As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Circumcision does not reduce sensitivity

• ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am very happy without my foreskin. Women feel great inside.

Shogun on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    They'll also modify a kid's genitals without even telling the parents about it if they're at all ambiguous, in some cases.

This practice drives me absolutely fucking nuts. We're so scared of intersexed people that we'll take a knife to anything that isn't clearly a cock or a pussy to make sure it fits into one of our binary boxes. Makes me mad just thinking about it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shoggoth wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    A lot of hospitals do circumcision by default. Meaning if you don't tell them they assume you'll want them to cut off the foreskin.

I don't think that's right.

It is quite surely a dubious assumption. I'm curious how other countries view circumcision in general.

Other countries it is basically done for religious purposes or for medical necessity.

An infant's foreskin is basically free money for the hospital. They resell them to medical research firms for a few hundred dollars each.

DarkPrimus on
  • Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shogun wrote: »

It rather retracts during sex.

Casual Eddy on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »
    This practice drives me absolutely fucking nuts. We're so scared of intersexed people that we'll take a knife to anything that isn't clearly a cock or a pussy to make sure it fits into one of our binary boxes. Makes me mad just thinking about it.

The sick irony is, if they stopped mutilating these kids, there'd be enough of them in the population that people wouldn't be as afraid of them, eventually, like with the homosexual population.

But hey let's keep their population artificially small so we can demonize them more easily.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

The sick irony is, if they stopped mutilating these kids, there'd be enough of them in the population that people wouldn't be as afraid of them, eventually, like with the homosexual population.

But hey let's keep their population artificially small so we can demonize them more easily.

If you ask a woman if she likes her men cut or uncut, she'll be like "uncircumcised? eeewww" but she probably doesn't even know what it looks like.

DarkPrimus on
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It rather retracts during sex.

No kidding?

Sorry, what I'm saying is that I do not believe my sensitivity has been reduced. I have nothing to compare to, but as far as I can tell it feels great. And I guess in that particular moment that is what counts.

As to phimosis

D:

Shogun on
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only reason to circumcize is brought on by social training.

"Do this or you and/or your child will be rejected." or "Do this because the alternative is not the norm and therefor wrong and to be reviled." or "Despite evolution and medicine and shit even creationist idealism the human body is not functional naturally, so you must modify it with a sharp object."

Either it's a stupid social badge or it's pure ignorance.
    "Do this because you want to raise your child Jewish."
    Just because I follow Judaism in a half assed manner doesn't mean that my children shouldn't be given an opportunity to learn about the religion I was raised with, particularly because thats the religion that is practiced by all the family that I have interacted with and, since I want to marry a Jewish girl, will be all the family he interacts with. And if my son, like me, does not want to follow Judaism after his Bar-Mitzvah, then there isn't much of anything lost.
    This is primarily because I have found the arguments so weak. His genitals might be mutilated but, considering the amazing amount of understanding modern medicine has about genitalia, such damage would hardly be irrecovable, and I challenge any of you to find proof of irrecovable damage on anything but an anecdotal basis.
    And as for the idea that he should choose, I note that adult circumcision hurts like a bitch (ask Abraham, you know the one) and if he wants to marry a Jewish girl then he will need to be circumcised, while he will never remember the actual event or its concurrent pain if it is done as a baby, and any girl who refuses to interact with him, sexually or otherwise, is someone who I don't want my son interacting with anyway.
    After all, for heavens sake, its just a foreskin!

Picardathon on
    edited July 2007
    If you ask a woman if she likes her men cut or uncut, she'll be like "uncircumcised? eeewww" but she probably doesn't even know what it looks like.

If she knows she's probably pretty eeewww herself because the thing should be erect. :P

It's amazing what social training can do to people.

Incenjucar on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I am circumcised, I like it in that my dick looks better than a dumb uncircumcised one

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2007
    I challenge any of you to find proof of irrecovable damage on anything but an anecdotal basis.

Nerve endings don't grow back.
    And as for the idea that he should choose, I note that adult circumcision hurts like a bitch

Oh, but it doesn't hurt when it's done as an infant. :roll:

DarkPrimus on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    And as for the idea that he should choose, I note that adult circumcision hurts like a bitch

...who cares?

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2007
    I challenge any of you to find proof of irrecovable damage on anything but an anecdotal basis.

Nerve endings are entirely inconsequential when that area probably has enough to make having someone kicked in the balls hurt like a bitch.
    As for the second, fuck you for ignoring the rest of the sentence, asshole.

Picardathon on
  • HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the head of an uncircumcised penis is more sensitive only before a person goes full gear with sexual activity. It gets marginalized.

Hoz on
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Well, you don't really remember it if it's done as an infant.

I know I sure as hell wasn't cognizant of my circumcision.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2007

Beating an infant is okay, because hey, it'll be too young to remember the pain, right?

Just because they aren't going to remember it doesn't mean you should be doing something that hurts like a goddamn fucking bitch.

DarkPrimus on
    edited July 2007
    "Do this because you want to raise your child Jewish."
    Just because I follow Judaism in a half assed manner doesn't mean that my children shouldn't be given an opportunity to learn about the religion I was raised with, particularly because thats the religion that is practiced by all the family that I have interacted with and, since I want to marry a Jewish girl, will be all the family he interacts with.

You know, I'm an atheist. My dad is an atheist. My mom is sort of a deist, but she never talks about it.

But oh wait I still know ABOUT more religions than most people have HEARD OF.

Nobody is saying hide your beliefs, just don't carve it in to your captive audience.
    And if my son, like me, does not want to follow Judaism after his Bar-Mitzvah, then there isn't much of anything lost.

Except a minor piece of his anatomy.
    This is primarily because I have found the arguments so weak. His genitals might be mutilated but, considering the amazing amount of understanding modern medicine has about genitalia, such damage would hardly be irrecovable, and I challenge any of you to find proof of irrecovable damage on anything but an anecdotal basis.

I'm not sure on the best site for this, not being in a medical field, but here's a quote from one:

"The restoration process is time-consuming, and generally takes anywhere from a year to five years of nearly continuous attention and care. In most men, the entire process takes one to two years. There are a number of methods used, including the following.

* Taping the existing shaft skin with surgical tape and stretching it as far as possible over the head of the penis. This tape is worn virtually all day and night and is seldom removed.
    * Wrapping a ring of tape snugly around the bunched skin of the shaft, stretching it farther.
    * Using a weight or a tension device that pulls the skin even farther.
    "

So yeah, sounds like fun.
    And as for the idea that he should choose, I note that adult circumcision hurts like a bitch (ask Abraham, you know the one) and if he wants to marry a Jewish girl then he will need to be circumcised, while he will never remember the actual event or its concurrent pain if it is done as a baby, and any girl who refuses to interact with him, sexually or otherwise, is someone who I don't want my son interacting with anyway.

Hey did you know. Have you heard. Will you tell.

We have drugs for pain now.

And children can feel pain. I know crazy right.
    After all, for heavens sake, its just a foreskin!

Then leave it the hell alone.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007

Beating an infant is okay, because hey, it'll be too young to remember the pain, right?
    Huh?
    One is a quick removal of some vestigal skin which occurs absolutely one time.
    The other is child abuse.
    How are these connected again?

Picardathon on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Just because they aren't going to remember it doesn't mean you should be doing something that hurts like a goddamn fucking bitch.
    Also we should wasting money on anesthesia for surgery, because hey, it won't remember.

electricitylikesme on
    edited July 2007

I certainly don't remember it.

Shogun on
    edited July 2007
    It's not vestigial.

Incenjucar on
    edited July 2007
    I honestly cannot understand why people even give a fuck.

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »

we should start a club.

Shogun on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Duh, because it's a sacred area and religion is usually involved. Sex and religion in the same issue? I'm surprised there aren't more penis threads.

tyrannus on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Because if we're not going to tackle the little moral issues in our society what chance in hell do we have of tackling the big ones?

electricitylikesme on
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.
    "Why do people care about their dicks?" club. It would be huge!

Hoz on
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.

We should!

We'll call it WTFECAYGFSWGAS (who the fuck even cares about your goddamn foreskin, seriously who gives a shit)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited July 2007

Thanks for sharing!

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2007

Thanks for sharing!

netime

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.

We should!

We'll call it WTFECAYGFSWGAS (who the fuck even cares about your goddamn foreskin, seriously who gives a shit)

You guys should probably start with, reading this thread.

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Hoz wrote: »

we should start a club.
    "Why do people care about their dicks?" club. It would be huge!

If there's a group of people that don't care about their penises, it's men!

Can I join?

Casual Eddy on
    edited July 2007

I am glad my foreskin was removed when I was too young to remember it.

Very glad.

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2007
    You might not remember it but the trauma probably affected the development of your brain in some way. I'm glad my first few days in this world weren't spent having my penis severed.

Hoz on
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.

We should!

If I had ever read a debate about circumcision that even remotely moved me, i might

So, sorry

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • ShoggothShoggoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.

We should!

If I had ever read a debate about circumcision that even remotely moved me, i might

So, sorry

So you're here why? Because you don't like being here?

:P

Shoggoth on
    11tu0w1.jpg
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.

We should!

So, sorry

"Sorry guys, you didn't have any appeals to emotion for me to latch onto."

How about if I get some videos of infants being circumcised, so you can hear them crying in agony? Would that help?

DarkPrimus on
    edited July 2007
    And if my son, like me, does not want to follow Judaism after his Bar-Mitzvah, then there isn't much of anything lost.

Except a minor piece of his anatomy.
    Minor doesn't cut it as far as the inconsequentiality of the foreskin goes. Yes, we're born with it, but its shown in this thread that circumcision goes back to prehistoric times, and we've been okay.
    incenjucar wrote:

I'm not sure on the best site for this, not being in a medical field, but here's a quote from one:

"The restoration process is time-consuming, and generally takes anywhere from a year to five years of nearly continuous attention and care. In most men, the entire process takes one to two years. There are a number of methods used, including the following.

* Taping the existing shaft skin with surgical tape and stretching it as far as possible over the head of the penis. This tape is worn virtually all day and night and is seldom removed.
    * Wrapping a ring of tape snugly around the bunched skin of the shaft, stretching it farther.
    * Using a weight or a tension device that pulls the skin even farther.
    "

So yeah, sounds like fun.
    You almost seem to be purposefully dodging my intent here. I didn't mean the foreskin, I meant greater damage that was mentioned in that article about how 2-10% of circumcisions have screw ups. What I was saying is that such a number is unimportant seeing as how medicine knows so much about penises that the problems should be easy to fix.
    Also, I should have looked up the definition of anecdote before making that post :oops:. What I meant was exactly how many guys are so tortured by the lack of an unimportant piece skin on their wang as to decide to undergo massive amounts of pain to create one.
    Incenjucar wrote:

Hey did you know. Have you heard. Will you tell.

We have drugs for pain now.

And children can feel pain. I know crazy right.
    Thats a pretty fucking serious dose of morphine right there, and the pain goes on pretty long too. And yes, kids feel pain, but is he really going to remember it? Is some pain from the youngest days of his infancy really going to affect him later in life? Really? Also, he won't feel as much pain as he would if he was an adult, because crazy enough just because he's popped out of the womb doesn't mean his nervous system has stopped growing.

Picardathon on
    edited July 2007

we should start a club.

We should!

So, sorry

How about if I get some videos of infants being circumcised, so you can hear them crying in agony? Would that help?

He's probably been that infant crying in agony

Therefore, no sympathy. I mean, it makes sense to me. :p

INeedNoSalt on
    edited July 2007

Coming from the side that gets hilariously emotional about something roughly as consequential as biting off your fingernails.... sorry guys, you didn't have any points or arguments that even tickled my Giveafuckus gland.

Infants cry about everything. They're total bitches.

(speaking of an appeal to emotion!!)

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hear infants crying in agony at the movie theaters. It's just the whole idea of having your penis trimmed is just horrifying because you're so, uh. (pun pun pun nooo) attached to it. You're really just trying to push an emotional response on people when you should just be looking at the health benefits a circumspection offers (and yes I'm aware that it probably does more harm than good.)

But, the way you're going about it now is just kind of childish.

tyrannus on
This discussion has been closed.