As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Fitness Group 2.0

PayneTraynePayneTrayne CanuckRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX General Discussion
So, as you guys and gals may have seen we've done away with the old two group set-up. Now, we're going to just have one large fitness group that encompasses all of our blood, sweat and tears instead of having two smaller groups. Fitocracy is still just going to have the two groups for now, and we can change that later if anything comes up.

For now, just start posting about your fitness goals for your next PAX!

PAXEast 2013 Fitocracy Group
PAXPrime 2013 Fitocracy Group

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
PayneTrayne on

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    sounds like a plan :D we're like, what, 6 months out from East? pretty sweet.

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    Woo! Super team is goooo.

So, missing my weigh-in on Thursday because of vacation, should I weigh-in tomorrow (for last week) and then again on Thursday (for my next weigh-in) or should I just screw it and weigh-in on Thursday only? Not gonna lie, I weighed myself for shits and giggles today and wasn't too pleased with the number it showed me (although this is after eating and was later in the day, yada yada excuses yada yada).

Gotta get back on track now and push, push, push.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Maybe a new thread was just what I needed to get back into the swing of things! Slipped off my nutrition and exercise plan in the last month and can definitely feel the 7 lbs I've put back on. Late-August/September is wicked stressful when you work at a university :(

5I7JEDi.png
  • ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Huh. I kinda liked knowing the all people in that thread would be at PAX East, this is weird.

Anyways, down another 1.8 pounds this week, which is awesome! Also lost a Weight Watchers point, which isn't quite as awesome. Also, back to walking before work and at night again! My foot is finally back up to snuff, althought it'll be a while before I can put my Vibrams back on. Super glad I had an old pair of Nike Air's that were practically unused!

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    New forum is new. Hello to the Primers out there. My injured foot is a little better, but still tender.. not running on it for another week to make sure. After that, it's game on.

Note to self: Ankle braces for basketball from now on. I'm too old for this shit.

Ankle braces are lovely. Wearing one tonight for floor hockey.

So, I did an off the record weigh-in a little ago and it looks like I am down a little (as in less than a pound). Feels good to see that since I jumped on the scale yesterday randomly and it said I gained 5 lbs. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    I kind of like this since I was in both groups. Makes it easier for me to keep up on the threads. ;)

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I preferred the split treatment of the groups, I'll be honest, but alas the forums have changed and we must change with it.

That being said, I go to both PAXes so I got to see some of the faces that I had associated with simple usernames. That being said, if we do another meet-up at PAX, which is obviously going to happen, I want to see more attendance! Not nearly enough people were at either meet-ups and I think that's something we can improve on later.

For now, I just have to wait and buy knee wraps before I start doing leg workouts again. Squats and leg presses were absolutely killer. x.x

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    I attempted to get to the East meet-up but got there and no one was there (from what I could tell). We should get shirts made! I would say put how much you lost since your start, but I'm sure not everyone would want to do that, plus it might be a hassle for everyone to have a different shirt.

bYf6vNQ.png
    So I ran my first ever 5k tonight. My time was 38:13. My reward? Three huge fucking blisters. Note to self: Buy real running shoes that are wide enough.

i've been bad since PAX, but starting to really focus up. I'm definitely in the mood to make a meet-up, hopefully I'll be free during the next one :P

I'd still love to get a casual 5K going for us somewhere around East, will focus in on that when we get a little closer :D

@PayneTrayne Congrats on the 5k! That's awesome.. I remember doing my first last year, as a direct result of this forum and getting my ass into shape, and it was awesome. But yes, proper running shoes is a must :)

@ishtra I was actually mapping out a 5k that would involve minimal street crossings that started and ended at BCEC. Will need to look at the map again to figure it out.

Also stepped on the scale for the first time in 2 weeks, since I twisted my ankle and haven't been in the gym. Surprisingly lost 2 lbs from before the injury (down to 216), and am back within range of my lowest from when I was fully committed. Time to get that focus back, though I'm still walking right now thanks to that tender ankle. Hoping to be jogging by next week, but don't want to hurt my foot before the Extra Life marathon, where I plan on playing Rock Band for 24 hours (which means I need a healthy ankle for drums ;) )

• BrakdorBrakdor Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    vttym wrote: »
    I was actually mapping out a 5k that would involve minimal street crossings

Surprisingly lost 2 lbs from before the injury (down to 216)

yeah I'm wondering if I can find the original post you made about that. b/c it would be fun :)

and congrats!

EDIT - forgot to sign him out - this is Ishtra :P

Brakdor on
  • adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    redfield85 wrote: »
    I attempted to get to the East meet-up but got there and no one was there (from what I could tell). We should get shirts made! I would say put how much you lost since your start, but I'm sure not everyone would want to do that, plus it might be a hassle for everyone to have a different shirt.

Me too. I looked around after the fitocracy panel at East and didn't see a group so we left. Then again with so many people in the halls it was hard to tell where/if there was a group.

adias.angel on
    Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    I think a big problem was a lack of actually knowing what people look like. There will be a mugshots request before PAXEast for sure though I'm pretty sure BaconSandwich is still in charge of that. I just made this thread because I noticed he hadn't been active in a while.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Glad there's another thread! Everyone has been very quiet on fitocracy...

I was at the East meetup.. there was a group that met up outside, but I guess it could have passed as a group of random folks. I recognized Bacon's helmet, so that's how I knew I was in the right spot.

Next year, I'll hold a sign... or at least have a shirt that says "@vttym" :)

I was also at the East meet-up, only found it because of Bacon's helmet and vttym's face and I'm pretty sure he wore the exact same hat. Fun thing about the fitness group meet-ups, they both made me feel incredibly young and a little bit out of place but then talking to everyone made it awesome.

That being said I'm so down for a 5k fun-run now that I know I can actually run 5k and not die. Depending on the day, Friday would probably kill me as I intend to do the PokeCrawl.

I would rather do anything than a 5k during PAX East. It's a time to have fun and relax for a weekend for me!

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    It really depends on what is going on at PAX at the time.

Had some chicken+rotisserie spice, white rice (yea, yea, I know. eat brown.), and two packets of cinnamon applesauce. Nom. I really want steak and peppers sometime this week.

bYf6vNQ.png
    I think this year I'll bring a sign to help make the meetup more visible. Also plan to not be late this time due to pokecrawl-related alcohol poisoning.
    As for a 5k... I think I'll opt out.

5I7JEDi.png
    would love to have something identifiable to find the group, provided I'm not stuck somewhere :P

Filled the fridge with yogurt today - delicious treats now waiting for me after work

SO I got some snide remarks at the gym and I'm curious for those of you who lift. Who lifts 'raw' and who uses 'supplementary technology'? I just ask because I got knee wraps (my knee was clicking during squats and leg presses so I needed the added alignment/pressure) and a few people mentioned that this wasn't as good/useful as doing lifts without the wraps.

SO I got some snide remarks at the gym and I'm curious for those of you who lift. Who lifts 'raw' and who uses 'supplementary technology'? I just ask because I got knee wraps (my knee was clicking during squats and leg presses so I needed the added alignment/pressure) and a few people mentioned that this wasn't as good/useful as doing lifts without the wraps.
    Okay, so I'm only going off what I've read while learning to use the gym over the last year, and have never asked a trainer or chiropractor (though since my dad is one I probably should), so take this with a grain of salt. Using straps reduces the stress on supporting/secondary muscles and tendons. Some suggest lower weight/higher rep instead in order to build up those muscles, gradually increasing the weight as able (also using dumbbells instead of machines/barbells, as those make it easier to go higher weight by doing the "support" for you). This is what I've been doing.
    And proper form is key.
    However, if you've suffered an injury/surgery or just have bad joints, wraps and straps are probably a good idea. Honestly, I'd say check in with a doctor or trainer and go with whatever they tell you. Especially if it's something precious like your knees. "Better safe than sorry" should be my next tattoo :lol:

5I7JEDi.png
    Yeah, going with what Direwolf said, make sure the form is right first. It may be worth spending some $$ up front for a few personal trainer sessions to get feedback on that, and on whether using wraps is a good idea, but ultimately, your health is more important that mockery at the gym. If you blow your knee out, the people making the comments aren't the ones who suffer.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular

I'll echo the form thing - first and foremost make sure you're lifting correctly/safely. As for wraps, I'm of the opinion that if you enjoy lifting with them and feel more comfortable with wraps, use them. Additionally, sometimes your muscles can handle the weight and your joints can't, and wraps would help provide extra support. If the wraps are helping your knee for squats, screw those people who said you shouldn't use them.

I use wrist wraps and a belt for squats - bench and deadlift are completely raw at this point. I tried out knee wraps once, but they felt really strange, so I'm not using them. I might try them again in a few months just to see if they help (since my squats are finally getting to a respectable level).

• TubeTube Registered User admin

They're full of shit.

• TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    ohai new thread

@PayneTrayne Congrats on the 5k!

And I'd definitely be up for a 5k at East. It would have to be in the morning though; I wouldn't want to sacrifice con time to run it.

As for goals by East It'd be pretty sweet to have a 200/300/400 bench/squat/deadlift in addition to being in training for a half marathon. We'll see how those work together (or not at all). Right now I'm at 160/250/335 and my knee (presumed IT Band Syndrome) can't handle much more than a 5k.

I leave with this: K8meu.jpg

TheTinMan on
    edited October 2012
    My resolution this year was to just lose weight. Now it is to be under 200lbs (since maybe freshmen year of high school or earlier...yikes). Long term, I just want to be able to take my shirt off at the pool. Haha. Sounds stupid, but I am sick of wearing a shirt.

I don't have a PAX East goal. Maybe I should make one. Hmmm...

edit: Seeing as I put "Lbs-Loss Goal" in my PAX East checklist, I'll just come up with an appropriate weight for then. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    TheTinMan wrote: »
    And I'd definitely be up for a 5k at East. It would have to be in the morning though; I wouldn't want to sacrifice con time to run it.

yeah I'm all for that - want to max out con time - but sneaking in a 5K would be cool. Might check in with the Cookie Brigade as well and see if they want to set up a cookie spot near us so we can drum up extra donations :) will play by ear.

Went on a weekend vacation, ate like a monster at an all you can eat fried chicken and seafood place, gained 3 pounds. Wouldn't have done anything different for the world! :-D Was back on the horse the next day, it was a speed bump, not a roadblock.

Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • WormdundeeWormdundee Registered User regular
    I'm not doing it too seriously but I am down to roughly 160 pounds from my peak of almost 180. I have problems in that none of my jeans fit properly any more.

edited October 2012
    back to running - got kind of crushed by it tonight ... but working on improving my time for a halloween costumed run :P.

Really wanted cookies tonight and the BF was not around to keep me busy - so took myself to the gym before I got too munchie. Counting that as a win :)

Edit - also, does it count as cardio when my heart was racing this morning during booking? B/c I'm giving myself a point for that bit.

ishtra on
    Yea, I am still stressing over PAX just because I want to plan everything right now (Pokecrawl stuff, panels, games to bring, etc).

I've used all my extra weekly WW points (and have even gone over). We will see how I do at weigh-in on Thursday. I've played ice hockey twice and floor hockey once. Might play some ice tomorrow or Wednesday.

bYf6vNQ.png
    edited October 2012
    Got on the scale this morning, now I'm only .8 pounds up from what I was on Friday! WOOHOO, not even a pound of damage from my gluttonous feast! Today's a good day. :-D

Chorazin on
    Twitter//@chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Today's a good day. :-D
    love that !

• TheTinManTheTinMan Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Wormdundee wrote: »
    I'm not doing it too seriously but I am down to roughly 160 pounds from my peak of almost 180. I have problems in that none of my jeans fit properly any more.

@Wormdundee That is a terrible problem to have. :D
    ishtra wrote: »
    back to running - got kind of crushed by it tonight ... but working on improving my time for a halloween costumed run :P.

Really wanted cookies tonight and the BF was not around to keep me busy - so took myself to the gym before I got too munchie. Counting that as a win :)

Edit - also, does it count as cardio when my heart was racing this morning during booking? B/c I'm giving myself a point for that bit.

@ishtra What's your costume? I have a friend that did a 5k as River Tam - complete with combat boots. They did not help.

Gym instead of cookies? Definitely a win!

And yes, definitely cardio. I assume booking things for the wedding?
    Chorazin wrote: »
    Got on the scale this morning, now I'm only .8 pounds up from what I was on Friday! WOOHOO, not even a pound of damage from my gluttonous feast! Today's a good day. :-D

@Chorazin Woo good day!

And I had a good day yesterday. I ran 2.1 miles and had both no pain or even funniness in the knee and also ran faster than 10 min/mi (8:45!) for for the first time since hurting my knee in May. woooo!

TheTinMan on
    edited October 2012
    @TheTinMan We're doing Peter Pan style - So I'll be Peter Pan, @Brakdor is Captain Hook and 2 friends will be an extra pirate (maybe a Smee) and Tinker Bell. We had a Wendy, but she suddenly got a work shift that night, so no Wendy :(

haha and booking is actually for PAX stuff. Thankfully, the wedding stuff has been booked for ages, to the point where we're itching to do finishing touches and the vendors don't want to meet as soon as we do. ::sigh:: alas.

Nice run time though! I'm trying to get back to my 10-min mile then break that again. My goal is to beat my 26min 5K, but I haven't been training as diligently as I should be. soon soon.

---
    Edit- just weighed in and am down 3 lbs :D yay for not eating cookies anymore. Only 7 to go to get back to my goal weight :)

ishtra on
    Stepped on the scale today and realized I've been making too many excuses. Time to sacrifice a bit of sleep to hit the gym when I need to.

ishtra wrote: »
    Edit- just weighed in and am down 3 lbs :D yay for not eating cookies anymore. Only 7 to go to get back to my goal weight :)

But what about ginger spice cookies?! :'(

Haha.
    Stepped on the scale today and realized I've been making too many excuses. Time to sacrifice a bit of sleep to hit the gym when I need to.

I might be am in the same boat.

bYf6vNQ.png