As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2013 Hotel Discussion Thread [link in OP]

• KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    F5, ad nauseum. :)

Ln5yLL7.png
  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    You and me both, @Krissta

Who is going to PAX South?
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    keeping all the pertinent pages open and waiting until they drop .... hoping hoping

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • Lady AmaltheaLady Amalthea Registered User regular
    They don't usually release Hotels on the weekends do they?

Who is going to PAX South?
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    Just a quick question:

The last 2 years, I've done room shares and paid people who reserve rooms for space. This year, I want to try and book my own room, either at the Westin or the Seaport. Being a poor-ish college kid, I plan on opening my room for a share as well, but I want to lock down one of these two locations.

If i were to place the reservation with my Debit Card, but indicate that I want the transaction run as Credit [it's what my bank prefers], will I be charged up front/charged a deposit? I know previous posters have said Debit transactions are charged, I'm just hoping this isn't the case if the transaction is run as credit.

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • tisaniantisanian HartfordRegistered User regular
    With that, do they do the pre-auth/put a hold on the card when you book through OnPeak, or when it gets transferred to the hotels when you use debit?

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    ottoman673 wrote: »
    Just a quick question:

The last 2 years, I've done room shares and paid people who reserve rooms for space. This year, I want to try and book my own room, either at the Westin or the Seaport. Being a poor-ish college kid, I plan on opening my room for a share as well, but I want to lock down one of these two locations.

If i were to place the reservation with my Debit Card, but indicate that I want the transaction run as Credit [it's what my bank prefers], will I be charged up front/charged a deposit? I know previous posters have said Debit transactions are charged, I'm just hoping this isn't the case if the transaction is run as credit.

i think that previous discussion was about whether you are charged at check-in or check-out by the hotel. i have in the past used both credit and debit cards and never been charged anything prior to arriving at the hotel (don't recall if i was charged at check-in or check-out).

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    You don't get charged. They just place a hold on those funds and they are unavailable to you. This is for debit.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • KapolKapol Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote: »
    You don't get charged. They just place a hold on those funds and they are unavailable to you. This is for debit.

What if you don't have enough in your account? Do they just hold what you do have?

Also, concerning that questioning, I questioned them on if they charge you or not and this was the response:

Hello,

We thank you for your request. Nothing is charged at the time you book. The hotel will have the right to charge a deposit to the card after 2/25 so you will want a valid car on file bvy that time. Thank you.
    Any further questions or concern, please contact us at 1-866-220-9473 OR 1-312-527-7300 OR email to pax@onpeak.co. You can also check our website at http://east.paxsite.com/

Thank you for your attention,
    PAX EAST OFFICIAL HOUSING

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    Kapol wrote: »

What if you don't have enough in your account? Do they just hold what you do have?

Also, concerning that questioning, I questioned them on if they charge you or not and this was the response:

Depends on your bank's policy on what happens with the hold. On deposits, it probably just depends on what hotel you book with. Granted it was prime, I stayed at the Seattle Sheraton and used a debit card and did not see a deposit hold on my card before pax. At check-in, they put a hold on my card for the stay+incidentals. A few days after checkout, they charged the card. Though, YMMV.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Jindrax wrote: »
    Kapol wrote: »

Depends on your bank's policy on what happens with the hold. On deposits, it probably just depends on what hotel you book with. Granted it was prime, I stayed at the Seattle Sheraton and used a debit card and did not see a deposit hold on my card before pax. At check-in, they put a hold on my card for the stay+incidentals. A few days after checkout, they charged the card. Though, YMMV.

this has been my experience with the westin waterfront also, nothing charged or held before you arrive for check-in. i didn't even realize hotels had the option to charge a deposit before then, but i can confirm at least that the westin has never done this.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • gmrchick73gmrchick73 Registered User new member

If you make a deposit online or on the phone a debit card has to go through as a credit card. It can only be used as a debit card if you are there in person to punch in the pin. I've stayed at the Westin and they have not held money for the deposit.

As far as holding money, in my experiences, if you use a debit card they may hold a certain amount on the card because the card is using your bank account because you have so much money available. This depends on the hotel, and again not the Westin in Boston in my experience and have stayed there the last to PAXEasts.

• nataliepinataliepi Rogue Astronomer PARegistered User regular
    I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Brookline/Boston, which was pretty decent and there was shuttle that ran often between the hotel and the convention center. I hope to get the Holiday Inn again, simply because it was more affordable. It is a bit further away from BCEC than the other hotels but maybe, there will be another shuttle this year?

PAX East 2013 Checklist: 3-Day PAX Badge [x] Hotel [x] Travel [x] Time Off [x]
    t: @nataliepi | fb: fb.com/hernandeznlh
  • TheCarpeTheCarpe Registered User regular
    nataliepi wrote: »
    I stayed at the Holiday Inn in Brookline/Boston, which was pretty decent and there was shuttle that ran often between the hotel and the convention center. I hope to get the Holiday Inn again, simply because it was more affordable. It is a bit further away from BCEC than the other hotels but maybe, there will be another shuttle this year?

I've stayed at the Brookline the last two years and have zero complaints. It's cheap, and you get your own shuttle. The staff have always been accommodating, lots of common area usually filled with games and socialization, and there's plenty of stores and restaurants in walking distance.

That said, I'm watching this thread like a hawk to jump on the Westin this year. I've been too late for it the last two years and, while the Brookline is perfectly nice, I've always envied the people in the Westin.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    There's really something about being able to go between your hotel room and PAX without going outside... especially if it's hot/cold/raining/snowing outside. That's what keeps me in the Westin, even if it's a few more bucks per person and I have to stalk OnPeak to snag it (either when the block opens or as people cancel). I love convention centers with tons of hotels attached to (or at least immediately adjacent to) the building.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Why does OnPeak ask for a password on the registration page? Does this mean that it's not live yet?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Imsorad wrote: »
    Why does OnPeak ask for a password on the registration page? Does this mean that it's not live yet?

That's correct.

• ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    That's correct.
    Mother humperdink. Well, at least the PAX East site has been updated for 2013!

• The_Doctor1The_Doctor1 Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Looks like they are getting closer... The PAX East site just updated the dates for 2013 and have their first news post. http://east.paxsite.com/news/a-big-day-for-pax-east

Edit: And since I nearly killed my F5 key, I was able to get in the Westin :-)

The_Doctor1 on
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: [X] Time off [X] Plane Ticket [X] Hotel [X] 3-Day Pass [X] BYOC Pass
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Is there a link that goes right to the registration site that doesn't have pax in the address? The primary pax east site is blocked at work and I'm nervous I'll miss getting a room because of it.

Let's hold off on posting a link in here until it's actually working. No need to crash the system before it's really open.

It appears that hotels are ready to go

http://bit.ly/E13Hotels

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular
    System is up. Book away.

vttym wrote: »
    System is up. Book away.

You are so slow ;)

• LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Wow Westin is already gone for departing on the 25th

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • PascualPascual Registered User regular
    Westin gone already... can that be?

• kamahlrfkamahlrf Registered User regular
    Limond wrote: »
    Wow Westin is already gone.

Really? I just finished and received confirmation for the Westin. It was towards the bottom of the list (I booked online after calling and being told to call back later)

edited October 2012
    Edit: Ignore - I was booking group rooms, so the max is 20 rooms for a single group -hence the reason I was seeing limited numbers:

-- Also looks like they might be staggering the room availability this year - every hotel shows no more than 15 rooms available on a given night, so those who come in later might still have a chance. --

vttym on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    Yea it was for departing on the 25th. That it was already sold out on (at least for me) sorry to get everyone a bit nervous.

One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    System is up. Book away.

You are so slow ;)

I made sure I booked my rooms first :P

Pascual wrote: »

I'm looking now and see 15 rooms at the Westin for each night except Thursday. Keep checking.

I'm looking now and see 15 rooms at the Westin for each night except Thursday. Keep checking.

Bah I don't see anything!

• kamahlrfkamahlrf Registered User regular
    Are you using the link via the front page of the PAX East website? I just re-checked the site again and clicked in Check-in = the 21st, Check-out = the 24th, and the Westin Boston Waterfront is still an open, its just all the way at the bottom of the page.

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Just got into the Westin! Going to be so nice hotelling this pax instead of commuting :)

5I7JEDi.png
    You sure you're looking at the right westin? I see 131 rooms available for thurs night, more for fri and sat nights

remember, westin boston waterfront. Not copley

I've got check out on the 25th, all I'm getting is "Westin Boston Waterfront" at the bottom in grey text

I just realized the reason I might be seeing a max of 15 is because i'm booking group rooms, so I guess the max is 20 for a single group. Never mind me :)

I've got check out on the 25th, all I'm getting is "Westin Boston Waterfront" at the bottom in grey text

The 25th would not be thurs, fri, or sat would it? :P I was more referring to @vttym's post

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    I got the Westin too - but only booked Fri/Sat nights (coming from Maine I really don't need anything earlier or later). My son is going to be thrilled - and we got a two double bed room so I'll hopefully get a few to share the cost. Now I just have to make sure I get a pass for us.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    dang that was crazy. thank god I checked this morning

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
This discussion has been closed.