As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's talk id and Doom

2»

• Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Antibodies wrote: »
    I loved playing Doom 3 Co-OP on the Xbox, and I thought the campaign was great, genuinely fantastic playing it in the dark basement in the middle of the night alone. It was a bit repetitious and oldskool in that it was just left behind in terms of gameplay when compared to the options of HL2 and Halo2 but I enjoy it for being what it is, a gun fest. I hear Resurrection of Evil and Painkiller are good along the same lines, I may pick them up still. Any suggestions?

I haven't played Painkiller for a while, but I got a bit more enjoyment out of it than HL 2. HL 2 being "holy shit the source engine is fucking beautiful" while Painkiller was "Holy shit this is fucking awesome I'm shooting stakes into people".

Not to bash HL 2 at all, I just though Painkiller was that fun.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doom 3 couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It was originally demonstrated as sort of a first person survival horror; killing things didn't automatically solve your problems and even then, it takes a fucking lot to bring something down. Zombies would get up right after you killed them, the Pinkies were god-damned death on legs and the Hellknight? Forget about it; hide and pray for your life. Scares were clever and actually startling (Hmnm, room full of machinery; what's in here.. Oh cool, I can see my faces reflection! Oh waitOHMYGODTHAT'SNOTMYFACEAHHHH!!!!)

Then at some point (I like to think it's about the time they renamed it from "Doom III" to "Doom 3") they decided to make it like oldschool Doom. They lowered the strength of the monsters back to cannon fodder levels (aside from a few of the really bigass guys) and beefed up the weapons. Except the engine can't handled oldshool doom so you were stuck with this super powered weaponry and couldn't use it on more than a few monsters at at time. You would never open a courtyard and find like 20 former humans, 15 imps and a bunch of cacodemons.

'course becuase they thought they were remaking Doom gave them the thought that monster closets would be okay. I remember the first time I sprung a weapon trap and got thrust into a pit filled with zombies I was like "Hahahah.. That was an awesome joke and homage." The second time it happened, I realize it wasn't a joke. id seriously thought it was good level design. Yikes.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I loved playing Doom 3 Co-OP on the Xbox, and I thought the campaign was great, genuinely fantastic playing it in the dark basement in the middle of the night alone. It was a bit repetitious and oldskool in that it was just left behind in terms of gameplay when compared to the options of HL2 and Halo2 but I enjoy it for being what it is, a gun fest. I hear Resurrection of Evil and Painkiller are good along the same lines, I may pick them up still. Any suggestions?

I haven't played Painkiller for a while, but I got a bit more enjoyment out of it than HL 2. HL 2 being "holy shit the source engine is fucking beautiful" while Painkiller was "Holy shit this is fucking awesome I'm shooting stakes into people".

You could shoot stakes at people in HL2 as well. (Well, crossbow bolts; but they would still stick people to walls, so that's just as good IMO. :D)

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007

Spawncamping demons was awesome.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, you know, I do love Doom 3, but I have to admit that I probably enjoyed playing co-op versions of the classic games with my friends even more.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Zeromus wrote: »
    Personally, that's exactly what I expected from a game that's basically meant as a remake of Doom 1.

if doom 3 had been a remake of doom 1 i would have loved it. instead you were stuck fighting 2 or 3 enemies at a time in cramped dark corridors the entire time.

i recently replayed doom, doom 2, and final doom with zdoom and they remain basically my favorite games ever. the gameplay has aged very well imo. plus the co-op is just awesome.

also i wish id would ever have made a sequel to quake 1, since its by far my favorite of the quake games. i guess they wanted to branch off into boring space marines and strogg whatever instead.

Quake 2 was never intended to be a sequel to Quake 1, but a completely separate IP. Unfortunately, they had copyright issues with the original name they'd gone with, so they just called it Quake 2. I figure Quake 3 was a truer sequel to Quake 1, but of course they didn't have a single player component.

I think it goes to show that with the advent of Quake 1, id started focusing heavily on the multiplayer tournament aspect of the games, because their games are used the most. Quake 4 may not have been fantastic for some people, as far as single player is concerned, but the multiplayer is "dope", and is used heavily for tournament play.

At this year's Quakecon, they're having a tournament called Quad Damage, where the contestants have to play all 4 Quake games against each other each round. It's going to be awesome.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doom 3 couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It was originally demonstrated as sort of a first person survival horror; killing things didn't automatically solve your problems and even then, it takes a fucking lot to bring something down. Zombies would get up right after you killed them, the Pinkies were god-damned death on legs and the Hellknight? Forget about it; hide and pray for your life. Scares were clever and actually startling (Hmnm, room full of machinery; what's in here.. Oh cool, I can see my faces reflection! Oh waitOHMYGODTHAT'SNOTMYFACEAHHHH!!!!)

Then at some point (I like to think it's about the time they renamed it from "Doom III" to "Doom 3") they decided to make it like oldschool Doom. They lowered the strength of the monsters back to cannon fodder levels (aside from a few of the really bigass guys) and beefed up the weapons. Except the engine can't handled oldshool doom so you were stuck with this super powered weaponry and couldn't use it on more than a few monsters at at time. You would never open a courtyard and find like 20 former humans, 15 imps and a bunch of cacodemons.

'course becuase they thought they were remaking Doom gave them the thought that monster closets would be okay. I remember the first time I sprung a weapon trap and got thrust into a pit filled with zombies I was like "Hahahah.. That was an awesome joke and homage." The second time it happened, I realize it wasn't a joke. id seriously thought it was good level design. Yikes.

Exactly.

Remember those bits in Doom and Doom 2 where there'd just be a courtyard with thirty, maybe forty guys all trying to kill you at the same time? And you had no option but to just run and gun like a mad man, trying to force enemies into hitting each other to get them to fight, grabbing spare health and ammo as you were sprinting like a mad man and getting blasted. For me it was those bits that made Doom fun.

Brolo on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Personally, that's exactly what I expected from a game that's basically meant as a remake of Doom 1.

if doom 3 had been a remake of doom 1 i would have loved it. instead you were stuck fighting 2 or 3 enemies at a time in cramped dark corridors the entire time.

i recently replayed doom, doom 2, and final doom with zdoom and they remain basically my favorite games ever. the gameplay has aged very well imo. plus the co-op is just awesome.

also i wish id would ever have made a sequel to quake 1, since its by far my favorite of the quake games. i guess they wanted to branch off into boring space marines and strogg whatever instead.

Quake 2 was never intended to be a sequel to Quake 1, but a completely separate IP. Unfortunately, they had copyright issues with the original name they'd gone with, so they just called it Quake 2. I figure Quake 3 was a truer sequel to Quake 1, but of course they didn't have a single player component.

I think it goes to show that with the advent of Quake 1, id started focusing heavily on the multiplayer tournament aspect of the games, because their games are used the most. Quake 4 may not have been fantastic for some people, as far as single player is concerned, but the multiplayer is "dope", and is used heavily for tournament play.

At this year's Quakecon, they're having a tournament called Quad Damage, where the contestants have to play all 4 Quake games against each other each round. It's going to be awesome.

They have to play all 4 at the same time?

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »
    Centipeed wrote: »

They have to play all 4 at the same time?

No, they play one after the other. Each pair of contestants in the elimination tournament plays Quake 1, 2, 3 and 4 in a row. There's more details on some websites I could look up, but I've forgotten the exact system.

Centipeed on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

You could shoot stakes at people in HL2 as well. (Well, crossbow bolts; but they would still stick people to walls, so that's just as good IMO. :D)

Also toilets and saw blades.

Brolo on
  • Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I can't say I cared for Doom 3 that much, either. It was made slightly better once co-op play was added, but I was expecting a remake of Doom to be more like the original. As it stands, RE4 is a lot closer to the original Doom than Doom 3 was.

Not to say Doom 3 is a bad game. It just needed something extra to make it more appealing.

Voth on
    reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I didn't really enjoy Doom 3 much, mostly because it felt like it was trying too hard to create atmosphere and a storyline and this fleshed out world when all I really wanted was a Run and Gun, blow the fuck out of monsters mindless awesome rocking the fuck out action. For me, that's what doom is all about. Being a Berserker packing Man and a Half, punching monsters because they have HUGE GUTS! RIP AND TEAR! It was never a scary game, it was a HUAAAH FUCKING MANPOCALYPSE TESTOSTERONE OVERLOAD game. Less flashlights and monster closets and more Doom 1 Level 1 music.

They just took it in the wrong direction in my opinion.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    TelMarine wrote: »
    Quake is a series I thought had an interesting "phenomena" if you will. All four are pretty different than one another and each have their rabid fans. Some people only like one (ex. just Quake1) or have only played one and never the rest. I always thought it was interesting how split it is.

Indeed. I love Quake II. Quake was crap and Quake III Arena is an unholy abomination that should never have been made ever. I don't really have an opinion on Quake IV.

As for me, I love what Doom did, and it's a terrific game. I like Doom II a lot more, though, and I hope they bring it to XBLA. As much as I loved Doom and Doom II, Heretic beats them all (including Hexen) for multiplayer funness. Nothing funner than polymorphing your friends and family into chickens.

And though I started off hating Painkiller, I think Painkiller is honestly the best "Doomlike" game ever made.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    skaceskace Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't hate Doom3, I enjoyed the single player, but I do see a lot of faults with it. It's sad when the best thing for it is cdoom and lastmanstanding mods so you can play the original episode co-op. It really shows you that Id either can't figure out what made their own games good or keeps failing at trying to break out of a typecast. The only thing I don't understand is why they want out of their own typecast when they are the only ones that have ever done it so good.

Anyone who enjoys playing Doom1 and Doom2 co-op would probably also enjoy Quake1 co-op. Quake1 shared a lot of similarities with Doom2, except for the fact that a lot of the maps are narrower/smaller. Both Quake1 and Doom2 have a sort of unrealistic world of levels that are made out of puzzles, lots of odd traps, nonsensical layouts, etc.

skace on
    http://picasaweb.google.com/skacer | Shiren:5413-0147-4655
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    skace wrote: »
    I don't hate Doom3, I enjoyed the single player, but I do see a lot of faults with it. It's sad when the best thing for it is cdoom and lastmanstanding mods so you can play the original episode co-op. It really shows you that Id either can't figure out what made their own games good or keeps failing at trying to break out of a typecast. The only thing I don't understand is why they want out of their own typecast when they are the only ones that have ever done it so good.

Anyone who enjoys playing Doom1 and Doom2 co-op would probably also enjoy Quake1 co-op. Quake1 shared a lot of similarities with Doom2, except for the fact that a lot of the maps are narrower/smaller. Both Quake1 and Doom2 have a sort of unrealistic world of levels that are made out of puzzles, lots of odd traps, nonsensical layouts, etc.

Quake is just too dark and ugly for my taste. It's drab and colorless.

Drez on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Drez wrote: »

Quake was truly ahead of it's time, it's taken this long for other FPS developers to come close to Quake's amount of brown.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doom 3 wasn't bad, and neither was Quake 4.

Doom 3 I really enjoyed because the level design was pretty decent for what it was, and the stuff you didn't really see (PDA audio logs for example) were fucking awesome, and I think the story and flow of the game was pretty good. A good doom game? Hell no, but a good FPS? I think it sure as hell was.

Quake 4 was absolutely kickass, I think. The weapons had some awesome kick, and I really enjoyed the atmosphere, and the game had so many epic scenes.

And yeah, Doom IS timeless, but I lost my CDs years ago so I can't play it anymore, which pisses me off. I really can't wait to play Plutonia again (which was better than TNT)

Sanius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

Quake was truly ahead of it's time, it's taken this long for other FPS developers to come close to Quake's amount of brown.

Hahahahahah. Too true.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Doom1, Doom2 and Quake all have similar color palettes.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Doom1, Doom2 and Quake all have similar color palettes.

Hardly. Doom isn't known for its levels being entirely brown or dark blue.

That said, I love Quake.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That said, I love Quake.

Brown, Gray and Dark Green. Got a good source of Doom screenshots?

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/stc/stc.php

They will be brown, gray and dark green. So will heretic and hexen (oh snap!).

Now want me to post some Quake1 screenshots?

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007

That said, I love Quake.

Brown, Gray and Dark Green. Got a good source of Doom screenshots?

http://www.doomworld.com/10years/stc/stc.php

They will be brown, gray and dark green. So will heretic and hexen (oh snap!).

Now want me to post some Quake1 screenshots?

Those screenshots show a good variety of colours.

Guess what? FEAR Is all grey too! When you are in a building, there are going to be some colours more used than everything.

Quake literally uses the same colour for everything.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    skace, come on man, don't be that guy that totally rejects reality because you like a game.

All of these images were randomly GISed, for fairness.

Quake:

quake05.jpg
    23quake_screenshot.jpg
    quake3.jpg

I see...mmm...brown. Sometimes gray. But mostly brown.

Doom:

ChocolateDoom_0.1.4.png
    doom_lvl1.jpg
    doom21.gif

I see red, yellow, blue, green, brown, gray, white, black... I will admit that Doom features very little of the color purple.

Quake 1 is pretty much definable by its lack of colors. It's brown, gray, and black, and very dark. Doom 1/2 are nothing at all like Quake 1.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ezquake018.png
    ezquake020.png
    ezquake023.png
    ezquake024.png
    ezquake025.png
    ezquake028.png
    ezquake034.png
    ezquake035.png
    ezquake036.png
    ezquake037.png

And I'm not saying it is a colorful game, I'm saying it's no more different than Doom 1 or Doom 2. Bringing up FEAR was stupid because it has the most bland and uninspired levels in the existence of the FPS genre. It should be noted those screenshots were all from my regular playing settings, colored lighting and other features disabled.

Tenebrae Screenshots: http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screenshots.txt
    Ezquake Screenshots: http://ezquake.sourceforge.net/gallery/

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    ezquake018.png
    ezquake020.png
    ezquake023.png
    ezquake024.png
    ezquake025.png
    ezquake028.png
    ezquake034.png
    ezquake035.png
    ezquake036.png
    ezquake037.png

And I'm not saying it is a colorful game, I'm saying it's no more different than Doom 1 or Doom 2. Bringing up FEAR was stupid because it has the most bland and uninspired levels in the existence of the FPS genre.

And then, of course, there is tenebrae: http://tenebrae.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=screenshots.txt

Man, what? Are you drunk? How do those screenshots not outright prove that Quake is 95% brownish?

Now go GIS Doom and Doom II. The difference is pretty obvious. Doom I and II have a lot of color and Quake I is mostly brown, which you've just proven. Okay, so you have some lava now and then and a stained glass window here and there, but I'm flabbergasted that you think you just proved anything but what I'm saying.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok, those are mods. The original game does not look that colourful.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    The screenshots he posted are from a mod? Regardless, even those screenshots aren't colorful. And, yeah, what palette modders may have used is irrelevant here. We're not talking about what the engine could support, we're talking about the game id made and released as "Quake," skace.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Ok, those are mods. The original game does not look that colourful.

Engines, not mods, anyone who plays Quake these days is going to use Ezquake. Even for coop or any other modes.

skace on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Smacky The FrogSmacky The Frog Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I really enjoyed Doom 3 despite the fact that it doesn't really play like the original. It was mindless fun.

Smacky The Frog on
    wahjahbanner.jpg