As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

2nd Annual PAX East Cult of the Leaf

KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
edited February 2013 in PAX East
Hi all,

I'm not stealing this from Koalabro2- if he wants to take it over, please do!

I just wanted to get this posted out early.

In 2011, Koalabro2 decided the Cult of the Leaf had to exist.

Bluntly put, this is a time for Cigar smokers to come together, and probably laugh at cab lines, and trade cigars and other bits of cigar tools that they don't need anymore.

Last year, an Enforcer gave out spare humidors, and some awesome whiskey soaked cigars (Thank you! I have a present for you this year!)

So, as a tradition, please bring spare cigar awesomeness gear and cigars you don't like to give away. If you don't have either- that's fine! Come!

Heck, come even if you just enjoy a cigar, and don't have any- we'll in all likelyness find one for you (I can't promise anything, but it generally should be true!)

No, we don't care if you smoke backwoods, or acids, or Panacea (My favorite at the moment!) or just some machine-made thing. we hope you smoke good stuff, and might hand you good stuff, but we won't judge you- you are part of the Cult of the Leaf- those who smoke, and laugh at those waiting for cabs in a giant line.

This runs Friday, if it isn't raining, after the Concerts end- so literally right after The Things (tm) are Over. If it is raining, then it is automagically Saturday, and everyone assumes it is still Friday. This means that mentally you get more PAX, so this means we smoke extra cigars. (I'm sorta kidding, I probably will, but you don't have to.)

Anyway, people are encouraged to bring extra cigars (and other gear such as humidors / lighters /etc) that they like, or just don't want, or got in a sampler that doesn't suit their pallet.

There is no sales at the Cult of the Leaf event! Do not bring things to sell! Freely give, or don't. It's fine to bring your own super-awesome-fine-smoke-that-costs-a-billionty-dollars. We don't expect you to share it. But if you do want to share, it's SHARING. Again, no sales. Giving away stuff is awesome though.

Anyway, enough for now.

Smoke some good Tobacco for me before PAX. It's cold up here, so I don't get to smoke much in the winter ;)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
Kiashien on

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Backwoods smoker ftw! I'll be there for sure.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    This seems fun and I just recently rediscovered my love of cigar smoking...could also be a +1.

signature.png
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    if I can make it to east this year I will bring my pipe

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • adastraadastra Registered User regular
    I will undoubtedly have more cigars to give away this time, and I found another unloved humidor in my attic while I was cleaning (those combo deals are always so great but I never need more humidors!).

I'm in, of course. Hopefully my Enforcing schedule and the meetup won't overlap so significantly this time, though I love working nights and this may be a perpetual issue! ;)

• gljvdgljvd Registered User regular
    I'm cetianly going to try to make this. I will bring plenty of local grown and rolled cigars. Hopefully everyone likes that

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    if I can make it to east this year I will bring my pipe

Pipes are absolutely welcome, of course!
    adastra wrote: »
    I will undoubtedly have more cigars to give away this time, and I found another unloved humidor in my attic while I was cleaning (those combo deals are always so great but I never need more humidors!).

I'm in, of course. Hopefully my Enforcing schedule and the meetup won't overlap so significantly this time, though I love working nights and this may be a perpetual issue! ;)

Awesome Adastra. I have a great smoke for you, although you might not want to smoke it at PAX. (It takes 2-3 hours!) It's called a Peacemaker, and it's by far my favorite so far- it just takes too damned long to smoke on a regular basis!

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • SleepSleep Registered User regular
    I still need to try the peacemaker, but you better believe I will be there with the peacemakers little cousin the Panacea Green 660. I may also be sporting a pipe that day my self, though not a nice one.

• The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    ..I will be there. I didn't make the meet this past year, as i got wrapped up in some gaming. But i did have a impromptu small gathering the night after. So. I will MOST CERTAINLY be there.

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
  • rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    missed it last year as i was drinking like a fish at one of the many awesome parties.. but i will make this a PRIORITY this year because i scored a sweet hotel a block away.. NO EXCUSES

• KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    I will make it if I can manage to remain functional that late . . .

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• UnlnvlslblEUnlnvlslblE Registered User regular
    We were so tired last year and missed it! Hopefully we will be staying at the Westin this year and won't have any excuse.

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    Tried to get there last year but passed out at my hotel early. Hopefully this year. I'll definitely bring a couple to share.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I absolutely loved this last year, but my god because I was waiting for the meeting it made the concert feel like it dragged on forever. Now that I have a healthy love for the Protomen I have a feeling this night will be much more energetic. (Assuming they play again of course)

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Will definitely try to attend this year!

5I7JEDi.png
  • TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Id like to participate in this but usually attend in a group and im not sure how into it theyd be. Do you guys hit any bars since it is a Friday night?

Also, id be travelling by bus from NYC and do not own a humidor or anything, how should I go about transporting some cigars? I live by a shop where an older man sits in a window and hand rolls them, wouldn't mind bringing some of those.

Id like to participate in this but usually attend in a group and im not sure how into it theyd be. Do you guys hit any bars since it is a Friday night?

Also, id be travelling by bus from NYC and do not own a humidor or anything, how should I go about transporting some cigars? I live by a shop where an older man sits in a window and hand rolls them, wouldn't mind bringing some of those.

Since its immediately after the concerts, it's about 2 AM... which means just about everything is closed.

An easy way to transport them is in tupperware. If you're packing it up thursday, and traveling to Boston, it should keep fine in tupperware as long as you do smoke it friday night. (The better the seal, the better off you'll be)

In a pinch I've used a plastic ziplock bag, then put it inside crappy tupperware to keep it from getting crushed.

I use These for my humidifier- and a cheap way to make a temporary (or even long term, if you treat it well) humidifier is to grab a mason jar that's tall enough for your cigars and one of these tubes, and throw it all in there.

Yeah bars here are all closed by 2:00 in the A.M. (Damn puritans and their pre 4AM last calls). Also if you happen to have a bit more money and would like to have a more permanent solution than the mason jar or tupperware idea a lot of companies make travel humidors that will work for a few days. My buddy has one and he uses it all the time to transport cigars. Though if your just looking to transport this once totally hit up the mason jar drymistat combo it should work fairly well from all the reports I've heard.

• TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Sleep wrote: »

Yeah bars here are all closed by 2:00 in the A.M. (Damn puritans and their pre 4AM last calls). Also if you happen to have a bit more money and would like to have a more permanent solution than the mason jar or tupperware idea a lot of companies make travel humidors that will work for a few days. My buddy has one and he uses it all the time to transport cigars. Though if your just looking to transport this once totally hit up the mason jar drymistat combo it should work fairly well from all the reports I've heard.

Hm if im not smashed by that time I will definitely try to make it, thanks for advice.

• BarkBark Registered User regular
    I enjoyed a smoke after BYOC ended last year but missed the meetup. I am looking forward to Friday night smoke for this PAX. I hope you can make it Red!

sl1ao1t19fl8.png
    Bark wrote: »
    I enjoyed a smoke after BYOC ended last year but missed the meetup. I am looking forward to Friday night smoke for this PAX. I hope you can make it Red!

Just to reiterate, while Friday is the goal, if it's raining we're going to automatically push it to Saturday. Saturday, if rain, we will change location (which sucks, since it's less visible,) to one of the roofed side doors- it's much less visible, but much drier.

We will always happen Saturday if Friday doesn't occur, the location just might change some.

I or one of the other organizers will post directions far before then ;)

• GhostDanGhostDan Registered User regular
    If you are looking for a easy way to keep your cigars humid I'd suggest a Drymistat tube. You should be able to get them for $7-$10. They are great little tubes, about a size of a cigar, that'll keep a dozen or so cigars at the right humidity (I've seen sites that say they can handle 50, but I've found anything over 20 you start seeing some drying). I use it for my smaller humidor.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Cool, glad to see this has become a tradition. I certainly would have put something up if Kiashien hadn't handled it; my concern though is that, as there's not much to co-ordinate (you've already picked the time, day, and location), this may slip off the main page from lack of activity as the forum gets more active...

@koalabro2 Somehow my whitewater thread from almost 9 months ago is keeping alive. I'm sure we can manage to keep talk going. ;)

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    KoalaBro2 wrote: »
    Cool, glad to see this has become a tradition. I certainly would have put something up if Kiashien hadn't handled it; my concern though is that, as there's not much to co-ordinate (you've already picked the time, day, and location), this may slip off the main page from lack of activity as the forum gets more active...

Actually now that the forums are split up a bit, it should be easier to keep relevant threads on the main page. Also, it's good everyone is excited this early but I wouldn't really worry about page position until a month or two before PAX, especially since this is not a signup event nor does it have a gating cost.

edited October 2012
    Also thanks to the nature of the event (there's generally extra product rollin around for those unprepared and it happens after everything in the city is closing down) I will likely be flying the flag (big honkin cigar/pipe) in my hands all day. Ask kiashien, I almost always have something in my hands to fiddle with. So simply by the cigars being on my person this will instinctually happen all day. If anyone comes up and is interested in the cigar, or possibly pipe, I'm flashin about I'll ask them if they are coming to the cult. If they have no idea what I'm talkin about then I let them know about the meetup.

Sleep on
  • violetvoltagevioletvoltage Registered User regular
    i thought i was the only creep who liked cigars AND gaming in one!

• wolfsblood101wolfsblood101 Registered User regular
    I love cigars, I think itd be awesome to find other cigar smoking gamers =)

Hotel [X] Travel [X] 3 Days of badges[X] Crew[X] ITS ON!
    The Leaf: It comes.

Last year, this lasted until about 3:30 am. Many smokes were had, and many were traded. Seriously, bring what you want to smoke, but don't be afraid to bring something really cool that you like to give away or trade- I really wish I had something awesome to give to people who went to the extreme, giving out humidors and other awesome things. I really like us rewarding each other for giving away fun stuff- and really, everyone who came got something good- we just were fair, and people who didn't have humidors took humidors away, and people who didn't have good smokes got to smoke something neat.

Plus, we all can laugh our buts off at our best video game jokes at the same time.

FYI, I strongly suggest that if you want to try and fire up a (tobacco!) hookah, give a heads up to the police- they'll appreciate it. We had no problems last year, and that's exactly what the hookah-bringing people did. They just called up the Boston PD and told them what they had, and where they'd be, and why, and we didn't have any problems. If you do that, it's extra good because even if a cop wanders over curious we can say we already talked to the department and it's all good.

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    ohhhh...I would LOVE to bring my hookah, sadly I have a great fear of transporting glass items via airplanes...I'll stick with a few good cigars then...but would love a few good puffs of a hookah if anyone is generous enough to allow it!

signature.png
  • laivindillaivindil Registered User regular
    I have a hookah, and live local. Is there really any issue at all with the PD? I've seen hookah's and other things being smoked quite often in the Common. Certainly all those people did not inform BPD. Never seen anyone hassled either. Not to mention Freedom Rally...

PAX East 2012 Attendee. Also going to East 13.
  • ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    As a very recent smoker of cigars, this actually sounds quite amusing. I may have to drop by with a cigar or two. I tend not to smoke at all, and I try to save a cigar for only special occasions, and this seems to be like one of those occasions.

• gljvdgljvd Registered User regular
    are there any good cheap portable humidors for cigars ? I have a local place near me in wayne NJ that rolls their own cigars and I'd certainly bring up a few. I dunno if I'm going to be able to meet up with you all but will try

• metdennmetdenn Registered User regular
    Last year I mean to go, but got caught up in things. This year I definitely want to make a concerted effort to go!

• ShirakShirak Registered User regular
    I hope I'm not out of line with this but,

I'm partial to interior spaces in Boston during March as typically it is quite cold and wet in Boston during that time of year especially so at 2:00 AM.

That being said I'd still like to meet up with everyone and so, if I may, I'd like to propose an add-on outing for all cultists on Thursday or Saturday to possibly start at BCEC, migrate to Regina Pizza on Thacher Street for dinner (seriouly good pizza), then a a short constitutional (.2 mi) to Stanza dei Sigari on Hanover for cigars, booze and conversation till the wee hours or they throw us out.

Stanza is an awsome cigar bar. A tad pricy, but if we buy at least one cigar each and have some drinks no one will bother us if we start pulling out some of our favorites that we brought with.

Let me know if anyone is interested or if I'm totally off base with this idea.

• rewarrewar Boston, MassRegistered User regular
    so i got a bit bored at work tonight and felt like making a 'logo' if you will for the meet up... hope you guys/gals like it..

paxleaf1_zps2c114a86.png

• 9999Damage9999Damage Registered User new member
    Sounds like an awesome time, shame I didnt see you guys last year. I have a box of some awesome Padron 1964 anniversaries, currently my favorite cigar. I'll bring some extra to exchange!

• JayDfromMAJayDfromMA MARegistered User regular
    Padron Anniversaries are amazing smokes. I look forward to seeing some of you this year.....provided I do not stay too late at the parties ;)

• lunkheadlunkhead Registered User regular
    I'll definitely keep an eye out for you guys. I plan to bring a box of in-house hand rolled cigars from my favorite shop. I'm always up for a trade, or just to share.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Shirak wrote: »
    I hope I'm not out of line with this but,

I'm partial to interior spaces in Boston during March as typically it is quite cold and wet in Boston during that time of year especially so at 2:00 AM.

That being said I'd still like to meet up with everyone and so, if I may, I'd like to propose an add-on outing for all cultists on Thursday or Saturday to possibly start at BCEC, migrate to Regina Pizza on Thacher Street for dinner (seriouly good pizza), then a a short constitutional (.2 mi) to Stanza dei Sigari on Hanover for cigars, booze and conversation till the wee hours or they throw us out.

Stanza is an awsome cigar bar. A tad pricy, but if we buy at least one cigar each and have some drinks no one will bother us if we start pulling out some of our favorites that we brought with.

Let me know if anyone is interested or if I'm totally off base with this idea.

I looked into this for last year, but the tobacco shops I called either couldn't give me any information or couldn't set aside room for an event (one of them said "the guy who handles events isn't in today, call back on X day," and I'd call back on that day, only to be told to call back another day. This happened, I kid you not, 10 times before I gave up). Yes, I acknowledge that weather is a huge risk in Boston in March. But, between the inconvenience of trying to get to an offsite location, and the fact that the shops seem not well equipped for events, it seemed like the best option last year.