As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Simcity] Where discussion of water pollution and power grids is normal.

• Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    More luck fucking Facebook, because that style of gameplay seems to be having the biggest effect on this. They are trying to take the FB Simcity and expand it to a full game, at least that's the feel I get.

Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Looks fun to me. Might not be "Sim City", but the game itself looks fun. Could this be a case where they would have been better off calling it something else as to not enrage the fans of the original?

No I don't.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Yes. You can't just make any old game and stick a storied name like SimCity on it. Well, you can, but people are going to yell at you.

It maybe a fine rendition of SimTown, or a new aged social village builder...but from what we've seen so far, it's not SimCity.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Seems like this is why they're trying to brand it as a reboot of the franchise rather than as a sequel. I do like the systems in place and I think they've decided that with those systems the largest city you can make before the game chugs isn't actually very big. Keep in mind the CPU load that goes into the kind of automated systems in place here - they are keeping track of every sim, every house and every resource that travels to them. From the videos they've been showing it looks far more complex than the trie-type systems that Simcity 1-4 were using. I can imagine sequels will be able to simply scale the size of the cities as CPU power becomes greater.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Am I the only one who's irritated by the thought of having to build roads everywhere as a poor replacement for dedicated utilites? Sure, it's convenient, but high-tensile wires exist in, you know, reality. And so do deep-running pipes.

Having everything running on underground street cables is...well, a little boring. Then again, I guess all you'll be building is a bunch of checkerboard hamlets, so who cares?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Whelp, I'm out. That ends any hope of this game turning out to be what I'd hoped.

It seems so silly that they look at everything that was great about the franchise, then proceed to chuck it out. The reason people like the SC games is not difficult to see.

• Options
    DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    Just got a beta email for this. Guess sign ups are starting.

http://www.simcity.com/en_US/beta/info

and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Read page 1

hole shit this looks awesome

Skip ahead to page 8

...Crap

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Read the whole thread, it's like watching a car wreck in slow motion. One minute we're all flying down a country road in our Civic hatchback smoking a joint, the next thing you know we're wrapped around a tree and three of our friends are dead.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    The thing is, I'm not convinced that this comes anywhere close to taxing modern hardware. The min specs are a 2005 PC, which is the same power as my SMARTPHONE. The real issue seems to be that they want to artificially restrict city tiles to the same size, so for that to run decently on a shit PC, everyone else suffers. Also, all cities in a region are being loaded at the same time for some reason, so there will be a lot of extra processing for stuff you aren't going to interact much with. And if the game is running on Origin cloud services -- how much of the processing is actually being done by their servers? Seems any cities that aren't your current one or direct neighbors could have batch updates every 5mins.

I'd rather they just offer larger regions/city tiles and just provide a warning based on a PC benchmark it runs when you install the game.

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    Read page 1

hole shit this looks awesome

Skip ahead to page 8

...Crap

Ditto, I first read this when the thread popped up, just checked it recently. Very let down.

My wife will probably still love the game though.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Have they said anything explicitly about modding? If there is a way to mod it (and always-online doesn't necessarily mean zero modding) surely it won't be long before any city-size limits are removed or massively increased.

Edit: Also re: the 3d engine, why haven't strategy/sim game developers capitalised on the Rayman Origins style of thinking? Why do something in 3d that struggles when we now have the power and resources to do something in 2D without any compromises? I still think Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 looks better than 3, I'd love to have an ultra-high res version of that or Sim City with all of the clever individual Sim-tracking going on but with simpler and cleaner graphics.

TPSou on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    They're pushing multiplayer as a core function of the gameplay, so there's no way in hell they'll let you mod that sort of fundamentally gaming-changing shit if they're going to affect neighboring player regions.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    TPSou wrote: »
    Have they said anything explicitly about modding? If there is a way to mod it (and always-online doesn't necessarily mean zero modding) surely it won't be long before any city-size limits are removed or massively increased.

Edit: Also re: the 3d engine, why haven't strategy/sim game developers capitalised on the Rayman Origins style of thinking? Why do something in 3d that struggles when we now have the power and resources to do something in 2D without any compromises? I still think Rollercoaster Tycoon 2 looks better than 3, I'd love to have an ultra-high res version of that or Sim City with all of the clever individual Sim-tracking going on but with simpler and cleaner graphics.

Preaching to the choir methinks.

I guess this isn't going to be for die-hard fans, even though the die-hards will still buy it... I probably will, because I'd still think I might be pleasantly surprised to some degree.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    After the wonderful surprise that was XCOM, I was hoping that this would, too, be a wonderful surprise.

Well, at least they got the surprise part right. I guess after the lukewarm reception of Spore, EA went off and demanded that SimCity be more like that other, much more successful franchise.

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Oh. Oh dear.

I see things have come to a head in sim land.

Condolences appear to be in order.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    After the wonderful surprise that was XCOM, I was hoping that this would, too, be a wonderful surprise.

Well, at least they got the surprise part right. I guess after the lukewarm reception of Spore, EA went off and demanded that SimCity be more like that other, much more successful franchise.

In regards to XCOM never in a million years would I have dreamed we'd get an actual remake. I figured I'd have to make do with off-brand Xcoms, but lo and behold here we are only a few days away from (what seems to me anyway) a real legitimate reboot of a cult classic.

SimCity on the other hand is a much beloved franchise with a tried and true formula that (IMO) would be hard to fuck up and lo and behold I am proven wrong again! Though in this case I wish I wasn't. :(

At least I still have SC4.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Axen wrote: »

In regards to XCOM never in a million years would I have dreamed we'd get an actual remake. I figured I'd have to make do with off-brand Xcoms, but lo and behold here we are only a few days away from (what seems to me anyway) a real legitimate reboot of a cult classic.

SimCity on the other hand is a much beloved franchise with a tried and true formula that (IMO) would be hard to fuck up and lo and behold I am proven wrong again! Though in this case I wish I wasn't. :(

At least I still have SC4.

With all the mods and user made content I should be happy about SC4's existence... But it is simply not stable enough to run on modern equipment. I invested months into a city only to get it to the point where it crashed upon loading.

Unless there is another way to play it (as it sits unloved in its box), I'm just going to have to mourn it.

Also, XCom is a fucking Christmas miracle. Its streamlined and modern, but it's also deeply entrenched in the original. Some people claim its "dumbed down", but all that has happened is Firaxis moved a lot of the data that used to be up front to the back, letting the player make tactical decisions instead of mathematical ones.

• Options
    edited October 2012

SimCity on Facebook? Because The Sims franchise still embraces modding and is not online only by any stretch of the imagination.
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Read the whole thread, it's like watching a car wreck in slow motion. One minute we're all flying down a country road in our Civic hatchback smoking a joint, the next thing you know we're wrapped around a tree and three of our friends are dead.

As many catastrophically hilarious fuck-ups in life, this too can probably be attributed to some pothead thinking he had a good idea. *sad smile*

*sharp wheeze* "Hey guys....what if if....hear me out, what if we made a SimCity game that was online and tiny and more personal?"

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Am I the only one who's irritated by the thought of having to build roads everywhere as a poor replacement for dedicated utilites? Sure, it's convenient, but high-tensile wires exist in, you know, reality. And so do deep-running pipes.

Having everything running on underground street cables is...well, a little boring. Then again, I guess all you'll be building is a bunch of checkerboard hamlets, so who cares?

I actually didnt like this at first and then it occurred to me that that's how it is in real life. Power lines follow roads, so do sewer pipes and whatnot. So does TV cable, Cell phone towers, etc. They don't all always follow roads all the time, but in any metropolitan area they absolutely follow roads. So it seems like they are trying to reduce certain annoyances. I remember doing water pipes in SC4 and I can see how they are trying to simplify and steamline some technical aspects of a city. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not disagreeing, but I want to see more.

I remember SC4 when it first came out. Everyone bought it and loved it but we all had a goddamn hard time until we really learned the nuance of the game and all the technical shit. I love SC4 now because I actually know how to play it, but I remember in 2004 when I struggled and cursed because the game was so complex. I love it for what it is now and I'm terrified to see what SC has become with this new title. When I saw that the game was $80 on origin I almost shit.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    As many catastrophically hilarious fuck-ups in life, this too can probably be attributed to some pothead thinking he had a good idea. *sad smile*

*sharp wheeze* "Hey guys....what if if....hear me out, what if we made a SimCity game that was online and tiny and more personal?"

Hey, I've smoked my fair share of grass, and I would never come up with this dumb idea...don't hoist that on us :(

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    Welp, looks like its back to OpenTTD for me and waiting for Clockwork Empires.

I was hopeful for this, but it looks like a Zynga clone with more production values.

calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    I honestly
    Malkor wrote: »
    TPSou wrote: »

Preaching to the choir methinks.

I guess this isn't going to be for die-hard fans, even though the die-hards will still buy it... I probably will, because I'd still think I might be pleasantly surprised to some degree.

3D engines are really kind of bullshit when it comes to strategy games. We're already playing an abstraction, we don't necessarily need to be immersed in the game to "get it".

And I say this as someone who gave up on The Operational Art of War because it wasn't abstract enough.

• Options
    Shogun wrote: »

I actually didnt like this at first and then it occurred to me that that's how it is in real life. Power lines follow roads, so do sewer pipes and whatnot. So does TV cable, Cell phone towers, etc. They don't all always follow roads all the time, but in any metropolitan area they absolutely follow roads. So it seems like they are trying to reduce certain annoyances. I remember doing water pipes in SC4 and I can see how they are trying to simplify and steamline some technical aspects of a city. I don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. I'm not disagreeing, but I want to see more.

I am not against the idea of underground lines. Hell, I wish we had them back in SC2000, and it was great when we had them locationally in SC4. And I like the option of building sewer lines.

But, in reality, sewer lines are not always under streets, nor or power lines. I can very easily find high-tensile lines running parallel to a given road several blocks away. In real life they follow roads, but in real life, they aren't under them all the time. And given the sort of population densities we're seeing in this game, "metropolitan areas" is being very lenient.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    Shogun wrote: »

I am not against the idea of underground lines. Hell, I wish we had them back in SC2000, and it was great when we had them locationally in SC4. And I like the option of building sewer lines.

But, in reality, sewer lines are not always under streets, nor or power lines. I can very easily find high-tensile lines running parallel to a given road several blocks away. In real life they follow roads, but in real life, they aren't under them all the time. And given the sort of population densities we're seeing in this game, "metropolitan areas" is being very lenient.

I'm still holding out that we're wrong about the size of cities and they're going to surprise us. :(

• Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular

I give you points for hilarity, but I think you guys are judging a tad harsh and a little early. Do we even know what all the features will be in there at release? City size limits, etc.? That preview video was just that, and it was done at a beginner level to keep it simple.

I get the feeling that you guys wouldn't be happy with anything but a remake of SC4 with bug fixes.

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    El Guaco wrote: »

I give you points for hilarity, but I think you guys are judging a tad harsh and a little early. Do we even know what all the features will be in there at release? City size limits, etc.? That preview video was just that, and it was done at a beginner level to keep it simple.

I get the feeling that you guys wouldn't be happy with anything but a remake of SC4 with bug fixes.

Honestly, maybe. I'd love it if we could truly have NYC/Tokyo/London style metropolises in size.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Wait, EA is pricing the new Simcity at $80?

Eighty dollars?

Oh man, I am out for sure.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »

Eighty dollars?

where are you getting that number from?

the official site lists the limited edition (ie. the stanard one) at $60 and the digital deluxe at $80.

and if it's anything like every other game, Amazon,GMG,or any number of other stores will have it for $40 at launch.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options

None of us know for sure I guess, but given what we've seen, it's not SimCity.

And yes, I guess to some extent, as a sequel to SC4, we'd want it to be a lot like SC4, with some of the tedium removed, modern graphics, maybe some of this online mutliplayer they're talking about. One would indeed expect it to be a sequel, as that's what it's been advertised as...but what we see being shown of is, at best, a re-imagining.

It may be a great game, will it be a great SimCity game? No idea. Beta starts soon though, so I guess we'll find out.

• Options
    While I'm optimistic, $60 is pretty damn steep for a SimCity game. And it's on Origin. Ugh. Have they gotten any better. I refused to buy BF3 after their shenanigans awhile ago.

• Options
    There's going to be a live preview October 9th, 10amPDT.

http://www.origin.com/maxis-live

Maybe this will answer some of the nagging questions about what kind of game we're going to get.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    Heh, oh cripes so I gave A-Train 9 a try.

The english translation reads like stereo instructions

Sometimes the english text just runs right off the side of the screen

And there's no help at all in the game. It only gives you a link to a manual, which gives you in-depth advise like, "In the train control window you can control the activity of your trains."

Even so it seems fun, if weird and awkward. Oddly even though it doesn't chug on my computer, it still uses up 95% of my CPU at all times

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Given how this is shaping up, Origin is the least of my concerns. You know, it's still possible that we'll have be able to have cities comparable in size to those in SimCity 4. And who knows, maybe there will be mod support. And maybe terraforming won't suck!

If that's the case, Maxis/EA have done a phenomenally crappy job previewing the game so far. That R2-map summed it up well.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    eh, Origin alone means I wouldn't install a free copy of this game if someone gifted it. Let alone pay for the thing.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    I'm not in a position to judge I suppose. I can't remember the last time I bought a game on Steam if I had the option--I don't really like having one more anchor between me and my gaming experience. But what can you do?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Foomy wrote: »
    Nova_C wrote: »

Eighty dollars?

where are you getting that number from?

the official site lists the limited edition (ie. the stanard one) at $60 and the digital deluxe at $80.

and if it's anything like every other game, Amazon,GMG,or any number of other stores will have it for $40 at launch.

Yeah, in the US. Some others others (read: Australians) get "fuck you because we can" prices.

E: holy balls NZ gets fucked even more - 90 for standard and 110 for deluxe, christ

Zxerol on
  • Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    There's going to be a live preview October 9th, 10amPDT.

http://www.origin.com/maxis-live

Maybe this will answer some of the nagging questions about what kind of game we're going to get.

Except everyone will be too busy playing XCOM to watch.

• Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    I'm torn on that video. On the one hand, it looks fun. On the other, it doesn't really look like Simcity.

Also: Who the FUCK thought it would be a good idea to model each individual person, The Sims style? I really don't care that the little 2 pixel high dot is "excited because he found a new job" and "really needs to poop", I want the RCI numbers to stabilize, damnit. They completely missed the point, I think, especially since the small town size is probably due to this kind of pointless detail.

• Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    I'm actually pretty excited about the game.

If I want an extensive, in-depth experience I've got SC4 and mods. This game probably won't be an amazing sequel to SC4. It's going in a different direction, and I'd be lying if I said I hadn't craved the notion of increased city interaction.

I'm not totally sold on this, but I think I'll still have fun with it. That's kind of the important thing. They stopped making perfect games ages ago.

This discussion has been closed.