As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

San Diego Comic-Con News Thread

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    year one

Garlic Bread on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Which one?

Year One.

Bloods End on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I'll have to buy that then.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2007
    is that Titans East just a special?

Because I love Lagoon Lad

Garlic Bread on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does he live in a lagoon or just enjoy alliteration?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • graizurgraizur __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    TTY1-Cv1-copy.jpg

This makes me think of that TOP 10 story.

graizur on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Willingham and Chen on Salvation Run:
    SALR-Cv1-copy.jpg

I thought Weather Wizard lost an arm at some point? Or was it just broken? Maybe I'm thinking of another villain from around IC...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Algertman wrote: »
    Servo wrote: »
    well titans year one has a totally awesome cover even if aquaboy is a goddamn terrifying corpse monster.

kill it KILL IT!

KILL IT WITH FIRE. Poor kid's probably wishing he's never been born, misshapen, frail, and pale as he is.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Quick question. I was watching G4's coverage of the Con and they talked about some zombie comic. It was, if I remember correctly, about people surviving in a zombie filled world. I am sure there are hundreds of zombie comics, just wondering if anyone saw the coverage on G4 and could help.

I am not much of a comic fan (I collected some when I was younger...I love all the different pretty pictures), but I wouldn't mind getting into some (spider-man for one). All of this Comic Con hoopla has me itching to go next year.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited July 2007
    People surviving in a zombie-filled world is basically the description for every zombie comic out there.

But they're probably talking about the Walking Dead.

DJ Eebs on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that's The Walking Dead. Pretty much the gold standard for zombie comics and the only one that manages to continue as an ongoing.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HEY MUNCH
    (Son of) Vulcan!

YESOHGODYES

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Image Panel Highlights:
    Cecil is about to have shit go down in Invincible and with 50 "all bets are off."
    Fire Breather is returning as an ongoing with the original creative team of Hester and Kuhn.
    SCUD : The Disposable Assassin is being collected/finished in "one gigantic, mind-numbingly big volume."
    The Sinner by Steve Niles and Bill Sienkiewicz(Cover Below)
    Image01.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    Iron Man game footage

Ho-leey shit.

I mean, the walking's a bit too slidey for my tastes, but everything else looks great.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    That looks pretty fucking cool.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Salvation Run sounds a bit like a variation on Planet Hulk.
    And Black Adam's rampage in WWIII reminded me a little tiny bit of World War Hulk.

Please don't kill me

Lux on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How can Black Adam's rampage remind you of World War Hulk when it was written and released before WWH started

Furu on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe the order in which he read them?

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2007
    Well yeah, but you can't sit and watch Space Balls, then load up A New Hope for the first time and say "Hey, this really reminds me of Space Balls!"

Furu on
    edited July 2007
    Well, Marvel's Ultimate Panel is starting up.
    Loeb is writing a 6-part mini-crossover called Ultimatum that will be in UXM and UFF, it ties into Ultimates 3 and Bendis' upcoming Ultimate Origin. He teases that there is something bigger on the horizon "Expect the Unexpected. The end is near...nearer."
    Ultimates 3 launches in December.
    Preview of Ultimate Origin, which ties all the way back to Ultimate Marvel Team-Up 3.
    UOrigin1.jpg
    UOrigin2.jpg
    UOrigin3.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Loeb/Ultimate stuff sounds terrible

It will probably be a top 5 diamond title easily

Algertman on
    edited July 2007

Yeah, because two covers for Ultimates and not much else really makes the series sound totally god awful.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007

Yeah, because two covers for Ultimates and not much else really makes the series sound totally god awful.

The covers are garbage and Loeb is writing

it's not that hard

Algertman on
    edited July 2007

it's not that hard
    Loeb's written some bad stuff.

Loeb's written some fantastic stuff.

He's like pretty much every writer in the business, so please shut up and stop saying a series is going to be terrible when we have hardly any information on it.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007

it's not that hard
    Loeb's written some bad stuff.

Loeb's written some fantastic stuff.

He's like pretty much every writer in the business, so please shut up and stop saying a series is going to be terrible when we have hardly any information on it.

Loeb's written good stuff when Sale is on art.

I have enough info on it. Loeb going to hack his way through it like he did on Wolverine and Joe Mad is turning out the worst art he's ever done in those covers.

Algertman on
  • KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Theres been all kinds of info related to Ultimates to infer its quality. Aside from Loeb being the writer, its already shown he has no idea how to write Ultimate versions of hte characters and has decided to simply revert them to their 616 counterparts. Hes responsible for Thor's return to norse speak with the verily's and thous and so on. He as much as said he doesnt care for the political overtones of the series that Millar did and wont bother writing something like that. He just said in the panel he cant be bothered writing longer then 6 issue stories and wont try to make a overarching story, keeping it similar to his Superman/Batman. When asked why they were reverted to 616 looks, he just says "well Scarlet Witch's mother made her that way" as his reason. Every single thing he says about the book is pathetic and he hasnt written a good book since For All Seasons. The rest are just colour books (blue, grey, yellow, etc) or year one follow ups that prey on nostalgia and basically build / retell older peoples stories. You may enjoy them, but they are far from great books.

Tying in a "big" crossover for the Ultimate Universe with two non related books like Ultimatum is doing is stupid and wreaks of 90s crossover as well. Why coudlnt they just tell it like a normal crossover in its own mini like Ultimate Galactus trilogy or Ultimate War or Ultimate Six or so on.

KVW on
    edited July 2007
    KVW wrote: »
    Theres been all kinds of info related to Ultimates to infer its quality. Aside from Loeb being the writer, its already shown he has no idea how to write Ultimate versions of hte characters and has decided to simply revert them to their 616 counterparts. Hes responsible for Thor's return to norse speak with the verily's and thous and so on. He as much as said he doesnt care for the political overtones of the series that Millar did and wont bother writing something like that. He just said in the panel he cant be bothered writing longer then 6 issue stories and wont try to make a overarching story, keeping it similar to his Superman/Batman. When asked why they were reverted to 616 looks, he just says "well Scarlet Witch's mother made her that way" as his reason. Every single thing he says about the book is pathetic and he hasnt written a good book since For All Seasons. The rest are just colour books (blue, grey, yellow, etc) or year one follow ups that prey on nostalgia and basically build / retell older peoples stories. You may enjoy them, but they are far from great books.

Tying in a "big" crossover for the Ultimate Universe with two non related books like Ultimatum is doing is stupid and wreaks of 90s crossover as well. Why coudlnt they just tell it like a normal crossover in its own mini like Ultimate Galactus trilogy or Ultimate War or Ultimate Six or so on.
    If you can read Spider-Man: Blue and say it's far from a great book then yeah, you have terrible taste.

While I do hate Thor's return to his Thee and thou speach, He's not just saying "Her mother did it" he's saying "It ties into her mother which will be part of the storyline." the two are very different.

It doesn't make sense for the book to be political anymore, the team is no longer attatched to any government and is funded by Tony Stark himself. The six-issue arcs make much more sense, because it feels like he wants this to be more of a traditional super-book, which is not a bad thing in any way.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    Sounds pretty much like Loeb hate to me. In the absence of actual information, the default position is apparently to write off whatever he's going to work on as a failure. I guess I'm the one guy who's only read his good stuff, so I'm not looking at this as a harbinger of the Apocalypse. Also, my love for the Ultimates makes it impossible for me to be cynical about the future books.

wwtMask on
    edited July 2007
    ASM Creative Line-Up
    Dan Slott, Steve McNiven, Dexter Vines and Morry Hollowell
    Marc Guggenheim, Salvador Larrocca and Jason Keith
    Bob Gale, Phil Jimenez, Andy Lanning and Jeromy Cox
    Zeb Wells, Chris Bachalo, Tim Townshend and Antonio Fabela
    McNivens_Spidey.jpg
    Jimenez.jpg
    Larroca.jpg

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    Slott and McNiven hells yeah

Furu on
    edited July 2007
    Awesome. The ASM creative team decisions are on point. Guggenheim and Wells are pretty big surprises to me. Also, who the hell is Bob Gale?

wwtMask on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Meh news..

Judd Winick is writing the Titans East one shot and eventual monthly.

Get ready for some more interspecies butt sex.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
    edited July 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Awesome. The ASM creative team decisions are on point. Guggenheim and Wells are pretty big surprises to me. Also, who the hell is Bob Gale?
    Bob Gale wrote Back to the Future.

:o

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That will be indeed interesting, then.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited July 2007

If that somehow means I can expect time paradoxes and Deloreans traveling at 88 MPH, I think we've got plenty to be excited about. :D

wwtMask on
    edited July 2007

If that somehow means I can expect time paradoxes and Deloreans traveling at 88 MPH, I think we've got plenty to be excited about. :D
    Well, he's said Doc Brown will make a cameo in issue one.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Is there a Loeb/Mad Ultimates 3 interview somewhere?

DouglasDanger on
    edited July 2007

Is there a Loeb/Mad Ultimates 3 interview somewhere?
    Loeb was interviewed about Ultimatum, he touched on Ultimates 3 a bit.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Bad Karma wrote: »

That's the one with (Son of) Vulcan right? D: I should be used to getting really excited about a comic announcement, only to feel down when I find out more information, but man, every time is just like the first.

Munch on
    edited July 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Bad Karma wrote: »

That's the one with (Son of) Vulcan right? D: I should be used to getting really excited about a comic announcement, only to feel down when I find out more information, but man, every time is just like the first.

your anus bleeds?

Garlic Bread on