As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[State of Decay] YOSE available now on XBone/PC. $10 off for returning SoD owners!

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
edited April 2015 in Games and Technology
State-of-Decay-logo.png

Question: Are you tired of zombie games? Y/N

Y: I don't wish to know you, go away. You are a person who is awful and smells dumb.

N: What up mang? You are the sunshine that makes the world go round. Also your sexual organs are above average in size, making you the envy of your peers.

http://undeadlabs.com/news/

From the official site:

The end is here. Life as you knew it has gone to hell after the mother of all zombie outbreaks. Now you and the few scattered survivors must band together to survive and rebuild in a 3rd-person action game set in a dynamic open world. You choose where to make your stand, designing and fortifying your home base, performing daring raids for food and ammunition, and rescuing other playable survivors with unique talents. The open, sandbox world develops in real-time, shaped by your actions, dynamically generating content based on your choices and the ever-increasing zombie threat.

State of Decay is an open world zombie-survival game, currently under development at Undead Labs for release on Xbox LIVE Arcade and PC.

Trailer:

http://youtu.be/U8yvLrjnGdU

It looks kind of like that Fort Zombie game that I so desperately wanted to play, but never could. I didn't know that this game was a thing until I saw a trailer this weekend. Did a google search and didn't find any thread dedicated to it here, so I figured my lazy ass would do it. I didn't see anything on the site about release date info, but hopefully its sometime this year.

Also, apparently they had a demo/booth at PAX. Anybody that went and played it (it was a good showing, it looks like) come give us your impressions!

Guns. We need lots of guns. (Weapon List so far)

http://i.imgur.com/Hi0DT.jpg

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
Skull2185 on

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Yet another cool looking Zombie game on my radar that I can only helplessly long for. It seems like they are trying to focus on a core gameplay of gathering and managing limited resources and desperately trying to maintain a base, which appeals to me a lot. Color me interested, now I just have to try to forget about this until whenever it releases.

Seriously, the current industry standard of teasing about games years in advance of their release is starting to drain on me.

Vic on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Looks a little rough but fun.

Hope there's a multiplayer mode. Someone watches the safehouse while others to get supplies.

Also hope it's a little more free form then "sneak level", "drive level", "defense level", etc...

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    Trying to harvest some more info on the game from the website.

The game looks to be srs bizness, with the devs promising "You will die". It also looks like you get to create your initial survivor(design his/her looks and skills/abilities). Other survivors you may choose to save might have other skills you need, and you can switch to them and play as them when needed.

It also looks like in game time will continue to pass, even when you aren't playing. There were some concerns expressed on the game's forums about this, but the devs say they've taken into account the people who can only manage to squeeze in some game time once or twice a week.

Also, tidbits from their Twitter feed:

They are hoping to launch the game early next year.

You will be able to grow your own produce for food in the game. Sadly you cannot breed/keep livestock.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Halfway through that trailer I just started hitting the screen with my wallet.

all my zenny

take it

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Trying to harvest some more info on the game from the website.

The game looks to be srs bizness, with the devs promising "You will die". It also looks like you get to create your initial survivor(design his/her looks and skills/abilities). Other survivors you may choose to save might have other skills you need, and you can switch to them and play as them when needed.

It also looks like in game time will continue to pass, even when you aren't playing. There were some concerns expressed on the game's forums about this, but the devs say they've taken into account the people who can only manage to squeeze in some game time once or twice a week.

Also, tidbits from their Twitter feed:

They are hoping to launch the game early next year.

You will be able to grow your own produce for food in the game. Sadly you cannot breed/keep livestock.

It's like the awesomest combination of Dead Island, Harvest Moon and the Sims there can be. Man I hope they can pull it off.

• Options
    More Twitter stuff:

State of Decay is known as Class 3. It probably will not include multiplayer(I'm guessing) because they've also planned "Class 4" which will be another game in the SoD universe. It will be an MMO.

Definite word from the mouth of devs- "We aren't launching with coop." Above is the reason why I assume. They do, however, hope to patch coop in at a later date after launch.

Zombies can and will break down windows and doors that are not barricaded. The game features a robust base building element.

Should I add these things to the OP? I don't really make threads...

• Options
    Wonder if the Class 3/4 stuff is referencing the Zombie Survival Guide.

If Class 4 has everything from Class 3 in it.... I might actually skip State of Decay and wait for the MMO.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Nocren wrote: »
    Wonder if the Class 3/4 stuff is referencing the Zombie Survival Guide.

If Class 4 has everything from Class 3 in it.... I might actually skip State of Decay and wait for the MMO.

No no. No skipping! We will all give them our monies.

Also, Undead Labs is like... super nice and quick to respond on Twitter. There are some upcoming feature articles re: Character skills/ progression in the (hopefully) near future.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I've done it with some other games (buy the prequel to support a sequel).

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    More Twitter stuff:

State of Decay is known as Class 3. It probably will not include multiplayer(I'm guessing) because they've also planned "Class 4" which will be another game in the SoD universe. It will be an MMO.

BOOOOOOO

• Options
    Here's a good write-up: http://elder-geek.com/2012/09/state-of-decay-preview/
    In November of 2009, MMO industry veteran Jeff Strain set out to create the definitive zombie-survival game for gamers with help from his new Seattle based studio, Undead Labs.
    State of Decay is an ambitious open world zombie-survival third person action game currently behind developed for Xbox Live Arcade and PC that lets the player decide where and how they are going to survive. As somebody who has personally been following the progress of Undead Labs and State of Decay, back when it was known as Class 3, I was not going to pass up the opportunity to get some hands on time. The setting of State of Decay is one many gamers are familiar with, a zombie apocalypse, but State of Decay doesn’t stop at just letting the player slay hordes of the undead at his will. Players will need to adapt and be resourceful in order to stay alive and keep their community surviving. That’s right, you are not alone during the mother of all zombie outbreaks. You will need to find other survivors and decide either to help them and have them hopefully join your community or let them fend for themselves. I’ll let you guys in on a little secret, helping other survivors and building your community is a far better decision.

In State of Decay you are not stuck playing one character the entire time, player character death is permanent and switches you to another member in your community. Once you run out of community members to play, it’s game over. Each survivor has their own unique traits and abilities that allow them to aid your community in growing and surviving for longer. Some survivors might have been cooks before the outbreak, and thus able to create food and grow items in the garden. Others might have been police officers or military personnel that make them more keen to using firearms and fighting off the zombies. Your community allows you to fortify and build new buildings inside of the compound of your base. You can build things like gardens for food, construction benches for modifying weapons, and lookout towers.

State of Decay‘s dynamic open world is where the player is the most vulnerable. While driving around and smashing into zombies with my sports car car was a total blast, I had to remind myself why I had left the safety of my fort in the first place. I was on a mission to retrieve some supplies from a local hardware store. Before leaving however, I grabbed a shotgun, a small handgun, and a katana. There are a large variety of weapons available in the game from handguns, assault rifles, shotguns, sniper rifles, and melee as well. The melee weapons all have their own unique play style and special maneuvers you can unlock and use to bash your way through the undead. After been mesmerized by the weapons I finally took off for my mission. Along the way I meet another survivor who needed help holding of waves of zombies while she gathered her belongings and supplies. I gladly gave her a helping hand and in the end she asked if she could join my community. Woot, one more awesome member to help out! After some mindless zombie slaying and seeing the power of being able to call in an airstrike on a desired location of brain eating baddies I had finally arrived at my mission location.

The hardware store was swarming with zombies just itching for a helpless victim to try and enter the store…great. I jumped out of car and let it slam into a small pack of them. They went flying in the air, it was glorious. I then readied my shotgun and went head first into the swarm of zombies in front of the store, I quickly realized my pump action shotgun was not going to cut it, and I was in serious trouble if I didn’t get moving or at least start killing two or more at a time. I frantically switch to my katana in a desperate hail mary to chop off heads and severe some limbs…I was quickly overrun. As I lay there helpless, jamming the “A” button to get back up, I realized I was going to die in this store, and only about 3 feet away from the supplies I needed, damn. As the zombies take their final bites out of me, the screen faded to black and then I found myself playing as the survivor I had just recused. I was a man down but my community was not out yet! Sadly, that is where my time with the game had to end, however if I was to continue on I could have returned to the hardware store and recovery the items my previous character had in their backpack.

Currently State of Decay is a single player game, however Undead Labs does plan to incorporate co-op play into the game after launch. If you’re hoping for a similar experience but on a much larger scale make sure to pay attention to Undead Labs project called Class 4. Class 4 is planned to be the MMO version of State of Decay, and the feedback and responses received from State of Decay will be influencing Class 4. State of Decay is looking to be an amazing zombie survival game unlike anything we have seen or played before. With resources depleting as you scavenge, the ever present threat of zombies, and even a few nasty survivors, the world of State of Decay is one to surely experience

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    @Nocren hit the nail on the head: Looks rough but fun.

I would like to know more.

Also, hearing that they're doing a singleplayer game with intent to make an MMO later makes me think of a certain fantasy game made in Rhode Island.

Still, this looks fun. I want to play it.

• Options
    I was thinking that exact thing.

AMALUR NOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    I can't say for certain, but I imagine that SoD/Undead Labs wont run into the same obstacles that Amalur unfortunately did.

The company, for example, is headed by an industry veteran and not a (phenominal) hall of fame MLB pitcher.

• Options
    Plus starting actually small, a download title and will probably cost $20 instead of a shipped $60 one.

I just hope if the MMO is released it'll be console as well.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Man, this game sounds like everything I've always wanted in a zombie game. There's still a ton of time before release, so I wont get my hopes up, but I really hope there are no "special" types of zombies. Just the shamblers/sprinters from the trailer.

This was something I was hoping for in ZombiU, but those dreams were squashed.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular

It also looks like in game time will continue to pass, even when you aren't playing.

We all know how great that worked with Tamagotchis. Personally I think I'll pass on this if offline time still passes, no matter the pace. I'm not checking in on my video games. :)

I'll keep an eye on this and hope that changes, though. I love me some zombies.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• Options
    Well, some of the benefits would be things like your crops still growing, even while you're not playing. Have to stop playing for a day or so? Come back and "Woo, my carrots are done!" Also characters with injuries can heal while you're away. As long as your compound is secure, I doubt the zombies will be able to bust in and kill all your mans with nothing you can do about it.

• Options
    Also could be "While you were away:" followed by a list of things. I'll allow/forgive it if I can't die while I'm gone, but anyone I rescued could provided my compound wasn't secure enough.

Heh, I still remember making a comment about not having played Animal Crossing in awhile and wondering how my island was doing when in a chat online when someone shouts "My Nintendogs!" and leaves.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    tamagotchis were the best things ever what exactly is being said here

• Options
    I think I was in sixth grade when Tamagatchis were the big thing. They became too much of a distraction, so the teacher banned them. I could only check on my dog (or whatever the heck I had) during bathroom breaks... dog poop everywhere... and it was usually dead by the end of the day.

At any rate, I don't think State of Decay will be similar to tamagatchi.

• Options
    GameInformer interview!: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/09/17/state-of-decay.aspx

Choice bits:
    The game world is 16 square kilometers, of which about half is playable area. There are three towns, hundreds of houses, buildings, and stores to explore, and acres of farmland, forest, river bottoms, and forest. I’m not sure exactly how long it takes to run or drive from one end of the world to another. It takes a while. And you’re usually slowed down by things that want to eat you.

It’s no secret that co-op mode was one of our original objectives for State of Decay, because the game currently codenamed “Class4” is an online world. Game development is about hard choices, sometimes, and for the sake of the game, we chose to focus on our core concepts and systems: Survival simulation, action, dynamic content, and player empowerment with meaningful choices and consequences.

We do still hope to introduce co-op mode at some point after launch.

You will also be able to do things like holding your car door open while driving to plow through zeds ala Sleeping Dogs.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    all my dicks are coming

• Options
    I assume there's some sort of crafting skill involved, but you'll be able to create supressors for your guns out of duct tape and water bottles. With an upgraded workshop at your base, you can make suppressors that are almost as good as comercially available ones. You will also be able to find the real deal manufactured suppressors too.

• Options
    Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    This looks like it might be pretty close to what I wanted dead island to be.

• Options
    Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I loved what I got in Dead Island which was just Modern Time Zombie Borderlands but it wasn't what I expected.

• Options
    Just a tiny bit of new info:

When you start out in the game, and subsequent games, the NPC survivors you meet will always be the same with the same skill. This is to give you a varied mix of skills to help fortify your base. Once you progress a bit in the game though, survivors and skills are randomized. Say you find an ex-cop in the hardware store. Next time, it could be a chef or maybe no one will be there.

• Options
    So you start within a small camp of survivors and not solo?

I hope that's a difficulty option. Cause I know there are times when I'm gonna want to start alone/from nothing and see how far I can get from there.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    You still have to find and save them, i believe. I'm pretty sure you start out alone.

• Options
    Weapon info!

Here's a couple excursion loadouts from the PAX Demo:

oUkAN.jpg

qT36h.jpg

Here's an incredible, boner inducing list of all the guns announced, with even more to come!

http://i.imgur.com/Hi0DT.jpg

• Options
    Huge lists of guns mean nothing in a zombie game because all you want to use is a shotgun.

• Options
    I dunno, setting up on the outskirts of town, or on top of a building, with the .50 cal sniper rifle is awfully tempting too. Though, being too noisy with your guns is something you don't want to do in this game. Maybe they'll include shotgun supressors.

I hope they post a melee weapon list soon. Also, it's important to note that the PAX Demo was set up with the safe house chock full to the brim of weapons and items that would normally take you a long time to accrue. Your go-bags wont look anything like those screenshots until maybe way late in the game.

• Options
    Shotgun.

Chainsaw.

Everything else is "oh well if I MUST"

• Options
    Too damn noisy. Those are <"Let's Rock!" /Vasquez >
    weapons.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    I'm considering buying this just to provide financial support towards Undead Labs MMO. It looks like a fun romp, but considering my backlog and workload for my iOS game I don't have much time to play any new games right now.

Ughhhh... I hate being an adult :lol:

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Here's an interview with State of Decay's Writer Travis Stout

Also known for his work on Alpha Protocol (Steven Heck, Taipei) and New Vegas DLC Old World Blues

http://drinkingcoffeecola.blogspot.nl/2012/10/profile-on-games-writer-travis-stout.html

C2B on
  • Options
    Penis toes/fingers!

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    New short little video demonstrating a stealth/zombie distraction technique. This game needs to hurry up and come out already!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pApHmrG6LY

Link because embedding shit the bed I guess.

Edit: Or not...

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    oh god that music

I keep expecting to hear
    tumble out of bed
    stumble to the kitchen
    pour myself a cup of ambition
    and yawn and stretch and try to come to life

which is disturbingly appropos for the game subject matter D:

• Options
    Some stuff from a Q&A:

XBLA version is set to release "Early next year" PC version wont be out at the same time as Xbox. PC version will release a little bit later.

In SoD, you play as a community, and you customize the community by rescuing survivors with the traits and abilities you want. It’s a lot more interesting and complex than throwing points into an attribute and checking a skill box.

There is no friendly fire, in the sense that you cannot shoot another survivor. As of this writing, I do not yet know the status of landmines and grenades. However, I have learned that you can accidentally set people on fire with molotov cocktails.

You cannot go fully prone, but you can crouch. Yes, you can jump at any time, even without a reason. Hell, we even have emotes just for the fun of it.

New screenshot too (there were more, but my work PC is a little bitchy...):
    hY3Jt.jpg