As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Camera bags that aren't just camera bags.

matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off'Points to 'on'Registered User regular
edited October 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Does such a thing exist? I hate carrying an actual camera bag, especially if it's just to bring a single body and lens, but I'd never just toss those into a regular messenger bag/backpack for fear of them banging around inside. Plus it'd be nice when traveling to not have a big "STEAL THIS IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE" sign hanging over my shoulder. Does anyone make a regular backpack or messenger style bag that can take a camera too? I know there are hard cases with foam inserts that you can customize, removing cubes of foam to make holes for your gear, is there something similar? Or even some type of protective shroud that you can put the camera and lens in that fits into an existing backpack?

nibXTE7.png
matt has a problem on

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    I don't know if you'll be able to find a camera case that doesn't scream "camera case".
    You might look into getting some pluckable foam inserts and a bag of your choosing and make it yourself.

Though, a google search for incognito camera bags turned up this which may give you a starting point.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
  • finralfinral Registered User regular
    I bought this recently for my DSLR, and have been pretty happy with the results. I do feel a little like I'm carrying some sort of manly purse at times though...

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    what i used to do when i hiked with my camera was stick it in a soft-padded insulated lunch box thing and then stuff that in my bag. works well for a body and a small lens or two.

i also used a medium-large messenger pack. just stick your lenses in a pouch and they should be fine

camo_sig.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Does such a thing exist? I hate carrying an actual camera bag, especially if it's just to bring a single body and lens, but I'd never just toss those into a regular messenger bag/backpack for fear of them banging around inside. Plus it'd be nice when traveling to not have a big "STEAL THIS IT IS VERY EXPENSIVE" sign hanging over my shoulder. Does anyone make a regular backpack or messenger style bag that can take a camera too? I know there are hard cases with foam inserts that you can customize, removing cubes of foam to make holes for your gear, is there something similar? Or even some type of protective shroud that you can put the camera and lens in that fits into an existing backpack?

Banging around inside? Unless your bag is full of bricks, your camera will be fine in a messenger bag/backpack. DSLRs are a LOT tougher than people give them credit for: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1tTBncIsm8

• finalflight89finalflight89 Registered User regular
    I use these Domke wraps to put my DSLR into a messenger bag/backpack when I don't feel like carrying around a specific bag for it. As long as you don't drop the bag, the camera will be fine.

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    I recently picked up a timbuk2 commute messenger bag and they also make the snoop camera insert that you can just drop in.

I have the medium commute (the custom one) and the (S)mall timbuk2 snoop fits great in it.

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • phoophoo Registered User regular
    I got a great deal on this: http://www.amazon.com/Blurr-Scratch-Bag/dp/B001JFBF22
    Obviously I use it for more than just a camera, but it's what I use to transport my tech when I fly. Inside is a padded pocket with an adjustable padded divider. It works great to snug a camera and lenses down into. You could probably make extra dividers as well, since they adhere with velcro and the inside of the pouch is lined with a soft material that hook velcro would stick to.

If I have only my camera with one lens attached to it (I prefer the minimal approach when I can), I have a much smaller purse-sized messenger bag that I put the camera into. Long as it's got the lens cap on it, it's fine. Sometimes I'll put a second prime lens in a small (non-padded) pocket. It's not as protected (and there's more other stuff floating around in there) as the blurr bag, but I've had no problems with it and works great for something like street photography where people don't expect you to pull a camera out of there. I would not however use it to transport much camera gear because it'd be all crowded together with no padding.

• PhistiPhisti Registered User regular
    I have a pelican case for when I'm canoeing and a Lowepro backpack with a camera pouch with space for lenses and an actual backpack part for lugging around lunch etc... the backpack is great for the zoo, or hikes or whatnot.