programmer. Thanks again!

• Options
    Update 1.0.2 is now available. This update fixes the major bugs, like the Archer Missiles locking up the game, and the Battleship being free. We've also added "firing arcs" for you, Morblitz. And Kime, it should now rotate properly on your iPad.

We're also putting the finishing touches on Update 1.0.3 now, which will fix the "ghost laser" bug, and add a bit more strategy to each mission.

Keep the thoughts coming, guys. It really helps!

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Oh that sounds cool. I'll give it a spin.
    Also, I was going to mention - but maybe it's because I havn't updated the game, I booted it up today and found that my destroyer, one that I bought and spent so much money on fully upgrading, has been deleted. I now have an empty slot.
    I wasn't too pleased. I'll see what happens when I update the game though.

edit: Nope, it's still gone. Goodbye, expensive destroyer :(

On the flipside the arcs look good and I found them to be very helpful. Thank you for giving that a try.
    I've found it to be pretty useful for planning my ship movements out, I know what the ranges are now and can act accordingly.

Morblitz on
  • Options
    So either I found a bug or I just spent 70 game bucks obtaining and upgrading a rental destroyer.
    This is the second time the games gone 'NOPE' a short amount of time after I've bought one, and replaces it with an empty fleet spot.

• Options
    So either I found a bug or I just spent 70 game bucks obtaining and upgrading a rental destroyer.
    This is the second time the games gone 'NOPE' a short amount of time after I've bought one, and replaces it with an empty fleet spot.

Ugh... so very bad. I'll look into it and be sure its fixed in the next update. Sorry. And thank you!

• Options
    If it helps, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the bug occurs when my destroyer is, well, destroyed in battle. If I am recalling correctly, the game seems to then delete it from my fleet. That isn't supposed to happen, right, ships don't have a certain amount of lives?

• Options
    If it helps, I'm not 100% sure, but I think the bug occurs when my destroyer is, well, destroyed in battle. If I am recalling correctly, the game seems to then delete it from my fleet. That isn't supposed to happen, right, ships don't have a certain amount of lives?

Correct; once you buy a ship, its yours until you sell it (or start a new game). We've tracked down that bug, and also discovered some other small "save game" bugs. These, along with some other bug fixes (the ghost lasers) and new features will be in update 1.0.3, which should be out by the end of next week.

Keep the feedback coming, and let me know if you find any other bugs. We've also been working on the big "Elite Content" update, which will have a ton of new features, so feel free to throw out any off-the-wall ideas that you'd like to see in the game. Thanks!

• Options
    edited October 2012
    So what is the extent of the destroyer bug? Should we just not get destroyers until 1.0.3? And if you don't mind answering - and in layman's terms, what causes them to get deleted?

Morblitz on
  • Options
    Yes. Do not buy them until 1.0.3 comes out (later this week). In layman's terms, they weren't being saved. :(

• Options
    Update 1.0.3 is now available! Not only are there some serious bug fixes, but we've also improved the strategy elements by adding in varied enemy deployment. Thanks again, Morblitz! Go grab your copy!

P.S. We are looking into being able to change the arrangement of your own fleet. As I suspected, its a bit of a trickier issue. But know that it is something we're looking into!

• Options
    Cheers, will do. This varied enemy deployment thing is relevant to my interests.

• Options
    Oh shit so my second battle in the new patch, the enemy fleet spawn in fucking behind me.
    You evil bastard, @Khanstruct.
    That's an awesome and challenging feature that breaks up the monotony of the same layout over and over. I have the game paused, I'm about to go back and figure out how to get out of this ambush. Here we go. Definitely did not expect this.

• Options
    And that's just the beginning. Let me know if it gets too hard for ya. ;)
    Ok, back to work! More to come.

• Options
    edited November 2012
    For those who don't yet follow me on Twitter (https://twitter.com/pillar4) it turns out that the programmer has gone behind my back and completely rewritten Starfall: Ronin from the ground up. He didn't say anything to me because he suspected I would have said no... he was probably right.

What this means for you, however, is not only a much more streamlined and bug-free game, but this new design also allows for easy integration with our upcoming "Elite Content". Part of this update is already in and being tested! I'll let you know once this update is ready. Stay tuned!

khanstruct on
  • Options
    Just jumping in to let you all know that version 2.0 will be available soon. This is your last chance to grab a copy at the introductory price of $0.99!

New ships, new abilities, new battlegrounds, and new mission types! Take your fleet into low orbit to battle raiders, laser tanks and destroy enemy buildings. Use the abilities of your new ships to make your fleet unstoppable. "Scramble Drones" with your Carrier, fire a barrage of the new "Guided Missiles" into battle and lay waste to your enemies with the new "Nova Bomb". Three new ships, five new abilities and countless new strategies await you in this latest update of Starfall: Ronin.

Redesigned Interface with New Graphics and Layout
    Player Ship Placement (manage your own fleets formation!)
    Exclusive Ship Abilities (Each ship now has an ability exclusive to that ship)
    Planetary Missions
    Three New Ship Types
    Five New Abilities
    Five New Enemies
    Destructible Enemy Buildings
    New Mission Types
    New Environmental Hazards

All this new info will be detailed on the upcoming new design of our website, as well as information on our next big project. Let me know what you think! And thanks for the support.