As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bookshelf by a Radiator

NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and StuffRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Pretty simple question but I'm having trouble googling an answer for it. I have a radiator in my room and the most convenient place to put bookshelves is on either side of it. I'm worried about the heat/moisture warping the shelves themselves and (more importantly) damaging the books/dvds that I'll have stored on said shelves. Anyone have any experience/ knowledge on this subject.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
Rorus Raz wrote: »
There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
cakemikz wrote: »
And then I rub actual cake on myself.
Loomdun wrote: »
thats why you have chest helmets
Nappuccino on

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Is this central heating? Because if anything: in the winter homes get dryer rather than more humid when we close all windows and turn up the heat. It's a very dry heat coming central heating (and room heaters, for that matter).

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    For the purposes of what I am going to say I am going to assume you have a radiator that uses a boiler and not one that uses a funace because you mentioned moisture. And with this assumption you are correct in worrying about heat and moisture. Radators are going to need some clearance for safety and access reasons, at work we try for at least a foot of clearance. Mostly for heat concerns. For a furnace radiator your prolly good with a few inches as long as you don't feal it being too hot.

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    yeah. if you are on a water/steam heater system (those big old metal links with a pipe heading out the bottom), then i have experience with it.

you can put books around and even on it. my bathroom radiator had a metal cover over it that acted like a shelf. we placed reading material on there. no problems with it. in my bedroom i kept comics and this radiator had NO cover. for this i made sure to keep the paper away from the side with the pressure relief, as water in the form of pressurized steam can come out of there.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Yeah, it's one of those big ole metal ones with a pipe going beneath the floorboards.

Interesting to see some conflicting reports...

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    FruhmannFruhmann Registered User regular
    yeah. lots of factors to consider from everyone. climate. how much they up the heat. how they have the relief set. cover or no cover?

best bet. get some news papers, magazines. let them sit where you're thinking and see what happens.

• Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    Also worth considering if your bookshelf is laminated or not... If so, the heat might destroy it.

• Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Also it's different if you have a radiator cover like Fruhmann does, and if your steam comes in high preassure or not. Where I work we likely use a higher pressure steam and no radiator covers (stupid historical building) so our radiators are 128 degrees to touch.

• Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Yeah... this is an older building and I have no idea how hot the radiator will actually be. I do know we don't have radiator covers in any room but the kitchen (they put a counter-top over it).

I might just have to use the newpaper/old book method the first two weeks or so when we turn it one, just to be safe.

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Backing up Fruhmann here--you will only have issues with if A) you live in a humid climate, in which case the radiator is a non-entity, or B) the radiator is leaking, in which case moisture is the least of your worries.

kofz2amsvqm3.png