As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Spaceship games, but mostly X

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Rolo wrote: »
    Tossrock wrote: »
    Escape Velocity is the best space game, sorry other space games

Really? I remember it kind of sucking... you couldn't really do much in the way of flying, it was like a limited version of Magic Carpet.

oh actually on further research I was thinking of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLyrXTL683g

Terminal Velocity

which did indeed suck as much as I remember

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    Artreus wrote: »
    Also has anyone else mentioned Beyond the Red Line? The Battlestar Galactica Freespace 2 mod?

I remember it being pretty cool however many years ago that was

They released BSG Diaspora as a freeware standalone game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A-Nnqspa5A

www.diasporagame.com

DO WANT

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular

Really? I remember it kind of sucking... you couldn't really do much in the way of flying, it was like a limited version of Magic Carpet.

Terminal Velocity

I have a friend who gets excited and thinks I am talking about Terminal Velocity every time I bring up Escape Velocity

Escape velocity is way better

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My lasting memory of Terminal Velocity is that it was the game that I was playing when my mother discovered Penthouse Magazines under my bed. That weren't mine. And had been there since we bought the house from the previous teenage boy who occupied my room.

That said, it wasn't that bad; pretty decent budget shareware title that was never going to be a AAA game; half tech demo, it really did that thing where it was basically built around doing one thing well - in this case, speed - and it was certainly pretty solid at that for the time at which it was released.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    What was that shitty 3DO game where the first level had you shooting robots in a desert near Cairo?

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Drew-B wrote: »
    Alright, as far as X goes...

I'm still mostly just selling ore. I have a little over a million credits and a few mercury ships on top of my buster.

I suppose I should start looking to sell some more valuable stuff? For the last few hours I've been making small-time money, pretty much. 20k here, 30k there. Not sure really what to do at this point. I haven't really strayed too far from Argon space at this point.

I always sold lots of energy cells. Sure the profits per cell were lower but lots and lots of places needed them so they were easy to sell, and since they were smaller than ore you could cram a lot more into your hold. Eventually I had around 10-15 fully-upgraded haulers with all the trade software completely automated. I hadn't quite figured out the station stuff but I was working on it right before I quit.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

Terminal Velocity

man it's a good thing you amended this because otherwise I was gonna divorce you and take the kids

I won't have my children brought up in a home that disrespects EV

sig.png
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Gonna talk about FTL in this thread

FUCK that game

I love that game

I still haven't beaten it and I've put nearly 20 hours into it

On Sunday night I had the vanilla cruiser with maxed cloak, 3 shield, missile launcher, 2 burst laser 3s, hull laser 3, system repair drone, 2 full level melee mantis boarding crew, guys in every station with an engie running about on repairs supporting the repair drone and I still lost

I had the flagship down to 2 pips on the last battle and a lucky laser got through and dropped me :(

What I have learnt is that I wouyld be a poor ship commander because there's just way too much stuff going on and one little slip up means it's all over

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    HellaJeffHellaJeff FAB FRESH RAIIINBOOWWWWWRegistered User regular
    Alright, I am in the mood to play some old gold.

My first run at Star Control 2 starts now

• Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    I downloaded that Diaspora mod last night

pretty solid

text is almost unreadable though

need to get a joystick

• Options
    The more I read about others' experience with FTL, the more I think I must have been incredibly lucky to beat the flagship.

Incidentally, I haven't played it since to verify.

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    HellaJeff wrote: »
    Alright, I am in the mood to play some old gold.

My first run at Star Control 2 starts now

Star Control 2 is at least platinum.

• Options
    I forgot how awesome games were when they didn't tell you what to do at first. I played for like 45 minutes just cruising around looking at planets before I was like, hey I don't actually know how to sell this ore. Then I went and read the manual and realized holy shit there is a base near earth!

Games like that owned bones

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    I forgot how awesome games were when they didn't tell you what to do at first. I played for like 45 minutes just cruising around looking at planets before I was like, hey I don't actually know how to sell this ore. Then I went and read the manual and realized holy shit there is a base near earth!

Wait 'till you see the starmap. ;)

• Options
    I had to use the starmap to get back to Sol, I accidentally found the button for hyperspace first

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I downloaded that Diaspora mod last night

pretty solid

text is almost unreadable though

need to get a joystick

I got mauled twice

This time, however

This time I know I'll make- *explodes*

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    My text is almost unreadable in Freespace 2, too (i.e., on new, 16:9 monitors). Probably a symptom of that.

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I could never beat Star Control 2. I always wander around exploring, and end up floating in the void with no fuel.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular

I agree with this to an extent. If a game is not going to hold your hand, I think they darn well better have an intuitive system/a lot of info for you to read through to get your head around what's going on

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Star Control 2 has some of my favorite lines in any game ever.

Also the Mycon are fucking creepy.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I played Star Control 2 a few years ago without the benefit of nostalgia.

The exploration stuff is cool and the aliens and stuff are great, but the combat is clunky and there was too much boring dot collecting.

broken image link
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I will cut you.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    you're too much boring dot collecting!

• Options
    Seriously? "the combat is clunky"?

I'm sorry, that's not 'without the benefit of nostalgia', that's just plain wrong.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I haven't seen old people this angry since the nurses changed the brand on their oatmeal

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    I have never played Star Control so this has zero nostalgia fuel

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Seriously? "the combat is clunky"?

I'm sorry, that's not 'without the benefit of nostalgia', that's just plain wrong.

My main issue was that turning your ship happened at fixed angles, rather than being smooth. Even when enemy ships should have been easy to hit, they weren't because I could only aim to either side of them.

broken image link
  • Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Is Star Control 2 really just a pac-man game?

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    Yes, congratulations, you worked out that combat is as much about where you are and dynamic movement as which way you are pointing your gun.

Fucking kids today. You probably never played Tribes, either.

• Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I do find really old games pretty hard to get into these days.

Trying to play the first two fallouts was a bit of a chore

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    Oo, Star Control 2 is available on Android under the port's name, Ur-Quan Masters

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is the angriest I've ever seen Fishman and his signature quote is from 2002.

• Options
    Fishman wrote: »
    Yes, congratulations, you worked out that combat is as much about where you are and dynamic movement as which way you are pointing your gun.

Fucking kids today. You probably never played Tribes, either.

Tribes was a difficult game to describe to classmates at a time when their only frame of reference was 15 frames/second 4-player split screen.

I still have my disc, doggy.

Also, I totally still have the Starsiege compendium/art book that came with, er, Starsiege.

• Options
    By the way Fishman I also killed your dog, but obviously that's pretty minor compared to not liking a video game.

broken image link
  • Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Hahahah oh my goodness this is wonderful.

I'm thinking Mr Butt's only out here was that maybe he was trying to fight with the non upgraded flagship? I dunno...

I would pay all of the money to have a version of SC2 super melee available for me to play against people across XBLA or Steam or whatever the hell because jesus, it is so good you have no idea Fuzzbutt!

RabidDeathMoose on
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm excited to play it on my phone. Haven't touched this game in probably, shit, ten years? I'll be back with some impressions later.

I am doing this instead of playing X, so I hopes this conveys my seriousness.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    Meh. I don't care that you didn't like it, but you're misrepresenting it. If it wasn't for you, fine. I'm aware that it wouldn't be for everyone, especially these days. But saying the combat is clunky? That's like complaining about juggling in Street Fighter II, or skiing in Tribes. The combat in Star Control 2 is pure, elegant and simple, but has deep mastery. It's a core experience of the gameplay, and it's still the best implementation of a Space War-style PvP top-down shooter I'm aware of even today, with a depth of experience that probably holds up to shoot-'em-ups made 10 years after it released.

• Options
    RabidDeathMooseRabidDeathMoose Registered User regular
    That Diaspora footage looks really cool btw. Colour me intrigued.

• Options

Wing Commandeered: Chris Roberts’ Star Citizen

Everything in the Star Citizen demo is very obviously there as a nostalgic hook to Roberts’ longtime fans, to the extent that the logo for the space combat portion of Star Citizen currently uses the Wing Commander font. I’d be stunned if the final game follows suit though (not least because I can’t imagine EA letting it go unchallenged), and the actual universe underneath it is very different to any of Roberts’ past space games.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=t1Zc2oxijVY

Here’s the hook. Instead of an intergalactic war, Star Citizen focuses on what’s essentially the fall of Rome on an intergalactic scale – in real terms, a dynamic online galaxy with barbarians at the gates, and you and your fellow players trying to hold off the collapse.

EPNdZ.jpg

The game’s name comes from the fact that in this universe, citizenship has to be earned. How you go about it though is completely up to you. If you want that Wing Commander flavour, sign up for a tour of duty in the military and you can focus on combat in a solo/co-op part of the universe. For more freedom, grab a ship and just do your own thing, Privateer/Freelancer style, only within a living economy and ever-expanding universe of mystery and intrigue, only with players instead of just NPCs and no one jerk getting to hog the Steltek gun.

X3rSd.jpg

As you’d expect, it’s not a safe galaxy. Police will deter, though not prevent PvP in safer areas, but there’s nothing to stop you taking a pop at anyone you don’t like whenever you think you can get away with it. Combat is set to be entirely skill driven, with no MMO style levels. You’ll be able to buy and strap better gear onto your ship, but it’ll usually come with a flip-side. A big gun may soak up power for instance, so you only get one shot, or a heavy shield generator may lower your speed and manoeuvrability and leave you vulnerable to a more nimble attacker.

Meh1K.jpg

And that’s just the start. If Roberts manages to implement all the features he wants, Star Citizen will be one of the greatest space games ever. You’ll be able to host your own universes for instance, as in Freelancer, mod or add your own spaceships and submit them to the main game for other people to buy. You’re never going to be able to sell the Starship Enterprise as a carrier in the main game, but in your own universe? Just don’t tell Paramount.

• Options
    SWEET

MOTHER

OF

FUCK

YES