As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] Challenge Coin - No more coins!

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Wow, this got active quick! A few comments:

Remember, nothing copyrighted. No commercial logos. No Cheers, no Dunkin Donuts, no PAX logo even; the PA folks have been very clear that forum stuff has to avoid using PA intellectual property, so as to avoid the appearance that they approved it. Personally, I definitely support the bridge over the convention center, as convention centers always look very bland to me. If we must do it, then Flatline's suggestion of the 5th anniversary seems like a good suggestion (although come to think of it, maybe we should wait 2 years, for the 5th anniversary of the BCEC hosing it, as it was in the other convention center the first year).

Networked handhelds are an excellent idea, I think, or even controllers. Remember, the gaming side can be a little stylized, maybe three controllers all hooked to a single console, each from a different era. For example, an Atari joystick, an NES controller, and a Playstation controller all connected to a Sega Genesis. Something similar could work for handhelds too, I think, but there's just not as much variety in handhelds (we're pretty much talking different generations of Gameboys).

I like the Settlers/Meeple ideas too, but I think that's something that's very dependent on the details of the design. I think if you want to convince us, you're probably going to have to do a mock-up...

I sympathize with people wanting concerts / lines / pranks / cookies / whatever represented, but the long-time consensus has been that PAX is, at its core, a gaming convention. The various other things that occur are all part of the central premise of gaming (gaming-themed bands, lines for games or panels about games, pranks which reference games, cookies which support a gaming charity, etc.). So the coin really needs to be about gaming, in my opinion. And the basic themes for the two sides (host city / gaming) have been working pretty well for us for a few years now.

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    Oh, man... I love the idea of having the BCEC as the logo on the 5th anniversary PAX coin! I like the Zakim Bunker Hill Bridge (that's the official name) on 2013s coin, however. As for the gaming side, what about a combination of what others have suggested? I was thinking maybe the atari joystiq, an outline two cards, and a simplistic styled picture of a board game? Or maybe a four way with a picture of a computer as well? I know the images can't be too detailed, so I was thinking of doing something along the lines of what video game magazines do, using simplistic logo to denote what system the game is for.

And I'm definitely jumping the gun here, but now I'm thinking of PAX East 5 as well!!!!

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    What about a coat of arms w/ the shield divided into 4 parts - one with a dice, one with a handheld, one for a console and one for board games? or something similar... thoughts?

Who is going to PAX South?
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    What about a coat of arms w/ the shield divided into 4 parts - one with a dice, one with a handheld, one for a console and one for board games? or something similar... thoughts?

As stated earlier, we were told in previous years that a coat of arms is too detailed to be captured accurately on a coin. Maybe Phoenix can tell us differently this year, but that's what I remember from the first few years of coins.

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    flatline wrote: »

As stated earlier, we were told in previous years that a coat of arms is too detailed to be captured accurately on a coin. Maybe Phoenix can tell us differently this year, but that's what I remember from the first few years of coins.

it also seems to be a fairly well-established tradition to focus on one type of gaming for each coin, rather than trying to cram everything onto one. there have been many coins in our past and will be many more in our future, there's really no need for one coin to represent everything.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • gljvdgljvd Registered User regular
    how much have they cost in the past ?

gljvd wrote: »
    how much have they cost in the past ?

About $5. That's good basic info to have, I'll add it to the front page.

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    love something to do with the handhelds versus just an awesome looking joystick of sorts.
    and I like the idea of holding off on the BCEC until its hosting anniversary :D

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • KapolKapol Registered User regular
    Here's a few ideas for the gaming side:

-A phone with the image of a controller (I'm thinking a NES controller might work best, but whatever seems right) inside of it.
    -A 3DS, DS, or Game Boy hooked to a PSP or Vita via some kind of cable. Not sure how that might work best though...
    -Four separate controller types in each corner of the coin. So, if looking at the Welcome Home as the bottom, in the upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right. I'm thinking PS3, 360, NES (or Wii U controller, something to represent Nintendo), and either a keyboard or sega/dreamcast controller. The keyboard could possibly be replaced with a mouse. Each could be big enough to either touch the ones to the side, or allow for some overlapping. All while the cords from each meet in the center to form an X.

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    The phone idea is kind of interesting. I personally don't play games on my phone, and I don't know how many other PAX attendees do, but given the recent rise in popularity of the cell/smart phone as a gaming platform, it may be an appropriate choice.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    So i could go for the Atari joystick or some handheld idea but i'm thinking that i like the board game idea as well. I think that the hexagons of Catan could make an interesting design. Plus it would be recognizable.
    As for the Boston side, i have to say the bridge. I don't know anything about it, but the pictures look cool lol. :)

• misterjeffmisterjeff Registered User regular
    I hadn't known about the coins until now! If I had, I would have been buying them all along. I like the idea of the BCEC on one side and the linked Gameboys on the other.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm also a pretty big fan of the linked game boys, but I really like the board game ideas too. I'm in agreement that we should wait till 2015 to use the BCEC (the 5th PAX in the BCEC).

• eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    The linked game boys is a great idea imho. As for the flip side, any of the given ones are great, but I agree that we should wait till the 5th anniversary of PAX in the BCEC to use it on the coin...just makes it that much more special for the 5th year.

0j92muX.png
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    Or best of all worlds, a drawing that is a 3/4 top down view of a queue line that wraps snake style back and forth either from bottom to top or left to right, and in the line are all of the various aspects of PAX - person playing hand-held, people getting pranked, cookie brigade, cards, enforcers.. almost a where's waldo. I know there's not a lot of space, and this would require an artist's touch to do, but it could be all things.. and therefore epic :)
    Are you going to carry around a coin the size of a manhole cover? :)

Otherwise, I definitely like the Zakim bridge idea.

Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I will be organizing a coin lunch, again, at legal sea food. It will be up to whomever is organizing sales/deliveries if they want to make this a distribution channel- I'll gladly do deliveries at it, but I'm making one thing clear: If you buy a coin and opt to pick it up at lunch, and don't show up at the lunch, your coin is being donated directly to the cookie brigade- either because I sell it to someone else, or hand it to them to sell to someone else.

Or, whoever organizes sales opts not to bother with that level of madness, in which case it'll just be a scheduled lunch to get away, know you have a place to have lunch reserved for one day, and get to meet other active forum community members. It was wicked fun last year, so I suggest you come ;)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    Due to the rabid memes of the year, I'd like to see a horse with a wii-mote in its mouth being ridden by a knight (Ala dominion dark ages) on one side of the coin, and a Bobcat on the other. Because this is the year of the Bobcat, yo.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Kiashien wrote: »
    Due to the rabid memes of the year, I'd like to see a horse with a wii-mote in its mouth being ridden by a knight (Ala dominion dark ages) on one side of the coin, and a Bobcat on the other. Because this is the year of the Bobcat, yo.

Yes...Bobcats.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • rileyperrileyper Registered User regular
    I'm in can't wait to see the design. My gaming group loved my coin from earlier this year so you may see an order of 15-30 coins from team9000gaming.

Pax Prime 2014 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [x] BYOC [not attending :(]
    Pax South 2015 checklist: Accommodations[x] Travel [x] Time Off [ ] BYOC [x]
    Pax East 2015 checklist: Accommodations[ ] Travel [ ] Time Off [ ] BYOC [ ]
    fss.png
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I personally love the idea of Catan as the gaming side. Even just the hex grid for it is recognizable.

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Zakim is an awesome idea. :) Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Ln5yLL7.png
  • OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    I got the Prime 2012 coin and loved it, so I'm looking forward to seeing what the East 2013 coin looks like. PC gaming being represented last year was great, so it would be cool to see something else, including the board game and card ideas.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Sleepy KittySleepy Kitty Registered User regular
    For some strange reason I always thought these coins were way more expensive and never got in on them , I think this year that will change, all the ideas sounds awesome and can't wait to see what the final product will look like.

• ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I'd love to see the Zakim on the coin. And as for the gaming side, I love meeples.

What is this "link cable" you guys are speaking of? xD

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Duo_gameboy.jpg

• gerafingerafin Registered User regular
    Zakim Bridge is definitely iconic enough to use on the coin. As for the other side, I think hexagons should be included in some way - you don't have to make them the hexes from a specific game, but they're ubiquitous enough in gaming that they would be recognizable even as a background.

• ErickaJoErickaJo MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Well, if you can class them up like that, sure. I remember a lot more knots in mine ;)

• Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    Can't wait to get this year's coin worked out and pick one up :) Loved last year's coin, got it sitting on my desk here.

I like the anniversary idea of the BCEC as well. For this year I prefer the linked Gameboys to the phone idea. To me its more universal for gamers and the imagery of togetherness I think really symbolizes the spirit of PAX.

Or perhaps have like an evolution kind of image for mobile gaming. Start with a Gameboy or something and then sort of work your way to modern times and have the last one be a phone. Sort of a roots to where we are now kind of image.

E68SJmZ.png
    Hexagons may look distinctive, but they can look distinctively like a beehive. Like I said, the boardgame ideas are going to be much more dependent on specific designs. We know what a pair of linked gameboys look like, but "something with hexagons and meeple" could look like almost anything. So far, it looks like those are the two basic categories of suggestion that have support for the gaming side (either German boardgaming, or linked handhelds).

It sounds like we're really solidifying around the Zakim Bridge for the Boston landmark. No rush to cut things off just yet, but any new ideas are going to need a lot of momentum to overcome the 9-ish people who have already expressed support for that. BCEC will clearly get used, either next year or the year after.

• Arithon32Arithon32 Member of the Pinquisition Registered User regular
    What about doing the linked Game Boys over a field of hexes? Run the cable to look like a road in Catan maybe?

vru37z14gk5j.png

• Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    What is we did something like this: http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/215/5/7/alternate_catan_hexes_by_avangion-d59qimm.jpg instead of the full board. Or include a sheep, everyone loves the sheep! ;)

Who is going to PAX South?
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Clearly, a Catan-sized hexagonal coin that creates a new PAX-themed resource solves the problem! ;)

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Duo_gameboy.jpg

i think this particular image is actually perfect for the coin. the biggest thing the linked handheld concept has over the board game one (and don't get me wrong, i love me some catan) is that it's very symbolic of community and gaming TOGETHER, which is such a big part of the spirit of pax. i really think it's perfect.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • mishappmishapp CalgaryRegistered User regular
    Those linked Gameboys are perfect. Also I totally agree with everything tvethiopia said about them.

• JimmyWildJimmyWild Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Yeah i love the linked Game Boy image idea. Still like (love?) the Catan hexs to though. But yeah, the linked Game Boys is pretty iconic. :D

• eloelo That guy over there... Smoke stack central, NJRegistered User regular
    That linked gameboys pic is great, and I think the Zakim bridge works for the other side too. Just my two cents :)

0j92muX.png
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    If you do linked Gameboys, it would only make sense to have a mini representation of Tetris on screen :)

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'm all for having the Zakim (or as its otherwise known, the Buckner bridge) as the Boston landmark.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • CheddaIceCheddaIce Registered User regular
    Or perhaps have like an evolution kind of image for mobile gaming. Start with a Gameboy or something and then sort of work your way to modern times and have the last one be a phone. Sort of a roots to where we are now kind of image.

I had a similar thought and I completely agree. Not exactly sure how it should manifest though. For what it's worth, I tried to mocked up a potential idea. Please pardon the crudeness of my .ppt skills. I'm sure someone with artistic ability could take this and make it awesome.

The idea is that the Gameboy represents our beginnings, the "zig-zag" represents the passing of time, the cord represents the paths gaming took moving forward, the tablet represents one manifestation of present-day portable gaming, and the other two connectors represent various other current portable gaming platforms. Feel free to make fun of it if you think it sucks.

coinidea.jpg

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    vttym wrote: »
    If you do linked Gameboys, it would only make sense to have a mini representation of Tetris on screen :)

I was totally thinking this too! Or at least, when someone mentioned Catan hexes as a background, my mind immediately jumped to Tetris background for linked Gameboys.

Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
This discussion has been closed.