As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Game On!]Warsow. It's awesome and it's free, ok?

13»

• TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I was interesting in this because you know, it was free and sounded like a good hour or two of fun.

After reading the thread creaters comments I am going to assume that the people that play this game are like him and I am never coming to come close to this game.

it does come with bots too, for those that are interested.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    So I was interesting in this because you know, it was free and sounded like a good hour or two of fun.

After reading the thread creaters comments I am going to assume that the people that play this game are like him and I am never coming to come close to this game.

it does come with bots too, for those that are interested.

Hmm. That sounds pretty good to me. Maybe once I stop killing myself trying to figure out EVE I will try this out then.

projectmayhem on
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    We should get some duels going. Like, soon.

Centipeed on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think you should, too. Unfortunately it's about time for me too sign off and turn in for some sleep. It's Canada Day tomorrow, so I don't think I'll have time to play. Maybe during the week if I get some time off work.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

It's not like trying will horrendously scar you for life. The games about 80 megs, not much of a download commitment if you're not on dialup.

Andorien on
  • DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Andorien wrote: »

It's not like trying will horrendously scar you for life. The games about 80 megs, not much of a download commitment if you're not on dialup.

That's what I thought too, but then I played it, and now I inexplicably have herpes. What do you make of that?

Djiem on
  • varlandvarland Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I love warsow, and I'll start playing it again when I buy a new gfx card this autumn. It won't make you carry baby-jesuses in your man-womb but it's a fun game. How about that.

I know, I know. Most here won't settle for anything less than a baby jesus, though.

Hey Page-, if you want to play with people go get an irc client, connect to quakenet and join #warsow.pickup.

varland on
  • AndorienAndorien Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

That's what I thought too, but then I played it, and now I inexplicably have herpes. What do you make of that?

Simple. I gave it to your girlfriend ;-)

Andorien on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Djiem wrote: »

Simple. I gave it to your girlfriend ;-)

Oh snap! :P

Seriously though, the OP's comments make me not want to play this game. It does, however, look interesting enough that I'm willing to look past that and give it a try. I doubt it will be anywhere near as good as UT2k4, HL2:DM, CS:S, Battlefield 2142, or ET:QW (even though it's in beta, it's still damned good I think), but I imagine it will be a fun diversion for a few days.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2007
    ^

If one person would deter me from a game then I'd play nothing that Dashui named "Flavour of the Week" in IRC.

varland on
    edited June 2007
    varland wrote: »
    ^

If one person would deter me from a game then I'd play nothing that Dashui named "Flavour of the Week" in IRC.

Ahahahahaha, so true. :D
    Not really, he has me wanting Two Worlds, among other things

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    ^

Played it, enjoyed it in SP, but he only wants it for the MP last I heard him rant.

varland on
    edited June 2007
    ^

Played it, enjoyed it in SP, but he only wants it for the MP last I heard him rant.
    Yeah, I enjoyed the SP too but I want to play the multiplayer, him and I are definitely hook up and play together.

edit: this sounds like a game a friend of mine would like. He's not big into FPS games, but any game that allows you to become better and better at it he loves. He got insanely good at Smash Bros. Melee, and there're various other games he's totally awesome at. I think this would be right up his ally.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
    edited June 2007
    ^

Yeah, I enjoyed the SP too but I want to play the multiplayer, him and I are definitely hook up and play together.

edit: this sounds like a game a friend of mine would like. He's not big into FPS games, but any game that allows you to become better and better at it he loves. He got insanely good at Smash Bros. Melee, and there're various other games he's totally awesome at. I think this would be right up his ally.
    By your description, he should love every game ever, ever.

varland on
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tig wrote: »
    I'm not much of an FPS gamer, but I know exactly what this game is about.
    My friend used be part of the Half-Life "Adrenaline Gamer" scene, which was all about insane movement.
    I witnessed it, and seriously... some of the things those guys could do was off the fucking wall. D:

They were able to build up cumulative momentum to the point where they were actually flying through the maps, literally not touching the ground. They could traverse an entire map in seconds, and catapult themselves into a tiny window with perfect accuracy; all while scoring frags so fast you can barely see it happening. :shock:
    That explains a lot about the level design, as does this video.

Frem on
  • ShujaaShujaa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just as in Q3, the Rocket Arena mode is the only fun part for me.

Shujaa on
  • AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Page- is kind of retarded when it comes to the concept of "depth." He (she?) thinks Q3A is the deepest FPS ever made, which befuddles me.

Heh, he's not alone. Just perhaps a little outnumbered around these parts :) I personally find Q3A/RA3 to be one of the deepest most satisfying FPS experiences I've ever had. Sure, most contemporary fps games are more complex, but I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone around here that complexity has little or no relation to depth. Not everyone has to agree, but I just felt like point that out :)
    I know your kind. I saw some of you play Quake 3 when it was released with absurd FOV, textures down to a minimum gray blur and reducing each and every setting that brought down graphical quality so you could bunnyhop better. Then the mods with words like "Perfect" and "Elite" in the title came out and you played nothing but that.

Quite frankly, you're a subgenre of a subgenre. Not many of you around here.

No, not trying to diss you here. Just sayin' that 98% of the forums don't consider Warsow either deep or epic or revolutionary.

I did a fair few of these things too. FOV 120, lowered the textures, lighting etc - I didn't go as extreme as to have them as different shades of gray :) Outside of CPMA/OSP and RA3 I never played any mods, so nothing with 'elite' or 'perfect' in the title. Warsow does cater for people like that and that's why I love it so. People tend to hate on it and games of its ilk because they think that FPS games have moved on and got better in every way since then. I tend not to agree :) I like all the new stuff, but I've yet to see a replacement for Q3 and co (lets not talk about stock Quake 4 >_>)

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Page- is kind of retarded when it comes to the concept of "depth." He (she?) thinks Q3A is the deepest FPS ever made, which befuddles me.

Heh, he's not alone. Just perhaps a little outnumbered around these parts :) I personally find Q3A/RA3 to be one of the deepest most satisfying FPS experiences I've ever had. Sure, most contemporary fps games are more complex, but I'm sure I don't have to tell anyone around here that complexity has little or no relation to depth. Not everyone has to agree, but I just felt like point that out :)
    I know your kind. I saw some of you play Quake 3 when it was released with absurd FOV, textures down to a minimum gray blur and reducing each and every setting that brought down graphical quality so you could bunnyhop better. Then the mods with words like "Perfect" and "Elite" in the title came out and you played nothing but that.

Quite frankly, you're a subgenre of a subgenre. Not many of you around here.

No, not trying to diss you here. Just sayin' that 98% of the forums don't consider Warsow either deep or epic or revolutionary.

I did a fair few of these things too. FOV 120, lowered the textures, lighting etc - I didn't go as extreme as to have them as different shades of gray :) Outside of CPMA/OSP and RA3 I never played any mods, so nothing with 'elite' or 'perfect' in the title. Warsow does cater for people like that and that's why I love it so. People tend to hate on it and games of its ilk because they think that FPS games have moved on and got better in every way since then. I tend not to agree :) I like all the new stuff, but I've yet to see a replacement for Q3 and co (lets not talk about stock Quake 4 >_>)

q4 1.4.2 (and bolstered by q4max) is a huge improvement over the sucky q4 1.0. They did release a new demo if anyone is curious and if it doesn't change your mind, probably never will then.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Alright, I'm back again. It seems I've actually found a little, tiny bit of back-up, too. Sweet.

Varland: I do have irc, just as I mentioned in the OP.

Back to idling in warsow.na and warsow.pa on quakenet.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • limester816limester816 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing is is that this game was not designed to be the next generation in graphics, but to take competitive gameply to the next level... and in that regard I think Warsow is almost the best.

limester816 on
  • TigTig Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Frem wrote: »
    Tig wrote: »
    I'm not much of an FPS gamer, but I know exactly what this game is about.
    My friend used be part of the Half-Life "Adrenaline Gamer" scene, which was all about insane movement.
    I witnessed it, and seriously... some of the things those guys could do was off the fucking wall. D:

They were able to build up cumulative momentum to the point where they were actually flying through the maps, literally not touching the ground. They could traverse an entire map in seconds, and catapult themselves into a tiny window with perfect accuracy; all while scoring frags so fast you can barely see it happening. :shock:
    That explains a lot about the level design, as does this video.

That's nothing - here's some examples of the total insanity that was Adrenaline Gamer (turn off the sound). :shock:
    Bear in mind that for a regular gamer, this thing wouldn't be moving any faster than Counsterstrike. Those guys are skilled.

Anyway, the AG scene is completely dead now, for all I know. But I would be surprised if there's anything out there which can beat it for pure speed.

Tig on
    edited July 2007
    Well, I downloaded this game and gave it a try. Just a big meh. It looks like and it runs smooth as silk but the gameplay feels off. Also, I didn't see anything in this game that hasn't been done before in other games, I'd hardly call it revolutionary. The best thing about it, honestly, is that it's open source and available for Linux (which gets shafted when it comes to games), and if I wanted to play a game while running Linux I'd just restart my computer and boot up XP.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm more of an elitist than page is when it comes to FPS games, but I try to keep my mouth shut around these 'ere parts. Shit, I'm still playing Quake1 CA. I may give Warsow another try but the early beta I played was rough.

I'm not convinced the movement is better than Q1.

Edit: woops, I'm sorry for bumping old threads, was lost in searches...

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png