As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League: East 2013! LEGENDS!

ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader!Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in PAX East
LegendsSplashWeb.png

What is the PAX Pokemon League?
The PAX Pokemon League is a weekend-long alternate reality game played at PAX! Gym leaders wander the convention center halls, ready to battle upstart young challengers like you! Find them and defeat them in battle, and you'll receive their badge. If you can collect eight gym badges, you'll earn the right to find and challenge the Elite Four, and the Champion, for the right to be crowned champion yourself!

Battles can take place anywhere at PAX, and are conducted using Pokemon Black or White. Note that this is NOT a tournament: just like in the game, ANYONE can train a team of their favorite Pokemon and challenge the League. We plan to have gym leaders at many difficulty levels, so everyone has a chance to live the Pokemon dream!

A little more info...
This will be the sixth outing for the PAX Pokemon League. Started at PAX Prime 2010 by the dedicated Professor Pine, and with the support of a small group of dedicated leaders, the PAX Pokemon League has grown and continues to grow each year! Hundreds of challengers have taken challenge, proving themselves in battle and earning countless badges. But only a scant handful have managed to ascend the ranks and defeat the champion... and you could be next among them!

What do I need to participate?
All that is required is a copy of Pokemon Black or Pokemon White, keen eyesight*, and a love of Pokemon Battle! Gym leaders will be all over PAX, and can be identified by their bright green scarves. Approach them, challenge them to a battle, and if they deem you worthy, you'll earn their badge! No need to sign up or anything, just find a gym leader and start battling!

*Note: Keen Eyesight only required to see neon green scarves in a sea of black t-shirts.

If, however, you want to know more about the league, join the community of challengers, and find information and hints that will help you locate and identify the gym leaders... well, you should visit our site where in the coming months we're going to be revealing leader profiles, detailed rules, and other fun things. We've also got a twitter account (@PAXPokemon) where gym leaders will often post their locations as they wander the con, and a Facebook group (http://www.facebook.com/pages/PAX-Pokemon-League/139432372766011) where if you like us you can see news, and pictures from previous years’ leagues!

What are the rules?
The rules have been posted at http://paxpokemonleague.net/rules/ (pending any updates caused by the release of Black 2 and White 2).

What do I win?
Those who conquer the league will win eternal glory as a champion, being immortalized in the Hall of Fame, along with respect from their peers, and the ability to be forced to sit through the game's credits sequence.

Also, there may be some prizes...

That sounds awesome, can I help?
We’re looking for gym leaders! See the second post in this thread!

We are also looking for outgoing people interested in becoming leaders! Details on leader applications will be posted in the very next post!

That's great, but what is this thread for?
This is the place to interact with challengers and leaders! We're always looking for cool ideas to improve the league, or input on rules that will help make the league more fun.

We also want to spread the word about the league! Tell us if you have any ideas about people we should talk to to get the word out.

If nothing else, we're always up for discussions about shorts and how comfy and easy to wear they are. Or we can talk about how our Rattata is in the top percentage of all Rattata....

You guys are cool people, can I hang out with you?
You sure can! Visit our forums, follow our twitter or like our facebook page!

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
Propriety on

• ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    TRAINER NEWS!
    10/7: Leader applications have been reviewed and leaders have been selected. Check your application thread for results. Thanks to everyone who applied!

10/1: Leader applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied! We should have responses to everyone by 10/7.

9/18: This year's theme has been posted! Also, September is half over! If you're planning to apply to be a gym leader, be sure to get your application in soon!

9/3: Even if you're not interested in being a leader, be sure to check this thread in the coming weeks for some very exciting announcements about this year's theme... announcements you might even say were... legendary in scale.

WINK WINK

NUDGE NUDGE

HINT HINT

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • GIJoe68GIJoe68 Oceanus of the PAX Pokemon League Sevii IslandsRegistered User regular
    I'm so excited for this. I already put my application in!

• xenardxenard Registered User regular
    Working on mine now!

steam_sig.png
    3DS Friend Code: 2449-5711-0640
  • ShaderShader The Master Ranger Registered User regular
    Still excited from Prime, my application's in too!

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Well, we don't know when it's going to be, but this league will be the biggest and best one yet! Challengers can expect to battle furiously, find hordes of leaders, and even cooperate to find all the secrets of this year's league!

• VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    My application is in, now I wait with baited breath.

We've been getting some great applications! Very exciting. Remember you can modify your application at any time until September 31st by editing your submission thread!

We are currently having some technical issues on our forums, so if you'd like to sign up but can't register, please try again. If that still doesn't work, please send a PM to Propriety and I!

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    Thane Vector enjoyed his time at PAX Prime. He'd like to perform at PAX East. His booking agent is currently working out the details.

Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    Losar wrote: »
    Thane Vector enjoyed his time at PAX Prime. He'd like to perform at PAX East. His booking agent is currently working out the details.

Did you ever get that picture taken with Panther? :D

Also man, I better get moving! THE STUNFISK INVASION SHALL BE FEARED!

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    Actually, no. I even talked with him about the league and everything, but completely forgot the picture. Whoops!

Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Oh god, not the Stunfisk. ...Horrifying beasts...

The email problem on the forums has been sorted out! You should once again be able to get confirmation email when you register, and when you send/receive PMs! :D

This year's theme has been announced! LEGENDS!

LegendsSplashWeb.png
    Check it out!

• punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    Working on a gym leader app. Pick me, pick me!

HI3789R.png
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    Any chance that the PAX Pokemon League will be using Black and White 2? I have no interest in picking up Black/White, but I will definitely be getting White 2.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • ddrussianinjaddrussianinja Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »
    Any chance that the PAX Pokemon League will be using Black and White 2? I have no interest in picking up Black/White, but I will definitely be getting White 2.

Since the application says that the leaders will require a copy of Black 2 or White 2 (though it vaguely says that pending compatibility details may allow them to use the previous version if they wish), it's safe to assume that you will have no problem using White 2 in the League.

As far as we know, B/W2 will be fully compatible with B/W. If they are, you can choose to use any version you wish. If they aren't, we will choose B/W2 as our versions of choice and leaders must have one of those two.

There is only one week left for leader applications. If you're planning to apply, get your application in soon! :)

• credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Whoa, have been super-busy with grad school and almost missed this! Please approve my account on the PPL board so I can fill out an application...I'm glad I stopped by the PAX forum just to check.

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    Okay, posted my application! (There's some forum magic going on in there, so I hope I posted it correctly. Please tell me if I failed to do so.)

Getting all excited about PAX and it's 6 months from now. Sigh.
    I hope you accept my leader application!

Steam, LoL: credeiki
    Reminder! Applications to be a gym leader at PPL East 2013 close Sunday night! Get those applications in!

Leader applications are now closed. Thank you to everyone who applied! We should have responses to everyone by 10/7. We've got some tough choices to make, there were so many great applicants! <3

The suspense! Everyone make sure to put down your copy of BW2 to check your application!

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    It's 5 minutes since it's been 10/7... I'm waiting...

Just teasing (in case that wasn't obvious). Also I swear I wasn't stalking the forums for this moment. I was just on and noticed the date

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    I'M WORKING FURIOUSLY ON IT! Please stand by! :D

WHEW. OK. That only took about three hours, but they've all been posted. If you submitted an application, check your application thread for a reply.

If you were accepted, congratulations! Go follow the post instructions, we've got lots of work to do!
    If you weren't, I'm really sorry! It's always super hard to reject people, but at a certain point it's just too many leaders, you know? Nothing personal!

I have no regrets for the gym I will bring.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    This sounds like awesome fun, I will definitely be challenging some people. Will all battles be single or is doubles an option?

This sounds like awesome fun, I will definitely be challenging some people. Will all battles be single or is doubles an option?

That is up to the individual gym leaders! Suffice to say we've got more variation in play this year than we ever have before... man I cannot wait to reveal all these awesome gym leaders! I am itching to spill the beans! Itching like a vigoroth!

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote: »

That is up to the individual gym leaders! Suffice to say we've got more variation in play this year than we ever have before... man I cannot wait to reveal all these awesome gym leaders! I am itching to spill the beans! Itching like a vigoroth!

Does the event go on all three days? How will we know difference between a Gym Leader, Elite 4 and Champion? I mainly do doubles but wouldnt mind trying my hand at singles.

Does the event go on all three days? How will we know difference between a Gym Leader, Elite 4 and Champion? I mainly do doubles but wouldnt mind trying my hand at singles.

Yes, the League goes on for all 3 days. We have meet ups every day and you can challenge leaders if you find them throughout the con. All PPL members wear a BRIGHT neon green scarf when they are available for challengers. Elite members have red stripes on their scarves, or some other indication they are E4.

Our champion will be pre-announced and likely in cosplay, but still have their scarf. They'll be able to let you know/direct you to other leaders if you're not qualified yet to challenge them.

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    PAXE 2011: Won 2 badges.
    PAXE 2012: Won 1 badge.
    PAXE 2013: I hope I can win one. Problem: Train team in my Black, or play White2? ARGH!!!

cocowoushi wrote: »

Yes, the League goes on for all 3 days. We have meet ups every day and you can challenge leaders if you find them throughout the con. All PPL members wear a BRIGHT neon green scarf when they are available for challengers. Elite members have red stripes on their scarves, or some other indication they are E4.

Our champion will be pre-announced and likely in cosplay, but still have their scarf. They'll be able to let you know/direct you to other leaders if you're not qualified yet to challenge them.

This. Also we'll be posting gym leader/Elite Four/Champion bios and trainer images on the website before PAX so you can get to know who to look for. Gym leaders are often dressed up in a particular way.
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    PAXE 2011: Won 2 badges.
    PAXE 2012: Won 1 badge.
    PAXE 2013: I hope I can win one. Problem: Train team in my Black, or play White2? ARGH!!!

I'm sure you can win some badges! There will be leaders of all skill levels, remember, so you just have to keep trying. Also, there should be plenty of time for both White 2 and training up a team. You've got nearly five months, after all!

• DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Prepare yourself, Propriety.

• rpeet687rpeet687 Registered User new member
    edited October 2012
    I'm bringing the bro team :D

rpeet687 on
    DanUNG wrote: »
    Prepare yourself, Propriety.

Uh oh.

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    This looks very interesting, especially since I got my copy of Pokemon Black 2 last week :D. Very curious to see if I can spot any gym leaders this year.

Also a quick question...Anybody got an Iceberg key by any chance? Apparently I need it to catch an Rejoice so that i can use other two Regi pokemon to capture the boss one. I don't have any friends that play Pokemon White 2 so if anybody else does...well...anybody? XD

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Jove wrote: »
    This looks very interesting, especially since I got my copy of Pokemon Black 2 last week :D. Very curious to see if I can spot any gym leaders this year.

Also a quick question...Anybody got an Iceberg key by any chance? Apparently I need it to catch an Rejoice so that i can use other two Regi pokemon to capture the boss one. I don't have any friends that play Pokemon White 2 so if anybody else does...well...anybody? XD

The PPL has their own forums that tend to have many people that can talk about trading and whatnot. You're probably more likely to get a response that way.

• JoveJove Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Jove wrote: »

The PPL has their own forums that tend to have many people that can talk about trading and whatnot. You're probably more likely to get a response that way.

Really? Is there a link where I can check it out?