As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Circumcision does not reduce sensitivity

recurs|onrecurs|on procrastinator generalRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
The Ceeb reports on a study comparing the sensitivity of circumcised and uncircumcised penises:
CBC wrote:
The study found no difference in sensitivity to touch or pain between the two groups, debunking the widely-held belief that uncircumcised men experience greater sexual pleasure.

Here's the abstract.

I'm against circumcision on the balance of things, but not on the basis of any supposed change in sensitivity. The medical risks and loss of choice are what do it for me. At the same time, I've never accepted the comparisons to female circumcision that are often brought up in the discussion, simply because the end result of the two procedures is so qualitatively different. Assuming the results are replicated, this study puts a serious nail in the coffin of such comparisons.

The real question, of course, is what all those people trying to "regrow" their foreskins are thinking right now. I'm gonna go with, "3 years of hanging weights off of the end of my dick, and now this?"

recurs|on on

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure what I should debate here. Other than I am uncircumcised and am a-ok with that.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ?

You have a piece of your skin removed.

That skin, thus, no longer exists.

Without that skin, there is no place for nerves to be.

Incenjucar on
  • recurs|onrecurs|on procrastinator general Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah crap. I re-read and preview my post, but don't bother to check the spelling of the title. Dork.

If you don't feel like debating you could, I dunno...discuss? Does this news change how you feel about circumcision?

recurs|on on
  • CangoFettCangoFett Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    ?

Y..you understand how a penis works, right?

Like, the skin they cut off? Theres more stuff under there.

I swear

CangoFett on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think its going to change my stance that cutting random bits of infants and/or children without a clear medical need to do so is a Bad Thing.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    If I remove half the skin on your body, will your sense of sensation be the same?

There's more stuff under there.

--

While I do not mind that I was circumcised, I am quite irritated that nobody bothered to get my opinion.

I really do not like having my parents deciding how my penis is to be presented.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007
    ?

Yeah, I don't think it was the sensitivity of the foreskin itself that was ever in question. Cus, y'know, if it was, the study probably wouldn't have been necessary. Being missing and all in the circumcised group.

recurs|on on
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    I don't think its going to change my stance that cutting random bits of infants and/or children without a clear medical need to do so is a Bad Thing.

What about a religious family that is following a practice that has existed for thousands of years? Still bad? Or more along the lines of, 'thats bad, but not so bad that im in a huge uproar about it?'

Im not trying to start an argument here, just curious of your opinion.

CangoFett on
    edited July 2007
    recurs|on wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think it was the sensitivity of the foreskin itself that was ever in question. Cus, y'know, if it was, the study probably wouldn't have been necessary. Being missing and all in the circumcised group.

What, did some moron think the foreskin was a clitoris?

--

Fett: Religious practices aren't why they're done in the US, for the most part. And those religions are sick fucks for what they've been doing for thousands of years.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007

Always with the closed mind, The Cat. Always.

recurs|on on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »

What about a religious family that is following a practice that has existed for thousands of years? Still bad? Or more along the lines of, 'thats bad, but not so bad that im in a huge uproar about it?'

You expect me to have more respect for topiarising your children because you've got a really old book that says to?

Pruning people is bad. Always. If they grow up and wish to prune themselves, that's another story.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    recurs|on wrote: »

What, did some moron think the foreskin was a clitoris?

No, I think some moron thought that the absence of a foreskin on circumcised males qualified as a startling revelation.

Ba dum bum.

recurs|on on
    edited July 2007
    CangoFett wrote: »

You expect me to have more respect for topiarising your children because you've got a really old book that says to?

Pruning people is bad. Always. If they grow up and wish to prune themselves, that's another story.

Okay, I can understand what you mean.

I dont think my family did it for religious practices, they may have. They are the Christians that claim the title, go to church twice a year, and cuss out everyone on the highway.

I'm glad it was done, but yeah, if I ended up being non-Christian, I'd probably be super pissed that they snipped off part of my tally whacker.

CangoFett on
  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It goes in and out of fashion. Its really not a big deal.

Except for that time I drove through St Ives and saw a big group of Jewish guys holding a midnight vigil for their lost foreskins.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think it's the silliest thing. Hey, let's take something that works perfectly fine and ... cut some of it off. For no reason. Just 'cause.

Zoolander on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    What were the age of subjects? I found my sensitivity drop off during puberty's random erections, which at first really hurt because I wasn't used to that part being exposed.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, it's not like we evolved to have foreskins for a reason.

Oh wait...

EDIT: Also, yeah, when it first became exposed before masturbation became a fact of life, that shit was sensitive.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait, guys are try to extend their foreskin after they've been circumsized? Is there some sort of benefit to that or is it just a matter of principle?

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Zoolander wrote: »
    I think it's the silliest thing. Hey, let's take something that works perfectly fine and ... cut some of it off. For no reason. Just 'cause.
    Apparently we can't trust people to clean their dangly bits properly. If we could, we wouldn't have to eliminate "the problem" all together.

And for the record: slicing and dicing down there is bad, m'kay? It's especially worse for infants, given how a small screw up could cause permanent and irreparable damage (circumcision by fire, anyone?). Don't make me break out the horror stories, people.

Hacksaw on
    edited July 2007
    Voth wrote: »
    Wait, guys are try to extend their foreskin after they've been circumsized? Is there some sort of benefit to that or is it just a matter of principle?

Oh, just GIS "foreskin restoration". You won't be sorry.

Ok, you probably will be sorry. But you will also be informed.

recurs|on on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really do not like having my parents deciding how my penis is to be presented.

Your parents make a lot of decisions about you as a child. Why is your physical makeup any different than your mental evolution? They indoctrinate you in the morals and values they want you to have. I mean I can see making a case against circumcision, but the reason you give is probably the least valid. Also, parents believed that there were medical benefits to it. You can make this case now, or maybe ten years from now, but unless you're five years old, I don't really think you should blame your parents too much.

On a personal note, I'm glad of two things: I'm glad I don't have an extra flap of skin and I'm glad this was taken care of for me before I can remember.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited July 2007
    My parents screwed up like half the decisions they made in my regards, so that's really not a really good comparison to make.

Intentionally limiting a child's choices in a long-term manner outside of things which are provably destructive is to be avoided.

--

And for the record, my dad didn't want me to get it, but my mom insisted. So it's not a matter of "Oh gee they were just ignorant back then everyone was like that."

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007
    My parents screwed up like half the decisions they made in my regards, so that's really not a really good comparison to make.

Intentionally limiting a child's choices in a long-term manner outside of things which are provably destructive is to be avoided.

Okay, I can get behind that reasoning. But, unless there is convincing research to suggest that circumcision is actually harmful, and unless my (eventual) wife has a really big problem with it, I'll most likely have my child circumcised because, well, I think that extra flap of skin is gross and I know I'm damn glad it was taken care of for me before I could talk. I don't want to have nightmares about someone snipping at my adult penis, and I don't want my child to deal with that either. :P

Plus, most of the girls I know prefer a circumcised penis. Most of the others don't care. I don't know any girl that prefers an uncircumcised penis.

Drez on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think it's worth the risk, honestly. It's a strange tradition and I can't remember how it became so popular in the United States when it's less common in Europe. Jews, Arabs, and some Africans practice it as far as I know, and none of them had much say in the US back when this became an institution.

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Okay, I can get behind that reasoning. But, unless there is convincing research to suggest that circumcision is actually harmful, and unless my (eventual) wife has a really big problem with it, I'll most likely have my child circumcised because, well, I think that extra flap of skin is gross and I know I'm damn glad it was taken care of for me before I could talk. I don't want to have nightmares about someone snipping at my adult penis, and I don't want my child to deal with that either. :P

Plus, most of the girls I know prefer a circumcised penis. Most of the others don't care. I don't know any girl that prefers an uncircumcised penis.

The act itself isn't harmful but it can result in accidental genital mutilation.

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2007
    Hey, if you want to risk your kid having its penis chopped off so that girls can continue preferring a circumcised penis solely because it is the only one usually available.

There are also surgeries some people get, apparently, to fit in to shoes better.

So hey, go ahead and chop off some toes while you're at it.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007
    So we can safely conclude that circumcision is primitive and moronic because of incredibly small chance of mishap?

and really, what choices are we limiting? the choice not to get circumcised later?

DodgeBlan on

edited July 2007
    Can you cite the statistics of penises getting chopped off during circumcision?

Drez on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Uhh, when my skin somehow finds a way to roll back and my tip rubs my undies, i have to rectify it immediately.

How can you live with that?

Surely it would become desensitised.

The Black Hunter on
    edited July 2007
    It's primitive and moronic because it has no measurable benefit in and of itself, and can be detrimental to a minority of individuals in potentially horrific ways.

It's along the lines getting your kid's nads tattooed.

--

It's possible that the penis tip (glans?) gets a degree of callousing, but I am in no position to verify this.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007
    If anything, being circumcised makes you MORE sensitive. All the uncircumcised guys I know are assholes!

edit: Still waiting for those statistics, Incenjucar. Just sounds like you're trying to "scare" me into an action here with your comment about penises accidentally getting cut off.

Drez on
    edited July 2007

If something goes wrong during a baby's circumcision, the damage is usually far and away much worse than if it had gone wrong during an adult's circumcision. Add to that the fact that it's a completely unnecessary procedure whose "benefits" can be offset by simply cleaning the target area often and effectively, and voting against it should be a no brainer.

And if you think lopping off a piece of your manhood will make you more attractive, you're retarded; it retracts when the penis becomes erect. During sexual excitement it just looks like normal skin on the shaft of the penis. It might as well be invisible.

Hacksaw on
    edited July 2007
    Well, all surgery carries a risk of resulting in injury or death.

Circumcision is not necessary. It's just not. So, why are we engaging in unnecessary surgery?

Casual Eddy on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really don't understand why anyone thinks genital mutilation of any kind is a good idea

I mean how did that even start? What would inspire the idea to chop off a bit of your cock?

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2007
    I really don't understand why anyone thinks genital mutilation of any kind is a good idea

I mean how did that even start? What would inspire the idea to chop off a bit of your cock?

God said to.

der

DodgeBlan on

edited July 2007
    Well much as I detest the practice it's certainly not mutilation. The wang still functions after a normal circumcision.

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2007
    Well much as I detest the practice it's certainly not mutilation. The wang still functions after a normal circumcision.
    Yeah, but it's missing a piece of its soul.

Hacksaw on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

God said to.

der

Let's pretend, right, that the Bible was written after the fact by a bunch of dudes who thought they knew what happened, or as a metaphor, or whatever

you know, just as a thought experiment

What social or personal motivation would there be that would make a man decide to cut off a bit of his son's penis? I can see it for female circumcision, since female sexuality is demonized and suppressed in any number of ways throughout history, but why the man bits? I don't get it.

Edit: Also, Eddy, it is genital mutilation. Mutilation does not have to impair function, it just has to damage or excise a part and disfigure in an irreparable fashion.

Evil Multifarious on
    edited July 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »

God said to.

der

Really, it has much more to do with cultural and family pressure. Tossing the "why" question away with a "moldy old book" reference is way to simple. Circumcision is not nearly the strangest of the things groups of people do because they always have.

recurs|on on
    edited July 2007
    Hacksaw wrote: »

If something goes wrong during a baby's circumcision, the damage is usually far and away much worse than if it had gone wrong during an adult's circumcision. Add to that the fact that it's a completely unnecessary procedure whose "benefits" can be offset by simply cleaning the target area often and effectively, and voting against it should be a no brainer.

And if you think lopping off a piece of your manhood will make you more attractive, you're retarded; it retracts when the penis becomes erect. During sexual excitement it just looks like normal skin on the shaft of the penis. It might as well be invisible.

Hey, I'm not a girl, I only know what I'm told, dude. I don't walk around with my dick hanging out so, no, I don't think having a circumcised penis makes me "more attractive," but a majority of the girls I know that I've spoken to on the subject prefer a circumcised penis. I'll give you their numbers so you can call them retarded, if you like.

(I'm not really going to give you their numbers.)

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.