As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

G&T Secret Santa 2012: He'll be back again some day.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Bad experiences do exist, but they seem to be pretty rare.

And like most have said, the stalking and gifting is the fun part.

Steam: offday
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    My first SS was last year and my santee didn't post whether he'd received the gifts or not. I'm going with 'I sent terrible stuff and should be ashamed of myself' as the reason for a lack of post. That said, if I had the means I would totally be doing this. It was incredibly good fun researching (read; stalking) my santee and I got back some great presents from my SS. Hope you guys have fun though!

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    I did this two years, in fact I got gabe one year and still have the card with a drawing in it of gabe framed on my desk at work. I missed two years but I'm back in this year. So excited!!

• StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Grove wrote: »
    I did this the past two years, but I'm hesitant to do it again. The first year was fantastic, but last year was a real letdown. I know it's about giving, and while I was happy to gift Skyrim to my Santee which was awesome, I was given an intentionally terrible gift, designed to disappoint.

Granted we can all get terrible gifts or something we don't like which is fine and I wouldn't be upset about it, but gifting someone something intentionally bad is just pathetic. I literally threw it away as soon as I got it.

I don't know, I think I'm gonna chew it over for a week or two.

I enjoy the participation. The stalking, the gifting, THEN the anticipation of knowing you yourself are a santee. It's cool the way people get creative or dialed in to what you like. That's what makes it worth it to me. Otherwise I'd just as soon give the $60 to a friend in real life.
    If you think my gift was sincerely bad, and if you actually threw it away, then you are a gigantic fucking idiot and will be banned from all future Secret Santas.

That should make the decision REAL fucking easy for you.

YL9WnCY.png
    That was a $60 board game, just by the way. So I hope you are being cute.

YL9WnCY.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I hope he's kidding, unless the game hurt him in some way and that gift triggered him some how.

Edit: Wait, are board games the new books? Also, is Lewie's Mom joining up again this year? I remember her getting nothing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    photo-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
    My faith in you all is restored.

YL9WnCY.png
    edited September 2012
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    My faith in you all is restored.

Love you :)

Actually, I believe I still have some coal sitting in the candy drawer now that I think about it.

Grove on
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    That got intense.

Everything ends well in Christmas Town.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    @Hypatia I was wrong about the inaccuracies, but I edited a few lines to try to make make it slightly less overwritten. I also added pictures that show what it looks like from the recipient's perspective.
    Q) How does sending a gift by e-mail work?
    A) The e-mail that Steam sends contains a button with an activation URL. (the one that says "Yes, I have Steam" in the first picture below)

A snippet of the e-mail that steam sends.

A screenshot of the window that pops up in steam after the activation URL is opened. If the recipient clicks "Accept", they're given the option to either add it to their library or add it to their inventory.

Q) So.. if the e-mail just contains a URL, can I e-mail the gift to myself, copy the URL, and send it to my Santee another way?
    A) Absolutely. You can send the URL via proxy or even send it in the mail. Just be aware of the possibility that your Santee might buy the game in a sale before they get the URL!

Q) Does my Santee need a Steam account to receive a Steam gift?
    A) Nope! If they click the "No, I do not have Steam" button it will send them to a registration form.

Q) Do I need to e-mail the gift to the same address that my Santee's Steam account was created with?
    A) Nope!

Q) Will sending a Steam gift reveal my identity?
    A) Yes. Your Santee will see your Steam community name and the e-mail address that your account was registered with. Even if your change your community profile name, they can look at the previous names you've used.

Q) How can I send a Steam gift anonymously?
    A) The only way to do this is to register a brand new Steam account with an e-mail address that can't be traced back to you. Remember to remove your credit card info before you let the account rot! To do this, go to the Account tab in the settings and click "view account history."

Q) Help! The e-mail with the activation code has gone missing! And/or my Santee already owns the game I gifted!
    A) Open your Steam Inventory (Games > Manage Gifts and Guest Passes). You can re-send the gift from there. If they already own the game you sent, you can send it to someone else or keep it for yourself.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I was on the fence, but tnspired by Grove and Rorus' exchange, I think I'm going to participate. I live in Japan, but I think I'll be in America for the holidays so I'll just give both addresses and let them ship to the cheapest one. I'll send a PM later.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

I love Christmas.

When should Croco take off his top hat and put on a santa hat?

anoffday on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    anoffday wrote: »

I love Christmas.

RIGHT NOW!

Do you need one with a hat or do you already have one?

Friendly reminder: If I made a hat for you in the past, and you are still using the same avatar, it's probably on my Photobucket. It should be shared so you can use it. The "Gift Get" images should be there too, but we won't need those for another month at least.

They were made for the old forum though, so they aren't high quality like the new ones can be.

edit: I'm also glad the whole terrible gift thing was a joke. I couldn't get to the old thread to confirm one way or the other and there was no picture after the trash picture.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Signing up for the third year. I like to think that my last two santees were more than satisfied with the things I got for them, let's do it a third time!

B6yM5w2.gif
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    anoffday wrote: »

I love Christmas.

RIGHT NOW!

Do you need one with a hat or do you already have one?

Friendly reminder: If I made a hat for you in the past, and you are still using the same avatar, it's probably on my Photobucket. It should be shared so you can use it. The "Gift Get" images should be there too, but we won't need those for another month at least.

They were made for the old forum though, so they aren't high quality like the new ones can be.

edit: I'm also glad the whole terrible gift thing was a joke. I couldn't get to the old thread to confirm one way or the other and there was no picture after the trash picture.

I need one. Make Croco look good please!

Threw my name into the hat. I was a little hesitant since I need to get a new car, but I think it will be ok. I just won't be able to go bonkers with the gifting.

soempty.jpg
    Last year was the year of Skyrim. Maybe this year will be cars. You never know. You better sign up just in case.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Well we've had the year of the PS3, and the year of World War Z.

Year of the Steam Box PC!

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    Finished signing up! Year 3 here we go.

Oh and just having a bit of fun earlier. Last year was fun. My only real let down was I broke down and just sent my santee Skyrim through steam. I wanted something for him to unwrap...but I mean come on. Skyrim.

Anyways, if you're on the fence jump in. It's good clean (mostly) fun and is pretty enjoyable to stalk on the forum. A nice distraction to kill a little time leading up to the holidays.

Grove wrote: »
    Finished signing up! Year 3 here we go.

Oh and just having a bit of fun earlier. Last year was fun. My only real let down was I broke down and just sent my santee Skyrim through steam. I wanted something for him to unwrap...but I mean come on. Skyrim.

Anyways, if you're on the fence jump in. It's good clean (mostly) fun and is pretty enjoyable to stalk on the forum. A nice distraction to kill a little time leading up to the holidays.

The mention of "stalk" and "kill" in a single post probably landed you a spot on 5 government lists. :P

And being down on yourself for sending skyrim is silly! Though I can relate, I suppose. I was a little bummed last year that I couldn't come up with anything original and relied on my Santee's wishlists for shopping ideas.

soempty.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Wait so Grove actually liked the gift? It wasn't intentionally bad?

I am so confused

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    was this the thread last year with a lot of discussion about how we where all probably now on some government watch list because of all the red flag keywords popping up?

• Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    Wait, are board games the new books?

Board games are awesome, as are books, and will always be ahead of bleach.

6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Note to my Santa: Please, no board games

• Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    now I HAVE to sign up so i can send UV all board games

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Books are gay. So I'm told.

I've had to sit out the last few years, I'll have to see how things go regarding money this year before fully commiting but I've always enjoyed it. Every single year I've been impressed (one year I got gifted a load of SNES games, including Earthbound).

Also, ANNOUNCEMENT, whomever gets JAEF, please send him UK chocolate. If you don't live in the UK then send me his address and I'll send him UK chocolate on your behalf!

Man, that was back in 2008. I made a LittleBigPlanet Secret Santa Xmas card for him, which he then made an awesome youtube video of:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otNrZeBuOxY

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Note to my Santa: Please, no board games

If I sign up, it's a law of the universe that we'll get each other this year.

forumsig.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    There must be a boardgame about books.

The gayest gift.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    What about a book called Boardgayming? **world ends**

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Boardgames are awesome. Just getting a package in the mail with something that was bought by someone who only knows your online personality/interests is very interesting and exciting. Then again, I'm the kind of idiot that when I order stuff I almost break my F5 key tracking it online - I love getting mail.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    i have a feeling anyone who knew my online personality would buy me a big collection of stress balls

• crucialityfactorcrucialityfactor Registered User regular
    After a year off my Christmas Spirit has been restored. Let the gifting commence!

• AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    I predict at least one crazy fucker will gift a Wii U

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
    edited October 2012
    Board games are rad, but I only get to pull out my collection a few times a year since the people I usually play with are in different states. It might take me a while to get some use out of it if I ended up getting one.

There must be a boardgame about books.

The gayest gift.

Dear UV's Santa...

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular

Not me...

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »

Not me...

So someone is getting 2 WiiU's then.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    I am so in, I love secret santa time. Even though I always end up procrastinating too much.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • PrimePrime UKRegistered User regular
    I just signed up, did my first 4 years ago got a nice gift, 3 years ago I got a deadbeat but an easter bunny made it up to me. Had two years off but im back on it this year.

Friendly note to potential santa:
    I have gained lots of G1 Transformer stuff over the years, not that I wont appriciate something odd/unique, just you know...variety is the spice of life :P

Signed up to be an easter bunny too, seems the least I could do since one made my day that last time.