As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It's really dumb!

And I left out that if you fail the check (roll + bonuses is less than the DC) you make no progress for the week, and if you fail by 5 or more you ruin half the raw materials and need to pay that cost again.

Also if you want you can check for progress by day, instead of by week, so then you divide the DC * Check Result progress value by 7 each time. And then roll over and over to add up each day's progress.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    I mean I get that they're trying to make a system where an item can be expensive because it's very hard to make and if something is both expensive and easy to make then it takes a long time but holy hell this is a mess.

Something like this should be one check, and the result of it determines both success, and how long it takes. Like, give an item a set creation time, and each point beyond the DC reduces that time by a percentage or something.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I'm playing a weekly pathfinder game, it's good times and I like the system for the most part

but

the crafting rules fucking blow. My character is an alchemist, and I wanted to make some tanglefoot bags. This is how that goes down.

1) look up the price of the item (50g) and pay 1/3rd of that for raw materials
    2) work out the cost of the item, in silver, so 500sp
    3) Look up the Difficulty Class (under the Crafting skill entry) of the item you wish to make (in this case 25)
    4) Roll a Craft (Alchemy) skill check. I actually got a natural 20 on this, and with my various bonuses due to masterwork equipment and being an Alchemist I got a 32
    5) Multiply your craft check result by the DC. This is how many silver worth of work you accomplished in a week (so 25 * 32 = 800) Which means I finished it in a week.
    6) Luckily, I'm an Alchemist and at 3rd level I can make alchemical items in half the normal time. The rules aren't clear on how to do this but my DM was nice enough to rule that it means I double the value result of step 5), making my check result 1600. As this is 3x the value of the item, I complete it in 1/3 of a week.

As if that wasn't unneccessarily complicated enough, if my skill was higher and I was confident enough to try and rush the job I could voluntarily add 10 to the DC, meaning I was multiplying my presumably higher roll by 35 instead of 25.
    magic items take way less time than mundane items fyi

Fearghaill wrote: »
    I mean I get that they're trying to make a system where an item can be expensive because it's very hard to make and if something is both expensive and easy to make then it takes a long time but holy hell this is a mess.

Something like this should be one check, and the result of it determines both success, and how long it takes. Like, give an item a set creation time, and each point beyond the DC reduces that time by a percentage or something.

it's called being a wizard and using http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/fabricate

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Mundane skills that approach/mimic magic have always sucked in fantasy RPGs. I've always wanted to play a talented stage magician, but when any mook wizard can just summon a tiger, it loses its charm.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Fabricate is such a fucking amazing spell

the sheer utility...

Solar wrote: »
    Fabricate is such a fucking amazing spell

the sheer utility...
    oh you wanted an adamantine suit of full plate? yeah that'll take a master months to craft

gimme 10 minutes

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    It sounds like I got it a little easier when it comes to making guns and ammo for my Gunslinger. I think anyway.
    Crafting Firearms: You can craft any early firearm for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. At your GM’s discretion, you can craft advanced firearms for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. Crafting a firearm in this way takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of the firearm’s price (minimum 1 day).

Crafting Ammunition: You can craft bullets, pellets, and black powder for a cost in raw materials equal to 10% of the price. If you have at least 1 rank in Craft (alchemy), you can craft alchemical cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the cartridge. At your GM’s discretion, you can craft metal cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the cost of the cartridge. Crafting bullets, black powder, or cartridges takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of ammunition (minimum 1 day).

Owenashi wrote: »
    It sounds like I got it a little easier when it comes to making guns and ammo for my Gunslinger. I think anyway.
    Crafting Firearms: You can craft any early firearm for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. At your GM’s discretion, you can craft advanced firearms for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the firearm. Crafting a firearm in this way takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of the firearm’s price (minimum 1 day).

Crafting Ammunition: You can craft bullets, pellets, and black powder for a cost in raw materials equal to 10% of the price. If you have at least 1 rank in Craft (alchemy), you can craft alchemical cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the price of the cartridge. At your GM’s discretion, you can craft metal cartridges for a cost in raw materials equal to half the cost of the cartridge. Crafting bullets, black powder, or cartridges takes 1 day of work for every 1,000 gp of ammunition (minimum 1 day).

gunslingers are a special case for a lot of reasons

PiptheFair wrote: »

I hope 'special' in a good way. Going through some posts in the Pathfinder thread over at SA paint the Gunslinger in a not very flattering picture. Ditto for monks.

One thing I'm happy about though, I just hit level 5 and my character got a lot more fun to play.

I'm an Alchemist/Ranger, and I just learned how to strap my alchemical bombs to longbow arrows. Fuck. Yes.

...my one regret is not looking closely at the Archaeologist archetype for Bards. I assumed it was a bookish historian deal, when it's actually a "Dr. Jones" deal.

also, let me say this: fuck Synthesist-type Summoners and their ridiculous broken nature. Basically they're a summoner who instead of having an extradimensional pet, instead wears an extradimensional creature as a sort of magical power-armor. They get the physical attributes of the summoned creature, their own mental attributes (meaning no bad stats), combined health pool, multiple natural attacks/round, and assorted other bonuses like faster movement speed.

we had an awesome half-orc monk in my game and he was awesome.

He went with the maneuver master archetype, and combat for him basically amounted to 1) grab enemy 2) power attack held enemy repeatedly. This was funniest when it was an Iron Snake construct, that was supposed to be a difficult fight as it slithered in and out of difficult terrain/concealment to hit and run, poisoning us each time. Except the monk got his hands on it, and then held it there until it was dead.

synthesists are what you play if you really hate your dm

also there are 3 monk archetypes that are not objectively shit
    zen archer(best ranged martial class in the game aside from very specific high lvl gunslinger builds)
    flowing monk
    tetori

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    The word "build" scares me when it's about a tabletop RPG

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Dubh wrote: »

it really REALLY only applies to gunslingers because of how feat starved they are

and kinda sorta fighters/rangers based on what feat trees/paths you wanna go down

it really REALLY only applies to gunslingers because of how feat starved they are

Gunslingers don't get a lot of feats? Because according to my DM, I'll be able to rack up fifteen between the natural ones I get via leveling and the five extra from being a Gunslinger. Is fifteen feats a low number?

Gunslingers don't get a lot of feats? Because according to my DM, I'll be able to rack up fifteen between the natural ones I get via leveling and the five extra from being a Gunslinger. Is fifteen feats a low number?

the relevant amount is how many you get before lvl 8-10

and gunraver pistolleros need A LOT of feats

I hope 'special' in a good way. Going through some posts in the Pathfinder thread over at SA paint the Gunslinger in a not very flattering picture. Ditto for monks.

slingers have 2 builds that are not complete shit

musket master (which does not require very many feats to work but does not get into full swing until about lvl5)
    and the "gunraver" which is a dual-wield pistollero that requires A TON of feats to make work and takes till like lvl9 to not suck, but when it gets going it vomits out a lvl9, 9 1d8+10ish attacks a round that all hit touch AC

monks are pretty bad except for the 3 archetypes I already listed which are all amazing

• EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My wife and I play in a Pathfinder game that runs a couple times a month, generally in marathon 7 or 8 hour sessions. The GM's cribbing from some modules, but most of it he's writing as we go, which is resulting in some interesting campaign directions. The latest run-in we had was with a powerful chap whose town we were retaking, who made us a very civilized offer. This was all cut short when our resident cleric nailed him with a slung stone before any of us could stop him. So I'm betting that'll turn out well.

My wife plays a goblin bard, and I'm playing a gnome barbarian. We've also got a Fire Genasi rogue, a Half Orc Cleric, and an adolescent Human Monk.

Arcane magic? Pfah, who needs it.

I massively enjoyed playing that monk archetype that starts off with elemental strike

once I got to higher levels, I could do some pretty hefty damage, especially since the GM let me use gloves

Anyway, he was a lot of fun. An Aasimar Monk, child of the spirits, who was on a journey of enlightenment and universal understanding. Spoke mostly in koans, I bought a book of zen quotations and fished them out regularly at the table, to the amusement and frustration of all.

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Mundane skills that approach/mimic magic have always sucked in fantasy RPGs. I've always wanted to play a talented stage magician, but when any mook wizard can just summon a tiger, it loses its charm.
    D&D isn't all fantasy RPGs.

Also, Monks are terrible and PF's main designer seems to have a massive hate-on for them for some reason, and Gunslingers are bad unless you houserule how guns work, at which point they become decent.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682

Also, Monks are terrible and PF's main designer seems to have a massive hate-on for them for some reason, and Gunslingers are bad unless you houserule how guns work, at which point they become decent.

you do not need to houserule guns at all

and there are good monk archetypes(and base monk iss better than 3.x which is still not saying much)

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I am mistaken, I forgot guns were basically crossbows that hit touch AC and can explode on you. Which seems fine.

I also forgot that one of the Gunslinger's level 3 deeds was "spend a grit point to use your standard action on a single melee attack with either a small or large club"

you can also buy a magical enhancement that reduces the chance they misfire

and the only way they are exploding is being dumb and firing after you already have the broken condition

• ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Hey guys

How the hell does D&D Encounters work?

There's apparently a comic book shop not far from where I'm moving that does weekly games

And part of me is considering doing it just as a way to meet new people

But I have no idea what it is even

wotc sends out adventure module type things to the store

you come in and play

that's it

it's a pretty cool way to get people to play

I am mistaken, I forgot guns were basically crossbows that hit touch AC and can explode on you. Which seems fine.

I also forgot that one of the Gunslinger's level 3 deeds was "spend a grit point to use your standard action on a single melee attack with either a small or large club"

I picked out a Dagger and a Boarding Axe for my Gunslinger to have on me in case an enemy gets close enough for a melee attack. Better to use one of those then to spend a precious Grit point on something that seems like it should be doable for free already.

Tox wrote: »
    Honestly if you can get into Living Forgotten Realms, it's usually better. For instance, here, Encounters is pretty much cub scouts. Like, nobody playing is over 12 years old. LFR is much bigger, and a much better way to meet other gamers.

I especially prefer LFR because you're far less limited by source, so it's far easier to tell who's just there to powergame, and who's there to explore character ideas (most are still highly optimized, but that's mostly because of public play).

see here this is our primary DnD thing

we have/had a group on wednesdays that played every week and did the thing, partly because we'd get new people in and they'd take turns DMing for the new people to get them into it and basically learn them a tabletop game and then they'd jump into whatever big game someone was running

the one week they didn't have a DM for the newbie group and one guy was being pissy about how it'd take them to create new PCs at whatever level and everyone else basically told him to shut up the new people could join in

that owned

Are there alternate takes on D&D? I've heard of stuff like Advanced D&D, Forgotten Realms and Ravencroft in connection to the game but I've never really looked into it.

Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft are different settings

someone else explain the AD&D/D&D thing because that's a piece of nerd history i'm bad at

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular

I have played a lot more fantasy RPGs than D&D

That phrasing was intentional

Buttlord wrote: »
    Forgotten Realms and Ravenloft are different settings

someone else explain the AD&D/D&D thing because that's a piece of nerd history i'm bad at

Partially to differentiate it from Basic D&D, partially to screw Dave Arneson out of royalties.

yeah i knew the royalties thing, i've just never understood the D&D/AD&D distinction beyond "fuck you dave it's my money"

Its was mostly just branding.

I have played a lot more fantasy RPGs than D&D

That phrasing was intentional

Like what? There's plenty of fantasy games with alternative magic systems that turn casting into a challenging/dangerous thing. Effortlessly pointing and there suddenly being a tiger is mostly a thing from D&D and the imitators that took the vancian system and ran with it.

I really want to play a game where I am a God/God-like being

I feel like there is a lot of mileage to get from that kind of thing

edited October 2012

Nobilis

Warning: Moran/Borgstrom

Der Waffle Mous on
    Oh you can be damn sure that I want to play Nobilis

it's just finding a group that is the problem

nobilis

also Mage

i mean it's not so much that you're godlike, more that you can tell the universe to suck your dick and as long as other people can't see it the universe will bascally be like aight

if you make a scene in front of other people though

hoo boy

also the right way to use paradox rules is to stack effects

There's this game from the people that made WoD called Exalted. Seems to be what you're looking for.

psion and exalted

edited October 2012
    I know all these games!

I just want to actually play them

because they seem cool

And I have ran Mage but not for a long time

White Wolf are always good for saying "here is loads of power, explore themes!" in principle

usually they need a little time and effort to actually make work

Exalted 3rd ed will hopefully be the hot, hot shit that I have always desired though

Solar on
This discussion has been closed.