As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Red Dwarf] Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas. ... Whatever!

• Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Wow. Watching it now. It is just like old times.

Edit:
    Great episode. I liked that Rimmer was just like his brother all along. Also, the whole ordeal with the phone was perfect.

They must have a science fiction writer on board. The crazy science from the old series back. It is good to see that they are back on their game.

It seems like they are really playing off the idea that the human race is extinct. I guess the core is just artificial life forms now and they are allowing them to keep Red Dwarf. This is probably due to it being too old.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    So, how can someone who has no cable watch this in the US without resorting to any shady activities?

• Options
    SiskaSiska Shorty Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    So, how can someone who has no cable watch this in the US without resorting to any shady activities?
    Netflix has the old episodes. Not on streaming though I don't think.

Siska on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Adequate episode. Just fine.

I'm ambivalent about them completely ignoring both series 8's ending and Back to Earth's designs. On the one hand, Back to Earth probably did the right thing by wilfully ignoring continuity, on the other hand I hated the terrible green screen sets. It would be nice to eventually learn what happened after series 8, but I hope they don't spend half the series trying to explain it, which was one of series 8's big problems.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    I get the gut feeling they skipped series 8. How else could they have the old ship back? I guess the nanos could have saved the day.

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Yeah that's one thing I'm confused about, what happened to the red dwarf crew?

• Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Ugh.

Red Dwarf is dead. I am however obligated to watch it's mildly entertaining zombie lurch on towards it's inevitable cancellation.

It wasn't as painful as it could have been, but that's probably the best compliment I can give that first episode for now.

• Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Casual wrote: »
    Yeah that's one thing I'm confused about, what happened to the red dwarf crew?

the super microbe was eating the ship at the end of series 8 and the entire crew abandoned the RedDwarf leaving Lister and the rest behind.

A bunch of things were unresolved like what happened to Kachanski and why Rimmer is dead again.

I suppose Rimmer kneeing death in the groin didn't do the trick...

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Just watched it. Awesome. I really enjoyed that. :D

• Options
    MuddypawsMuddypaws Lactodorum, UKRegistered User regular
    Agree. I wasn't expecting much and I got much more than that.

Quite a few LOL moments and running gags, the best being the goofy 'crashed' hologram moments :lol:

The Cat looks exactly the same, why does an android have eye wrinkles, Lister looks like my dad, and Rimmer has aged too though not so badly. The only thing unchanged (besides the Cat) is the chemistry between the cast. I hope the rest of the series is as good.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I thought the final episode of this new series was going to be a flashback explaining what happened at the end of Series 8?

(maybe that was all in this ep, I wouldn't know because I missed it goddammit.)

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Man, I had to watch that phone freakout three times. It's hilarious.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    The slow motion bit had me in stitches when he slowly lifted the phone to his ear.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I actually never minded Kochanski that much

Mostly because how much Kryten hated her

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Back to Earth set after Series X? I seem to recall dialogue in BTE saying it was set after both series IX and X.

Anyway, my partner and I just watched Trojan, and we both really enjoyed it. It felt more classic RD than Back to Earth was. The first time I watched Back to Earth, I liked it, but that was before I'd seen Blade Runner for the first time. After I watched Blade Runner, I was just really disappointed by how much was taken from it. It wasn't just a general homage - it was... it was too much like Blade Runner with the Red Dwarf crew, which really annoyed me.

Trojan was much better, though. I have hope again for future Red Dwarf. :D

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Pretty sure Kochanski will be back anyway. And/or Holly.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Back to Earth takes place after some series that didn't happen and is never really detailed. It was an excuse to ignore series 8.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Back to Earth seemed to take place on a fancier and cleaner Red Dwarf. I like that they scaled it back for the series.

Norman seems to have had enough of Red Dwarf. So, no more of original Holly. Still, this does leave it open for Hattie to come back. If they wanted, they could even go with an entirely new actor. I assume the ship's A.I. finally broke down. All they would have to do is pick up a new one somewhere.

Really, it would make for a great story if they find out that parts of the ship are starting to degrade and they have to find a way to repair it.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Krathoon wrote: »
    Back to Earth seemed to take place on a fancier and cleaner Red Dwarf. I like that they scaled it back for the series.

Norman seems to have had enough of Red Dwarf. So, no more or original Holly. Still, this does leave it open for Hattie to come back. If they wanted, they could even go with an entirely new actor. I am assume the ship A.I. finally broke down. All they would have to do is pick up a new one somewhere.

Really, it would make for a great story if they find out that parts of the ship are starting to degrade and they have to find a way to repair it.

IIRC they mentioned it in Back To Earth, there was a flood or something, and Holly's hard drive was destroyed. Or they were just waiting for it to dry out?

I finally caught this ep! It was, to be honest... excellent. More o' that, thanks.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    Yeah, I really want Hattie back. :)

• Options
    Another perfectly acceptable episode. Thought the subplot with the Chinese whisper was kind of dumb and going nowhere, but then it ended up doing something. Still an obvious plot device, but everything else was good enough or great. Obvious highlight was Lister using the new AI to outsmart himself with the recordings. Classic Red Dwarf.

stream
  • Options
    edited October 2012
    Ah, we have a new A.I.. I will have to check it out.
    Well, no new A.I. just yet. I liked the whole Dad bit though.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    If you have seen the trailer, apparently they go to biblical times in the next one.

• Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Dammit, I have not been able to use Dave's on demand service. Is there anything wrong with it? I can log in but when I attempt to watch a show it either logs me or does not play

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    If you have seen the trailer, apparently they go to biblical times in the next one.
    Yeah, that episode went in some... weird directions, to say the least.

At least they showed the courage to do something Doctor Who might never do.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    It was ok, but the least funny of the episodes so far. I liked their assembly of the shower. Duct tape everywhere.

I love the model they are using for Red Dwarf. It gives it a way more realistic feel. It is also cool that they are using the old trumpet theme now and then.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Bullshit!
    Rimmer is an Seventh Day Advent Hoppist!

otherwise a fun episode.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Sooo jealous of you all watching the show.
    Can't wait to see it over here in Canuckistan

• Options
    Crotch bomb. :lol:

• Options
    The hard-light/soft-light thing was a bit weird, since Rimmer's light-bee couldn't have followed him through the door.
    Ah well, nitpicking.

• Options
    edited October 2012
    Didn't they even have a bit with a light bee in the first episode? That was kind of grating. That is basic Red Dwarf knowledge.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    Yeah it's freaking annoying. It's so easy to make it work too. Just mention that the only way in is a small pipe and have Rimmer's light be go in. Same story, wouldn't cost them anything extra... it's just plain annoying.

• Options
    Clown ShoesClown Shoes Give me hay or give me death. Registered User regular

By the power vested in me as a UK citizen*, I hereby dub these "shady activities" to be a cultural outreach programme.

Fill your boots.

*none whatsoever

• Options
    edited October 2012
    I totally missed this hard light/light bee scene. Where was it? :o

I did think Rimmer saying his parents were Church Of Judasists was weird. 7th Day Advent Hoppists? ;D

Ed; oh I'm an ep behind, that's why. XD

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I totally missed this hard light/light bee scene. Where was it? :o

I did think Rimmer saying his parents were Church Of Judasists was weird. 7th Day Advent Hoppists? ;D

Ed; oh I'm an ep behind, that's why. XD
    yes his family's bible had a typo in it.
    "And now abideth faith, hop, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is hop."
    And they were extremely literal.

• Options
    The current episode was back to form.

• Options
    Considering it's Naylor penning all these scripts by himself, I've been pleasantly and consistently surprised by the quality. Lady Cyv and I have been alternating between rewatching series I through VIII and watching series X, and series X is holding its own remarkably well, particularly considering how BtE turned out.

• Options
    It's ironic, considering that they shoved the only other living human being out of an airlock.

Lister ought to be really angry with Rimmer, but he's having sex with vending machines instead. :lol:

• Options
    Well, I just found out why the exterior shots have been looking so good this series - turns out they've gone back to physical models. Which is awesome.

• Options
    That was a brilliant episode. Finally, some space battles! Rimmer grows a spine! As you say, the model work looks awesome. :)