As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Pathfinder & Other Tabletop RPGs] 1d6 Dragons Fall, Everyone Fries

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Huntera wrote: »
    Owlbears for best monster in D&D.

Followed closely by Rakshasa.

never trust a rakshasa

Or rather always trust them to be unstrustable

• Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    I honestly feel like Rakasha are like the Ferengi, in that they're so untrustworthy, that they've mostly circled around again.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Besides the hands, this is how I imagine Rakshasa are truly like:

Rakshasas.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Fire Truck wrote: »
    Wanna remind people of oldschoolhack.net/

I ran a couple sessions of it when my regular d and d group couldn't meet. And I highly recommend it; it hits just the right balance of rules-lite and ridiculous early D&D conventions/tone. Plus it's arena system for tactical combat is something I'm stealing wholesale for my homebrew.

OSH is brilliant, and it is something I too mercilessly crib from at every avenue

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am super looking forward to just having a shitload of things to paint. As I've never done it before and it will be a good oputunity to learn.

Shame they don't ship til march.
    Plenty of time to practice.

Man, when these fuckers start shipping we should seriously get a mini painting thread going. Share tips and paint jobs. I fuckin love painting minis.

Yesssss, do this, Rank

I need the peer pressure to keep me going

rRwz9.gif
  • gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    oh shit, they updated it and it is in fact everything the original investors got, just for $50 more which is still totes worth it!

Definitely. The full Vampire bundle is 240 miniatures, more if you swap out the promotional succubus biker figurine for $25 worth of other minis.

• DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    I just realized I could instantly slap a D&D group together at my campus queer center

This could be very awesome

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    Blake T wrote: »
    I am super looking forward to just having a shitload of things to paint. As I've never done it before and it will be a good oputunity to learn.

Shame they don't ship til march.
    Plenty of time to practice.

Man, when these fuckers start shipping we should seriously get a mini painting thread going. Share tips and paint jobs. I fuckin love painting minis.

Yesssss, do this, Rank

I need the peer pressure to keep me going

I'm definitely up for this! I've been painting my War Machine Pirates recently and they are looking pretty boss, it'll keep me on track for getting them finished

• FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Dubh wrote: »
    I just realized I could instantly slap a D&D group together at my campus queer center

I would be so tempted to make a campaign called 'The Gay Agenda', which was basically every rightwing conservatives conspiracy nightmare come true.

It's just too good a fiction not to parody.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Besides the hands, this is how I imagine Rakshasa are truly like:

Rakshasas.jpg

That is Tawky Tawny. He is the tiger what talks.

edited October 2012
    The best Talky Tawny moment ever was in Final Crisis when he fought Kalibak

so good

Solar on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

I would be so tempted to make a campaign called 'The Gay Agenda', which was basically every rightwing conservatives conspiracy nightmare come true.

My lady suggested I do a game based on Twin Peaks

Now I'm wondering if I should do it

Miss me? Find me on:

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »
    The best Talky Tawny moment ever was in Final Crisis when he fought Kalibak

so good

I love Final Crisis if only for that moment.

IKknkhU.gif
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    I'm kinda sad the reaper minis won't be shipping till march :(

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    Anyone here played both Shadowrun and the Star Wars RPG: Saga Edition? I know I shouldn't since I'm woefully inexperienced with the whole tabletop-RPG deal but I'm kinda interested in dabbling with GMing when it comes to both games and I heard they have pre-made sessions just like PF. So I wanna know which is the better game to dip my toe into or at least which one's less punishing to newbies.

Owenashi on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Saga edition is the best iteration of the d20 ruleset, so itd be easy to transition from PF. Also its the second best Star Wars RPG after the WEG one. Well, at least until the fantasy flight one gets released.

Shadowrun is pretty great, and has a silly, if charming setting, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to newbies. Lotta people have trouble with build points.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

that would actually rule pretty hard if you do it call of cthulhu style, or maybe the white wolf games

mostly RP and social/utility skills, little bit of combat

that would mostly be Deadly Premonition PnP though

edited October 2012
    Saga edition is the best iteration of the d20 ruleset, so itd be easy to transition from PF. Also its the second best Star Wars RPG after the WEG one. Well, at least until the fantasy flight one gets released.

Shadowrun is pretty great, and has a silly, if charming setting, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to newbies. Lotta people have trouble with build points.

What are the WEG and fantasy flight versions? And build points are like that non-diceroll way people can set up their initial stats in PF, right?

Owenashi on

that would actually rule pretty hard if you do it call of cthulhu style, or maybe the white wolf games

mostly RP and social/utility skills, little bit of combat

that would mostly be Deadly Premonition PnP though

definitely low combat going on

I'm wondering which system I should use

I have a Mutants & Masterminds 3e kicking around somewhere. Call of Cthulhu would rock it pretty hard, though. I'd probably throw out or lighten the sanity rules a bit, though. Everything else is perfect.

Funny enough, a friend and I were working out a vampire story, like, shit, seven years ago. It took place in Klamath, Oregon. This was thought up before we saw Twin Peaks, and when True Blood aired.

Definitely more of the former, and none of the latter for this game idea.

Guess I'll have to see the Oregon wilderness is person. I'm sure the Oregon forumers would want to hang out, too.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    Owenashi wrote: »

What are the WEG and fantasy flight versions? And build points are like that non-diceroll way people can set up their initial stats in PF, right?

WEG Star Wars has been out of print for like two decades, and the Fantasy Flight Star Wars is in beta testing right now.

And build points are more like...

Your character is a literal blank slate, and there are no such things as classes. You have this gigantic pool of points that you use to spend on different aspects of your character. You spend some of those points on their initial stats, which race they are, their skills, their special abilities like magic or perks, how much money they have and what their standard of living is, what kind of contacts they have and how influential they are. Stuff like that.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited October 2012
    For a Twin Peaks game, I'd probably go with either the base New World of Darkness system (or possibly the lowest power tier of Hunter) or Unknown Armies. While I have endless affection for Call of Cthulhu I find its actual mechanics a bit clunky. I don't think the point of Twin Peaks is to have everyone constantly failing to do anything.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    in other completely unrelated news I am SUPER STOKED about the Mage: the Awakening game I am slowly (slooooowwwwwwly) piecing together.

rRwz9.gif
    Anyone here played both Shadowrun and the Star Wars RPG: Saga Edition? I know I shouldn't since I'm woefully inexperienced with the whole tabletop-RPG deal but I'm kinda interested in dabbling with GMing when it comes to both games and I heard they have pre-made sessions just like PF. So I wanna know which is the better game to dip my toe into or at least which one's less punishing to newbies.

Saga Edition is really great in some ways but has bizarrely punishing rules for healing. Get into a fun Star Wars-style running laser chase? Hope you like having your dude laid up in the bacta tank for, like, two weeks. It really, really, really needed 4e-style healing surges.

rRwz9.gif
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    edited October 2012
    For a Twin Peaks game, I'd probably go with either the base New World of Darkness system (or possibly the lowest power tier of Hunter) or Unknown Armies. While I have endless affection for Call of Cthulhu I find its actual mechanics a bit clunky. I don't think the point of Twin Peaks is to have everyone constantly failing to do anything.

i always feel like base nWoD and the cell level of HtV are basically the same thing after a little while

base nWoD is better if you're starting with characters who have never experienced Spooky Shit before though

Buttlord on

Saga Edition is really great in some ways but has bizarrely punishing rules for healing. Get into a fun Star Wars-style running laser chase? Hope you like having your dude laid up in the bacta tank for, like, two weeks. It really, really, really needed 4e-style healing surges.

It doesn't have any sort of quick-heals in the same vein as D&D potions like say bacta-patches?

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I really want to play a table top game.

Someone come to ohio and play Warmachine or D&D with me?

• RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    Oh my god I am installing windows on the computer in my wife's office and the only mouse we could find after the move was an ancient roller ball mouse and this fucking piece of shit is worse the hitler holy fuck how did we use these goddamned things

8406wWN.png
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    We did with the sensitivity turned right down.

Oh my god I am installing windows on the computer in my wife's office and the only mouse we could find after the move was an ancient roller ball mouse and this fucking piece of shit is worse the hitler holy fuck how did we use these goddamned things
    Ah yeah, cleaning the gunk out of the rollers.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular

can you believe those things were the best we could come up with for like thirty goddamn years

Sometimes like, a hair or something would be wrapped around the roller.

And you have to pick at it for like 10 minutes to get it unwrapped.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

can you believe those things were the best we could come up with for like thirty goddamn years

And we put a man on the moon!

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Back when I had my 286 in around 90/91 or so our mouse didn't have a trackball. It's was like a laser sensor mouse of sorts. (It still didn't work that well)

Buttlord wrote: »

i always feel like base nWoD and the cell level of HtV are basically the same thing after a little while

base nWoD is better if you're starting with characters who have never experienced Spooky Shit before though

Yeah I tend to agree

rRwz9.gif

It doesn't have any sort of quick-heals in the same vein as D&D potions like say bacta-patches?

It has a couple things like that, and Force healing, but all of those are wildly outscaled by the kind of damage you're likely to take, even at low levels.

rRwz9.gif

It has a couple things like that, and Force healing, but all of those are wildly outscaled by the kind of damage you're likely to take, even at low levels.

Ah, ok. I guess if I could always house-rule a boosted healing item in if that's ok. I just really want to give it a shot, you know? I'm not a major Star Wars fan or anything but I like the setting and I like the possibilities the RPG offers for it's players to have fun without having to drag in any of the canon characters. It was reading a couple of stories in another forum that inspired me to give it a try even though I'm just starting out myself in the tabletop RPG world. Here's one of them to show you what I mean. The guy telling the story belongs to a SW-D20 campaign set in the Rebellion Era where he and his friends are more or less running a Rebel Cell from an asteroid belt.
    Oh man... the trouble isn't having stories, it's trying to figure out which ones are good. 'Cause there's so drat many that it's hard to run a comparison.

The previous game session might be a good one, let's try that. An old, beat-to-hell tramp freighter arrives at our base - one we've never seen before. On board is an R2 droid that plotted the course to our base because apparently, way back in the day (like 20 years ago) it was on a smuggler's route. The freighter looks to have been attacked by poo poo like turbolasers, which means if anything followed it, they're going to find us, which isn't a good thing. So we backtrack to the system the freighter was attacked in, flying our super-sneaky stealthed fast ship.

Remember those droids from The Clone Wars and the first prequel film? Yeah. There are 17 of their battleships blockading and bombarding a planet, each with their assorted fleet tenders and Vulture Droid (fighter) screens on combat air patrol. Our GM admitted after the game that he expected us to bring in our fleet and attack them. He did not expect us to look at them and say "we would like to own those. Let's steal 'em."

After a few misadventures planetside we sneak onto the command and control ship. I've reprogrammed one of the combat droids (the rogers, we call them, as they're the ones always adding 'roger, roger!' to everything) to find the central computer core and turn it off, because the heavily-centralized separatists whose droid army this was designed things really poorly that way. Unfortunately, the infiltration droid did not work well. So we had him try again only this time he's leading a cargo-hauling droid (basically a forklift with a brain) which is loaded with boxes containing us. He got us up to the door of the computer core, which was enough; we jumped out and blew poo poo up.

Turning off the computer core shuts down most of the droids... except for the so-called "tactical droids," who have independent command and control powers. They can run around and issue commands to the other droids, but we've shut down the central communications node (which runs through the main computer core), so they have to do it one at a time. One shows up with eight of the 'roly-polys' - the combat droids from the first prequel film, the ones that turn into balls and roll around before unfolding and shooting things? Those dudes - and is trying to blast its way into the computer core before I can finish reprogramming the computer to accept a new chain of command (at the top? us) and rebooting it.

My character is, as I've said, the techie guy. He is minmaxed specifically for technical skills, and has an absolutely obscene Computer Use skill. He's 18th level (2 soldier/16 scoundrel) and has a total skill of more than 30 (I think it's 32, but I don't have the sheet before me), plus a masterwork slicer rig that gives like +8 to his rolls. Dude's sick. Three rounds until the door breaks, and I have to accumulate a total of more than 150 points.

I have never felt so much tension while rolling Computer Use. Holy poo poo.

We manage to take over the computer core and get it up and running; in dealing with the tactical droids and the four battleships that were on detached duty (and thus not tied to the computer core) we ended up with some losses... and in the end walked away with "only" nine battleships, eight frigates, twenty destroyers, 9,000 Vulture Droids, and just over 5 million extremely crunchy ground troops and the landing ships to deliver 'em.

They're ours now. :)

So yesterday was a good day for gaming

My local store held another Dystopian Wars tournament (Hard Pounding 2, those who play the game will get the joke), the second so far, with about a dozen players attending. Who should win? Yours truly, of course! As the reigning champ, all eyes were on me to see if the title was kept, and it was. Three full scenario victories and over three thousand VPs across the games means first place and bloodiest admiral.

Points mean prizes, of course, and my prize was £30 store credit from first place, and £10 for bloodiest admiral. Now to think what to spend it on...

And then, that evening, a friend of mine started a Dark Heresy campaign. Now, I've had my brush with DH before and never really got into it, but I think this one will be a winner. DH classes for making characters, but then the XP scheme from Black Crusade (which is faaaaar superior). I wanted to play a scummer because why not, and rolled slender, dyed hair and lenses on my appearance.

Fuck it, I thought. Let's go all the way. Character description: An androgynous teenage cross between Ziggy Stardust, Sid Vicious and Keith Flint. Thigh high stiletto leather boots, skintight pants, a spiked leather jacket and an animal print scarf. Neon blue mohawk which goes shiny purple then dark red at the front and forms a long fringe across the face. Dreadlocks at the back. Electric blue lenses with white pupils. More glittery eyeliner than an Adam and the Ants convention.

Starting equipment: Four bottles of illegally distilled alcohol. 3lbs of Obscura and a shot of Rose. One shank (a long handled metal comb where the comb bit has been angled down and sharpened, forming a horrible serrated edge). One revolver that does not revolve very well (ammo capacity: one) and is massively shit (inaccurate and gets hot).

Fuck

yes

edited October 2012
    Oh yeah and we ran into a Kroot warrior hunting down runaway workers in the lower levels.

The Adept cheesed it and provided the bait. Kroot chases, and runs right into a scaffolding pole as it comes round the corner and I home run it's rib cage in. I then (with some lucky rolls) kneecapped the bastard and used my comb to saw it's arm off, before grabbing the massive hunting knife it was carrying and hacked it to bits. Unsurprisingly, this meant I was covered from head to toe in alien blood.

Turned up with the gear we had collected at the drop off point, and offloaded a bunch of supplies to some guard veterans operating rambo style in the underhive. Hilariously, I didn't recognize them for who they were (fucked up perception) and just saw a couple of shady guys checking us out, not a full guard patrol.

Playing in character, I brandished the massive, bloody knife and spat "who the fuck are you looking at" and instead of just killing me they were actually quite impressed. Got a nice little Infamy bonus for that!

Solar on
    edited October 2012
    Well, four sessions into the PF-campaign I'm a part of and The Haunting Of Harrowstone's sure getting interesting.
    Despite worrying a bit about the party-split ala Scooby-Doo to look for clues, we did pretty well. It was a good thing the Half-Elf Witch and Human Paladin teamed up together to go check out the town as while they failed in getting anywhere with the town records in the third session, the Paladin's gold and the Witch's good rolls at the town 'school' netted us 1000 Exp along with some info about the prison. Meanwhile my Half-Orc Gunslinger and the Tengu Alchemist first visited Father Grimburrow in the third session and then the Restlands in tonight's fourth, finding the crypt with the potential stash of anti-spirit items. Shame we couldn't check it or it's acid-tampered lock since the church's acolytes that were tending the graveyard seemed to be tailing us.

The real eye-opening part happened after some mysterious old lady came to the cemetery for lunch, the GM prompting me and the Alchemist to roll for Perception. With the Alchemist getting a winning roll, his player got a message from the DM which made the Alchemist run off back to town, my Gunslinger running after him all clueless after he said something about a message on a gravestone. Finding the Witch and Paladin in town, the Alchemist reveals that he saw a grave marker with the Witch's name on it, the date of death being 100 years ago. Before we could talk much about it, the GM ends the session with the town sheriff walking up to us so he can drag us in for questioning about something that happened to a memorial statue for the guards that died in the Harrowstone fire.

Owenashi on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    auuuuuuuugh i want a fire emblem style 4e gamma world video game so bad

sprite artwork

top down view

start out as an engineered human in the Star of Purity, the dome covered city run by a computer where purestrain humans live. mutant monsters attack and the computer goes haywire. run around the city and explore, discover 48 different power suits, each based on the origins of gamma world so you can have the second of the two required origins. take out the monsters, fix the computer, go off and explore.
    encounter villainous monsters that you can fight and heroic mutants that you can recruit, each with one of the 2303 combos of origins the player didn't pick, each with their own sprite portrait/in-battle sprite, each given randomised stats, armor, weapons, and items

be able to send them to a home base (maybe a lab run by Professor Rat converted from a football stadium?) and let the player choose a party of characters, up to five. go around the world (and to the moon, for the end game) via an overworld, with smaller towns and places to explore

even incorporate the vehicular combat rules, if possible

This discussion has been closed.